When do you don your full face helmet?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've never owned a full face helmet. Over the last 25 years I've ridden in the Sierra Nevada (many times), Coed y Brenin (many times), Whistler, Forest of Dean Cannock Chase, Dalby, Grizedale etc etc. I see guys on eMTBs with the full Fox Moto-X gear and full face helmets riding down Southend Seafront and to be frank they just look ridiculous.
Cool story bro.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So other way around: What is the advantage to not to wear full face helmet?
You don't get an oval mid face tan.

Drinking beer is generally easier.

Kissing is possible .. Kissing rocks, kissing trees, kissing roots.

Depending on the helmet, it's slightly cooler when it's really hot.

It's easier to see your whole face and connect with your audience if you're making content.

Sheep are more approachable.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
You don't get an oval mid face tan.

Drinking beer is generally easier.

Kissing is possible .. Kissing rocks, kissing trees, kissing roots.

Depending on the helmet, it's slightly cooler when it's really hot.

It's easier to see your whole face and connect with your audience if you're making content.

Sheep are more approachable.
You little ripper Zimmerframe. It is also possible to get 10/10 when you face plant without a FF with chin guard.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I've never owned a full face helmet. Over the last 25 years I've ridden in the Sierra Nevada (many times), Coed y Brenin (many times), Whistler, Forest of Dean Cannock Chase, Dalby, Grizedale etc etc. I see guys on eMTBs with the full Fox Moto-X gear and full face helmets riding down Southend Seafront and to be frank they just look ridiculous.
Good for you. I hope you feel the same way when you eventually have a bad fall, whether its your fault or not. I hope for your sake that it never happens, but please don't ridicule riders who take safety precautions in case they do have an 'off'.

Bobj183

Feb 12, 2021
Essex

You get a much better feel for what's going on around you, much better spatial awareness imho. I said earlier that I'd never owned a full face; that's not quite true. I used to wear one riding a motorbike on the road but always wore an open face when Moto-X racing.

Bobj183

Feb 12, 2021
Essex
Good for you. I hope you feel the same way when you eventually have a bad fall, whether its your fault or not. I hope for your sake that it never happens, but please don't ridicule riders who take safety precautions in case they do have an 'off'.

So do you think that in 25 years of riding off road that I've never had a bad off? A full face wouldn't have protected my collar bone or my femur. If you think that wearing full DH kit on Southend sea front doesn't look ridiculous fair enough.....each to his own. :D I wear body armour when it's called for, all I'm saying is right gear right place.

Jaspy

Jun 9, 2021
Bea Sea Canada
FF full time, after head planting off n on over the years and destroying my sunglasses into my face and almost taking out my teeth far too many times I don’t ride with out it. I don’t even realize I have a ff on until I try to have a drink and my bottle hits my chin guard. Buy a high quality lid and you won’t look back. Haha, cheers!

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
There is nothing wrong with wearing a full face helmet all the time, regardless of skill level and trail difficulty. Brain bleeds suck, 100% brain function is awesome.

This is an actor ?, safeties are a great way to not shoot yourself.

Last edited:

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
If i'm just pootling around local bridleways + trails near home i'll run a normal open style helmet.

If i'm anywhere remotely technical i'll wear the full face. The jaw+chin section can be detached but i don't really see the point in that so i never use it that way. The other reason for wearing the full face is that it is the helmet with the go pro mounts. :cool:

MartinD.

Apr 4, 2021
Halifax, UK

This is very much my view. I have a Bell Air R convertible and have never taken the chin section off. Yes, I might look daft along the canal path but on typical route I usually see 40mph+ and don’t fancy using my chin to slow down. Head injuries, even slow-speed stuff can be pretty serious.

I ride motorbikes, too, including fast stuff and scramble/enduro and always wear a full face. I never feel “disconnected” as some claim, nor do I overheat badly. Its just become habit, but I also choose to wear proper armour and gloves so maybe I’m a pussy.

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
For me -
The higher the risk, the higher the level of protection

DH certified full face on uplift days , BP Wales , Antur , Alps etc
Open face on bimbles, family trails with Mrs R etc
Finding I use a full face Enduro type helmet a lot more these days
Currently a Met Parachute
I ride a lot in the Forest of Dean where the trails range from easy family trails to off piste Techy Gnar and everything in between
Plenty of places to hurt myself especially as my skillset is not what it was
I usually end up doing some sort of loop to get to the interesting stuff , when I'm there I always feel I made the right choice wearing the Met
To get there I often have to link it up on easy family trails , although I keep this to the minimum, personal choice and years of trail scouting help with this
Even so , I really couldn't give a toss what I look like to all the families pottering about , or to other riders for that matter .
My safety is far more important
Same applies to pads , I always wear elbow and knee /shin pads as well as impact shorts
I find the softer D30 type more comfortable for this type of riding
Did 5 days in North Wales recently , Coed y Brenin, Machynlleth etc
4 were trail centre days and this combo was perfect even though there was plenty of pedalling on very hot days
Did a day uplifting at Antur Stiniog , loads of sharp loose rocks and flint
Swapped my lid for a DH FF
Knee/shin & Elbows for hard shell type, added D30 type back , shoulder and chest protector and felt much more confident letting the brakes go and tackling Gnarlier trails , Bossing it like 'Back in the Day' ? I wish
Same applies to what I now call my Enduro set up which I use on most rides , Met Parachute (well vented full face ) soft elbow , knee/shin pads and impact shorts
If I feel well protected then I get a little more confident, push myself a bit harder and have more of a blast
This is purely my opinion but even so , I don't let others dictate to me what is right / wrong / fashionable or on trend ? I wear what works for me, to be as safe as possible and frankly , everyone else can do one ?

Last edited:

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
FF full time, after head planting off n on over the years and destroying my sunglasses into my face and almost taking out my teeth far too many times I don’t ride with out it. I don’t even realize I have a ff on until I try to have a drink and my bottle hits my chin guard. Buy a high quality lid and you won’t look back. Haha, cheers!
A sensible man
For me -
The higher the risk, the higher the level of protection

DH certified full face on uplift days , BP Wales , Antur , Alps etc
Open face on bimbles, family trails with Mrs R etc
Finding I use a full face Enduro type helmet a lot more these days
Currently a Met Parachute
I ride a lot in the Forest of Dean where the trails range from easy family trails to off piste Techy Gnar and everything in between
Plenty of places to hurt myself especially as my skillset is not what it was
I usually end up doing some sort of loop to get to the interesting stuff , when I'm there I always feel I made the right choice wearing the Met
To get there I often have to link it up on easy family trails , although I keep this to the minimum, personal choice and years of trail scouting help with this
Even so , I really couldn't give a toss what I look like to all the families pottering about , or to other riders for that matter .
My safety is far more important
Same applies to pads , I always wear elbow and knee /shin pads as well as impact shorts
I find the softer D30 type more comfortable for this type of riding
Did 5 days in North Wales recently , Coed y Brenin, Machynlleth etc
4 were trail centre days and this combo was perfect even though there was plenty of pedalling on very hot days
Did a day uplifting at Antur Stiniog , loads of sharp loose rocks and flint
Swapped my lid for a DH FF
Knee/shin & Elbows for hard shell type, added D30 type back , shoulder and chest protector and felt much more confident letting the brakes go and tackling Gnarlier trails , Bossing it like 'Back in the Day' ? I wish
Same applies to what I now call my Enduro set up which I use on most rides , Met Parachute (well vented full face ) soft elbow , knee/shin pads and impact shorts
If I feel well protected then I get a little more confident, push myself a bit harder and have more of a blast
This is purely my opinion but even so , I don't let others dictate to me what is right / wrong / fashionable or on trend ? I wear what works for me, to be as safe as possible and everyone else can do one ?
Aggghhhhh. Another sensible rider

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver

People who ride Whistler without a full face helmet are usually the ones who are getting in the way of people who actually RIDE Whistler. I find it sad when people feel the need to "man up" and ride around in wife beaters, without at least knees or elbow pads, especially when they come back the next day, covered in scrapes and bandages. Wear what ever gives you the confidence to push yourself to improve.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
I have worn FF for about 4 years (although not in my avatar piccy where I forgot my helmet and borrowed one!) ; it suddenly dawned on me that I'm getting old and less able.... I value my teeth and I couldn't take any more time being injured.... after broken collar bone, finger incidents etc
I personally feel safer and less vulnerable to face damage
I am completely used to it and the only challenge is drinking from a bottle.... so not a problem in the scheme of things

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I have worn FF for about 4 years (although not in my avatar piccy where I forgot my helmet and borrowed one!) ; it suddenly dawned on me that I'm getting old and less able.... I value my teeth and I couldn't take any more time being injured.... after broken collar bone, finger incidents etc
I personally feel safer and less vulnerable to face damage
I am completely used to it and the only challenge is drinking from a bottle.... so not a problem in the scheme of things
Coffee is definitely off the menu with a FF, but drinking a cold NZ stubby through the small gap in the middle of the chin guard is just heaven on a hot day. Only one mind you, and purely for rehydration purposes.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
To be clear I have stated what my parameters are for wearing FF and to be doubly clear my decision is NOT influenced by what others think at least not in any meaningful, practical way. Accordingly I'm not really looking for advice but rather it's academic interest in why others decide to wear what they wear.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
When I hop on a modern MX bike and ride a SX or modern MX track, but on a vintage bike I wear an open face helmet mostly.
On my eMTB my Bell Sixxer is enough for me. Don't wear shin, knee or elbow guards either as they just bug the hell out of me.

To be fair - when I ran my 29r fully rigid Karate Monkey down the Rotorua National DH track 10 or so years ago I did wear my MX full-face and shoulder pads - but that was only because I expected a crash or two.

I find the more protective gear I wear, the more likely I am liable to take a chance and do something I would not otherwise do, which usually leads to injuries.

Of course, I am a 63 year old with the mind of a 13 year old that always says ..... 'You can dooo iittt'.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
To be clear I have stated what my parameters are for wearing FF and to be doubly clear my decision is NOT influenced by what others think at least not in any meaningful, practical way. Accordingly I'm not really looking for advice but rather it's academic interest in why others decide to wear what they wear.

Yeh this thread did go off message very quickly!

I own a Bell Super DH convertible helmet but only recently felt that I was riding fast/competently enough to warrant wearing it in full face mode. I've developed the habit of riding Blue, Red and single dot routes in half face and putting the chin guard on when I go onto the two dot downhills. Is this a logical approach? What do you do?

Sounds like a logical approach, for me its really what you feel comfortable doing; maybe use the chin guard more while you're getting used to the trails. The Super DH is a really good lid, you may find yourself using it in the full face mode more and more as you go faster down the trails you mention.

I used to use a convertible lid but ended up switching to a permanent full face design (TLD Stage) as I found I was pushing myself to my skill limits more and more, plus the Stage lid doesn't really get too hot when climbing. The Super DH is very similar to my knowledge.

skipin7ro

Jun 22, 2020
SWCO
I just got back from the ER. I got 6 stitches in my lip and have 3 teeth knocked-out/chipped and not a mark on my helmet. My Bell 3R was sitting at home. I even thought about wearing it before riding but was so happy to be getting out that I just grabbed my regular helmet. The whole reason for buying the Bell 3R was to avoid dental work. This will be a costly lesson learned.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
I just got back from the ER. I got 6 stitches in my lip and have 3 teeth knocked-out/chipped and not a mark on my helmet. My Bell 3R was sitting at home. I even thought about wearing it before riding but was so happy to be getting out that I just grabbed my regular helmet. The whole reason for buying the Bell 3R was to avoid dental work. This will be a costly lesson learned.
Sorry to hear your story; this is the exact reason why I wear a FF. It's sods law that the time you don't wear one you fall off and face plant.
Hope the dentist works wonders for you

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
So do you think that in 25 years of riding off road that I've never had a bad off? A full face wouldn't have protected my collar bone or my femur. If you think that wearing full DH kit on Southend sea front doesn't look ridiculous fair enough.....each to his own. :D I wear body armour when it's called for, all I'm saying is right gear right place.

Dude. Buying larger, more complex helmets is good for the economy. Do your part. That guy eating ice cream with a FF on the beach is employing your children or their friends. What are you doing? Do you even help print the unemployment forms for the bloke you are putting out of work?

1628586542836.png

skipin7ro

Jun 22, 2020
SWCO
Sorry to hear your story; this is the exact reason why I wear a FF. It's sods law that the time you don't wear one you fall off and face plant.
Hope the dentist works wonders for you

Thanks, it was a major lesson learned for a somewhat minor injury (stitches and dental visit are manageable and no extended down-time). I do wonder how I would feel today if I had been wearing the Bell with the chinguard. I think I would just have a sore neck if anything.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
It's knowing when to stop armouring up and reaching the right compromise. I was wearing FF, elbow guards and knee guards but, wouldn't you know it, I fell on a trail that I've done several times before and managed to crack a rib. So now I'm looking at armoured vests. I don't think I could wear the full upper body pro but a vest? maybe.

Al

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It's knowing when to stop armouring up and reaching the right compromise. I was wearing FF, elbow guards and knee guards but, wouldn't you know it, I fell on a trail that I've done several times before and managed to crack a rib. So now I'm looking at armoured vests. I don't think I could wear the full upper body pro but a vest? maybe.

Al
All my rib injuries have been due to landing on my side with my elbow hard in against my side. My elbow guards were then pressed in and sprained the ribs. It sounds like I'm blaming my elbow guards, I'm not. Just think how bad it would have been without them! :unsure:

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
"ALL your rib injuries??? Do you wear a vest? I'm considering it. Many years ago I broke 2 ribs, amongst other things, in a climbing accident. I wouldn't wish it on anybody but at the moment I'm only suffering mild discomfort. I'm hoping it doesn't stiffen up overnight.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles