Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hey man one more awkward question. So I have been translating some of the reviews on the Decathlon U.K. website and one review stood about locking out the rear suspension.
Are you absolutely sure, that the rear suspension locks our completely? I am planning to use this bike for some touring as well...and I am not so sure about bouncing about. I have posted the translated review below.

I practice mixed mountain biking (home work during the week / hike on weekends) and have just gone completely suspended with this L-shaped model ... without any regrets! Super equipment, very well integrated motorization and very efficient geometry! If I had an idea for the future: switch to a lockable rear shock absorber for the rolling portions. And work the total weight a bit, even if the weight distribution is top. At this price, the competition has only to keep up!

A lot of the newer and higher spec'd suspension units don't actually "lock" these days - they just go "Firm".

Out of curiosity, I did two back to back tests a few months ago on the Kenevo (180mm). 30km mix of fire road, cycle paths, some mud plugging and road. First day - open suspension. Second day - set "firm" front and back.

The times and battery usage were so similar that I just leave it open all the time now. It makes far less of an impact on an emtb than it does on a normal mtb.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Now now gentlemen, I'm sure you're both very bright, exceedingly good looking, equally hung like donkeys and both suffer from massive testicles causing saddle issues.

As for the frame .. how about we agree it's "similar" as it uses the same design style, being the same manufacturer.

Rich666

Jan 23, 2020
UK
Hey man one more awkward question. So I have been translating some of the reviews on the Decathlon U.K. website and one review stood about locking out the rear suspension.
Are you absolutely sure, that the rear suspension locks our completely? I am planning to use this bike for some touring as well...and I am not so sure about bouncing about. I have posted the translated review below.

I practice mixed mountain biking (home work during the week / hike on weekends) and have just gone completely suspended with this L-shaped model ... without any regrets! Super equipment, very well integrated motorization and very efficient geometry! If I had an idea for the future: switch to a lockable rear shock absorber for the rolling portions. And work the total weight a bit, even if the weight distribution is top. At this price, the competition has only to keep up!

Looking at the pictures, there is no lockout switch.

Yorkshire redneck

Jan 30, 2020
Halifax
No, its the open mould Shimano STEPS frame made by BPS as well, as such it shoes the same design, but the geometry is different.

So it looks the same because it is from the same factory, but its not the same frame, any more than the 5 or 6 other Emtb frames they make which use the same suspension and frame design are the same.

That not me having a pop at you, its just a almost identical looking but very different geometry frameset.

The factories tend to make one frame design, that is adapted to multiple motors/markets.

Sorry pal, its CLEARLY not the open mould for the shimano steps motor, Decathlon, Lombardo and Megamo are using the same frame as I will show
comparison.jpg

As you will see above the Lombardo , Megamo, and Decathlon....all 3 bikes use the same rear triangle, same linkage on the rear triangle , the cable routing is the same on the rear triangle, the weliding joints are even that same on all 3 bikes.

Next is the rear shock linkage, all 3 bikes are using the same linkage, even where the shock mounts the motor housing is the same on all 3 bikes.

Then we move on to top tube and down tube, same on all 3 bikes. the lock mechanism is the same on the lombardo and the decathlon.....slightly higher on the Megamo to compensate for the Shimano battery.

The removable battery cover is the same on all 3 bikes right up to the "lever" at the top near the fork crown.

comparison 2.jpg

Now you will see above the motor housing and the lower part of battery cover.....lower shock mount is the same, position of the charge port is in exactly the same place. The only thing that is different is the cradle that holds the motor, also the battery cover is the same.

crave decathlon.jpg

Decathlon and Megamo superimposed on top of each other.....same frame.

lombardo crave.jpg

The Lombardo and the Megamo superimposed on top of each other......same frame.

I thank you......Drops mike...leaves forum

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sooooooo ..

You're saying that BPS Bicycle Industrial .. who make the OEM frames, try to use as many tubes and sections when making DIFFERENT frames to keep costs down and to identify their design style ?

You can see on your crave/stilus comparison that the rear triangle is different where it connects at the bottom.

Similar .. not the same .. if they were the same, they would be ... THE SAME .. To be the same they'd at least need some generic motor mounting system with an exchangeable sub frame.

You can tell the weathers crap . I mean ... who cares ! why did I even reply :) freekin weather ..

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Your splitting hair's now . ?..ok it's the same frame made to fit a different motor and battery

I'm not trying to... ok, I'm a dick, that's cool . But in this instance I'm trying to be a realist.

I'm not trying to argue semantics about same or similar or what the same means.

There are lots of OEM manufacturers out there which make "similar" frames to suit different motors. They invariably look very similar and they try to re-use as many sections between frames as possible. But as they're for different motors - they aren't the same frame - if they were the same, they would at a minimum be interchangeable.

The different motor shapes then invariably also end up causing slight changes in angle for the downtube, which in turn causes lots of other small changes.

As it is, the downtubes are using completely different batteries, which are different dimensions, so you'll probably find the downtubes aren't actually the same anyway.

I totally agree that the frames are made by the same company and most likely drawn up by the same team. I also agree that they're incredibly similar. But, they're different frames for use with different motor systems, so they're not the same frame. Two children born from the same parents might be similar - but they're not the same.

PS : nice job on your superimposing !

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Your splitting hair's now . ?..ok it's the same frame made to fit a different motor and battery
Like I said I want having a go at you, you said it the same frame, and it isn't, its a frame from the same factory designed by the same people and using the same frame design, but it isn't the same frame.

Thats important because any one looking at the geometry numbers for the Steps frame thinking they relate to the Bosch frame is going to get the wrong information.

Its like saying the Levo and Levo SL have the same frame, they have the same design, but are not the same frame.

Unlike you I looked at the geometry charts, so if you dont mind, I am going to pick up your mike, drop it again for you, and stay on the forum

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Like I said I want having a go at you, you said it the same frame, and it isn't, its a frame from the same factory designed by the same people and using the same frame design, but it isn't the same frame.

Thats important because any one looking at the geometry numbers for the Steps frame thinking they relate to the Bosch frame is going to get the wrong information.

Its like saying the Levo and Levo SL have the same frame, they have the same design, but are not the same frame.

Unlike you I looked at the geometry charts, so if you dont mind, I am going to pick up your mike, drop it again for you, and stay on the forum
To be fair . . . the fella started a conversation that got us to this point. That is kinda the point of a forum . . . anyway, well done to you all for your investigative work. :)

I am really keen to try one . . . I might have even recommended it to my boss to look at. Well . . . at least that way I'll get a go.

Gareth82

Feb 18, 2020
N. Ireland
I am looking to buy my first ebike (currently ride a commencal 55 meta) been researching for the past few months and finding it hard to find a better spec full sus for less than than 3k, has anyone any better suggestions in my price range than the stilus? Thanks

cre3

Feb 24, 2020
Toulouse
Also interested in this ebike to improv overall confort (south of France + Pyrénées)
I currently have a hardtail XC 500 11spd bike also sell by Decathlon with upgraded wheels.

For owners, can you confirm the tyres are "Schwalbe Smart sam DD 27.5x2.60" with known ref 11600984.01 ?
Did someone convert to tubeless with them?

Relic Racing

Mar 10, 2020
Doncaster UK
I am looking to buy my first ebike (currently ride a commencal 55 meta) been researching for the past few months and finding it hard to find a better spec full sus for less than than 3k, has anyone any better suggestions in my price range than the stilus? Thanks[/
I know its a little more expensive, but CANYON are selling their SPECTRAL ON AL 6.0 for £2899. It runs a 29" Front and 27.5" Rear, Fox 36mm Forks and a Shimano Steps 7000 motor. It doesn't have the integrated battery of the Stilus which looks better imo

Kmmf

Jan 11, 2020
Liverpool
Hi kmmf any update on your purchase..How is the bike working out for you?
Hi Javedmr, after 5 times bike park play, I felt very happy with it. I dont regret to buy this bike. But the KS seatpost got some problem after last time play. it cant hold the position, I've ask the Decathlon staff , maybe need a replacement after investigation. The motor pretty good till now, it is smooth. I dont felt the noise but I dont have any comparisons with other. The folk is not a top model, but I understand the price is reflecting that.

Javedmr

Jan 22, 2020
Nottingham
Hi Javedmr, after 5 times bike park play, I felt very happy with it. I dont regret to buy this bike. But the KS seatpost got some problem after last time play. it cant hold the position, I've ask the Decathlon staff , maybe need a replacement after investigation. The motor pretty good till now, it is smooth. I dont felt the noise but I dont have any comparisons with other. The folk is not a top model, but I understand the price is reflecting that.
Thanks....have you attempted any jumps? And on average how many miles do you get out of the battery. I am thinking if I should also buy an additional battery. I like going for long rides on weekend with my regular bike...40miles or so...I suppose with an ebike this could double

Kmmf

Jan 11, 2020
Liverpool
Thanks....have you attempted any jumps? And on average how many miles do you get out of the battery. I am thinking if I should also buy an additional battery. I like going for long rides on weekend with my regular bike...40miles or so...I suppose with an ebike this could double
Yes, tried to jump but not too big, there is no issue when you have proper setting on the fork and rear shock. I haven't try to long ride since I haven't enough time to play long ride. But the meter shown 39 miles to go in your mode when fully charge. hope it can for your reference.

Kmmf

Jan 11, 2020
Liverpool
Yes, tried to jump but not too big, there is no issue when you have proper setting on the fork and rear shock. I haven't try to long ride since I haven't enough time to play long ride. But the meter shown 39 miles to go in your mode when fully charge. hope it can for your reference.
tour mode

Javedmr

Jan 22, 2020
Nottingham
Thanks, I will buy a spare battery, just in case

Kmmf

Jan 11, 2020
Liverpool
Also interested in this ebike to improv overall confort (south of France + Pyrénées)
I currently have a hardtail XC 500 11spd bike also sell by Decathlon with upgraded wheels.

For owners, can you confirm the tyres are "Schwalbe Smart sam DD 27.5x2.60" with known ref 11600984.01 ?
Did someone convert to tubeless with them?

Yes, it's a Schwalbe Smart sam, the rim is timeless ready, but haven't try yet.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía

I much preferred "timeless".... timeless rims will, in future, be my perfect excuse to my wife as to why I never get home by the appointed hour. From now on I'll be telling her: "But it's the fault of my rims. They're timeless, so the minutes and hours just drift by without measure..."

Think it will work? :unsure:

Javedmr

Jan 22, 2020
Nottingham
I much preferred "timeless".... timeless rims will, in future, be my perfect excuse to my wife as to why I never get home by the appointed hour. From now on I'll be telling her: "But it's the fault of my rims. They're timeless, so the minutes and hours just drift by without measure..."

Think it will work? :unsure:
Very poetic Graham, but I suspect it’s not gonna work...lol

Gnappo

Mar 13, 2020
Italy
Hello. I'm interested to know what you think of the chassis and how it behaves about agility

Kmmf

Jan 11, 2020
Liverpool
Hello. I'm interested to know what you think of the chassis and how it behaves about agility

I only can say it's very stable when go fast. Honestly, the chainstay of this frame pretty long , its talking about 485mm. you may find the following link for the reference.
As some people said long chainstay is hard to wheelie and manual, lower agility also. but I dont have the definition since I dont know how to do wheelie and manual at this moment .

chainstay discussion :
How does chainstay length affect the way a bike handles? - Pinkbike Forum

StilusBoy79

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
Greetings, I just received a hastily ordered stilus yesterday, saw the price tag, trawled for reviews and found this thread. It seems I am lucky to get one of the last in stock.

I was intending to quarantine the parcel upon delivery but couldn’t resist. This is my first proper ebike experience and I am blown away, I have come from a Norco Sight 1 which was replaced by norco in 2014.

This is a heavy bike but you wouldn’t really think so when riding it. The cutoff is not treacle like as reviews of older tech seemed to describe, one very happy (almost Easter) bunny - perfect for lockdown fun !

A4D8AC2A-F7C2-4462-82AF-24F7A7DA98B7.jpeg
98C76CD7-0A7B-48F7-9735-3D820C447FF1.jpeg
E33BB8D9-C6EE-4CAB-9268-A1ABC8625A03.jpeg

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
I only can say it's very stable when go fast. Honestly, the chainstay of this frame pretty long , its talking about 485mm. you may find the following link for the reference.
As some people said long chainstay is hard to wheelie and manual, lower agility also. but I dont have the definition since I dont know how to do wheelie and manual at this moment .

chainstay discussion :
How does chainstay length affect the way a bike handles? - Pinkbike Forum

Any chance you could measure and verify the length of the chainstay? My 2018 Cube has a 473mm chainstay length, which is considered huge by today's geometry with the 2020 Bosch motor.

That seems to me the only weakness of this bike. The specs look otherwise unbeatable at this price point. I would be happy to buy from Decathlon as I find their after sales service to be solid and I don't mind putting up with the Bosch 2020 clunk in return for Bosch reliability and network.

StilusBoy79

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
Any chance you could measure and verify the length of the chainstay? My 2018 Cube has a 473mm chainstay length, which is considered huge by today's geometry with the 2020 Bosch motor.

That seems to me the only weakness of this bike. The specs look otherwise unbeatable at this price point. I would be happy to buy from Decathlon as I find their after sales service to be solid and I don't mind putting up with the Bosch 2020 clunk in return for Bosch reliability and network.

This is approx 49cm so the measurement is likely accurate above. I can’t really manual despite riddling for years so this is food for thought. :oops:

This bike arriving was a shock to me, albeit a pleasant surprise. Following my order decathalon sent a cancellation email. Then out of blue I got a parcelforce text upon waking yesterday.... I will forgive them as I’m v happy :)

Need to go tubeless as I got a flat following a thorn on the test ride. In same loop I always do.... doh.

I am approx 5'9.5 though I have been rounding up for years. I wouldn’t recommend the medium for anyone any taller.
I plan to measure the difference with the old bike as that’s as quite small cockpit too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles