R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
by ziptying it further along the chain stay?

I have had no issues with mine, and it’s been through the wringer - main thing is to check magnet is tight when you go out.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
That's what I'm thinking.
I thought about drilling and tapping right along then a short magnet would do and it'd be at the hub / out the way.
I go off piste a lot so picking up sticks etc catches the magnet

Iain at the back

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2018
Labamo
Shimano make a brake rotor with a magnet in, but I'm not sure where you would mount the sensor on the Vitus, as I think it would be right by the suspension linkage.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Yea, a few of me mate's have levos & kinevos and one has an orange .
All are better placed but those biked are at least £1000+ more than the vitus and no better in my opinion

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Some e bikes utilise the magnet in the disc and place the sensor further back, personally I would be reluctant to move the sensor from its current location as it is secure there.

They do sell the sensor separately and it just plugs into the motor - I don’t know how long the cable is though.

The Vitus is as good as anything else out there, it just happens to be cheaper than most!

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Someone posted a link to a Bosch magnet that clips across two spokes and looks to be a lot more secure, will see if I can find it. A French shop had them in stock

If you read the MBR review it's clear they think the Vitus is one of the best. The only negatives they mentioned are clashes with seatpost insertion (not an issue for me as I'm lanky) and they said the BB could be 5mm lower, they list it at 343 on a medium. Odd as my XL measures 335 with a 2.8 Minion on the back, my mate's XL measures 330 although he has changed wheels and tyres and is complaining about pedal strikes. I don't think BB height is supposed to vary between frame sizes, anyone else care to measure and post up?

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Yeah, having smashed my flat pedal into a tree stump and breaking my neck in the crash I have moved back to spds so have bought saints and have some 165mm XT cranks on the way (to be honest I didn't see the tree stump but good excuse for injury time upgrading!)

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Thats MBR for you though, always lower, slacker, longer! One of the reviewers was complaining that his Lapierre is "old-school" and riding it was fun because it's always on the ragged edge. OK it's not a Pole or a Geometron but it's an XL with 66.6 HA, 74.5 S.A., 483 reach and 430mm chainstays! 18 months ago that was bang on trend (ahem) and its hardly dated now. They do come out with some right old bollocks sometimes...

Last edited:

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Thats MBR for you though, always lower, slacker, longer! One of the reviewers was complaining that his Lapierre is "old-school" and riding it was fun because it's always on the ragged edge. OK it's not a Pole or a Geometron but it's an XL with 66.6 HA, 74.5 S.A., 483 reach and 430mm chainstays! 18 months ago that was bang on trend (ahem) and its hardly dated now. They do come out with some right old bollocks sometimes...
Where do you see the review?
I can only find a very short article on MBR under news. Not a proper review. Do you have a link?

Mines tighter than a scotchman with Yorkshire foster parents & can't see awt obvious to cause this.
May have to replace whole cable.
Yes sounds like it. With some luck you don't have to change the housing.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
It's in the July issue, don't think it will be online while the mag is still on the shelves. I won't post photos of it as could cause issues for the forum/Rob, obviously they want to sell some copies!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I can pull through the dropper cable using pretty easily on mine, have removed the post twice in last couple of months without issue? Its tight but not unmovable. Where it is zipped in place beside the shock is important, as if the cable has too much slack above this would cause the cable to kink, and if its cranked too tight could cause issue too.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
It's in the July issue, don't think it will be online while the mag is still on the shelves. I won't post photos of it as could cause issues for the forum/Rob, obviously they want to sell some copies!
Yeah, not fair to the publisher to post it here.

I’m receiving the Vitus as soon as they get their XL one back. Can’t wait to give it a proper ride and test it out.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The review basically says that if you are after an enduro e-bike its as good as anything else out there, and largely reflects owners observations in this thread. Have to say i would not want a lower BB on mine, will get my hands on the shorter e8000 cranks that are coming out later this year when i can.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I can pull through the dropper cable using pretty easily on mine, have removed the post twice in last couple of months without issue? Its tight but not unmovable
Is yours rou
Where do you see the review?
I can only find a very short article on MBR under news. Not a proper review. Do you have a link?

Yes sounds like it. With some luck you don't have to change the housing.
Any photos of routing?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
it just goes thought the down tube, out by the motor, then up past the shock (where it is ziptied to the frame, then up the seat tube?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Sorted!
Works as it should have from the start, had to drop the motor tho, which wasn't nipped up as tight as it should have been, mabe worth a check.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Pinkbike review:

Vitus E-Sommet VR eMTB - Review - Pinkbike

"hands down the best descending and cornering eMTB to date, being stable with my hands far enough behind the front axle of the 170mm fork even in really steep terrain, and railing corners like a downhill bike.

To the non-E-believers, you're going to be heading straight to the comments section now, as I say that despite the 23kg weight, the E-Sommet rides with incredible lightness and agility, it simply floats over the terrain, pops easily and changes lean direction on a dime"

:unsure:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Pinkbike review:

"hands down the best descending and cornering eMTB to date, being stable with my hands far enough behind the front axle of the 170mm fork even in really steep terrain, and railing corners like a downhill bike.

To the non-E-believers, you're going to be heading straight to the comments section now, as I say that despite the 23kg weight, the E-Sommet rides with incredible lightness and agility, it simply floats over the terrain, pops easily and changes lean direction on a dime"

Gets a great review. That's the exact bike I've been waiting for (the only XL that they have). It's coming next week. Cant wait to have a go!

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Pinkbike review:

A very good test indeed , and there’s no doubt it’s a great bike , but I do get annoyed with some sweeping statements made by testers like
“the best EMTB to date “
when they don’t list the other bikes they have compared it to except maybe one obscure bike you’ve never heard of , There must be quite a few bikes out there now that would compare favourably which could give a potential buyer a bit if a choice comparison, which after all is the usually the main reason we go in search of tests when buying bikes .

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
A very good test indeed , and there’s no doubt it’s a great bike , but I do get annoyed with some sweeping statements made by testers like
“the best EMTB to date “
when they don’t list the other bikes they have compared it to except maybe one obscure bike you’ve never heard of , There must be quite a few bikes out there now that would compare favourably which could give a potential buyer a bit if a choice comparison, which after all is the usually the main reason we go in search of tests when buying bikes .

I think the Commencal is closest to the Vitus in terms of geo and I would guess ride feel. Vitus bit more travel, Meta coil shock. Vitus is a lot cheaper for equivalent spec though!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
“the best EMTB to date “
There's no doubt though that they've created a smashing bike for an unbelievable price point. I wonder how much he considers the price in his conclusion of 'the best EMTB to date'?

I hopefully will be able to add some real comparisons, I am riding one of the most expensive EMTB's this weekend (Pivot Shuttle) then getting the Vitus (cheapest 'real' EMTB?) on Monday / Tuesday, so will be really interesting to compare (they have obvious differences), but both built around the Shimano E8000 lump.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I've been busy tinkering whilst laid up, here's a couple of garden photos

20180605_183847.jpg
20180605_183959.jpg

List of mods so far;

170mm Reverb with paddle remote
SC6000 mode selector
SQ labs 45mm rise 12 degree sweep bars
XT shifter (just because I had it but it has had something wrong with it from new in that it's very stiff, actually works well for the ebike as it helps me stop shifting multiple cogs)
Ergon GA2 fat grips
165mm XT cranks
Shimano Saint pedals
45mm stem
Maxxis Minion DHR 2.8 rear tyre (thinking of changing it though as it is a bit vague)
And the all important custom Slik fork and shock graphics!

Also got a 2019 debonair air spring for the Lyrik on order, thinking of changing the order to a 180mm version though. Thoughts?

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There's no doubt though that they've created a smashing bike for an unbelievable price point. I wonder how much he considers the price in his conclusion of 'the best EMTB to date'?

I hopefully will be able to add some real comparisons, I am riding one of the most expensive EMTB's this weekend (Pivot Shuttle) then getting the Vitus (cheapest 'real' EMTB?) on Monday / Tuesday, so will be really interesting to compare (they have obvious differences), but both built around the Shimano E8000 lump.

I would say you wouldn't go wrong with a Sommet, Shuttle, Kenevo, or Ghost Slammr if you are looking at the big travel end of the spectrum, irrelevant of the price, you will most likely get the same level of performance and just get the bike you like the feel of most - the real issue is that to truly tell which is best, you need to push them over serious terrain, understand proper suspension set up to get the best out of the bike for how you ride, and be capable of doing so - with no disrespect to most of us on here, i doubt many of us are capable of riding these bikes to the level at which the difference between running a fox 36 or a rocks lyric is that apparent. The cracks in these bikes armour will only become apparent when they are being pushed to their limits, and that means riding them down some proper gnarly DH at Mach 10, hitting serious gaps and drops etc.

I am probably riding my Vitus as 60-70% of what it is capable of, so for me it is improving my riding as its allowing me to attempt going faster and harder than i have ever gone on any bike, and my ability, not the bike is the limiting factor, as it still feels rock solid and comfortable going at speeds where i am far from comfortable! If Steve Peat rode it he would probably have a very different opinion!

What this does mean is that the best gravity focused e-bike, may not be the best e-bike for you if thats not the riding you are doing, and if you are an average rider, is the bike that performs best at 7/10ths of its capabilities actually better for you than the bike that performs best at 10/10ths but is a bit of a pig at anything under?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles