When do you know you've outgrown your bike

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
how many upgrades are too many and when does a new bike become a better option?
Only YOU can decide.

BTW I have read everything you've written here and I DO interpret a lot of it as you looking for justification for your future purchases. What else are you asking for?

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
3 things come first.
- A loose weight if you can
- Use proper PSI
- Ask around for proper tires for what you do and where you ride.
than
make sure your suspension is properly adjusted.
spend time looking at youtubes videos, learn to climb, etc...
spend i month riding no internet other than learning channel

I did my 3 first seasons on 100 mm HT
now i started playing in some expert trails on 120 mm HT.
Do your classes.

Last edited:

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Only YOU can decide.

BTW I have read everything you've written here and I DO interpret a lot of it as you looking for justification for your future purchases. What else are you asking for?
I will try and be a little clearer in future.

At times I am seeking opinions on gear and when it is appropriate to use it. I listen to all the viewpoints but make my own decisions. Part of that is, without a doubt, weighing the evidence for a purchase but saying I am seeking justification is a little insulting.

You too need to take a little more care about what you write. Forums and emails are very poor at relaying humour and irony but they are extremely good at magnifying sarcasm and arrogance. Lets both try and do better next time.

Al

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
"seeking justification" isn't an insult. Toughen up. It simply means you want to be shown correct or reasonable evidence to validate your choices.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
"seeking justification" isn't an insult. Toughen up. It simply means you want to be shown correct or reasonable evidence to validate your choices.
Yes perhaps I'm being over sensitive. I am however trying to get a feel for how much upgrading is worthwhile and when do you actually get to the point where a new bike is the better option. I think I may have got to that point now and any further upgrades are not really cost effective. You and others are quite right the bottom line is that I would like a new bike but I don't need a new bike.

Al

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I am however trying to get a feel for how much upgrading is worthwhile and when do you actually get to the point where a new bike is the better option.
I have a friend - yup, hard to believe but I do have one. He has a bike (analogue) that the only think original is the frame & even that has been repainted. Could have bought at least 2 new bikes for what his various upgrades have cost him but he has HIS custom bike. He recently bought an ebike and before riding it had replaced the brakes and suspension. Is now looking to replace the wheels after only a few months.

Me - I just buy a new one and move on.

In other words - To each his own.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I am however trying to get a feel for how much upgrading is worthwhile and when do you actually get to the point where a new bike is the better option. I think I may have got to that point now and any further upgrades are not really cost effective.

As Rusty said, to each his own.

We're all different and different things make us feel good. Presumably you ride your bike because you feel good afterwards, you feel good when you're riding it, you look forward to riding it - because you know you'll feel good and have a buzz when you're riding.

Some people won't change a thing on their bikes, they're not bothered. Some people will change a few things because they think it will make it better or make them feel good about it. Some people will change lots to make it special, make it their own - give them that happy feeling inside. Some people fall off a lot and just have to change things ..

For some the bike is just something ridden, for others it's more than that.

It sounds like you're progressing with your riding and have made upgrades to your bike as and when you've felt these are appropriate and beneficial. You're now not sure when that crossover point is between upgrades and new bike. In reality, your bike is probably fine for what you want it for riding wise. But it doesn't mean it's fine in your head, which is where you need to be happy about it.

Again, for everyone it's different and everyones circumstances are different. Most of us don't NEED a new bike, but we still justify it to ourselves and most of the time when we get a new bike - we're happy bunnies !

You only live once, if you're in a position where you can buy a new bike and it will make you happy, maybe you should go down that route. If you don't think you'll be grinning for weeks, then upgrades and courses might be the way to go.. Or get the full fix, buy a new bike, change the forks or brakes and go on a course for a day - tell yourself everythings perfect and couldn't be better and go enjoy your riding.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
There's nothing wrong with wanting a bike with better kit than the Suntour XCR 34 and Tektro M275. You don't have to ride very hard before that kit would hold you back.

As you've already spent £$€ on a dropper and tyres, it could make sense to continue upgrading. Unless you don't like the motor and such. Search for a 2nd hand 130-150mm fork, people take forks like the Yari off their bikes and sell them without even using them. Brakes I would buy new, they're not that expensive.

But, the most expensive thing is upgrading an old bike that you really don't like, only to sell it afterwards and buy a new one. You might just find a discounted 2019 model these days.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles