Comfort Saddles - what do you use?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Good grief, I can't believe I'm actually doing a post about comfort saddles. Reminds me of a close friend who got talked into riding the Central Otago Rail-Trail in the south island (NZ) by his wife. They did the whole length of it - over several days. They flew in, so just hired bikes but he refused to ride a bike with a girlie saddle (as he puts it) and asked for a thin 'manly' saddle. It broke his butt and he couldn't walk for days after, but there was no way he was going to ride a bike with a comfy saddle, hahaha!

In my case, I've recently had a prostate operation and doctor's orders - if I can't sit without putting pressure on my perineum, I can say goodbye to cycling! So it's either I find a suitable saddle OR mountain biking is something I'll be watching on TV.

Years even prior to my operation, I had already gone through so many saddles that I have lost count and given some away. These saddles come under the Trekking/City/Touring category and would usually come installed on commuter bikes.

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 4.12.02 PM.png

Current and best one I'm using is the SELLE SMP TRK because it has the widest middle recess out of all saddles of this type. In addition, it's wider so it's actually supporting my weight directly under my sit-bones instead of my crotch. It has a mens and womens (wider) version. When the saddle arrived, it came with an "eBike Ready" label on it even though nothing was mentioned about this in the specs when I ordered it. Another one of those “e-specific“ marketing hype haha... but top quality, 100% Italian-made.

Anyway, on a non-ebike it might look a bit wide, but actually it doesn't look too much out of place on my Trance e+Pro with the big battery downtube, mud fenders and fat tyres. At first I was concerned that it would get in the way when I’m standing but now I don't even know it's there any more. It’s narrower than a motorcycle seat after all. That downward hook on the front is also perfect for hanging the bike over the extended pipe at the wash down pad at some of our local trails.

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 4.44.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 4.46.31 PM.png

Last edited:

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Swapped my Levo's standard seat for my Ergon SM-PRO from another bike. Its not the ebike version but its much better at least for me - several 40+ mile rides when it was on my non-ebike and several 25+ mile on my emtb.

Was getting arse pains and now I'm not! ?

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
I swapped my Orbea standard which is Selle Vivian with my old WTB progel. The old faithful is getting pretty ragged though. I’m trying out WTB volt for my ride tomorrow and I have a week with this saddle then I’ll try something else. Local shop has a program of $10/week for any saddle and you can apply them to purchase price later on

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I swapped my Orbea standard which is Selle Vivian with my old WTB progel. The old faithful is getting pretty ragged though. I’m trying out WTB volt for my ride tomorrow and I have a week with this saddle then I’ll try something else. Local shop has a program of $10/week for any saddle and you can apply them to purchase price later on
That’s a great program to try out saddles! Wish our bike shops would adopt that.

The Selle SMP I’m now using is also a ‘gel’ as my top three all are.

If you can, please kindly post a photo of what you’ve chosen in the end and let us know how you get on. I’m always in the look out for comfort saddle user reviews. ??

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
I've been using those Selle SMP TRKs exclusively for a few years, even on my carbon XC bike. I frequently went numb down below, but used to just ignore it, thinking it normal. One particularly cold and horrible day, I needed to wee. The saddle numbness was compounded by the cold and I could feel nothing around my groin. As I spent an inordinately long time trying to fish out - with fairly cold-numb fingers - my cold-shrivelled and _completely_ numb knob, I got to thinking: "This can't be right." After a little research, and being horrified by an article that went into fairly graphic detail about the nerve damage I could be causing, I bought my first Selle saddle.

I don't think I've used another type of saddle since, aside from quick spins on someone else's bike. I felt a little embarrassed by it at first, but it was so nice not having my undercarriage go numb, so I quickly got over it. So, I really can't advise if there's anything better out there, but I'm certainly happy with the Selle. They last well too for a pretty cheap saddle.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
After a little research, and being horrified by an article that went into fairly graphic detail about the nerve damage I could be causing, I bought my first Selle saddle...
I’ve been riding a bike on and off for nearly 50 years. Throughout that time, I’ve always thought that bicycle saddles were never designed correctly. But I mean, I certainly didn’t know what shape it needed to be - so I just went along with the status quo. I’d hate to think what damage this has actually done to cyclists...

Thanks for your feedback! ??

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Bike came with a WTB volt sport. Find it pretty good to be honest. 40k+ it starts to feel uncomfortable but usually my whole body is feeling uncomfortable by then so doubt it's the seat

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
That’s a great program to try out saddles! Wish our bike shops would adopt that.

The Selle SMP I’m now using is also a ‘gel’ as my top three all are.

If you can, please kindly post a photo of what you’ve chosen in the end and let us know how you get on. I’m always in the look out for comfort saddle user reviews. ??

I'm feeling proud of my shop now - I couldn't decide between 2 of their selle smp's so they gave me a sport trek for a week, then posted out the gel version when I changed my mind. I think they had 3 different demos, plus lots of different brands.

FUGLY monsters, but they seem to work. The nose is just the right slope , channel seems effective. Fugly, though...

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I'm interested in the SMP's due to those steep climbs where you have to sit on the front of the seatpost and let it violate you. Do the SMP's help with that?

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
I'm interested in the SMP's due to those steep climbs where you have to sit on the front of the seatpost and let it violate you. Do the SMP's help with that?
Yep, definitely less of those phallus-assessing-sphincter-tension moments with the dropped nose.

Also, after installing the SMP, I found that I was opting to sit forward on the saddle less and less. I think that's because it was the first saddle I had that was properly wide enough at the rear for my sit bones, so I was less likely to feel that I needed to prop myself forward.

So both less likely to violate, with less opportunities to do so!

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal

just to correct my self it’s Selle ViVo. Damn autocorrect

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I like the wtb saddles, but have tried lots of brands before I settled with this brand.
The nose of the OP saddle is something else!!! Reminds me the singer of Rush, Geddy Lee ?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I'm feeling proud of my shop now - I couldn't decide between 2 of their selle smp's so they gave me a sport trek for a week, then posted out the gel version when I changed my mind. I think they had 3 different demos, plus lots of different brands.

FUGLY monsters, but they seem to work. The nose is just the right slope , channel seems effective. Fugly, though...
Think of it as a 'boardwalk cafe-racer' custom saddle... ;)
I like the wtb saddles, but have tried lots of brands before I settled with this brand.
The nose of the OP saddle is something else!!! Reminds me the singer of Rush, Geddy Lee ?
Reminds me of the nose of Gonzo from the MuppetShow! :ROFLMAO: But I always thought he was a cool dude!:giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: iXi

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
just to correct my self it’s Selle ViVo. Damn autocorrect
Ok, we'll let that slide.

Although, if you accidentally call out the name 'Vivian' in the heat of the moment... mentioning "damn autocorrect" is an excuse that's NOT going to save you! ;):giggle:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Off topic but I can't believe how sickeningly clean your bike is. My bike was dirtier than that brand new on the bike stand in the shop!!!
Thanks! Believe it or not, I hardly clean or wipe my bike.

In fact even on that pic I just leave the mud splatter underneath the downtube... I can't be bothered. If I've ridden through mud I hose it down with a gentle sprinkler hose head and a soft brush but only where needed. Then blow dry with a garden leaf blower. If a missed a spot, maybe I'll wipe it with a wet rag or maybe I won't.

BUT I'll let you in my little secret - which I do on all my bikes. I apply this polymer stuff (Meguiar's NXT Paint Sealant) on the very first day my new bike arrives! I take the wheels off and apply it on every painted surface including the fork sliders (I keep it away from the stanchions and the brake rotors tho). Mud won't stick to your bike... heck, even ants find it too slippery and can't climb up it, haha.

If you want to apply that onto an older bike, make sure you clean the painted parts thoroughly first.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 7.39.55 AM.png

It's not helitape though... and won't stop this from happening (see below pic)... ? I don't mind, it's an off-road vehicle. I can probably take that off with automotive scratch remover paste, but can't be bothered at the mo, haha.

Scratches.jpg

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US
Good grief, I can't believe I'm actually doing a post about comfort saddles. Reminds me of a close friend who got talked into riding the Central Otago Rail-Trail in the south island (NZ) by his wife. They did the whole length of it - over several days. They flew in, so just hired bikes but he refused to ride a bike with a girlie saddle (as he puts it) and asked for a thin 'manly' saddle. It broke his butt and he couldn't walk for days after, but there was no way he was going to ride a bike with a comfy saddle, hahaha!

In my case, I've recently had a prostate operation and doctor's orders - if I can't sit without putting pressure on my perineum, I can say goodbye to cycling! So it's either I find a suitable saddle OR mountain biking is something I'll be watching on TV.

Years even prior to my operation, I had already gone through so many saddles that I have lost count and given some away. These saddles come under the Trekking/City/Touring category and would usually come installed on commuter bikes.

View attachment 32142

Current and best one I'm using is the SELLE SMP TRK because it has the widest middle recess out of all saddles of this type. In addition, it's wider so it's actually supporting my weight directly under my sit-bones instead of my crotch. It has a mens and womens (wider) version. When the saddle arrived, it came with an "eBike Ready" label on it even though nothing was mentioned about this in the specs when I ordered it. Another one of those “e-specific“ marketing hype haha... but top quality, 100% Italian-made.

Anyway, on a non-ebike it might look a bit wide, but actually it doesn't look too much out of place on my Trance e+Pro with the big battery downtube, mud fenders and fat tyres. At first I was concerned that it would get in the way when I’m standing but now I don't even know it's there any more. It’s narrower than a motorcycle seat after all. That downward hook on the front is also perfect for hanging the bike over the extended pipe at the wash down pad at some of our local trails.

View attachment 32143

View attachment 32144
I have the exact some saddle. I thought I was the only one with that odd ball looking seat on my bike lol Definitely recommend it, or at least a similar Selle Saddle. Hey btw, what rear mudguard is that? Been having a hard time finding one that will fit either my Decoy or older Haibike. Thanks!

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US

View attachment 32142

View attachment 32143

View attachment 32144

514C2E9A-0427-47D1-B152-C1564A2C5C73.jpeg

EC3C8F20-38E9-4731-946C-98AB779C4773.jpeg

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Hey btw, what rear mudguard is that? Been having a hard time finding one that will fit either my Decoy or older Haibike. Thanks!
MuckyNuts

It’s made in the UK but happens to be available in our LBSs so I didn’t need to import it. I think the one I used for the back is the shorter front version because I only wanted it to protect the rear shock and suspension pivots. I still get splatter on my back which is fine by me. They have a longer version rear fender.

The fork fender is a Suntour factory item that came with the fork. It's minimal coverage only which I like, and stops mud and debris from hitting the fork arch which would then drop and land on top of the fork seals. It's also enough to stop stones from flicking forward which at speed does swing back and hit me on the face.

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Cut through the ebike specific BS and just get a WTB Volt. It works and it’s cheap if you search.
Give me some credit mate! :) Those saddles have been around even before the phrase ‘eBike specific’ was coined. I chose it specifically for its shape - so don’t lump me into a user group inside your head that presumably doesn’t know any better. :unsure:

I had a quick look at the WTB Volt and it might've been fine for me 20 years ago. But having tried so many similar saddles over the years, I know it won't be adequate for my situation - having had a prostate condition and recent medical operation.

Last edited:

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Give me some credit mate! :) Those saddles have been around even before the phrase ‘eBike specific’ was coined. I chose it specifically for its shape - so don’t lump me into a user group inside your head that presumably doesn’t know any better. :unsure:

I had a quick look at the WTB Volt and it might've been fine for me 20 years ago. But having tried so many similar saddles over the years, I know it won't be adequate for my situation - having had a prostate condition and recent medical operation.
Ok, I wasn’t aware of your condition, should have read the thread more thoroughly. It was meant to be a general comment.

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for tip GrandPaBrogan. I've ordered the Lareg Gel version.

I had to give up riding years ago because of the pain and long lasting aching - it often carried on for days after even a 50km ride.

I have a Spongy Wonder on my, not often used, commuting bike. It certainly saves the aches, but it just doesn't seem to let me get any leg power into the pedals.

Cyclingwilly

May 8, 2020
County Durham
The best saddle I ever had was one fitted to my 1992 Marin Palisades Trail, it followed me on my next 3 steeds until it fell apart. I have a Spesh BG on my road bike and based on the reviews I've read over the years, I've just ordered a Charge Spoon, I might have mentioned on here a few days ago that I had the Spoon on my road bike, but I was mistaken. An old age thing I think.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I guess I’m fairly fortunate that my arse has yet to demand anything too specific to sit on, and I actually find the stock saddle on my Trance pretty comfy. Otherwise I’ve always liked the Fabric Scoop Radius.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles