YT Decoy thread part 2

Duelsy

Oct 22, 2019
England
Yeah I guess it was more aesthetically unpleasing than anything, given it’s a 6 grand bike. Still it’s a very minor gripe and I love the bike still, it’s a stunner, YT have absolutely nailed it. :)

Duelsy

Oct 22, 2019
England
First time trying to fit the bike in the car this morning, definitely should have tried a test fit last night! I have an A4 saloon and my analogue bike slips in easily with the front wheel off. The decoy was a whole different challenge :ROFLMAO:. The handle bars were catching the boot ceiling even on full lock, wouldn’t even fit with the back wheel off (which I prefer to not remove anyway). Ended up taking the bars off as I was running late, pretty much have to reassemble the bike after work :LOL:. I was pretty careful but hoping I haven’t caught any cables/controls whilst manoeuvring it...

Think if I took the pedal off it would have been slightly easier but didn’t have my tools on me. Will have a play later tonight as I prefer to not drive around with bike racks on display. Will take the rear bench seat out as I never use it, will help the seats drop completely flat.

May need to look at a van at some point.

Duelsy

Oct 22, 2019
England
Car does fit into car with the pedals off, so I have a work around for now. However tbh I think a van is the long term goal as I want to be able to travel/sleep in it too.

Just been on my first ride with the Decoy. Was raining and pitch black, trails were absolutely trashed but it was fucking epic :D. This bike is unbelievably good. It's surpassed all my (very high) expectations. If I wasn't an Ebike convert already then I would be now. However I'm also a YT fan now, everything the bike is perfect. The geometry is spot on and the components are phenomenal.

I was out for 2 hours in boost the whole time and only used 1 bar. Got an error a couple of times 043 but it cleared up with a simple reset, will look into it.

Haven't had that much fun on a bike in a very long time. I'm already buzzing to get back out on it :). Few pictures before I cleaned it down:

20EE523D-7BE6-4A57-A2D4-FDA0458A4F0B.jpeg
BBD373B2-FA49-435D-8CC0-21F20CA14D68.jpeg
891FA7EB-437A-45BE-B2C2-99CE4C828E3C.jpeg
5CD252D7-FF5F-4080-A453-077A096A1A48.jpeg

Duelsy

Oct 22, 2019
England
Cheers mate. The bike bailed me out on one potentially serious error. I went off a drop way to fast and landed a few feet further down than I should have. Normally I would have been catapulted off, as I wasn't ready but the Fox suspension just soaked it all up. Needed almost the entire travel though. :p

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
The too much travel thing definitely seems to be a non issue with ebikes. I had a Capra 27.5 last year and did not enjoy riding it anywhere but the bike park. Capra? Zero issues except for the low BB height, absolutely having a blast on it on any kind of trail.

batboy

Nov 5, 2019
MN, USA
Can some of you post up the stand over heights for a small and medium Decoy? I have a 28" inseam and having a hard time finding a bike with clearance.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Can some of you post up the stand over heights for a small and medium Decoy? I have a 28" inseam and having a hard time finding a bike with clearance.
I have a medium and a 29" inseam. Stand over is awesome. Very similar to my medium 2017 transition scout. Im not sure where to measure from ground to where on the top tube but it has to be one of the best choices for standover. So good i sometimes think i could have gotten a large. Decoy doesnt have the longest reach but i think that keeps it playful with the eeb ldngth chainstay(shortish by emtb standards but not by reg bike standard)

batboy

Nov 5, 2019
MN, USA
I have a medium and a 29" inseam. Stand over is awesome. Very similar to my medium 2017 transition scout. Im not sure where to measure from ground to where on the top tube but it has to be one of the best choices for standover. So good i sometimes think i could have gotten a large. Decoy doesnt have the longest reach but i think that keeps it playful with the eeb ldngth chainstay(shortish by emtb standards but not by reg bike standard)

I would measure from the ground up to where you would normally stand in front of the saddle. Maybe 4-5" away from the front of the saddle to the ground?

batboy

Nov 5, 2019
MN, USA
On my Small, it's 80cm tall halfway along the top tube, flipchip on high, I'm 29" inseam and it's perfect

Thank you for doing this. I wonder how much the standover changes when the flip chip is changed from low to high. 80 cm is 31.5", so you are probably standing behind the middle section to preserve the jewels. :)

Ozone08

Sep 17, 2019
Cheshire
I put the first 15 miles on mine today and so far so good, the front end is really light and responsive the seat on the other hand is AWFUL and will be getting replaced ASAP. Has anybody removed the motor on a Decoy yet to fit a naughty boy chip?

SteveSSS

Aug 14, 2019
Lancaster, UK
I came off a Vitus E-Sommet small onto a medium Decoy. I'm 5'5 barefoot with a 28" inseem , bike fits great to ride but my nuts are on the top tube when I straddle the bike in shoes. Im happy with this but im not looking to have kid's.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I would measure from the ground up to where you would normally stand in front of the saddle. Maybe 4-5" away from the front of the saddle to the ground?

On my medium with the fork at 170 at 4" in front of the nose of the seat(seat set in the middle of the rails) the top of the toptube is exactly 29" from the ground. Its 27" at the top of the top tube from the ground measuring right at the nose of the saddle. I hsve it set in the slack angle. Guessing the steep angle setting will raise it 1/2" ish

batboy

Nov 5, 2019
MN, USA
I came off a Vitus E-Sommet small onto a medium Decoy. I'm 5'5 barefoot with a 28" inseem , bike fits great to ride but my nuts are on the top tube when I straddle the bike in shoes. Im happy with this but im not looking to have kid's.

You have the exact same dimensions as me. Thanks for this. Do you ever feel that you should have gone with a small?

batboy

Nov 5, 2019
MN, USA
On my medium with the fork at 170 at 4" in front of the nose of the seat(seat set in the middle of the rails) the top of the toptube is exactly 29" from the ground. Its 27" at the top of the top tube from the ground measuring right at the nose of the saddle. I hsve it set in the slack angle. Guessing the steep angle setting will raise it 1/2" ish

This is great info, just need a small now. I called YT to ask them for the standover and here is what they told me. S=697mm and M=692mm

It sounds like YT is measuring SOH straight down from nose of the seat from maybe the top of the rail.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
This is great info, just need a small now. I called YT to ask them for the standover and here is what they told me. S=697mm and M=692mm

It sounds like YT is measuring SOH straight down from nose of the seat from maybe the top of the rail.
Not sure what you mean by the top of the rail? I only said the nose of the seat or 4" in front because that is where i measured the top of the top tube to the ground. I think stand over is how much room the twins have when youre straddling the toptube standing on the ground? When youre on the pedals their is tons of room.

batboy

Nov 5, 2019
MN, USA

Not sure what you mean by the top of the rail? I only said the nose of the seat or 4" in front because that is where i measured the top of the top tube to the ground. I think stand over is how much room the twins have when youre straddling the toptube standing on the ground? When youre on the pedals their is tons of room.
Sorry I meant when the seat is in the highest position.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
I don't think static standover is very relevant on a modern MTB. The main thing is to have a short enough seat tube to allow the saddle to drop. I never get on or off over the top tube and when riding never get anywhere near it. It seems like having the same problem as having the saddle low enough to be able to reach the floor while seated ...

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Sorry I meant when the seat is in the highest position.
No they dont. That adds too many factors and besidees its irrelevant. Different models have different brand seatposts and drop.
Standover is measured from the ground to the top of the toptube. Where on the toptube is the question because it has to be a standard for comparison.
Low standover is indeed needed. The funnest bikes ive owned have the most standover. When youre on the pedals the bike has more room to move. Funny shapes happen, especially at slow speeds and the freedom of not hitting the toptube on youre leg helps. Short inseams appreciate it even more

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles