Levo Gen 2 2021 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

vham777

Oct 8, 2018
Switzerland
Hi Guys

i am back in the specialized club - had a commencal meta power 2018 for almost 3 seasons now and wanted something new.

i went for the base modell and the lbs directly did some nice upgrades
zeb ultimate 180mm (will go down to 170mm but there wasn't any avaiability)
coil super deluxe 210x55
650B rear wheel dt swiss H1700
dt swiss H1700 29 front wheel
cockpit
XT 4 piston brakes

i wanted to put a axs dropper post - does anyone know if a 170mm fits in the M frame?
IMG_2292.jpeg

JBel

Aug 8, 2020
CA
Hey All,
I have about 150km's on my 2021 Levo and have an experience to offer for those on a Small or Medium sized frame (these sizes come with a 40mm stem, as opposed to 50mm on the larger sizes).

After getting the bike and doing one ride I trimmed the bars to 750mm, which has been my preferred width over many different bikes now. After a few more rides, I still didn't feel comfortable in corners or rough technical sections, as I had trouble getting a good feel for the level of front tyre grip and and I felt like a bit of a passenger on the bike rather than being in control. Many times I ended up off the line I wanted to ride, or drifting wide in corners. I felt a bit disconnected from the front wheel.

Today I swapped out the 40mm stem for a 50mm stem that I had and I am really happy with the difference. In corners and just general riding I feel like my steering inputs are having much more of an effect and in corners I feel back in control. It is surprising that such a small change has had such a big effect. I have ridden steep or rough tech yet but I am very confident in the change from todays ride on my local trails.

Obviously this change is a bit personal in terms of fit, and won't be the same for everyone, but if you are feeling like I was then maybe try a 50mm stem.

For reference I am 174cm, and fairly experienced on a bike.
Thanks for that information. I went riding this week and found the same experiences that you mention. I will try changing the stem. I had thought about trimming the bars based on something I read but have not yet done that.

JBel

Aug 8, 2020
CA
Here is something that came up on my wife's Levo. I adjusted the dropper for her and when torquing the post clamp the bolt head stripped out. I managed to extract it by ramming a hex head in the bolt and gently working it out. The bolt seemed to be made of a really soft material. I replaced it with a good hex head bolt from my local hardware store. This bolt was easy to torque. Now, if something comes up on the trail I will not have to worry I can't adjust the seat. I am going to change out the bolt on my Levo this week. If you replace the bolt remember to take off the half-moon "washer" and put it on the new bolt.

Ivan

Dec 29, 2018
Australia
Hi Guys

i am back in the specialized club - had a commencal meta power 2018 for almost 3 seasons now and wanted something new.

coil super deluxe 210x55
cockpit
XT 4 piston brakes

i wanted to put a axs dropper post - does anyone know if a 170mm fits in the M frame?
View attachment 41835
That colour is really nice in person. The pictures of it don't do it justice.

Bencab

Feb 13, 2020
California
Hi Guys

coil super deluxe 210x55
cockpit
XT 4 piston brakes

View attachment 41835
Yes Axs 170mm dropper post fits on a medium frame.

integrity

Mar 27, 2020
Oslo, no
I got the 2021 Turbo Levo Comp in Oak Green Metallic after calling almost every specialized dealer in Spain (I found one that had many of them in stock). Local dealer told me i had to wait until march to get one. So glad I didn't sign up for that. It looks super fresh and is as fun to ride as ever. The 700Wh battery is a must and lasts longer than my fitness in the mountains. Bike is sick no doubt. BUT I used to own a 2019 Expert which I has to sell due to relocation, BUT there are already several things I'm not happy with on the 2021 comp so far. But let's start with what I'm happy about.

Happy with:
1) Battery size (I wouldn't even consider the 500Wh)
2) Fox suspension and upping to the 160mm travel in the front is king
3) The M5 ALU frame is good. I'm not missing the carbon frame.
4) I'm glad the dropper post is not a command post.
5) The color is super fresh.

Not happy with:

1) The hubs have shitty old school cup bearings and I didn't know. This is not something I would even consider checking before buying on a 6000 EUR bike. Further on I had to loosen the bearing preload on the front wheel on mine as it came overtightened (could "feel the bearings" when rotating). Some will probably argue that it's good tech; but I prefer mechanical sealed bearings that I can change out for whatever quality I want and as often as I want.
2) The SLX brake lever is small and can't go far enough to the left on the handlebar due to the turbo Levo control.
3) The center lock discs are not fixed tight - they move back and forth at the hub/disc interface when moving the bike (like to check headset tightness). I thought this was wrong, but they assure me that it should be like this in the store. They came with some bullshit argument about letting the disc move due to heat. I think it's poor tolerances on poor hubs/disc spines (any tips on this issue is taken with open arms)
4) I have some more play than normal in my FOX 36 fork bushings. This is my third 36 on a specialized; and I never had that much play in these previous forks. I think this is just bad luck though. It's probably within "acceptance criteria" but I notice. I know when oil gets in there and I'm riding it should not be affecting performance...but still annoying. I don't think I will bother trying to get this on warranty as the hassle is not worth it really.
5) It's not silent where it should be. Not sure if it's due to all above or something else, but the front actually makes a little rattling noise when riding. It's not a lot but noticeable. May be cable movement or brake pads. I haven't gotten to the bottom of this as i have been to busy riding :)

Upgrades I will likely do at some point (if i don't sell and upgrade model next year).
1) Wheels and brakes
2) Handlebar
3) Service the fork bushings (bad luck)

All in all I still think it's the best e-bike out there, and wouldn't change it for anything else in the market right now.

HopperMtb

Oct 29, 2020
Bay Area CA
Copied from my newbies section post...

Hello everyone! Just picked up a 2021 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp in Spruce yesterday afternoon. Bike looks great and I can’t wait to get it dialed in. Converting to tubeless and adding cushcores later this afternoon.

I’ve been riding analog for a few years now and recently started Road biking as well. This will be a welcome addition to the stable that allows me to enjoy MTB before or after a nice long road ride etc.

Looking forward to meeting more people out in the trails. I’m in the SF East Bay Area. Thanks!!

5C0DB854-EFD1-458C-B19C-598B048A99DA.jpeg
D69C8371-842E-4A4C-AA44-0739F3EE99F0.jpeg
B85F21BD-40CC-4087-9485-C5AB4D0F2F80.jpeg

Last edited:

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I got the 2021 Turbo Levo Comp in Oak Green Metallic after calling almost every specialized dealer in Spain (I found one that had many of them in stock). Local dealer told me i had to wait until march to get one. So glad I didn't sign up for that. It looks super fresh and is as fun to ride as ever. The 700Wh battery is a must and lasts longer than my fitness in the mountains. Bike is sick no doubt. BUT I used to own a 2019 Expert which I has to sell due to relocation, BUT there are already several things I'm not happy with on the 2021 comp so far. But let's start with what I'm happy about.

Happy with:
1) Battery size (I wouldn't even consider the 500Wh)
2) Fox suspension and upping to the 160mm travel in the front is king
3) The M5 ALU frame is good. I'm not missing the carbon frame.
4) I'm glad the dropper post is not a command post.
5) The color is super fresh.

Not happy with:
1) The hubs have shitty old school cup bearings and I didn't know. This is not something I would even consider checking before buying on a 6000 EUR bike. Further on I had to loosen the bearing preload on the front wheel on mine as it came overtightened (could "feel the bearings" when rotating). Some will probably argue that it's good tech; but I prefer mechanical sealed bearings that I can change out for whatever quality I want and as often as I want.
2) The SLX brake lever is small and can't go far enough to the left on the handlebar due to the turbo Levo control.
3) The center lock discs are not fixed tight - they move back and forth at the hub/disc interface when moving the bike (like to check headset tightness). I thought this was wrong, but they assure me that it should be like this in the store. They came with some bullshit argument about letting the disc move due to heat. I think it's poor tolerances on poor hubs/disc spines (any tips on this issue is taken with open arms)
4) I have some more play than normal in my FOX 36 fork bushings. This is my third 36 on a specialized; and I never had that much play in these previous forks. I think this is just bad luck though. It's probably within "acceptance criteria" but I notice. I know when oil gets in there and I'm riding it should not be affecting performance...but still annoying. I don't think I will bother trying to get this on warranty as the hassle is not worth it really.
5) It's not silent where it should be. Not sure if it's due to all above or something else, but the front actually makes a little rattling noise when riding. It's not a lot but noticeable. May be cable movement or brake pads. I haven't gotten to the bottom of this as i have been to busy riding :)

Upgrades I will likely do at some point (if i don't sell and upgrade model next year).
1) Wheels and brakes
2) Handlebar
3) Service the fork bushings (bad luck)

All in all I still think it's the best e-bike out there, and wouldn't change it for anything else in the market right now.

On Option 5 of your dislikes I had the same thing. The battery rattles against the frame on some units. If you add a bit of foam or padding to the top of the battery to push it against the frame a bit that fixed it for me...

bertschb

Aug 30, 2020
Anywhere
The only gripe I have with my 2021 Comp is the brakes. Good modulation but they howl LOUDLY. Every 3-4 rides I have to remove the pads, sand them down and clean with brake fluid. I do the same with the rotors. After doing that, they work great for another 3-4 rides. I did bed the brakes when new but I ride in an area with long steep sections that require extended use of the brakes and it just cooks the pads. I've ordered resin pads and I really hope those help because it's SUPER annoying when the brakes are screaming while going downhill.

Not too excited about the SLX shifting. Can't quite seem to get it tuned correctly. Never had any problems with the SRAM setup on my Stumpjumper.

Otherwise, very happy with the Levo so far.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
The only gripe I have with my 2021 Comp is the brakes. Good modulation but they howl LOUDLY. Every 3-4 rides I have to remove the pads, sand them down and clean with brake fluid. I do the same with the rotors. After doing that, they work great for another 3-4 rides. I did bed the brakes when new but I ride in an area with long steep sections that require extended use of the brakes and it just cooks the pads. I've ordered resin pads and I really hope those help because it's SUPER annoying when the brakes are screaming while going downhill.

Not too excited about the SLX shifting. Can't quite seem to get it tuned correctly. Never had any problems with the SRAM setup on my Stumpjumper.

Otherwise, very happy with the Levo so far.

Sadly those brakes squeal when hot..They are a real pain..

kawamaha

Apr 1, 2020
Monaco
If it's got a Schraeder valve is got an air spring?
I guess. At least if you bleed the air and the fork collapses its an air fork.
Found this at the RS page - no valve at the coil cap. So yes, valve means air fork:
RockShoxSilver-Coil-Cap.jpg

Last edited:

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
How well does the Turbo Levo ride with the power off? I'm wondering if I could ride without any assist at all to build up my quads

you could definitely ride it without power. I had mine going today on no power and it’s rideable. But introduce any hills or obstacles and it’s gonna give you quite the workout!

DreamensioN

Aug 9, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Yo, 2021 Turbo Levo owners... I'm just wondering if anybody has experienced difficulty getting the screw to go in properly when putting the battery back in.

Basically - say you want to remove the battery... you unplug it and there's that hex screw you can undo on the bash cover, and the battery slides right out. Really easy to do. The problem (I have) is getting it back in. The battery slides in ok, but I can't get that screw to take hold in the threads.

After (I'm not joking) 15-20min of fiddling I'll eventually get it back in.

Anybody else have this problem or am I just a numpty?

Unicycle_DG

Sep 26, 2020
Kentucky
T
Yo, 2021 Turbo Levo owners... I'm just wondering if anybody has experienced difficulty getting the screw to go in properly when putting the battery back in.

Basically - say you want to remove the battery... you unplug it and there's that hex screw you can undo on the bash cover, and the battery slides right out. Really easy to do. The problem (I have) is getting it back in. The battery slides in ok, but I can't get that screw to take hold in the threads.

his is why I went with Amygos guard over a bash guard that utilizes that screw. I ain’t never removing the battery.

integrity

Mar 27, 2020
Oslo, no
Can someone with the 2021 Levo Comp here confirm that they have a bushing/shim on the front axle axle assembly (the FOX 36 KaboltX) and where it goes? It's maybe in the same side as the bolt head. I see that it's something new for the 2021 FOX E-bike +36 and i don't believe it's on mine; causing axle movement. Its listed in the parts list or the 2021 fork; 820-09-071-KIT. Stores that have this in stock shows both and axle and a shim (although these seem to be not the actual parts).
bushing.JPG

HopperMtb

Oct 29, 2020
Bay Area CA
Can someone with the 2021 Levo Comp here confirm that they have a bushing/shim on the front axle axle assembly (the FOX 36 KaboltX) and where it goes? It's maybe in the same side as the bolt head. I see that it's something new for the 2021 FOX E-bike +36 and i don't believe it's on mine; causing axle movement. Its listed in the parts list or the 2021 fork; 820-09-071-KIT. Stores that have this in stock shows both and axle and a shim (although these seem to be not the actual parts). View attachment 43669
I can look when I get home this evening.

integrity

Mar 27, 2020
Oslo, no
I’ve removed the front wheel once and there didn’t appear to be and shims between the fork legs and the hub but I’ll double check
That would be awesome if you could check. Thanks! Not sure if it's a shim on the axle or if it's an actual loose bushing in the fork leg where the axle enters, or something else completely. Difficult to say as there are basically no pictures/videos of this fork or its new parts yet as it is a 2021 model.

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon

Yes. I had to oval out the hole in the battery cover just a little, toward the top of the battery. This has helped.

HopperMtb

Oct 29, 2020
Bay Area CA
Can someone with the 2021 Levo Comp here confirm that they have a bushing/shim on the front axle axle assembly (the FOX 36 KaboltX) and where it goes? It's maybe in the same side as the bolt head. I see that it's something new for the 2021 FOX E-bike +36 and i don't believe it's on mine; causing axle movement. Its listed in the parts list or the 2021 fork; 820-09-071-KIT. Stores that have this in stock shows both and axle and a shim (although these seem to be not the actual parts). View attachment 43669

Ok just removed the kabolt and there is no washer or spacer on it. I tried to snap some pics of my front hub. I gave a little tug on both sides of the hub and everything was snug on there. Please excuse the dirt.
7F9D39CB-636E-4BD6-AD52-5C5AD8F6A5F5.jpeg
3840FF01-780F-420F-96A1-B3EFBD6C316B.jpeg

integrity

Mar 27, 2020
Oslo, no
Ok just removed the kabolt and there is no washer or spacer on it. I tried to snap some pics of my front hub. I gave a little tug on both sides of the hub and everything was snug on there. Please excuse the dirt.
View attachment 43691 View attachment 43692
Thanks a lot for checking! Dirt only means that you use it for what it's supposed to ;) After some more research I can't find any other explanation than that the bushing that FOX is referring to for the KaboltX axle is only for the factory 36 forks, not the 36 rythm, ref the shim in this VIDEO
All the FOX documentation on axle installation is very general so difficult to say. I ended up over tightening the axle a few Nm and it seemed to solve the slight axle play. The bike still rattles and moves in the front; so now I will try the battery tip higher up here, tighten the centerlock ring when I get the right tool in the mail and then take some deep breaths and try to ignore the bushing play in the fork.

Maxijazz

Oct 12, 2020
Alcester

I think I'm also bring a numpty because I'm having some troubles getting the bolt back in.

Must be an easier way.

Unicycle_DG

Sep 26, 2020
Kentucky
Just finished watching Rob's video about 2022 rumors and speculation about what is to come. Can we discuss, a little more in depth, Specialized's cycle of a new design every 3 years? Because nearly two months have already passed since my LBS ordered, and I paid $6,700 in full, a 2021 Full Fat Levo Comp (which Specialized now shows as “delayed” in the United States). By the time I finally get my bike, Specialized might have dropped the Brose motors altogether? I shudder at the thought. If they totally redesign the Levo and drop Brose motor support thus leaving me hanging on maintenance, I might ride this thing off a cliff. And, if I spend anymore money my wife might push me off a cliff. So I’ve really only got one shot at getting this thing right. I’m no mechanic which is why I chose a reputable LBS and the Specialized brand. Have I made a huge mistake? Winter is almost hear and US trails are pretty much closed here until the spring thaw. Should I have waited for the MY22?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles