Whyte e-mtb

chris s

May 19, 2020
south wales
hello gents
Just taken delivery of a e150rs.....i have a problem with the rear disc rubbing.
bike shop said check rear axle thru bolt is tight which it is.
When the bike is on the stand it is quiet but as soon as i ride it and its under load the disc starts to rub.
its really loud and annoying
Any tips please
thanks Chris

Vfour800

Feb 24, 2020
Brackley Northamptonshire
hello gents
Just taken delivery of a e150rs.....i have a problem with the rear disc rubbing.
bike shop said check rear axle thru bolt is tight which it is.
When the bike is on the stand it is quiet but as soon as i ride it and its under load the disc starts to rub.
its really loud and annoying
Any tips please
thanks Chris
Hi Chris,
First thing to do is check that you don’t have any debris stuck to disc and the second thing to do and I would recommend you have a torque wrench unless you are experienced with mechanical tightening. Put bike into stand if you can, then undo the bracket that holds the disc brake calliper and then pull break firmly while tightening calliper bolts back up evenly. This should centre calliper to the disc. This may take a few goes to get it running true. There are many YouTube videos to help. Good luck

mingliu

May 23, 2020
London
Spent 2 hrs yesterday at MountainTrax demo'ing the Whyte E150S and the Santa Cruz Heckler. No doubt in my mind the Bosch gen4 motor was quieter, had faster pickup and more responsive when sprinting. Now for the bike handling. The Whyte E150 with the lower centre of gravity was great in tight switchback and accelerating out of corners brought a huge smile to my face. This is a fun bike!

The heckler was sadly underwhelming and given the extra cost of £2.5k I was not overly smittened by the premium brand's entry to the emtb race. No doubt they will sell loads but the Whyte trail/enduro E150 is a great bike backed by great forward thinking design.

I have a few tech questions for owners:

a) What does the bike ride like with 160mm travel forks if you have upgraded the forks ? 150mm is fine for UK but I may want to take it to the alps and the extra travel will help.

b) What is the rear shock eye to eye and stroke length? I can't find this spec anywhere and I have a spare coil shock that may fit the bike.

If you are thinking of getting an E150 go and demo the bike. Highly recommended.

Cheers and Stay safe.

Vfour800

Feb 24, 2020
With the heatshrink, there’s different types, usually categorised by shrinkage ratio. For that application I’d suggest using the largest 3:1 tube that will shrink down to the cable size as that will give the thickest coverage and then add several layers. Adhesive lined tube will stay in place better too.
The heat shrink is not hardy enough for the job and will not last very long. Try using some of this: 3/8
It also comes in 1/4 bore and can be used as sacrificial layer. I use it at work in the Air conditioning industry.
Good luck

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Thanks, I was only expanding on the previous post about heatshrink, but your idea is probably better.

I don't need it as I bought a bike that was designed by someone who was aware of the existence and rear derailleurs and the consequential need for a cable... :ROFLMAO:

Of course, all you Whyte owners could just switch to Di2 or AXS, load the Money Cannon!

1590503409752.png

Last edited:

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
Talk about double standards... bought my wife an E150s last Friday got it home when sat on the garage floor cup of tea in hand really started to struggle with the low slung cable,she’s a little less rash than me so i’m Sure she will be fine,but I just couldn’t pluck the courage up and went Levo Comp.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Where did you get the tube from, can you buy small bits, I have a bike on order and want to protect the cable from the start. So will get some ready. Thanks for the tip. (y)

Last edited:

Vfour800

Feb 24, 2020
Where did you get the tube from, can you buy small bits, I have a bike on order and want to protect the cable from the start. So will get some ready. Thanks for the tip. (y)
Hi Mikey,
I use it at work so I always have plenty in Stock. It Generally comes in a 30 meter roll which is a bit over the top for your needs. It’s fairly inexpensive though, try here: Braided Condensate Hose 1/4" x 30m Black
Good luck

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
For heatshrink to work, you'd have to feed the existing cable through it. Are you doing this? that would take alot of work.
And the reinforced pipe, I take it you're slicing it, end to end, and wrapping it around the cable? Is that right?

My e150RS was in the LBS yesterday for a 504 error to be cleared. I asked if the factory was issuing a modification for the gear cable exit. He seemed surprised I'd squashed mine, but said there were no plans.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Do you know what caused your 504 error? tire change?

I don't anticipate a re-routing fix.
I had an old hybrid tyre, I have cut a length out of the tough centre section.
Feathered it in so that the leading edge sits beneath the plastic bash guard, then secured to gear cable and guard with zip ties.
A bit Heath Robinson, but you can't really see it, and pretty confident it will provide a degree of additional protection.

I was on Dartmoor climbing a steep track, I had 3 bars showing on the battery and suddenly the range went to zero, and the assistance was almost no existant, no matter what mode I tried. What I imagine 'Limp Mode' is.
I switched it off, then back on, and saw 504 error.
A 5 mile ride back to my van, that I would rather not experience again!
I visited my LBS the next day. They plugged in their laptop, cleared the fault, they couldn't find anything wrong, they updated the software (I'm not sure if that was DIsplay or Drive Unit, I don't know what I was on before) and handed it back working fine.
It's 500 miles old, and all standard.
Been perfect otherwise.

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
I have been reading threads on this Bosch Gen4 clacking noise when not under load.

Can't say I hear anything untoward after 900 hard miles, other than the usual MTB noises and the take up in the front free hub.
Anyone on here with a Whyte conscious of this noise on their bike?

Wondering if it is apparent on some frames, or on carbon frames, and somehow attenuated somewhat on the Whyte?
Or maybe, just evident on some motors and not on others?

Or maybe just paranoia ?
Mine rattles like skeletons in a biscuit tin. To be fair it only materialises on mega rocky fast descents. Annoyingly that’s most of the Peak District where I live/ride. It sounds like a bad case of chain slap.

Now if Bosch could fix that and Whyte sort out the cable routing that would be perfect ?

I also ride an Evil Insurgent, that thing is eerily silent.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles