Whyte e-mtb

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Whyte 180 would be amazing around here i bet. Looks like the US distribotor will ship to canada but thsn theres long distance service.Anyone have any beta on the cube hybrid 160. Ive seen a decent price at a shop relatively close to here. I dont see cube much so wondering how the company is as well. Local shop has trek and they look like a good option. Be nice to support local, especially now

Vfour800

Feb 24, 2020
Brackley Northamptonshire
Thanks Duncan brilliant piece of advice nearly there now just trying to get the best deal on the 500 PowerTube £580 pop to now, have swopped the tort bolts for standard Allen key ones for that purpose. thanks for the advice
Hi Simon,
I don't know if your still thinking of a spare battery but try here as I have bought quite a few things of them know and have been very reliable: Bosch battery Bike-Discount

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Chain ring should be OK at this stage but the longer you run it the more likely you are to need to replace it... (ask me how I know... ?‍♂️)
Best to replace the chain at .5 in future even if it means setting up a monthly chain direct debit with Wiggle.
Glad you’re liking the 150 as it’s at the top of my next bike shortlist.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
SRAM advise against the re-euse of a power link as it has a positive click on first use and this may be lost on subsequent use leading to the possibility of the chain coming apart if it loses tension (think law suits so SRAM puts the onus back on you). IM(H)O the link can be re-used if the positive click occurs. I would use proper chain pliers to install and remove the link. But, why? A PC1110 chain comes with a new one, so use that and keep the used one for trail side repairs. By the way there is a wee arrow on the side plates which is meant to point in the direction of travel of the chain, so backwards if you are installing the chain with the ends hanging under the chainstays (and why would you do it any other way). But the other link has an arrow pointing in the other direction so I worry not.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It takes about 10 minutes to give the drive train a clean? Seems like a false economy to me, the more one part wares out the more it is going to effect the ware on other parts that interconnect, adding up to big bills. Also a smooth running drivetrain is going to be kind to your motor.

I too like an easy solution, and use the Fenwicks kit, dead simple and easy to do

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Some gobshite once suggested using Cif Kitchen Mousse to clean chains.

He was right, it's da bom'!

However, I now use Putolene so my chain never looks shitty like it did using any of the other lubes I tried; Muc Off Wet, Muc Off Dry, Smoove, Squirt, Finishline Wet, Helfrauds (I was completely out and it was all I could get at short notice, OK? )
A hot waxed chain would do two shitty winter rides in FoD slop, which is about 1.75 more than any of the other lubes I tried, and was no bother to rewax; get home, turn on DFF, make cup of tea/open beer, remove chain, rinse under tap to get the mud off, shake dry and dunk in hot wax, wash bike, remove chain from hot wax and hang over DFF to drip dry/cool, make cup of tea/open another beer, attempt to refit chain, swear, make another cup of tea/open another beer while the chain cools, refit chain.
In the current conditions, which is 4 rides a week I've rewaxed once since lockdown and that was only because I washed the bike before taking it to the LBS for some warranty work.

Willsv650

May 15, 2020
Essex
Just wondering if anyone has hit that bottom cable. I managed to do it on the very first ride out. Gutted

IMG_20200515_142304.jpg

Willsv650

May 15, 2020
Essex
View attachment 31661

Yep. I’m on my third gear cable in 1000km ? thinking of whacking a strip of old tyre over it.

The bike is awesome, just needs proper technique to get over rocks (I’m working on it ?)
Hells bells man. In a weird way you have made me feel better that it wasn't just me!! Looks like it takes a beating before failing though? Have you looked at the routing the cable or protecting it? I've also asked Whyte for an explanation but no one is replying because of Covid-19.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
It's not that hard, 30-60 min maybe.

The rubber you can get from Whyte. Mine is just there until I get some Kydex that I will shape and fit as a skidplate to cover the whole BB as it is so low.

I have bought that tool.
Matthew, I had a look at re-routing the gear cable, but was put off by the task of feeding it through the swingarm. How easy was that?

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Hells bells man. In a weird way you have made me feel better that it wasn't just me!! Looks like it takes a beating before failing though? Have you looked at the routing the cable or protecting it? I've also asked Whyte for an explanation but no one is replying because of Covid-19.

Yeah it takes a beating, as soon as it’s wet then the cable will seize pretty fast. I will look at re routing it, frankly I’ll just get LBS to do it.

It’s worth looking at sag really carefully on these bikes. I’m on the limit of preload for the stock spring, will probably lift the bike up a few mm with a firmer spring. Not got round to ordering one yet.

Do I try the “fashionable” mullet set up??? I will borrow a 29er fork and wheel from a mate and give it a bash ?

Willsv650

May 15, 2020
Essex
Yeah it takes a beating, as soon as it’s wet then the cable will seize pretty fast. I will look at re routing it, frankly I’ll just get LBS to do it.

It’s worth looking at sag really carefully on these bikes. I’m on the limit of preload for the stock spring, will probably lift the bike up a few mm with a firmer spring. Not got round to ordering one yet.

Do I try the “fashionable” mullet set up??? I will borrow a 29er fork and wheel from a mate and give it a bash ?
I was a bit hasty to try mine out and didn't set up the suspension proper before riding. Could well of been my downfall. I'll look at the sag again as you say.
I was in touch with a company called rockguardz today and they have a skid plate for the e150 on the way. It doesn't cover the cable though.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Totally agree, its doubly annoying on the Whyte because the put a lot of thought into making such a great riding bike, and then do the routing like someone who has never ridden rocky trails

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
It’s a big flaw that needs sorting. Maybe for MY21?? My other ride is an evil insurgent which I run in xlow. Never have any problems with that bike. (Evil is 334mm vs E180 336mm bb height)

The evil manuals for fun and I run the recommended 30% sag. I guess it’s always poor technique whacking the bb shell on anything, just a shame there is a sacrificial cable on the whyte!

The bb shell on my 180 is starting to look “lived in” ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah the heat shrink isn't that tough though in terms of impacts, you need something that dissipates a hit away form the cables, or at least takes the brunt of the force, and doesn't risk splitting though to the cables.

Willsv650

May 15, 2020
Essex
I tried the corrugated plastic tube, it was a short piece of split tube I had, secured with tie wraps, but lost it in a couple of rides. I then tried a short length of garden hose, which looked promising, but was bright (hozelock) green and yellow. Worked well but looked daft. I keep looking for black hose.

In the meantime I wrap it in multiple layers of black duct tape. It wouldn't offer much protection against a big hit. But acts as a sacrificial layer against lighter scrapes and general wear. You can tell its working by how scruffy it gets. I just top it up now and again. Working adequately for me, until something better comes along.
You haven't looked at the re routing for it? I found the other thread on here where someone has routed the gear cable out with the brake cable but I'm not sure if I have the skills for that.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
With the heatshrink, there’s different types, usually categorised by shrinkage ratio. For that application I’d suggest using the largest 3:1 tube that will shrink down to the cable size as that will give the thickest coverage and then add several layers. Adhesive lined tube will stay in place better too.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Not seen any detail of the routing short of a picture.
I was going to live with it until I either had to replace the cable, or had cause to take the motor out.
I was going to look at options then.
I am a little wary, as if it was that easy, I am sure Whyte would have resolved it.
Agreed. I think the issue is that in rotating the motor upwards at the front the exit holes from the motor casing are now pointing downwards rather than aligning with the chainstay. That means Whyte's only options were to drill alternative holes in the casing (unlikely to make Bosch happy!), route over the top of the motor (potentially tricky for maintenance and might result in poor shifting) or do what they did. Not an easy one to solve.

Last edited:

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Just joined the forum today and that’s it. My mind is now made up 100%. Have a big birthday coming up this weekend and that means a big present even though I have to buy it myself. Have been looking at getting a Whyte E150 RS and just looked at all 20 pages on this thread and my mind is made up. Just need to find one and hopefully get a bit of discount to soften the blow. (y) Or do I wait for the 2021 bikes to come out.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Just buy one already!

It’s unlikely there’ll be any significant changes next year; it’s a brand new model with a brand new motor and brand new battery and who’s to say that next years will actually be better for you? A spec change could mean this years bike is better for example. Or they could go 29er. Who knows? All you know for sure is that the trails won’t get ridden until you get one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles