Comfort Saddles - what do you use?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
OP, have you taken a look at Bike Yoke Sagma?
Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.38.19 AM.png
I've just ordered a Charge Spoon, I might have mentioned on here a few days ago
Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.39.25 AM.png
I guess I’m fairly fortunate that my arse has yet to demand anything too specific to sit on, and I actually find the stock saddle on my Trance pretty comfy. Otherwise I’ve always liked the Fabric Scoop Radius.
Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.41.52 AM.png

Cheers and I have - and I've posted these photos for other readers to see. I haven't tried or seen a Sagma before, interesting design. I've tried saddles very similar to the Charge Spoon and the Fabric Scoop radius - and I'm sure that they would be unique depending if gel or not, and how the gel is employed. Thanks for posting.

However, two prerequisites have to be met in order for a saddle to work for me, post-op (and others with a similar medical requirement who may be searching for alternatives). I discovered that my weight needs to be supported by my pelvic sit-bones to take away any pressure from my crotch. And consequently to have a middle channel deep enough to minimise or completely alleviate pressure against the perineum.

The second best saddle I've tried (I still have it) is a SELLE ROYAL with soft 'Royalgel' Silica gel cushion. The only area where it fell short was the model I have doesn't have a deep middle channel. I have since found a webpage with newer shapes that meet both prerequisites - now available. I'm keen to try the narrower version but they're not cheap enough for me to go through each model one by one. For reference, here's the link:
US $55.02 58% OFF|SELLE ROYAL Italy Cycling MTB Bike Bicycle Rail Hollow Saddle Breathable Soft ROYALGEL Silica Gel Cushion Bike Bicycle Part Seat|selle royal|hollow saddlecushioned bike seat - AliExpress

P3cca

Jun 1, 2020
Germany
Following this thread as have literally just ordered a new “old mans” saddle from this company SQlabs. Have recently done 2 100km rides over the past couple of mo this as it takes a month for my “sit bones” to recover. currently Rocking cycling pants & have a memory foam seat cover strapped to the standard saddle Which makes sitting bearable for short blasts to the shops.
the SQlabs saddle should apparently land on the door step by the end of the week, just I. Time for another 100km ride. Shall keep you all informed.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Following this thread as have literally just ordered a new “old mans” saddle from this company SQlabs. Have recently done 2 100km rides over the past couple of mo this as it takes a month for my “sit bones” to recover. currently Rocking cycling pants & have a memory foam seat cover strapped to the standard saddle Which makes sitting bearable for short blasts to the shops.
the SQlabs saddle should apparently land on the door step by the end of the week, just I. Time for another 100km ride. Shall keep you all informed.
Yes please. Be good to know how the SQlabs saddle works out for you. (y)

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Below is my former saddle... the Selle Royal "FreeWay."

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 11.18.03 AM.png

The Selle Royal "FreeWay" was the best saddle (WITHOUT a central channel) I've had prior to coming across the Selle SMP "TRK" below.

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 11.18.41 AM.png

You can see that the FreeWay is narrower but don't let that fool you. Both are comparable in sit-bone support and of course both use "GEL" cushioning. You will also notice that the TRK not only has a wide central channel - BUT more importantly (besides being deep), it extends all the way to the back of the saddle. In my case where I require to not have any pressure on my perineum, this the key feature I was looking for. This shape plus the fact that it's a Gel saddle, is the game-changer which allowed me to continue my mountain biking.

I've been looking at other "slightly narrower" Selle Royal saddles with central channels. I'm very tempted to try a particular model even though I think I've already found the best anatomical saddle in the TRK.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I've been looking at other "slightly narrower" Selle Royal saddles with central channels. I'm very tempted to try a particular model even though I think I've already found the best anatomical saddle in the TRK.

I took a closer look at mine and it's the selle hybrid, so slimmer and I think firmer than yours. I hadn't given the saddle much thought, but it's a much more curved design than any other I've used - so measured width doesn't really apply between other saddles as far as I can tell?

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I’ve nearly given up with aftermarket seats, and refitted the one that came on my Cube Yesterday. I may have one last try, and give this one a go.

P3cca

Jun 1, 2020
Germany
Wow, with the 2 saddles compared side by side you can really see the difference.

i am so tempted to order the SMP TRK from Amazon just in case the SQlabs turns out to be uncomfortable. The SMP TRK sure looks comfortable. Each & every time i imagine sitting on the SMP TRK, I can already feel pressure lifting from ones sensitive zones ??

Apparently the SQlabs 602 family has 2 slightly different variants dependent upon longer days in the saddle or if greater relief is required.
1, 602 ERGOLUX active for more cushioning (trekking medium to long distance) — on order
2. 602 M-D active this apparently provides greater relief but for shorter rides.

if all else fails we could move over to this bad boy, to be fair my sit bones ache so much I would give anything a try... SQlabs 600

2749F56C-352A-45B1-AC5B-C2C7D3CA2F24.png

P3cca

Jun 1, 2020
Germany
The SQlabs saddle turned up and here are a couple of 3 pictures of the unboxing.

Interesting parts of the saddle are the following..
  1. Uses 2 “steps / contours” on the saddle seat, apparently for bum / seat bone position.
  2. More padded than other saddles in the SQlab range.
  3. Designed for trekking apparently more comfort.
  4. The saddle has dappening / shock absorbing properties gained from the same foam used on Adidas trainers allowing for greater pelvic movement ( hope I got the SQlabs marketing bumf correct
    E69575FA-7224-41A9-9AD7-75A3F0CCA7FB.jpeg

C69A11DA-DA11-40D7-AD07-88650229743C.jpeg

D473E4D0-F849-44BD-978F-3E1DC9905E3C.jpeg

E81A07E1-A009-4E79-BC6E-4A849966811A.jpeg

385B47F1-3352-4612-AEE7-029FFFE0FB3A.jpeg

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
The SQlabs saddle turned up and here are a couple of 3 pictures of the unboxing.

Interesting parts of the saddle are the following..
  1. Uses 2 “steps / contours” on the saddle seat, apparently for bum / seat bone position.
  2. More padded than other saddles in the SQlab range.
  3. Designed for trekking apparently more comfort.
  4. The saddle has dappening / shock absorbing properties gained from the same foam used on Adidas trainers allowing for greater pelvic movement ( hope I got the SQlabs marketing bumf correct View attachment 32920

View attachment 32921

View attachment 32922

View attachment 32923

View attachment 32924
Ooh, I like the look of that!

P3cca

Jun 1, 2020
Germany
Good morning all,
Already used the saddle on a few smaller rides, ranging from the local shop run to a good hour and a half HT work out — 3 — 7 — 33 km respectively.
later today I hope to be going out on a 100km ride which shall really put it through it’s paces along side the new tyres and aero bars ? ??
One thing I have to say already is that over here in Germany there are an awful lot of Cobbled roads, rode over a cobbled road for maybe 400 meters. Very impressed (y)
If anybody on Strava etc maybe I could live share the ride?

oh and in depth review coming up over the next days (First ever review)

peck

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
Update on the saddle try program. I tried WTB volt, SQ Lab 612, Ergon SM Pro. I end up liking the Ergon SM pro the best, Volt second and SQ Lab third. The SQ lab deceivingly nice and you don’t feel it when you riding surprisingly. However, when you get off the bike you can feel the pain and numbness together. Making walk a bit hard in beginning. That’s only after 16 miles 1:30 min ride. The Ergon did 2 hrs with no problem.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
this is what I understand from nearly 40 years ago - it was supposedly old knowledge then - and I think it is still current: assuming you have a well designed saddle for your sit bones etc and application, then hardness is based on length of time in the saddle. It's actually contrary to what I've been reading here. Eg: sports saddles are basically for non riders who have a bike and might pull it out a few times a year - heavily padded, not for long times in the saddle. The more time you spend in the saddle the more firm they should be. I used to travel on a fully loaded bike around 100km day on all sorts of back roads and country roads, pre suspension and pre mtb days (27 x 1 3/8 tyres) and I had a brooks leather saddle. I'm not recommending this saddle for mtb, I'm just saying get your sit bone measurement and then, if you do lots of km's don't necessarily look for a softer saddle - it will probably be less comfortable over the hours. All my saddles are fairly hard but fit well - I know that I need about a 145mm width, which is pretty wide for a dude. I have a couple of seats that came standard on bikes that are great - my new merida e140 limited and a 2012 trek fuel ex 8. That trek seat is the hardest but I really like it. I've never worn padded shorts. I knew the merida seat would work as soon as I saw it. None of them have cutouts.

brooks.jpg

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
this is what I understand from nearly 40 years ago - it was supposedly old knowledge then - and I think it is still current: assuming you have a well designed saddle for your sit bones etc and application, then hardness is based on length of time in the saddle. It's actually contrary to what I've been reading here. Eg: sports saddles are basically for non riders who have a bike and might pull it out a few times a year - heavily padded, not for long times in the saddle. The more time you spend in the saddle the more firm they should be. I used to travel on a fully loaded bike around 100km day on all sorts of back roads and country roads and I had a brooks leather saddle. I'm not recommending this saddle for mtb, I'm just saying get your sit bone measurement and then, if you do lots of km's don't necessarily look for a softer saddle - it will probably be less comfortable over the hours.

View attachment 33118
I agree that long distance saddles need to be firmer, but for me not as firm as the Brookes! Haha! I too had tried a saddle that was super soft thinking that would be best (which it was for short trips) but discovered that it cut-off circulation on longer rides.

There’s actually three distinct factors worth considering and it’s different for each person obviously. The width, the perineum clearance (which for me is paramount), and of course the padding density. Although my previous fav SR Selle Royal and my current Selle SMP TRK are both “gel” saddles, they vary in firmness. The SMP TRK being the firmer of the two. I disliked that aspect at first until I realised it worked in my favour on longer rides. ??

I have another gel saddle that is firmer than both of them in comparison, but the shape didn’t suit me.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
For sure; I've had to ditch a couple with poor shape. I don't like rounded seats where the width is made pointless. I've also had to adjust the seats I do have for perineum issues eg generally I need the saddle flat or level with the top of the handle bars. A tilt of one or two mm can make a huge difference and is very noticeable to me. The trek seat I have is actually a 140 - 5mm smaller than I normally like. It just provides sit bone support further out. That seat came on a trail bike, which makes sense, as did the merida seat.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Geez, this might be worth a look grandpabrogan. 429 reviews and still a high score! Reading through the reviews would be worthwhile. It does look a bit keyhole shaped though - I can imagine dangly bits falling through the more open end, then as you slide forward and try to pull up :oops: :ROFLMAO:. It kind of reminds me of a joining link. The L3 is 145mm wide. I knew the brooks wouldn't suit you for obvious reasons. I'd never get it again either, unless I was touring long term. It weighs a lot and you really don't want to get it wet. That model brooks has a huge amount of positive reviews, which surprised me. I thought everyone would be high tech blah blah blah :)

Last edited:

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I picked up a bi-saddle, figured the adjustment both for me and my wife would beat buying multiple seats to figure out the exact size I want. I have a feeling that once I use it to find my general preferred shape I may buy a different seat based on that, but it felt like a good first step. Won't get to ride it for another week or two though so no review yet.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Geez, this might be worth a look grandpabrogan. 429 reviews and still a high score! Reading through the reviews would be worthwhile. It does look a bit keyhole shaped though - I can imagine dangly bits falling through the more open end, then as you slide forward and try to pull up :oops: :ROFLMAO:. It kind of reminds me of a joining link. The L3 is 145mm wide. I knew the brooks wouldn't suit you for obvious reasons. I'd never get it again either, unless I was touring long term. It weighs a lot and you really don't want to get it wet. That model brooks has a huge amount of positive reviews, which surprised me. I thought everyone would be high tech blah blah blah :)
I think the desirable trait that Brooke saddles have is that over time the saddle will conform to the rider's anatomical shape - THEN it's awesome, apparently. But during the break-in time, it's a torture device - or so I've heard.

Wow, that saddle has the widest middle channel I've ever seen! Pricey though! Maybe for road bikes but I'd hate to have something like that have the sides ripped from a trail "off." So on that basis, I may never get a chance to try one out.

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 3.45.27 PM.png

I see what you mean though. It reminds me of a door chain lock, haha. Imagine getting the family jewels hooked in that slot while getting ejected off the bike! :eek::oops: I'm pretty sure that won't happen... I mean 429 reviews and a high score says a lot, but too rich for me. But that's not to say it wouldn't be perfect for someone else!

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 3.46.43 PM.png

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Been using SQLab 611 Ergowave Active for 3kkm with no PITA.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Fabric Cell Elite Radius is the comfiest saddle I have tried that doesn't stray into proper comfort travel territory - I am not usually such a fan of some of their saddle shapes that are similar to the Charge Spoon, but the cell tech in the Cell Elite really does make a difference.

I actually run an Ergon DH Saddle on most of my bikes now, may seem an odd choice, its narrow, short, and not really designed with sitting down in mind but its the comfiest saddle for me that I have ever tried. Just goes to show that the saddle shape is more important imo than the padding on it.

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 22.53.47.png

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
Good grief, I can't believe I'm actually doing a post about comfort saddles. Reminds me of a close friend who got talked into riding the Central Otago Rail-Trail in the south island (NZ) by his wife. They did the whole length of it - over several days. They flew in, so just hired bikes but he refused to ride a bike with a girlie saddle (as he puts it) and asked for a thin 'manly' saddle. It broke his butt and he couldn't walk for days after, but there was no way he was going to ride a bike with a comfy saddle, hahaha!

In my case, I've recently had a prostate operation and doctor's orders - if I can't sit without putting pressure on my perineum, I can say goodbye to cycling! So it's either I find a suitable saddle OR mountain biking is something I'll be watching on TV.

Years even prior to my operation, I had already gone through so many saddles that I have lost count and given some away. These saddles come under the Trekking/City/Touring category and would usually come installed on commuter bikes.

View attachment 32142

Current and best one I'm using is the SELLE SMP TRK because it has the widest middle recess out of all saddles of this type. In addition, it's wider so it's actually supporting my weight directly under my sit-bones instead of my crotch. It has a mens and womens (wider) version. When the saddle arrived, it came with an "eBike Ready" label on it even though nothing was mentioned about this in the specs when I ordered it. Another one of those “e-specific“ marketing hype haha... but top quality, 100% Italian-made.

Anyway, on a non-ebike it might look a bit wide, but actually it doesn't look too much out of place on my Trance e+Pro with the big battery downtube, mud fenders and fat tyres. At first I was concerned that it would get in the way when I’m standing but now I don't even know it's there any more. It’s narrower than a motorcycle seat after all. That downward hook on the front is also perfect for hanging the bike over the extended pipe at the wash down pad at some of our local trails.

View attachment 32143

View attachment 32144
I have one of those on both my Ebikes.......brilliant saddles

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
@GrandPaBrogan
I hope my butt is the same as yours!!
For the last week I was using the wides 20 year old padded commuter and this feels a lot firmer... but in a good way. Will see what my butt is like tomorrow.

View attachment 33229
Ha! All the best!

Although my previous saddle was comfortable and softer, King Arthur would still get ‘pins & needles’ on his crown ? but only during longer rides. It took about a week for me to ‘acclimatise’ to the TRK because I’ve bonded with my previous saddle for about a year before I had my operation. At first I thought it was too firm and the extra width bothered me, but only when I stood up to move my body behind the saddle momentarily over steep drops. But now, I'm not even aware that it’s there and so far, no pins & needles.

Hope it works out well for you also. ???

Last edited:

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
How are you getting on with the SQ lab @P3cca?

I've just tried the Ergon SM E-mtb which became painful after an hour, the original Levo saddle after half an hour.

I measured my sit bones and got the right size, but it's just not for me.

As my rides get longer, up to 2 hours, I really need to find a saddle won't hurt.

Any suggestions would be good as I don't want to keep trying different saddles and want my boney ass to stop me riding for as longs as my legs and I want to.

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
@GrandPaBrogan
I hope my butt is the same as yours!!
For the last week I was using the wides 20 year old padded commuter and this feels a lot firmer... but in a good way. Will see what my butt is like tomorrow.

View attachment 33229
Thanks @GrandPaBrogan
Went out today for an hour and completely forgot about the saddle....so that makes it very comfy in my eyes. I went for the large, not sure why, I just go XL on everything, plus on Amazon it was 60 quid instead of 78. But, as said, seems very good as didn't feel it.
I do have an annoying bit of play - feels like 1 or 2mm and think its the post rather than the saddle?? Any fixes?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Thanks @GrandPaBrogan
Went out today for an hour and completely forgot about the saddle....so that makes it very comfy in my eyes. I went for the large, not sure why, I just go XL on everything, plus on Amazon it was 60 quid instead of 78. But, as said, seems very good as didn't feel it.
I do have an annoying bit of play - feels like 1 or 2mm and think its the post rather than the saddle?? Any fixes?
I’ve got a bit of that too. That’s probably the play on your dropper post, between the pop-up stanchion and its sleeve. If so, there’s nothing you can do about that. It’s been there all along, you just haven’t noticed it till now. Just ignore it.

Glad the saddle is working out for you! ?? Mine is the large one too.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles