Fuel EXe Turning the Fuel EXe into an XC bike? What would be needed?

Gee_Whiz

Feb 19, 2022
DC,US
Hi all, so if one can be found firstly.. I'm looking into what may be necessary to use the Fuel EXe as an XC bike for distance riding, as a lot of my rides are with non-powered users, usually on road or gravel bikes..

So far:
Shorter handlebars
Road/Gravel tires

Larger chainring, rear cog?
any adjustments to gearing?

Thanks!

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
I would start with a light frame first for an XC bike, lighter fork maximum 120 travel, Reserve 28xc Wheels with 180 Hubs, Schmolke Carbon Bars, I am sure you could change every major part with something lighter. Let us know how you get on.

Gee_Whiz

Feb 19, 2022
DC,US
I would start with a light frame first for an XC bike, lighter fork maximum 120 travel, Reserve 28xc Wheels with 180 Hubs, Schmolke Carbon Bars, I am sure you could change every major part with something lighter. Let us know how you get on.

This is a great start.. thank you!

Gee_Whiz

Feb 19, 2022
DC,US
Why not just get an e-calibre?

Gordon

Considering an e-caliber and also a topstone as well.. but also do some light-roading/mainly greenways/rooted trails so seeing what it would look like to operate with one bike for different purposes.. maybe not the best route though

Aikone

May 28, 2021
UK
Best change I’ve made on the Rail for lighter local trails is a set of fast XC tyres, greatly increased the range and reduced drag

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
The E calibre will be phased out since the original Fazua motor is no longer made.

Fast rolling tyres would be the cheapest and best option for faster roll and increased range. Maybe Ground Controls, Wicked Will or new Forekaster V2? Reckon/Dissector would roll well with a bit more grip? Range can be improved by about 20%.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
The E calibre will be phased out since the original Fazua motor is no longer made.

Fast rolling tyres would be the cheapest and best option for faster roll and increased range. Maybe Ground Controls, Wicked Will or new Forekaster V2? Reckon/Dissector would roll well with a bit more grip? Range can be improved by about 20%.

The current Fazua Evation motor has been replaced by the BRAND NEW Ride 50 system which is a direct upgrade (abet a minor one) for the Evation. It fits exactly the same way as the older motor and just has internal improvements for efficiency, cooling and a tiny power bump.

It is likely that most new eMTB's will be the Ride 60 and the Ride 50 will be used for eRoad and eGravel. But it's still there for frames that take the Evation system and is ultimately lighter if you want to ride without the motor/battery.

I would think that Trek would just offer next years model with the new motor (if it was a commercial success) like others did with the e8000/ep8 change over.

Gordon

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
The current Fazua Evation motor has been replaced by the BRAND NEW Ride 50 system which is a direct upgrade (abet a minor one) for the Evation. It fits exactly the same way as the older motor and just has internal improvements for efficiency, cooling and a tiny power bump.

It is likely that most new eMTB's will be the Ride 60 and the Ride 50 will be used for eRoad and eGravel. But it's still there for frames that take the Evation system and is ultimately lighter if you want to ride without the motor/battery.

I would think that Trek would just offer next years model with the new motor (if it was a commercial success) like others did with the e8000/ep8 change over.

Gordon
Hi Flash, thanks for the update, good to know. So E-Calibre May continue if it is popular?

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Lighter wheels, tires, dropper, drive train, saddle, pedals, stem, bar, change to Pike 150(don't go below 140 minimum). This should only cost you an additional $3,200 or so.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Have you thought of something like the Trek Dual Sport
It's basically an XC hardtail. You would save a packed from replacing so much stuff on the Fuel-e to make it more XC
1659039352099.png

Specialized have the Creo. I have seen one of these used as a gravel bike.
1659039545189.png

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Hi Flash, thanks for the update, good to know. So E-Calibre May continue if it is popular?
Up to Trek but yes, it could. It's rather unique too, being a true XC weapon that's an eMTB. Most are trail or Enduro. Also possible that they have more plans for the TQ motor. It's been well received so a new e-calibre and a light e-enduro could feature that motor....

It seems Trek are carving a path to dominance in the light weight eMTB segment.

Gordon

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Up to Trek but yes, it could. It's rather unique too, being a true XC weapon that's an eMTB. Most are trail or Enduro. Also possible that they have more plans for the TQ motor. It's been well received so a new e-calibre and a light e-enduro could feature that motor....

It seems Trek are carving a path to dominance in the light weight eMTB segment.

Gordon
I wouldn't be surprised at all if these new light weight motors move into all categories of bikes in the next year or so.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There are a lot of very capable and good electric gravel bikes on the market now.

I had a go on one of these the other day, the model with the lefty, and it was a lot of fun - range would be bonkers if just rides in Eco

Most have lower power motors, but I doubt are as much as a laugh!

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 23.23.28.png

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm looking into what may be necessary to use the Fuel EXe as an XC bike for distance riding, as a lot of my rides are with non-powered users, usually on road or gravel bikes..

The recommendations from some of the other kids sound reasonable. But here's something to seriously consider. What kind of a pace do your roadie/gravel friends ride? If it's close to and above 20 mph, an eMTB will be harder for you to keep up.

May 4, 2018
Canberra
Didnt trek bring out a XC specific ebike with a faruza motor a year or so ago. Xcaibre or similar name. They had one at the LBS that got snapped up with a day of being the pride of the shop. Did you ever get a ride??? Ive never seen one on the trails.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles