Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I think the Commencal is closest to the Vitus in terms of geo and I would guess ride feel. Vitus bit more travel, Meta coil shock. Vitus is a lot cheaper for equivalent spec though!
I agree , I was thinking ghost too is great value. The meta isn’t as good value at the 3500 price point but if your going to upgrade a few bits then the 4K model is worth a look in that price bracket as is the 4500 bracket for the next one up too . All we need is now is nukeproof to make an e version of thier mega avalanche and chain reaction will clean up with best value Ebikes ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
i have a long background in snowboarding, both selling, teaching and bumming around the alps, and one of the biggest issues is people buying boards that they think are right for them, but actually are beyond their abilities to get the most out of. A lot of boards are amazing if you ride them hard, but crap for cruising around, and most people would be better off on a board thats great at cruising around, and not designed for holding up on landings off 50ft booters.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
="Kernow, post: 9227, member:36]All we need is now is nukeproof to make an e version of thier mega avalanche and chain reaction will clean up with best value Ebikes
Funnily enough I was chatting to the blokes on the Nukeproof stand at Malvern. It’s a no from them currently, but not indefinitely.
It would be a major redesign though as their shock layout clashes with battery placement. One of the reasons I didn’t just convert my Mega.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Funnily enough I was chatting to the blokes on the Nukeproof stand at Malvern. It’s a no from them currently, but not indefinitely.
It would be a major redesign though as their shock layout clashes with battery placement. One of the reasons I didn’t just convert my Mega.

That explains it I guess the chassis needs to fit the motor easily , hence the brands with well proven bikes like vitus and commencal that have been able to simply make an ebike version using shimano motors are on to a winner clearly , hence the pricing and short supply due to good sales .
I think it’s easier to buy an E version of a proven bike you have iether ridden of know well from it’s pedigree and popularity . I do wonder how e specific brands with high prices sell like they do . But I knew I could buy a vitus commencal or a Levo and know I would like the bike and how it performs .

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have just picked up some 160mm cranks, was tempted by 150mm but didn't want to reduce the peddling platform significantly for going downhill, or muck around with the gearing.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Swapped out the standard dropper remote for a Wolf Toth a couple of weeks back, massive improvement over the stock remote, much lighter action and you can really easily modulate the rate of ascent. Definitely a worth while upgrade. Its clamped at the bar end, so you need a new gear cable, but i re used the existing outer, so installing was an easy job, and now all adjustment is at the lever rather than the post.

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Swapped out the standard dropper remote for a Wolf Toth a couple of weeks back, massive improvement over the stock remote, much lighter action and you can really easily modulate the rate of ascent. Definitely a worth while upgrade. Its clamped at the bar end, so you need a new gear cable, but i re used the existing outer, so installing was an easy job, and now all adjustment is at the lever rather than the post.

View attachment 2292
Any links?
Especially for the grips (they look the mutz)

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I have just picked up some 160mm cranks, was tempted by 150mm but didn't want to reduce the peddling platform significantly for going downhill, or muck around with the gearing.
Is that for a shimano motor ? Miranda cranks ? Where did you find them

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
no idea, and not something that i really care about, but will measure them and the OEM ones when i do the swap this afternoon

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I've been busy tinkering whilst laid up, here's a couple of garden photos

View attachment 2222 View attachment 2223

List of mods so far;

170mm Reverb with paddle remote
SC6000 mode selector
SQ labs 45mm rise 12 degree sweep bars
XT shifter (just because I had it)
Ergon GA2 grips
165mm XT cranks
Shimano Saint pedals
Maxxis Minion DHR 2.8 rear tyre (thinking of changing it though as it is a bit vague)
And the all important custom Slik fork and shock graphics!

Also got a 2019 debonair air spring on order, thinking of changing the order to a 180mm version though. Thoughts?

I am tempted by a coil at the back, interested to see how you get on with the air spring though. TBH i am toying with going full monster downhill with the set up over the winter., and putting some double crown forks on. Some nice mods there

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Ta. Just in case it wasn't clear air spring is for the Lyrik. Yeah a coil spring is tempting but the Super Deluxe is so good hard to justify for me. I'm sure a coil would still be better though.

Might just change the order to a 180mm spring.....

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
They have sold out of the VR, they still have the standard model. I think its that this test bike has been doing the rounds and Pinkbike have only just got round to reviewing it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ta. Just in case it wasn't clear air spring is for the Lyrik. Yeah a coil spring is tempting but the Super Deluxe is so good hard to justify for me. I'm sure a coil would still be better though.

Might just change the order to a 180mm spring.....
Agree with on the super deluxe, theres just something about a coil though!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'd be happy with the lower spec model to be honest, especially once the BC discount has been applied.

I think it's a nicer colour too.[/bike tart]

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
After I got mine two mates bought the lower spec model ( povvo spec!). I knew they'd crack....

They have both changed the brakes to Guide RE. One has changed the wheels and tyres and upgraded the fork to 2019 air spring and new charger damper, the other just has the air spring on order , think he is going for 180mm too.

Other than that I don't think the drivetrain makes that much difference on an ebike, in fact I think there's good argument for a cheaper, possibly more robust 10 speed set up. I run my rear shock wide open all the time so doubt there is much benefit in the rc3. Still killer bikes and they're flying on them.

Agree the colour is a bit nicer too but the missus said mine looks like a poisonous insect from a tropical rainforest, good enough for me!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
At the price of the base model, you can view it as a cheap way to get a very good start point to do a custom e-bike build.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ok, so just put 15 miles on them this morning.

First thing is my usual ride involves 2 miles or so of road to get to the off road so to speak, and from the moment i set off i noticed the difference in cadence, its not massive but noticeable. Because of this i would be reluctant to go shorter than the 160mm. If you purely ride off road you may not be bothered by this.

However the moment i hit the off road, it was no longer noticeable, mostly because on the road i am usually just under or just over the cut off for the motor, and spinning a constant cadence, whereas off road i only hold a constant cadence for shorter amount of time, and if i am holding a constant cadence its on a steep uphill at speeds well under the cut off.

Once off road these make a big difference, i deliberately rode down and up the roughest parts of single track which are very rooty, with lots of run off channels cut into the clay by the water that makes up most of the tracks round here, and i didnt have a single pedal strike today. I would say that since getting the bike i have modified my riding style to minimise pedal strikes, but by about half way round my loop i had a new level of confidence in the bike, and was charging everything.

Also loved the crank brothers stamps, big improvement over my Nukeproofs. I went for these because i figured the large pedal platform would help off set the reduced overall peddling platform from the shorter cranks.

I have no technical data to back this up, but the Mirandas felt stiffer than the stock cranks too, and felt more efficient. They are less hollowed out than the OEM cranks.

All in all i would have no hesitation in recommending these cranks to anyone suffering from pedal strike! Bare in mind you will need to raise your saddle height to offset the drop in crank length.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Ok, so just put 15 miles on them this morning.

First thing is my usual ride involves 2 miles or so of road to get to the off road so to speak, and from the moment i set off i noticed the difference in cadence, its not massive but noticeable. Because of this i would be reluctant to go shorter than the 160mm. If you purely ride off road you may not be bothered by this.

However the moment i hit the off road, it was no longer noticeable, mostly because on the road i am usually just under or just over the cut off for the motor, and spinning a constant cadence, whereas off road i only hold a constant cadence for shorter amount of time, and if i am holding a constant cadence its on a steep uphill at speeds well under the cut off.

Once off road these make a big difference, i deliberately rode down and up the roughest parts of single track which are very rooty, with lots of run off channels cut into the clay by the water that makes up most of the tracks round here, and i didnt have a single pedal strike today. I would say that since getting the bike i have modified my riding style to minimise pedal strikes, but by about half way round my loop i had a new level of confidence in the bike, and was charging everything.

Also loved the crank brothers stamps, big improvement over my Nukeproofs. I went for these because i figured the large pedal platform would help off set the reduced overall peddling platform from the shorter cranks.

I have no technical data to back this up, but the Mirandas felt stiffer than the stock cranks too, and felt more efficient. They are less hollowed out than the OEM cranks.

All in all i would have no hesitation in recommending these cranks to anyone suffering from pedal strike! Bare in mind you will need to raise your saddle height to offset the drop in crank length.

Received and fit my Miranda cranks today. I went for the 150's..

Just back from a two hour ride thro' my local trails. As mentioned above you immediately feel a difference in cadence and that you are putting in more effort for any given situation compared with the 175 Shimano's. However they soon feel natural and (the reason for the change) pedal strikes seem to be a thing from the past :). Recommended.

For the record the Miranda crank reference is Delta SH 150Q and cost including shipping was euro79.

20180625_130405.jpg

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
So cadence difference is noticeable you are spinning faster , or going slower for same rpm , how does the gearing feel , is there a need for lower gearing for steep climbing . I know I wouldn’t want to lose my bottom gear climbing ratio so if there’s a need a smaller front ring would be required

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If the gearing hasn’t changed why would you be going slower for the same RPM? More effort will be required to push the shorter lever, but that doesn’t mean each rotation will equal less forward motion unless you run a lower gear to compensate for the extra effort.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
On mine (160mm) I didn’t notice any difference in climbing ability etc in terms of effort off road. I notice the difference when riding on tarmac, not so much on the uphills but when getting near or over the limiter on falter sections.

Hard to describe, but how it felt for me was that you are reaching the downstroke of the reveloution slightly quicker, so when i first got on the bike (again on tarmac) my brain clocked that something was slightly different.

If you didn’t know the cranks where shorter you may not even pick it up

Mind you by the end of the ride I had meantally adjusted.

I can’t atest to shorter than 160mm

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
does anybody know if the miranda cranks that Merlin are selling come with fixing bolts

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Mine did, from Dillglove Limited - although when i spoke to them on the phone they thought they did not come with bolts.

I couldn't get the locking plate to fit from the shimano cranks, as i think the bolts are set slightly further away from the spindle on those, compared to the Mirandas.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles