Whyte E-150S chainring.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Eyup, I stuck a new chain on my bike yesterday and while doing it I noticed what looked like some wear on the chainring teeth. I showed my mate later and he said it looked like it was shark finned and it needed replacing but to me the wear looked uniform all the way round and almost machined.
I found this...
sramx-sync2directmountchainringblack1.jpg

It looks the same as what's on my bike and has the same shaped teeth.
Could anyone have a quick look at their chainring and confirm it's the same if you get a chance?

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Thanks mate, yes that looks identical to mine (y)
A bit concerning there aren't any replacement chain rings about :eek:

d4ve86

Aug 21, 2020
UK
Hi, They are available in Europe, After 2 rides on my E150 I swapped the 34T for a 38T chainring from bike-discount.

Some websites are selling the chainrings but they are not the Boost version, double check what you are ordering.

d4ve86

Aug 21, 2020
UK
Halfords bike hut crank puller and ordered this lockring tool with the chainring,

I also ordered a new chain but it run fine with the original chain so didnt bother changing it. Took 10 mins to swap over.

Whyte say the drive unit needs to be changed if fitting a 36 or 38T ring, Ill get this done with the software update.

d4ve86

Aug 21, 2020
UK
Yes the software configured, apparently its just a drop down box in the Bosch software with Chainring size options.

Hopefully I can take a picture of the screen while it's plugged in.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Flipping heck, a chain ring upgrade will be on the back burner then if it needs the software tweaking, there's a 3 week waiting list (longer if you want a Saturday) to get bikes booked in around me.
My mates Kenevo didn't bat an eyelid when he put a 38t on it, just feckin rode off into the distance laughing his tits off ??

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ref post #2: That looks to me like the standard unworn profile of the SRAM 12 -speed chainring. I remember SRAM saying at the time of the launch that they started from scratch when designing the 12-speed system. They even looked at the tooth profile of worn chain rings and started from there!

Q:How the hell you are supposed to work out when the chain ring is worn though?

A: I guess when you start getting chainsuck and or other transmission problems with the chain jumping.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I am 1,400 miles in on my E-150S (in just over four months)
Eaten through three chains and two cassettes (just installed the fourth chain and third cassette)

That's some serious wear. IME changing the chain as frequently as you are should mean the cassette/chainring lasts 3 to 4 chains. Are the cassettes unusable when you swap chains? I'd expect more life from a steel SRAM cassette ?

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Yup, and so would I, despite the motor.

The first cassette was done at 600 miles when the chain reached 0.75%.
So since, I have been cleaning and lubing meticulously, and being as mechanically sympathetic as possible.
Replaced the next chain at 0.5%, 350 miles or so later , cassette was okay.
Replaced the next chain at 0.5%, 350 miles or so later, and the second cassette was toast with the new chain.

Put, the old chain back on and ran it to 0.75% to eek out a few more miles.

Now on fourth chain and third cassette. The chains are cheap, but £100 for a new cassette every 6-700 miles is disappointing.

It is the three bottom cogs that go, too much time on the power, going quickly. rest of cassette is fine.

But the meticulously cared for cassette last no longer than the first (relatively) abused cassette.

Make of that what you want.

Considering putting a 36 or 38 chainring on, to not spend as much time at the bottom of the cassette.

Also worried that the rise in torque from 75Nm to 85 Nm is only going to shorten the life of the drive train still further.
Thanks. Useful, will be interesting to see how I get on with mine.

One thought, I'm sure you've checked, but that end of the cassette is where there is not much wrap-around. Have you checked your b-gap adjustment? That is pretty critical on my 12-speed SRAM stuff, and if it's wrong it will slip prematurely in those gears.

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
I'm looking for a 36t chainring for my e150rs. Could anyone confirm if this the right one?

Cheers

d4ve86

Aug 21, 2020
UK
38T has been perfect for the riding I do, much better than the 34T, using almost all of the cassette now.
I changed at less than 100km's and bike is on 550km's now, bike is booked in this week for the software update and Chainring change.....no issues

Link above bike-discount, lists 34t, 36t and 38t for Boost. Only have the 38T in stock right now.

d4ve86

Aug 21, 2020
UK
Had the software update on Thursday, There was no drop down box to change the chainring size. Does anyone have any pictures, screenshots of where the setting is in the Bosch software please?

d4ve86

Aug 21, 2020
UK
So mine is the RS, I took a picture of the screen, Currently has the 11-50 Eagle cassette.
Max gear ratio - 3.09, Min - 0.68. Wheel Circumference (just in case people have different settings) - 2147.

Settings were greyed out, so couldn't be changed.

I will be changing to a 10-50 cassette soon, I think I will just give up trying to get the software changed and keep riding it. Whyte can deal with it if there is an issue with the motor.

Last edited:

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
sorry to railroad this post but can I ask a question about chainring wear please, I recently changed my chain for a Sram XX1 but I didn't change my chainring because it looked like it did when i'd bought it, my bike has now done nearly 1800 miles since March and still changes gear quickly and quietly with no hiccups at all, the question is should I have changed my chainring at the same time.

Mattzzzzzz

Oct 2, 2020
Nottingham UK
38T has been perfect for the riding I do, much better than the 34T, using almost all of the cassette now.
I changed at less than 100km's and bike is on 550km's now, bike is booked in this week for the software update and Chainring change.....no issues

Link above bike-discount, lists 34t, 36t and 38t for Boost. Only have the 38T in stock right now.
Just looking at changing chainring is it the 3mm offset?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles