What do all you e-bikers do in winter???

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
That pic isn't exactly typical of a regular winter ride. Normally it wasn't so bad, but for 3 months about, cleaning and lubing the chain, and chain-wheels was a daily routine.

My cleaning technique was to almost never hose it off. I would put a fan on it overnight, sometimes even a heater. In the morning, or a least by early afternoon, it would be dry enough to brush it off, relube, and go again.

The bike looked like hell all winter no doubt! But it kept on keeping on.
Also I've found rubbing the frame with a rag sprayed with silicone stops the mud from sticking as much

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
This.
20200612_110716.jpg

Jaspy

Jun 9, 2021
Bea Sea Canada
Last winter i had a pair like them but with regular studs. I kept over 99% of studs. Please let us know, i read the XL are more likely to need to be replaced.
You are Absolutely right about the studs. I checked every single one of them with the insert tool before I rode. After contacting 45nrth they suggested doing that first since I had no dry pavement. After first ride I lost 35 xl studs. After replacing them the weather shifted enough for me to ride pavement for 35kms. Next mt trip I only lost 22 😱 ! So after further reading I have heard the regular’s don’t eject so easily. I have since ordered 300 and will let you know. I have replaced over 76 studs in four rides. It seems that if you hit any rocks or hard surface with hard braking or spin at all the studs eject like bullets. Will keep you posted. Cheers 🍻

Btw I have noticed that 45Nrth is Not recommending these tires for ebikes, which I didn’t know when I bought them. No other problems so far.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
You are Absolutely right about the studs. I checked every single one of them with the insert tool before I rode. After contacting 45nrth they suggested doing that first since I had no dry pavement. After first ride I lost 35 xl studs. After replacing them the weather shifted enough for me to ride pavement for 35kms. Next mt trip I only lost 22 😱 ! So after further reading I have heard the regular’s don’t eject so easily. I have since ordered 300 and will let you know. I have replaced over 76 studs in four rides. It seems that if you hit any rocks or hard surface with hard braking or spin at all the studs eject like bullets. Will keep you posted. Cheers 🍻

Btw I have noticed that 45Nrth is Not recommending these tires for ebikes, which I didn’t know when I bought them. No other problems so far.
I did almost a full season on mines with my Giant Ebike. I just counted 1 tire none is missing.
On my first asphalt ride i choosed an empty street so i was not going straight. I wanted all studs on the pavement so i was doing S and it worked. The middle and side regular studs all stayed on a tire and i only lost 1 or 2 on the other. Good luck !

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What I have learned by intimation, is that before riding a tyre with metal studs you need to ride the tyre on a hard surface (how far, how aggressively, with/without braking, what about hard cornering...?) My assumption is that this is a bit like bedding in new brake pads - a necessary step to prepare the tyre for the job it has to do. Can anyone share what the process is, chemical, physical....?

I'm only interested, I don't believe that I will ever need studded tyres. But you never know, someone might ask me.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
What I have learned by intimation, is that before riding a tyre with metal studs you need to ride the tyre on a hard surface (how far, how aggressively, with/without braking, what about hard cornering...?) My assumption is that this is a bit like bedding in new brake pads - a necessary step to prepare the tyre for the job it has to do. Can anyone share what the process is, chemical, physical....?

I'm only interested, I don't believe that I will ever need studded tyres. But you never know, someone might ask me.
Maybe you can email 45nrth to ask them.
From my perspective and i am just a rider here we talk about tires with pockets/holes.
Putting about 500 studs(for a pair) maybe some are imperfectly installed.
By riding we put pressure and they all get in may i say all the way in.
Just pure gravity no magic.
We can always *disloge a stud* or loose a stud if we lock a tire on a rock or a root
but you read my experience it will not happen everyday.
Some joke about the distance but i would suggest 30 minutes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles