Whyte E-180s new owner

Peter1979

Jun 7, 2021
South West uk
Just taken deliver of a Whyte E180s in medium.
First impressions after installing pedals and setting up suspension, checking torque on bolts etc are that the size is fine. I probably could have gone for a large but the medium feels very similar to my canyon spectral so should be easy to switch between the two, maybe the large might have been more roomy reach wise but my seat post on the medium is slammed and with the dropper at full extension it sits perfectly for my inside leg. (Short legs long arms).
Took it up and down the lane behind my house and tried to pull a wheelie, found it hard to lift the front wheel so stuck it in turbo and promptly looped it out, almost landing on my backside. ?
Once I was happy with size and that everything works I took the reflectors off and the dork disk and rode it around the local roads and immediately got an error code 503. Pretty miffed to have this error so soon, searched Google and saw that it was a sensor alignment error code. To be honest the sensor looked find as it is bolted to the frame and the magnet to the hub but I very gently eased it closer to the sensor and it went away and seems fine. ?‍♂️

Being the s version the fork and shock are basic, compared to the pike and super deluxe on my canyon, but I'm no suspension guru and many a time I've completed a downhill trail only to find my shock in climb mode and I hadn't even noticed ?‍♂️. I do however notice my canyon can get overwhelmed on days out at Triscombe and have yearned for a bit more travel, hence the e180.

I found the speed limit very easy to reach on the roads round my way and had to put in some effort on the flat to keep it at 20ish mph. Uphill is a different story. Downhill on the road I managed 34mph and didn't notice any drag off the motor.

Tomorrow is the first real test, over at FOD to ride some DH trails and see how it handles.

I'm already annoyed at myself for lusting after the RS version tho. When I bought this bike I thought I'd get the cheaper spec as I'd just be bashing out DH runs on it, no need for anything too bling. Then I'm immediately looking at the RS version with full fox factory ??

Anyway, I'll report back tomorrow with a ride report. Love to hear from other e180 owners and how you get on with yours

Pete

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi, I have the E180RS. Apart from shortening the bars to 780 and fitting my own preferred pedals I have found nothing else I need to change. The bike has also been completely reliable and the only work I have done on it apart from cleaning and lubeing is to check the freehub/ratchet mechanism and service it which is very quick and easy to do.
In terms of ride characteristics you will immediately notice the low centre of balance which makes is very stable on the roughest of declines and easier to throw the bike side to side compared to, for example, my Levo, which is noticeably more top heavy. Whilst the bike is fuly capable of normal trail/all mountain type riding I always get the impression it really only comes alive when you point it downhill!

Peter1979

Jun 7, 2021
South West uk
Well, fist ride today at The Forest of Dean and it was a wet start with some slippery conditions that were making me a bit nervous to be trying a new bike with. However, a couple of runs on the skills loop then up to session the top sections of corkscrew and GBU and it felt very easy to get the feel for the bike. I was surprised how easy it was to jump for such a big bike! My jumping isn't great but I can clear the top jumps of GBU on my old bike and a couple of runs in and I was doing the same on the Whyte barring a few jumps here and there due to poor line choice.
Cornering the bike feels very confidence inspiring, I just need to get used to when to turn in and exit a berm and how quick I can enter.
I then took the bike over to some of the enduro tracks where it is a bit steeper and was really impressed with how well it tracks and how grippy it feels. Even in the wet. Rode ski run afterward and had a bit of a sketchy moment on some off camber but more to do with lack of speed and commitment from me. Didn't try the drops on GBU this time as I kind of feel I need to get some practice lifting that front wheel first, it's not so easy.

At no point did I feel like the basic suspension was holding me back. Everything worked flawlessly and I'm super happy.
One criticism is the speed limiter on the more flat peddly stuff, the motor drag is noticeable when you crank up to about 20-25 then stop pedalling. I couldn't keep up with my non ebike riding mate.
Couldn't fit my 650ml bottle and specialized zee cage in the frame either so need to see if anything else will fit. Any help here would be appreciated.

Overall very happy with the bike and already thinking my canyon spectral will be hardly used. ?

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
I live in fod and have the same bike. It’s been absolutely great,we’re riding steeper tracks now and finding it is very capable even due to the weight.
Changes I made are grips and pedals, cut bars to 760 which feels nicer. Zeb mudhugger in front and shorty on rear.

I also had a spectral and regret selling it. What size is yours

Peter1979

Jun 7, 2021
South West uk
Hi Healy, thanks for the reply. My spectral is a medium. 27.5 one, not the 29er. Really not sure if I'll keep it not but it does seem crazy to have two expensive bikes when I'm not riding a great deal anyway! They are good bikes, but the e180 is more stable in the steep.

Just heard from my friend today who was also buying an ebike and the main reason for me getting mine, that he has cancelled his order because he has decided he can't afford it. So looks like I'll be mostly solo riding which is a bit of a bummer.

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
From what I can see no update. Same model and part than my 2021. Same frame colour but with different decals. The seat clamp has changed from internal to clamp

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
400 isn’t a bad increase. Some brands are taking the bare piss. I got a 400 discount on mine. It’s worked for them cause I spend a fair bit with them cause they are well stocked. A few mates have vitus sommets cracking kit for 4600.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
400 isn’t a bad increase. Some brands are taking the bare piss. I got a 400 discount on mine. It’s worked for them cause I spend a fair bit with them cause they are well stocked. A few mates have vitus sommets cracking kit for 4600.
Yeah I’ve recently sold my 2019 sommet vr after a few years of pleasurable riding and now looking for the next upgrade. I just don’t like the look of the latest sommet, that white just makes it look like a Halfords special and to spec up the cheaper model brings it into some serious competition.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Is there any stand out differences between the v2 and v3, nothing is jumping out.. except the price! Also I don’t suppose they have upgraded the battery removal process for this model? Something else that I’m really not keen on, in theory.
Unless your circumstances mean you have to remove the battery to charge the bike just leave it in place. I have had my E180RS for nearly a year now...have not bothered to remove the battery yet. Same on my Levo, I take the battery out when I do the annual full service but other than that just leave it alone. You need also to think of the positives. The battery and its connection the motor is far better protected than models with flimsy plastic covers on the down tube and c 2kg of battery bouncing up and down on pin connectors!! Stupid design!

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Unless your circumstances mean you have to remove the battery to charge the bike just leave it in place. I have had my E180RS for nearly a year now...have not bothered to remove the battery yet. Same on my Levo, I take the battery out when I do the annual full service but other than that just leave it alone. You need also to think of the positives. The battery and its connection the motor is far better protected than models with flimsy plastic covers on the down tube and c 2kg of battery bouncing up and down on pin connectors!! Stupid design!
There are definitely pros and cons with both solutions, and I do have a garage to charge the bike in, but that garage does sit in cold or sub zero temps a lot of the year and lithium batts just do not store or charge well in those conditions at all and their life will be affected. In fact my previous ebikes (2 cubes and a vitus) wouldn’t even entertain charging if the temp was below 5 degrees, have you not encountered that issue?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There are definitely pros and cons with both solutions, and I do have a garage to charge the bike in, but that garage does sit in cold or sub zero temps a lot of the year and lithium batts just do not store or charge well in those conditions at all and their life will be affected. In fact my previous ebikes (2 cubes and a vitus) wouldn’t even entertain charging if the temp was below 5 degrees, have you not encountered that issue?
I store my bikes indoors both for security and better care of the electrical components.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Mine is in a workshop all year round. Temps vary from +40 to -15. It's been faultless. I don't charge it when the temps are high/low. On a timer so charges in the morning before a ride.

The only other difference I can see with the new bikes is they come with the shape.it link which I assume gives you some adjustability.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Your always more than welcome to join us. We’re all on ebikes. 3 whytes, rail, Merida and one giant.
Where do you usually ride? I’m looking for new trails to ride and hooking up with locals is always good for that.

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
Pedals, quarry by pedals back of broadwell, dowies and exploring the steeper stuff by there, mallards, Staunton and pillowell. Starting to explore around and found some old trails in yorkley that haven’t been used in ages. Also more than welcome to come along. I like some of the older trails that start at the campsite and lead down to pedals, quite a few there and a couple of them cross cross so it’s good for a laugh

Peter1979

Jun 7, 2021
South West uk
Well,two rides in and I was enjoying some of the cannop off piste/enduro trails and suddenly my Zeb fork made a noticeable knocking noise, seems like something has broken inside the air spring.
Called the shop I bought it from and they suggested taking it to any workshop to get assessed and sent away if needed and they will reimburse.
Workshop at my LBS are unsure what it could be but it has been sent away to SRAM.

Bit of a shame to have problems so soon, I seem to have some bad luck with this sort of stuff
Hopefully it will be back in a week or so and ready for a trip to North Wales early September.

Peter1979

Jun 7, 2021
South West uk
Had the Rockshox Zeb forks sent off via my LBS. They charged me 30 quid to do so (removing forks , storing bike and reassembling when they were sent back).
Picked the bike up Saturday and it appears that SRAM have changed the damper unit from the standard one in the Zeb R to the one which has high and low speed compression dials, which I believe might be from the Zeb Ultimate. So, pretty happy with that service really.
Had a ride out on it yesterday up at FOD and it is running really well. Ticked off the bottom drop on GBU which I was yet to do on this bike, so feeling more at home on it now.
Off to North Wales next week to see if I can get up and down Snowdon on it.

Peter1979

Jun 7, 2021
South West uk
Perhaps due to all the shortages it's all they had left to give me? Who knows.
To be honest, there's too many dials now. I struggled with my last set of fox 36s because there was too much going on!

They didn't change my scuffed up lowers tho. ?

Peter1979

Jun 7, 2021
South West uk
Well, I'm a few more rides in now and a trip away to North Wales last week saw the E180 go up and down snowdon (llanberis up and rangers down) then for an uplift day at Antur Stiniog.
Some thoughts below for anyone interested.
Snowdon was the third time for me but first time on the ebike. I was with 4 others but I was the only Ebike. The bike was really great for the climb here. I waited around for my friends who mostly pushed so my time was in line with theirs, but had I not been waiting I reckon it would have taken an hour and a half at most. All of it was rideable except the steep section just before you go under the railway line and just after. The walk assist was very handy here. I did struggle in the rangers descent though. Really lacking some confidence at the moment and found that having a very spongy rear brake (see below) meant I was off and pushing sections I cleared in years previous. It somehow felt a lot tougher this year. Telegraph alley has been resurfaced and the water bars removed so much more reserved descent here otherwise you can easily come off the track.

Antur stiniog uplift day was great fun. It's my fourth time here and the scene of my biggest crash a few years back on the red trail.
Weather was wet and my rear brake was a bit better following a bleed. I did find I was not as confident on the very steep switchbacks as I would have been on my normal bike. The new black run has a really steep switch back half way down and I couldn't commit to it. The natural surface red trail at the bottom goes into some woods and when it was wet I simply couldn't ride it. I'm pretty sure I would have given it a go on my spectral.

The third trip we had was to Dyfi. First time there and wow what a place. We rode a couple of blacks and most of the day on the red. I used the canyon spectral as I really wanted to be on a bike I was 100% confident on and I had a great time.

So, conclusions are that the Whyte e180 certainly has its positives but has a few draw backs for me at the moment. Back brake is an absolute nightmare to get feeling good no matter how many times I bleed it. Once the pads wear down the lever goes to the bar.
On the really steep stuff I feel nervous, maybe the weight of the bike makes it pick up speed to quick, also I can't change direction as quick as on my spectral. I can't keep up with my mates on the fast stuff, it's simply not as agile.
But, for exploring, climbing, smashing out some runs and getting distance in its great.

Peter1979

Jun 7, 2021
South West uk
Question is do I persist with the SRAM code r brakes or swap them out.
The bleeding edge adaptor on the rear caliper doesn't seem to have a noticeable engagement on it when inserting the adaptor, not like the front one or even on the guides that I have on the canyon.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles