What do all you e-bikers do in winter???

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
It is unnerving when you are biking along in the dark woods (alone) and you see these eyes looking back at you reflected in your lights.
Only possums & such .... nothin that will eat you.
Last time back in SoCal we were on a night trail ride and came across a big cat. Dunno how fast they run but I was glad I was on a MC and not on a MTB.
Did get one hell of a fright at the redwoods though - was getting a couple training rides in before the Moonride and coming to the clearing at the end of Dipper I came across a Wallaby. Had just completed 2 hours without a bottle and was a bit dehydrated. First thought was .... WTF is a kangaroo doing here.

Philpug

Jun 14, 2020
Reno NV USA
For those of you that do ski, you might know me from Pugski.com but I would be happy to answer any skiing related questions..especially when it comes to gear. I will be checking in from time to time here, so just "@" me and I will reply.

lamerecycles

Apr 10, 2019
Minneapolis
Ride the LaMere eSummit, only eFat bike on planet Earth with Shimano motor that fits every wheel and tire size, even 5" Johnny 5 tires on big 100mm rims!

LaMere eSummit eFat Bike.png

Kevin2306

May 22, 2020
Llangollen
I’m planning shorter rides over the winter but most likely on an acoustic rather than my ebike, I’d like to get a couple of years out of it and with my luck it will get all knackered if it gets too wet.

Kev

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I just keep riding through the Winter, but with only three rules:
  1. If I am riding solo, I will not go if it will be raining when I get there. Yes, I have all the wet weather gear, but there is something so dispiriting about setting up in the rain and setting off wet, then riding on your own getting wetter and colder.
  2. If it is below freezing, I'm not going! I have had too many instant falls ("isn't it a brilliant clear da.....what the f*** happened!")
  3. If I am meeting someone else, I will go no matter what the conditions! (And I have had some absolutely great days out!)

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
This winter, was my first winter, riding bicycles of any kind for about 35 years. I rode almost daily through all conditions (mostly mud) and thoroughly enjoyed it. The mud destroyed 4 chains and 2 cassettes.

In extremely muddy conditions, I almost have myself believing an emtb can "hold" the trail better than a motocycle. In years past, I always gave up on my motorcycles at some point in the winter, as riding became dam near impossible, and certainly wasn't fun.This year, riding emtbs, the thought of sitting it out never occurred to me.
20200519_113943.jpg

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Excellent work there and definitely more enthusiastic than I would be, I think just mechanical sympathy alone would make me stay indoors. Fortunately conditions like that are few and far between where we ride. Think it's amazing you only went through 2 drive sets looking at those back sprockets.o_O

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Excellent work there and definitely more enthusiastic than I would be, I think just mechanical sympathy alone would make me stay indoors. Fortunately conditions like that are few and far between where we ride. Think it's amazing you only went through 2 drive sets looking at those back sprockets.o_O
That pic isn't exactly typical of a regular winter ride. Normally it wasn't so bad, but for 3 months about, cleaning and lubing the chain, and chain-wheels was a daily routine.

My cleaning technique was to almost never hose it off. I would put a fan on it overnight, sometimes even a heater. In the morning, or a least by early afternoon, it would be dry enough to brush it off, relube, and go again.

The bike looked like hell all winter no doubt! But it kept on keeping on.

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
This winter, was my first winter, riding bicycles of any kind for about 35 years. I rode almost daily through all conditions (mostly mud) and thoroughly enjoyed it. The mud destroyed 4 chains and 2 cassettes.

In extremely muddy conditions, I almost have myself believing an emtb can "hold" the trail better than a motocycle. In years past, I always gave up on my motorcycles at some point in the winter, as riding became dam near impossible, and certainly wasn't fun.This year, riding emtbs, the thought of sitting it out never occurred to me.
View attachment 33729
If my Trance got this wet I wouldn't be able to switch it off. I made the mistake of washing mine last weekend and had to rip it apart to get the water out of the connectors. I'm just glad that we don't get to much rain here.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
That pic isn't exactly typical of a regular winter ride. Normally it wasn't so bad, but for 3 months about, cleaning and lubing the chain, and chain-wheels was a daily routine.

My cleaning technique was to almost never hose it off. I would put a fan on it overnight, sometimes even a heater. In the morning, or a least by early afternoon, it would be dry enough to brush it off, relube, and go again.

The bike looked like hell all winter no doubt! But it kept on keeping on.

yep always best to avoid the hose.?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
If my Trance got this wet I wouldn't be able to switch it off. I made the mistake of washing mine last weekend and had to rip it apart to get the water out of the connectors. I'm just glad that we don't get to much rain here.
I've been lucky I guess. Mine does some weirdness but usually after a real bath. Mud riding doesn't seem to get it dysfunctional, bathing it does.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Regarding the washing, I use the hose and have no issues. I use it on the sprinkler setting though like heavy rain, and use a brush to take off the mud. Takes ten minutes and looks new when I’m done.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Ride to and from work 5 days per week and if it ain't raining over the weekend, ride then too. Not much choice really, we sold our 2nd car lol. Good thing I'm comfortable with cold, dark and slippery...

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I truly despise winter. Not sure what I’ll do. I may have a non ebike by then but even so don’t really like the idea of the local trails with how muddy they get.

Think you’ll sink past the cranks muddy.

I’m not riding in the road for sure so... replace parts often?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles