When do you don your full face helmet?

wagonrd

Dec 22, 2020
Roseville, CA
I own a Bell Super DH convertible helmet but only recently felt that I was riding fast/competently enough to warrant wearing it in full face mode. I've developed the habit of riding Blue, Red and single dot routes in half face and putting the chin guard on when I go onto the two dot downhills. Is this a logical approach? What do you do?

Al
You tube has several videos of supermen doing amazing things on a mountain bike, most of these riders are "minimalist" in their protective gear, but all seem to wear full face helments. It's just a fact that a "face plant" amoung the tree roots or in a rock garden will do serious damage if your helment lacks chin protection. Anyone who does singletrack wih the philosophy that he is too shit hot to crash head first is.......well!!!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
"ALL your rib injuries??? Do you wear a vest? I'm considering it. Many years ago I broke 2 ribs, amongst other things, in a climbing accident. I wouldn't wish it on anybody but at the moment I'm only suffering mild discomfort. I'm hoping it doesn't stiffen up overnight.
Steve always wears a vest ... it only helps protect him from the ladies though ..

steve.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's knowing when to stop armouring up and reaching the right compromise. I was wearing FF, elbow guards and knee guards but, wouldn't you know it, I fell on a trail that I've done several times before and managed to crack a rib. So now I'm looking at armoured vests. I don't think I could wear the full upper body pro but a vest? maybe.

Al
I just went on a ride and didn't wear my FF. That's really rare but my head said it was an exploratory ride so I wouldn't be going for Adrenalin. As Gary said. You just have to decide based on what YOU ARE DOING but never decide on WHAT YOU THINK PEOPLE WILL THINK.

For ribs, wearing armour WILL NOT ! (yes, I'm shouting :) ) guarantee you won't break your ribs. The way falls happen and the way ribs branch out means they can break unless you wear a full exo-skeleton - which no one does - and even then you could in theory still break them. Armour doesn't stop injuries, it reduces them.

For ribs, I've broken mine 4 times now in just over 2 years. 3 on the bike and one young horse kicking me six meters in the back. That was the worst by far. Back rib breaks are horrible. Twice on the bike were unarmoured. Once armoured. @High Rock Ruti has also broken ribs even when heavily armoured, I'm sure there are many more.

There's quite a good body armour thread and lots of other info in the reviews area. Body armour is all a compromise. There is no perfect armour. It's about picking something which works for you which you're more likely to wear than not wear. You could have the best armour in the world, but if you hardly wear it because it's hot, uncomfortable, restrictive, difficult to put on/take off, you feel like robocop - then it's pointless having it. Better to have a lesser armour you wear more frequently than an amazing armour which sits in the wardrobe.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I just went on a ride and didn't wear my FF. That's really rare but my head said it was an exploratory ride so I wouldn't be going for Adrenalin. As Gary said. You just have to decide based on what YOU ARE DOING but never decide on WHAT YOU THINK PEOPLE WILL THINK.

For ribs, wearing armour WILL NOT ! (yes, I'm shouting :) ) guarantee you won't break your ribs. The way falls happen and the way ribs branch out means they can break unless you wear a full exo-skeleton - which no one does - and even then you could in theory still break them. Armour doesn't stop injuries, it reduces them.

For ribs, I've broken mine 4 times now in just over 2 years. 3 on the bike and one young horse kicking me six meters in the back. That was the worst by far. Back rib breaks are horrible. Twice on the bike were unarmoured. Once armoured. @High Rock Ruti has also broken ribs even when heavily armoured, I'm sure there are many more.

There's quite a good body armour thread and lots of other info in the reviews area. Body armour is all a compromise. There is no perfect armour. It's about picking something which works for you which you're more likely to wear than not wear. You could have the best armour in the world, but if you hardly wear it because it's hot, uncomfortable, restrictive, difficult to put on/take off, you feel like robocop - then it's pointless having it. Better to have a lesser armour you wear more frequently than an amazing armour which sits in the wardrobe.

High Rock Ruti

Broke rib last week hitting the handlebars on my way over. I have a bad habit of not letting go of the grips and pulling the bike up and over, and landing on top of me? The crash was at 13 mph pretty fast hit an unseen six inch log panic grabbed the brakes causing the bike to flip over. I've been resting mostly, five days out and the ribs is really feeling better, so it must be time to go out to soon and aggravate the injury. I was not wearing upper armor and I think it would have prevented the break...that being said as "Zimm" has said doing a "superman" landing flat on my chest broke ribs with the armor on. The forces are just too great to prevent the impact from transferring right on through the armor.

Warm Regards

Ruti

PS Specialized has authorized a new motor for 2022 Levo Pro, bearingman has convinced me that it's likely the sprague clutch not a belt failure, one symptom is that the bike can't be rolled backwards

Clue

Aug 10, 2021
Norway, Oslo
I bought a FF a month ago and have worn it one every ride since. I know myself well enough that even if I plan a chill, easy ride I end up trying a few cruxes along the way just because , so the potential for a face2face with rocks&roots are ever present. I have a Fox Proframe and I don't find it to hot even when pedalling hard uphill. My reasoning for waring FF is that I don't feel any of the downsides others have mentioned like overheating and less perifacial vision. I also wear knee- and elbow pads on every ride for the same reason.
My Bike.png

Last edited:

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
My crashes tend to happen when I'm going too slow rather than too fast i.e. I spot a line then either hesitate or change my mind. Next thing I know I'm off the bike. Happened the other day and I hurt my ribs so now I'm even considering an armoured vest.:)

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My crashes tend to happen when I'm going too slow rather than too fast i.e. I spot a line then either hesitate or change my mind. Next thing I know I'm off the bike. Happened the other day and I hurt my ribs so now I'm even considering an armoured vest.:)
Yep as you get older you naturally think slow is safer but you need the speed to get over some technical stuff. I did ribs in January on a rock I go over every week. Slowed and stalled then flop on ribs. It was heavy landing if it had been my head serious I think. Solo again.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
Yep as you get older you naturally think slow is safer but you need the speed to get over some technical stuff. I did ribs in January on a rock I go over every week. Slowed and stalled then flop on ribs. It was heavy landing if it had been my head serious I think. Solo again.

Yep. Most of my crashes happen at 0 speed. The bike gets hang on something and I tumble down before being able to unclip.

I did test my new FF helmet on it's 3rd ride. On an uphill rock face, I looped the bike and landed on my back and the back of my head hit the ground and produced a sound so loud that my ears were ringing. So, now I am saving money and looking for a new helmet. No apparent damage to the helmet, but I just cannot trust the helmet after such a hit.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Yep. Most of my crashes happen at 0 speed. The bike gets hang on something and I tumble down before being able to unclip.

I did test my new FF helmet on it's 3rd ride. On an uphill rock face, I looped the bike and landed on my back and the back of my head hit the ground and produced a sound so loud that my ears were ringing. So, now I am saving money and looking for a new helmet. No apparent damage to the helmet, but I just cannot trust the helmet after such a hit.
My wife just saying to me an hour ago when is the hillwalking, mountain biking, seakyaking, skiing going to stop . I said 70 not long I'm 65 now. She's right though most of my adventures are solo.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
My wife just saying to me an hour ago when is the hillwalking, mountain biking, seakyaking, skiing going to stop . I said 70 not long I'm 65 now. She's right though most of my adventures are solo.
Don't count on that. I'm 73 and over the last couple of years I've cut back on the climbing and skiing (after 55 years) and increased the mountain biking. I have more minor mishaps mountain biking than I ever did climbing or skiing. The thing with climbing is that the consequences can be more severe.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Don't count on that. I'm 73 and over the last couple of years I've cut back on the climbing and skiing (after 55 years) and increased the mountain biking. I have more minor mishaps mountain biking than I ever did climbing or skiing. The thing with climbing is that the consequences can be more severe.
Haha yes ive fell off this Ebike more in the last 2 years than since I started in 87. Yes lost a few friends climbing I only seconded I never lead. Long time since I climbed though. Slow down but can't see me stopping.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I agree. I am sure in my case , when I slow down to enjoy the view or whatever, my concentration lapses. Classic example was on top of the mountain bike park, on the widest, flatest, smoothest part of the track, and I slowed to admire the magnificent view. Took my eye of the track for a second or two, looked back and I was off the edge of the track. Before I could turn back, I hit a fist sized rock which shot me off to the right. Down the steep long grassy slopTfgI

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
My apologies - I'm not the greatest typist in the world. I got distracted & forgot to finish off my comment to Joeblow:
So I get turned down the steep grassy slope by the rock.. Braking uncontrollable, and I bail off to the right, ending up face-planting head first down the slippery slope. Come to stop some twenty metres from where I hit the ground. A bit stunned, nose split open by the visor on my helmet. I'm on blood thinners for my coronary artery disease, so I look worse than what I am. Blood over glasses, face and hi-vis jacket. Before I can struggle back up the steep slope with my e-mtb, a rider appears on the track above and asks if I am okay. Then he asks, " How did you manage to come off here". I was a bit embarrassed as the young fellow had been a National age-group DH Champion.
I think the worst part was I get down to the Car Park and go to ring my wife to tell her I am fine, but I look worse than what I am, and find my cellphone must have fallen out of my back pocket in the fall. So I have to bike back up the MTB Park to the scene of my 'off' and recover my cellphone.
I was 73 at the time and still have to tell myself if I want to admire the view, pull off to the side of the track and stop!!!!!!!!

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
I wear my full face all the time(it's only a Bell Super3R) I am not one who gets hot and sweaty often (even when I used to ride non E-MTBs) so it just seems a no brainer, I think it fits my head better with the chin bar on and I don't have to ratchet the back strap up to stop it moving on my head. to be honest since I have got the e bike I find myself wearing more and more clothing on rides anyway, you just don't get as hot. so the full face is staying, I wouldn't dare take it off.
I'm aware this is an international forum and about 75% of you will live in hotter climates than the lake district, England so I get that it may be a bit of a trade off between being hot and being safe.
but am I detecting a bit of "I wouldn't want to wear a full face just in case someone might think I was taking it too seriously or trying too hard?"
if thats the case, stop worrying about what other people think, wear what you want

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My apologies - I'm not the greatest typist in the world. I got distracted & forgot to finish off my comment to Joeblow:
So I get turned down the steep grassy slope by the rock.. Braking uncontrollable, and I bail off to the right, ending up face-planting head first down the slippery slope. Come to stop some twenty metres from where I hit the ground. A bit stunned, nose split open by the visor on my helmet. I'm on blood thinners for my coronary artery disease, so I look worse than what I am. Blood over glasses, face and hi-vis jacket. Before I can struggle back up the steep slope with my e-mtb, a rider appears on the track above and asks if I am okay. Then he asks, " How did you manage to come off here". I was a bit embarrassed as the young fellow had been a National age-group DH Champion.
I think the worst part was I get down to the Car Park and go to ring my wife to tell her I am fine, but I look worse than what I am, and find my cellphone must have fallen out of my back pocket in the fall. So I have to bike back up the MTB Park to the scene of my 'off' and recover my cellphone.
I was 73 at the time and still have to tell myself if I want to admire the view, pull off to the side of the track and stop!!!!!!!!
Do they call you lucky jim

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand

You were a lucky boy! That's one reason why I wear a small backpack with plenty of bubble wrap, crunched up raincoat, first aid kit etc. etc. At least twice it has saved me from possible serious back injury. An 80 year old riding friend wears the same softish back pack similar to mine including a personal locater beacon. His front wheel slid out from under him on a tight muddy corner, dumping him over into a rocky creek bed some 3-4 metres below the track. The following rider ( a doctor ) said if he hadn't been wearing his backpack which took a lot of the impact, he would have received serious back injuries. As it was, he suffered two cracked ribs, and two cracked vertabrae. I don't care who thinks I look stupid, FF helmet, safety goggles, backpack, knee and elbow protection on every ride.
My back pack is a Kathmandu 10 litre with ( most importantly ) a chest and waist quick release buckles.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles