Full Face Helmet drill down thoughts

Mister pearson

Oct 11, 2022
Sacramento
I got a little religion on a fall recently and being over 60 now it seems I don't heal as well or quickly as I used to. I'm looking for a convertible FF or a regular FF I will wear all the time. Will be on my Giant reign ebike about half time and my Giant Trance acoustic about half the time.

I live in Northern California and am mostly a trail rider, very occasional park rider but don't do any real big jumps/gaps etc. I may try an enduro but that's just a possibility. So, I'm doing the full face investigation thing currently. I've read the necessary reviews, and educated myself but thought I'd see if there is any real world experience out there with the two I've come down to. I've purchased a few am in the process of trying to find the best (for me) and would ask for any opinions of my process here.

1. Giro Switchblade is too heavy and not ventilated well enough. OUT
2. Bell Super DH too heavy and not ventilated well enough. OUT
3. Fox Proframe didn't fit me well. OUT
4. Leatt Enduro 4.0 too heavy. OUT
5. Bell Super Air R. Fits REALLY WELL, very light, very well ventilated. One of the two I'm currently considering. Only downside is the not DH certified thing. Which I'm really not sure I need, but quite unsure.
6. Troy Lee Designs Stage. FITS ALMOST AS WELL AS BELL SUPER AIR R. Just not quite, feels a touch heavier and possibly not quite as well ventilated but it's darn close. This one has the DH certification.

So, honestly I'm down to the TLD Stage and the Bell Super Air R. I'm only hesitant about the Bell at this point because of the non DH rating and some reviews that indicate " doesn't inspire confidence" or "chin guard flexes and unsure if it would hold up" and other similar quite subjective opinions. Similarly with the TLD I'm slightly hesitant because the fit is ever so slightly not quite as good as the Bell and it's not quite as light or ventilated.

Anyone have some opinions on these two finalists? Real world experience with heat, weight, or if the DH rating is really necessary for a 60 year old moderately aggressive rider?

Thanks -

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Anyone have some opinions on these two finalists? Real world experience with heat, weight, or if the DH rating is really necessary for a 60 year old moderately aggressive rider?

I can provide a little real world experience with the Troy Lee Stage. We're alike in that I'm also 60 and have concluded that there's no good reason to NOT wear full face.

A few months ago I was shredding a trail at a speed that was approaching the limit of my skill level. The trail was super sharp volcanic rock. There was a six foot drop, and my intended plan was not as good in real-life as it was in my mind. I launched over by bike, about twelve feet through the air, and headfirst into a giant lava boulder. Then the face of the helmet scraped across the razor sharp stone until I came to a stop.

Aside from some cuts and scrapes on my chest and forearms, I felt surprisingly good. A couple days later I was at Troy Lee, and they hooked me up with a new helmet at a substantial discount.

The Stage certainly saved me from serious injury, and Troy Lee hooked me up with a replacement when they didn't have to. My experience has been overwhelmingly good.

I haven't experienced problems with a lack of ventilation. In fact, the Stage might ventilate better than my half-shell helmet. With the half shell, on cold and humid mornings, I sometimes get fogging on my glasses. While wearing the Stage, I do not get fogging. The only explanation is that the front of the helmet directs airflow onto my face.

The Stage fits perfectly for me right out of the box. It comes with an assortment of pads that you can swap out. I tried the others, but the medium ones work best for me.

Mister pearson

Oct 11, 2022
Sacramento
I can provide a little real world experience with the Troy Lee Stage. We're alike in that I'm also 60 and have concluded that there's no good reason to NOT wear full face.

A few months ago I was shredding a trail at a speed that was approaching the limit of my skill level. The trail was super sharp volcanic rock. There was a six foot drop, and my intended plan was not as good in real-life as it was in my mind. I launched over by bike, about twelve feet through the air, and headfirst into a giant lava boulder. Then the face of the helmet scraped across the razor sharp stone until I came to a stop.

Aside from some cuts and scrapes on my chest and forearms, I felt surprisingly good. A couple days later I was at Troy Lee, and they hooked me up with a new helmet at a substantial discount.

The Stage certainly saved me from serious injury, and Troy Lee hooked me up with a replacement when they didn't have to. My experience has been overwhelmingly good.

I haven't experienced problems with a lack of ventilation. In fact, the Stage might ventilate better than my half-shell helmet. With the half shell, on cold and humid mornings, I sometimes get fogging on my glasses. While wearing the Stage, I do not get fogging. The only explanation is that the front of the helmet directs airflow onto my face.

The Stage fits perfectly for me right out of the box. It comes with an assortment of pads that you can swap out. I tried the others, but the medium ones work best for me.
Fantastic information, thank you. It fits me really well, too.

esselite

Jan 23, 2023
Poland
There are also uvex jeckyl hide and their latest revolt.
Revolt has ears protected even After face protector removal, but this must imact ventilation somehow.
Never used These two. I ride in Leatt enduro 4.0, as I found it best for me and it was in nice colors

Jan 22, 2021
BC, Canada
I am approaching 50 and am not interested in trying to recover from an injury. I ride an IXS Trigger FF almost full time and have no issues with over heating or airflow (and I am a sweaty one). Now, I am in the BC so it isn't 30deg very often but I prefer the knowledge that I might keep my teeth in my mouth.

Armor11

Dec 26, 2022
BC, Canada
I am approaching 50 and am not interested in trying to recover from an injury. I ride an IXS Trigger FF almost full time and have no issues with over heating or airflow (and I am a sweaty one). Now, I am in the BC so it isn't 30deg very often but I prefer the knowledge that I might keep my teeth in my mouth.
Good to hear this about the IXS Trigger FF as this is one of the FF helmets I am looking at. BTW I am a fellow BC'er living in the south Okanagan so 30+ degrees is a common temp here in summer. The shoulder seasons are amazing though!!

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
I have a Bell Super Air R. I ride with it in FF configuration 99% of the time. Vents very well and I forget its a FF once on. Fortunately I haven't tested its capability.

I ride mostly black's at trail centres, with a mixture of natural trails and the occasional DH bike park.

I may also get a DH rated FF at some point if I do more bike park and DH type days.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Take a look at the Met Parachute. Designed for Enduro racing, it is light and well-ventilated. You can get it with or without MIPS. It's a very good-looking FF helmet.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I use the Bell Super Air R and always use it as a FF and also forget it has chin bar when wearing, it is very well vented.

I actually want to change to a FF without a removeable chin bar (cause I never take the chin bar off). I like the FOX Proframe RS and also the new Specialized Gambit.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
After a couple of 'interesting' crashes including a face plant which luckily didn't break my jaw I now have a Dainese Linea 01 full face helmet. White so that don't bake my head in summer, MIPS, fits great, great ventilation, Fidlock fastening. It is very light, hate heavy helmets. My other helmet for when I'm not doing stupid stuff is a Giro Manifest, also white.

Last edited:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I ride pretty much in my Seven IDP project 23 full face whenever I use the EEb.
I don't get overly hot and its comfortable for all-day epics. I had a Leatt, great helmet but trying to carry the detachable chin bar was a pain as it wasn't looped and I don't ride with a bag.
The Parachute before that was also very good and airy.
Bell's don't fit my noggin and the fox's I've tried aren't comfortable for me.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Check out the Spesh Gambit, I love mine. It’s all carbon so it’s fairly light, breathes well and is compatible with ANGI if you use that. Certain colours are on sale at most places right now, I picked mine up for half off of retail price.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I use Bell Super DH Spherical in Fasthouse colour.
I have used two former Bell FF helmets and many non-FF helmets before that.

It's extremely well ventilated and light....comfort is excellent and the strap is quite intelligent.
I use it as FF all the time, and had some semi-hard crashes and no damage.
I dont see or mind the chinbar at all.

Totally recommended.

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
Well I will speak to one of the models you ruled out, Giro Switchblade for me.

Trying on or wearing them I never once said oh wow that's heavy to any helmet. To be fair though I have 30 years on motorcycles wearing DOT rated helmets and 20 years military wearing helmets with all sorts of NVG's and such so maybe I simply am numb to heavy headgear.

My reason for the Switchblade was its DH rated and I thought that would be the only time I wore it. Turns out I just prefer full face and goggles over the traditional style helmets.

I only wear my half shell (traditional style? not sure the term) when I'm riding very familiar and tame trails. Otherwise I wear the Switchblade and my Leatt brace.

FWIW I feel the two go hand in hand. If I am worried about hitting my head hard I'm just as worried about a neck/spine injury. I'm 48 with the MRI of an 80 year old according to my ortho surgeon. Whatever you decide I think you should consider a brace. The nice advantage of the convertible style helmets is unlike a half shell the convertibles still work with a brace even with chin bar removed. And speaking of neck/spine injury prevention...a hydro pack with back protection or a dedicated under shirt spine protector is also important.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I've ridden full face only for around 5 years, first with a Proframe and then two TLD stages. Its very rare for me to wear an open face lid now, maybe 1 ride/year on average.

My first Stage lasted about 6 months, until I popped the front wheel off the top of a berm on a hard pack bike park trail at about 20mph and landed like a dart down the trail on my shoulder, chin and left hand. My first words to the next rider was 'is my face bleeding?'

73273FC4-856C-4123-A528-09CCCA6A433A.jpeg

EE25548C-3EEB-4C13-A53D-0BD54AF8F905.jpeg

No, it turned out my face wasn't bleeding, just my arms and hands. I am very pleased with the protection offered by the stage, the chin guard deformed and absorbed some of the impact without snapping, and I had no concussion (but maybe I wouldn't have had a concussion from that crash anyway, you never know how that plays out).

The stage is also lightweight and comfortable, I wear it for XC, I wear it for hot days in the alps because it breaths better than my d3. 100% would recommend...but buy the helmet that fits.

Last edited:

eMTB XL

Jan 14, 2021
USA
I got a little religion on a fall recently and being over 60 now it seems I don't heal as well or quickly as I used to. I'm looking for a convertible FF or a regular FF I will wear all the time. Will be on my Giant reign ebike about half time and my Giant Trance acoustic about half the time.

I live in Northern California and am mostly a trail rider, very occasional park rider but don't do any real big jumps/gaps etc. I may try an enduro but that's just a possibility. So, I'm doing the full face investigation thing currently. I've read the necessary reviews, and educated myself but thought I'd see if there is any real world experience out there with the two I've come down to. I've purchased a few am in the process of trying to find the best (for me) and would ask for any opinions of my process here.

5. Bell Super Air R. Fits REALLY WELL, very light, very well ventilated. One of the two I'm currently considering. Only downside is the not DH certified thing. Which I'm really not sure I need, but quite unsure.
6. Troy Lee Designs Stage. FITS ALMOST AS WELL AS BELL SUPER AIR R. Just not quite, feels a touch heavier and possibly not quite as well ventilated but it's darn close. This one has the DH certification.

So, honestly I'm down to the TLD Stage and the Bell Super Air R. I'm only hesitant about the Bell at this point because of the non DH rating and some reviews that indicate " doesn't inspire confidence" or "chin guard flexes and unsure if it would hold up" and other similar quite subjective opinions. Similarly with the TLD I'm slightly hesitant because the fit is ever so slightly not quite as good as the Bell and it's not quite as light or ventilated.

Thanks -
Don't pass on the Bell Super DH. My experience with the bell helmet has been great. It's very comfortable, breaths we'll, does not feel heavy, and the lower jaw guard can be removed for less rowdy rides. I've ridden with it in temps ranging from 20 to 100 degrees and have never been uncomfortable.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I’ve had a TLD Stage for a few years now which is pretty much my go to. A big issue at first but not necessarily a problem with the helmet was sweat pouring into my eyes while climbing in warmer weather. I’ve been wearing a Halo sweatband with my open face but couldn’t get the Stage on without pulling it down (chin pads grab it). The solution was a Sweat Buster forehead pad by Trax Factory. Problem solved plus I have a skinny head and are folically challenged so the extra padding makes for a better fit. Something to consider.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California

Thanks -
Both my son & I use the Bell Super Air R helmet, both have been “crash tested”, with successful survival. The only caveat we both had was that due to Spherical MIPS there was some helmet rattle on sun goggles, fixed this by direct ordering from Bell’s accessories site a set of their replaceable thicker cheek pads (I’m not sure if helmet comes with these included currently but they weren’t when we got our helmets couple years ago), you can also order replacement helmet pads for when yours get sweat funky!

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
Check out the Spesh Gambit, I love mine. It’s all carbon so it’s fairly light, breathes well and is compatible with ANGI if you use that. Certain colours are on sale at most places right now, I picked mine up for half off of retail price.
2nd the Gambit. My 1st full face was the ProFrame. Not a bad helmet, it just never felt like a it fit like a glove. Tried the Specializes Gambit and wow, super breathable, lightweight and it has an adjuster to get a tighter fit on your head. Love that adjuster!

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
Ever since I did this a few years back I have been wearing the TLD Stage.. it fits great, comes with three sets of pads to fit just right and you can purchase replacement parts for the liners… and I am turning 60 this year

5072F431-DD05-4DD8-ACBF-A42AAF309B23.jpeg

D

Deleted member 7401

If you want the best full face for safety only need to consider the 6D or Bell.

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
Smith mainline! Ticks all the boxes, super light, dh rated, super ventilated. Love mine.
Sizing wise fits close to fox sizing.

Had a hugey with mine, hit hard enough to crack the helmet, landed directly onto rocks on my head. I was fine (bar grazes and bruises, not on my head mind you). Helmet in the bin and ordered another immediately.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Trying on or wearing them I never once said oh wow that's heavy to any helmet. To be fair though I have 30 years on motorcycles wearing DOT rated helmets and 20 years military wearing helmets with all sorts of NVG's and such so maybe I simply am numb to heavy headgear.
This is good comment. I never felt during enduro motorcycle riding that my Shoei helmet was too heavy or was restricting anything even when driving slow speed in the mud. Things look different if you look them from motoside :)

I'm riding the Giro Switchblade MIPS on trails without the chin bar (for no good reason actually). Used to ride it in bikeparks but changed to my old Shoei which feels way more secure.

Last edited:

maker

Feb 13, 2020
North Wales
Got Switchbalde and yes it's heavy. I remove jaw part for going uphill to save weight, and sometimes remove full helmet going up as too hot. Downhill OK but in UK so rarely over 20C. My rides are a long up, followed by long down, if more of a mixture then changing would be annoying.
Get MIPS

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
After a huge OTB, I hit my thigh muscle hard, I later found out that there was a huge dent in the helmet and the eps foam was cracked. Subsequently, I got a bell super air R. It is light, breathable, comfortable, but it started to wear out quite quickly. later I also got a Met parachute MCR which I've been using for over 2 years and it's downright amazing. Boa wheel, magnetic buckle, just everything a proper helmet should have. Last week, when choosing a helmet, my friend also decided, and in the end he also decided on the MET.
In the case of the bell super air R, after less than two years, the locking system and linings were replaced, for which I thank the bell company, but technically it is poorly designed and the wheel will be damaged again over time

unnamed (2).jpg 20230419_143104.jpg tmp_8a0fccd5-4aeb-44d0-abd8-878b466a4a74.jpeg unnamed (1).jpg 20221120_101129.jpg 1682342019507.png 1682342413224.png

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles