chrisr

Jun 8, 2018
Wales
Does anyone have a list of checks etc to complete on a new bike, I'm sure I read about putting loctite on certain bolts? What's the best way of checking the bolts that have a recommended torque setting without a torque wrench, adjusting the dropper cable, overtight cable ties etc
Thanks in advance

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You will get the odd contrary opinion, but I would say 99% of us wash it with the battery in. Be sensible and dont jet wash the bike, and dont spray high volumes/pressure at the motor/electrical areas. Also dont wash the bike upside down!

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Depends what they offer you Chrisr TBH, mine is pretty much free install or as much as makes no difference. They get a template out of it and I get a ~free install and my bike Invisiframed when the option was go naked... so a fair deal IMO.

Anyone that tells you they can set Torque by feel ACCURATELY is deluded hence why Torque wrenches exist and good mechanics use them where applicable. Generally on pivot bolts your often preloading bearings so a Torque wrench is pretty much required if you want your bearings to last as long as possible. However I've seen many people with a Torque wrench not know how to use one properly. If you stuck just give it a little test nip to make sure its not loose, they are ~ 15Nm and the Horst link 6Nm (see earlier in thread or the Post about E SommetTorques).

I applied Loctite to a few thread interfaces, off the top of my head I definitely done the speed sensor magnet, redone the brake post bolts, derailleur hanger bolt, stem bolts, chain guide bolt and grip bolts (I replaced the grips with Revgrips). Not took the linkage to bits yet to see where to apply Loctite if anywhere.. one things for certain don't get it on any of the pivot pins its normally best to apply a small drop into the receiving end (the NUT end not the bolt threads) of the pivot pin so you don't contaminate areas that's shouldn't be. Loctite is like a glue/set plastic so once done give it time to set... once you break the lock your generally need to clean and reapply.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If it was me, I'd buy a couple of spare tyres to get the first level of discount, then buy a spare battery to get the Platinum discount, then buy the bike. Effectively you've got the tyres and battery for free with the bike. Of course, this needs a level of planning that may be out of reach for some.

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
Does anyone have a list of checks etc to complete on a new bike, I'm sure I read about putting loctite on certain bolts? What's the best way of checking the bolts that have a recommended torque setting without a torque wrench, adjusting the dropper cable, overtight cable ties etc
Thanks in advance
Hi, have a look at this thread. We need more information from our more experienced members to list all of the things that should be checked.

Vitus e-Sommet - Tips and Tricks to reduce failure and improve reliability - EMTB Forums

Stanley

Jan 15, 2019
Stockport
First post...
Mine arrived on Thursday. I spent yesterday checking it all out, setting up the tubeless and winterizing it.
Mine has been put together really nicely. All fittings are tightened properly. I just made a minor adjustment to the dropper cable routing and front battery mount.

Size wise... I'm just under 5'10" and have really long arms and legs for my height; I bought a large. It feels just right. The riding position is no more stretched out than my 10 years old Turner 5 Spot, even though the ett is loads longer. I guess the angles and stem lengths are from a different era!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

chrispymocha

Jan 21, 2019
South Wales
First post...
Mine arrived on Thursday. I spent yesterday checking it all out, setting up the tubeless and winterizing it.
Mine has been put together really nicely. All fittings are tightened properly. I just made a minor adjustment to the dropper cable routing and front battery mount.

Size wise... I'm just under 5'10" and have really long arms and legs for my height; I bought a large. It feels just right. The riding position is no more stretched out than my 10 years old Turner 5 Spot, even though the ett is loads longer. I guess the angles and stem lengths are from a different era!

Are the wheels and tyres tubless ready - was it just a case of sticking some valves and sealant in the tyre?

Thanks

Stanley

Jan 15, 2019
Stockport
First post...

Are the wheels and tyres tubless ready - was it just a case of sticking some valves and sealant in the tyre?

Thanks
Exactly that. About 5 minutes per wheel!
They inflated really easily, and the tyre seated perfectly. They stayed up fine without any sealant... Although I later added some of Stan's finest.

Ps. The valves are included in the box of bits that comes with the bike

chrispymocha

Jan 21, 2019
South Wales
They inflated really easily, and the tyre seated perfectly. They stayed up fine without any sealant... Although I later added some of Stan's finest.

Ah that's even better than I hoped then - can't wait until the bike comes next week - heres hoping the box will fit in my car :LOL:

Stanley

Jan 15, 2019
Stockport

Ah that's even better than I hoped then - can't wait until the bike comes next week - heres hoping the box will fit in my car
No chance!

TIP

Jan 19, 2019
Kent
mine arrived yesterday, spent last night invisiframing (went well for a first timer) few issues with the build , shock guard was loose and for some reason they had used fibre grip on the axles??? tubeless was a breeze, changed to my standard ergon saddle and grips , and fitted a dog egg guard (mudhugger) . first shred tomorrow

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I've got a Slik graphics kit for the RC3, in red which I reckon would go well on the 2019 VR. Cost £10 from Slik, £6 posted if anyone wants them

Stanley

Jan 15, 2019
Stockport
Been out on the new bike this morning. Bloody well love it
Everything went well apart from a bit of an off. A stupid one... Was on a quiet tarmac climb, so I stuck it in Boost mode and gave the missus a shove along. Both sat there at 15 mph whizzing up this hill. I gave her a final shove off, my bars caught on her rucksack, and I did a massive tank slapper and ended up in a ditch! Bike is fine, but my back is bad!
Really pleased with the bike

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
Oh, OK. I thought it would keep things cleaner and stop crud getting into the area of the motor where the cables plug in. Those cable ties were very tight. After reinserting the dropper post, I cable tied the cable, but made the ties less tight.

I have put a cover (of sorts) over that big hole. I'm using some strong Velcro to hold it in place. Gonna make a better one soon although it does the job. Might just spray it black or just use some black foam as suggested elsewhere.

It's one of the very few bad things about the E-Sommet.
IMG_20190121_140334394-800.png

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Anyone know (I'm certain that someone will) if the Super Deluxe RC3 shock comes with any Bottomless Tokens installed. If so, how many?

It looks like youll have to let the air out and take the shock off or release one end to check.. looks too tight to check installed but possible with a strap wrench? I didn't get any Shock tokens with my bike and I've only got Fox tokens so if it needs some ill have to buy them.

I did get some Tubeless valves with mine and I stuck them in because I couldn't be bothered looking for the Milkits Iv'e got in a box somewhere. Core removable and yes the wheels pop up pretty easy as they are standard 27.5 and not 29er Asymmetric wheels (which can be a nightmare to without a compressor).
Anyway the tyres have been sitting with inner tubes in and I ensured I only popped one side bead to remove the innertube so if it doesn't seat easily from this position then you may have issues.. no issues seating but I was using a compressor but they seated instantly without any manipulation.

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I have put a cover (of sorts) over that big hole. I'm using some strong Velcro to hold it in place. Gonna make a better one soon although it does the job. Might just spray it black or just use some black foam as suggested elsewhere.

It's one of the very few bad things about the E-Sommet. View attachment 10128

I'd say the open area is a deliberate design decision to prevent the area filling up with mud around your shock and damaging it?

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
It looks like youll have to let the air out and take the shock off or release one end to check.. looks too tight to check installed but possible with a strap wrench? I didn't get any Shock tokens with my bike and I've only got Fox tokens so if it needs some ill have to buy them.

I did get some Tubeless valves with mine and I stuck them in because I couldn't be bothered looking for the Milkits Iv'e got in a box somewhere. Core removable and yes the wheels pop up pretty easy as they are standard 27.5 and not 29er Asymmetric wheels (which can be a nightmare to without a compressor).
Anyway the tyres have been sitting with inner tubes in and I ensured I only popped one side bead to remove the innertube so if it doesn't seat easily from this position then you may have issues.. no issues seating but I was using a compressor but they seated instantly without any manipulation.
I ordered 2 from Wiggle and waited a couple of days for them to arrive. Went tubeless on Friday using the same method as you. I used a Lifeline Airblast track pump, bought for £ 34 from CRC during the Black Friday sales, and it popped both tyres first time even without sealant.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks Gary(y). Probably the reason why I am only using about 75% of the available travel on the shock.
I find it's nicely progressive with them.
you sure you're not running it too stiff/too little sag? or just not pushing the bike hard enough to bottom it out?
Takes quite a big hit to bottom mine so it won't ever use full travel during just general ridiing. (running around 27% sag)

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
I find it's nicely progressive with them.
you sure you're not running it too stiff/too little sag? or just not pushing the bike hard enough to bottom it out?
Takes quite a big hit to bottom mine so it won't ever use full travel during just general ridiing. (running around 27% sag)
I am running 30% sag. My 'bike' weight is 84kg. I feel that it is less compliant than my Giant Reign, but you are right, I have not had any really big hits yet. So I'll carry on with the current set up. must go and try it on some jumps and drop offs:)

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
How much are invisiframe charging you to fit the kit?
My LBS is charging £75 to supply or £100 to supply and fit the kit, they said it was 4-5 hours work if you know what you are doing so thats a no brainer! Its in for treatment this week, they had a ghost in that had already been done and it was flawless.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles