What do you wear when washing your bike?

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Trying to get out a bit more subject of course to Dictator Sturgeon and the heid dentist (Pandemic expert:unsure:) but any side roads are covered in muck dragged out by the farmers and any tracks are mostly glaur (English: Liquid MUD)

So the bike gets just a tad covered in nastiness leading to mucho washing and cleaning. The top temp today however was ten with a little wind chill. Despite wearing a padded overall and a padded vest (Gilet for the more genteel) I found it COLD.❄❄❄

So what do you experts wear to wash and clean your bikes in the frozen months of the year?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I hose my bikes down on the lawn (stood in their stands) as soon as I get home, and also hose myself down! Go inside get showered & changed and leave the bikes outside in the wind to dry off for a while. The mud goes all over my lawn but I reckon it’s giving the lawn a good feed so a bit of multitasking going on

Then give the bikes a good bounce to get excess drips off and move them inside my garage. That’s when the finer deep clean of drivetrain happens. I finish the frame / bars / wheels / cranks etc with Vulcanet wipes in the comfort of my garage with heating on, fresh coffee and 6Music on the radio

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
Same as Tubby. Get home, hose bike off, wash bike, in garage with bike and dry with airline, hose myself, go indoors for shower.

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Asked my mate. He swears by calisthenics but too much like hard work.

Also not got a warm garage. Only a cold back yard (Lawn?)☃

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My usual bike maintenance gear (old jeans, old tee shirt, old rugby shirt) plus old wellies.
Plus an old fleece as well if it's cold.

The average age of what I wear must be well over 20 years. For example, the wellies are the oldest at 35 years (from the year we moved in to our current house) and the fleece is the newest at 19 years (it has a date on it).

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I hose my bikes down on the lawn (stood in their stands) as soon as I get home, and also hose myself down! Go inside get showered & changed and leave the bikes outside in the wind to dry off for a while. The mud goes all over my lawn but I reckon it’s giving the lawn a good feed so a bit of multitasking going on

Then give the bikes a good bounce to get excess drips off and move them inside my garage. That’s when the finer deep clean of drivetrain happens. I finish the frame / bars / wheels / cranks etc with Vulcanet wipes in the comfort of my garage with heating on, fresh coffee and 6Music on the radio
I mean I indulged relentlessly in the whole 90's rave scene & never saw such Bacchanalian decadence as this.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
If its a local route that I started from home ..just my riding gear as soon as I get back ..
If I've driven home then the likelihood is that I've changed out of muddy gear and into a pair of shorts ,Tee and a warm jacket so will put on some waterproof over trousers and a pair of wellies and follow roughly the same routine as TubbyG ..if the ground is dry I will ride the bike around the local streets for a few mins to rid it of any excess water lubing is done indoors ..

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire

This sounds like a good system, I’m going to give it a try next time.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
After particularly muddy local rides once I've washed the bike I genuinely do hose my riding clothes off, get out of them and take a quick naked outdoor shower.
I live in the middle of nowhere and have the luxury of a hotwater outdoor hose though.
Presumably you then trampoline to dry off?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
06773C9C-B33A-456F-A354-9165E8F19B37.jpeg

sometimes a picture says a thousand words

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
No, but if I say ‘OK Google, let’s party’ -everything turns off in my house and goes dark, Inner City’s Pennies from Heaven starts playing on the hifi, and my garden, conservatory & lounge lights go into full disco mode ?
F*****g knew it. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles