Comfort Saddles - what do you use?

P3cca

Jun 1, 2020
Germany
SQlab 602 Trekking saddle

Spoiler alert: Am I 100% in love with this saddle... the dury is still out?!?

The past week has seen several HIT rides & a couple of 4.5hours 100km> rides with the new saddle.

The saddle offers several pros & cons.

Pro:
  1. Love the “suspension element” whilst riding over terrain such as cobbles.
  2. A pleasant looking saddle for the features it offers.
  3. Weight is average (comfort rules over weight all day long).
  4. Saddle size is stitched into the small tag physically attached to saddle (great for reference in years to come (same as other SQlab saddles — I can attest to this).
  5. Build quality is as one would expect from Ze Germans — Really good & if anything like the last SQlabs saddle should last for several years.
  6. Amazing literature and seating guide set up instructions came with the saddle.
  7. Lots of on line sizing charts / diagrams / seat sizing printable charts to ensure confidence whilst sizing during purchase.
Cons:
  1. This is not a suspension saddle so do not expect it to act as one. It does soften certain types of every day road bumps.
  2. If not 100% perfect fit & comfort is achieved then this can become a very costly saddle at 100€ a pop.
  3. Not the best with aero bars (may have to dip the nose of the saddle when aero bars fitted as pressure point / groin area / Crown Jewels when in aero position).
  4. Already own an SQlb saddle where I was measured by the lbs. Remeasured and added a couple of 3 cm as per the 602 instructions. Sometimes wish I had gone another size up?
  5. My bum still aches after 4.5 hours in the saddle & that is with Decathlon padded shorts & a Decathlon memory foam seat cover (in retrospect the seat cover may have done more harm than good)!
  6. How long shall the white Adidas foam under seat cushioning wedge last for before there is wear or deflection with the material similar to that of trainers themselves?
  7. Cannot guarantee that this saddle is suitable for those of you with real medical problems — A proper saddle fitting would be 100% recommend rather than chancing it.

I am not 100% happy with the saddle but then would any saddle on the market allow ones ass to feel fresh as a babies butt after 4 hours > of uninterrupted peddling?

Really wish I had of bought the largest saddle available to remove any doubt.

Would I recommend this saddle?

Yes. But I have not compared this saddle to another trekking / comfort saddle so the review is biased on that count.

In summary;

A great saddle for comfort that has not been compared to any other in the same category.

Friday was another 100>km pedal and I can confirm that sore butt recovery time is noticeably better than previous rides (that maybe due to the butt becoming more conditioned — or actually having a more appropriate style of saddle for the riding I’m currently doing?

Attached are a couple bits and pieces from the marketing material that arrived with the saddle. May be helpful to those looking to size their butts!

The corrugated cardboard is a great aid for making a butt template prior to measuring.

Failing all of that, do what I did and place the palms of your hands on a bench (knees at 90degree ish)and then sit on the back of your hands moving them accordingly until the thumbs find the sit bones. Then ask her in doors to measure the distance of the thumbs. A bit heath Robinson but I found this method rather accurate especially as I did not realise at the time that the original SQlabs saddle had the saddle size clearly marked on a clothing tab stitched to the side of the saddle!

Comfy riding to all of you and shall update over the next weeks / months if it helps any of you?

Peck.

AAE6E0BD-E727-4D64-9DE2-6975126202DC.jpeg

8A1A0F4E-64EC-4EE9-BE18-469FECCAC896.jpeg

AD542DBA-07E3-403D-B94D-95C166CD2415.jpeg

43990869-CE87-4D5B-9F80-B861F99E5E76.jpeg

CB8A20C7-33A3-494E-B6C8-866A18ECA844.jpeg

BC15B337-86A4-4492-9D6E-B686020522A6.jpeg

8380D06F-0AF2-4622-B736-B683428C3B83.jpeg

70A61B7F-B216-46D5-AF34-D9669BBC1F35.jpeg

79F6BEC0-2A9F-4475-A788-36A80D9893F2.jpeg

1217B0E8-7C83-449A-A307-4430B3E6CDA0.jpeg

611F4676-90C6-4CCF-9484-C4A9B04AC3FA.jpeg

04270795-2ECD-45AE-87DB-FD633D49A753.jpeg

D31FBB9C-61ED-4C94-A0D4-F84AC9BA7E44.jpeg

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
SQlab 602 Trekking saddle

Spoiler alert: Am I 100% in love with this saddle... the dury is still out?!?

The past week has seen several HIT rides & a couple of 4.5hours 100km> rides with the new saddle.

The saddle offers several pros & cons.

Pro:
  1. Love the “suspension element” whilst riding over terrain such as cobbles.
  2. A pleasant looking saddle for the features it offers.
  3. Weight is average (comfort rules over weight all day long).
  4. Saddle size is stitched into the small tag physically attached to saddle (great for reference in years to come (same as other SQlab saddles — I can attest to this).
  5. Build quality is as one would expect from Ze Germans — Really good & if anything like the last SQlabs saddle should last for several years.
  6. Amazing literature and seating guide set up instructions came with the saddle.
  7. Lots of on line sizing charts / diagrams / seat sizing printable charts to ensure confidence whilst sizing during purchase.
Cons:
  1. This is not a suspension saddle so do not expect it to act as one. It does soften certain types of every day road bumps.
  2. If not 100% perfect fit & comfort is achieved then this can become a very costly saddle at 100€ a pop.
  3. Not the best with aero bars (may have to dip the nose of the saddle when aero bars fitted as pressure point / groin area / Crown Jewels when in aero position).
  4. Already own an SQlb saddle where I was measured by the lbs. Remeasured and added a couple of 3 cm as per the 602 instructions. Sometimes wish I had gone another size up?
  5. My bum still aches after 4.5 hours in the saddle & that is with Decathlon padded shorts & a Decathlon memory foam seat cover (in retrospect the seat cover may have done more harm than good)!
  6. How long shall the white Adidas foam under seat cushioning wedge last for before there is wear or deflection with the material similar to that of trainers themselves?
  7. Cannot guarantee that this saddle is suitable for those of you with real medical problems — A proper saddle fitting would be 100% recommend rather than chancing it.

I am not 100% happy with the saddle but then would any saddle on the market allow ones ass to feel fresh as a babies butt after 4 hours > of uninterrupted peddling?

Really wish I had of bought the largest saddle available to remove any doubt.

Would I recommend this saddle?

Yes. But I have not compared this saddle to another trekking / comfort saddle so the review is biased on that count.

In summary;

A great saddle for comfort that has not been compared to any other in the same category.

Friday was another 100>km pedal and I can confirm that sore butt recovery time is noticeably better than previous rides (that maybe due to the butt becoming more conditioned — or actually having a more appropriate style of saddle for the riding I’m currently doing?

Attached are a couple bits and pieces from the marketing material that arrived with the saddle. May be helpful to those looking to size their butts!

The corrugated cardboard is a great aid for making a butt template prior to measuring.

Failing all of that, do what I did and place the palms of your hands on a bench (knees at 90degree ish)and then sit on the back of your hands moving them accordingly until the thumbs find the sit bones. Then ask her in doors to measure the distance of the thumbs. A bit heath Robinson but I found this method rather accurate especially as I did not realise at the time that the original SQlabs saddle had the saddle size clearly marked on a clothing tab stitched to the side of the saddle!

Comfy riding to all of you and shall update over the next weeks / months if it helps any of you?

Peck.

View attachment 33493

View attachment 33494

View attachment 33495

View attachment 33496

View attachment 33497

View attachment 33498

View attachment 33499

View attachment 33500

View attachment 33501

View attachment 33502

View attachment 33503

View attachment 33504

View attachment 33505

Thanks for a really useful review @p3eps.

I'm looking for a saddle that will let me ride for a couple of hours and see that SQlab have a number of different Ergolux models, those with comfort padding. The 602 that you have and also a 610 Active, which has different rubbers and the same foam. Both the saddles are for comfort and long rides.

Does the 'bumper' get in the way of the rail adjustment at all?

With the sizing, did you order as per the advice on the site? My sit bones are 9.5cm, which means even the 13cm 610 would be a little big and the 14cm (smallest) 602 even bigger.

Also, the SQlab site says it takes 5-6 rides, with pain!, to get used to their saddles, did you find this to be the case?

Thanks

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
not really a issue for me, as mtb riding is very active in changing posture , and lot´s of on/ out the saddle. Now I´m going for a 2 days ride, so my "interface" with the saddle is a little worried about it . :devilish: :alien:

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Usually something firm, suits my bony arse.
Bike came with a Syncros Tofino 2.0 Regular, which thus far has proven to be comfy enough for me not to notice it.

Saddles are usually so much of a personal thing that i dont think you can pick one by the numbers. No amount of data or tech info will decide the matter
It either fits and is comfy or doesn't. Your bum will let you know which.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Also, the SQlab site says it takes 5-6 rides, with pain!, to get used to their saddles, did you find this to be the case?
I just think that's true period. Nothing to do with brand, make or style. If I haven't been riding for a while (like a few months), I know my bum is going to hurt. Your body adapts. It was the same when I did white water - I knew I'd get blisters on my hands if I'd had a break.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
That would be surprising. If they are though, then you should be looking at saddles for children; they would get down to that size. You might find a good quality bmx saddle for example.
I just think that's true period. Nothing to do with brand, make or style. If I haven't been riding for a while (like a few months), I know my bum is going to hurt. Your body adapts. It was the same when I did white water - I knew I'd get blisters on my hands if I'd had a break.

I used the sitting on card method to measure my sit bone twice to be sure, and it came up the same both times. Looking at the SQ site, ir recommended a 14cm and Ergon the Ergon site S/M.

After trying four other saddles including an SQ, I've ended up with a S/M Ergon SM E-Mountain Core Prime which is the most comfortable one I've had.

Reactive

Apr 15, 2022
SF Bay Area, CA
This month I switched from the standard saddle on the Specialized Turbo Levo. After over 700 miles on that saddle and I had terrific pain on a couple of back-to-back long rides of 40+ miles. My standard rides are 2.5 - 3.5 hours, with 2500' to 3500' of climbing. So my ass is on the saddle for a good bit.

The Ergon SMC Core has been a very good improvement. My riding shorts grinding on me was the first issue, then the shoes were the next issue for the longer 2+ hour rides, and now the saddle. I have not had the rash and groin issues since changing this month. About 150 miles on the Ergon saddle. I am not saying the pain has completely resolved but I can ride every day without fretting or having to cut the rides short. I can ride 3+ hours each day without any issues - other then my boss saying 'where the hell are you!"

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles