Fuel EXe so who's ordered the Trek Fuel EXe?

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
Talk about a strawman, here is my post on Facebook:
You just seem to get very defensive when folks disagree? English is not my first language so maybe I am interpreting it wrong.

But to each their own; what works for me does not have to work for you and vice versa. I 100% believe that people have different wants and needs. And in some ways, bikes are subjective.

My BF rights a Norco Range VLT, and that bikes is a tank - but he loves it and wouldn’t wan’t to ride anything else.

I absolutely love the EXe after having tried a Levo, Kenevo, Orbea Rise.

I’m glad you’re loving the RM, they’re great bikes, and seem to have very little issues plus the extra year of warranty. Have a blast out on the trails :)!

rockymountaindude

May 6, 2022
Canada
It’s all good. I know it’s enough bike for me on many of those same trails. I get that it’s not the right bike for you, I have no problem with that. As you should be OK with other riders preferring the EXe, or a hardtail, over a Powerplay (or any bike really) on the sea-to-sky.

I can definitely say, if I was ~40lbs heavier, I would not be stoked with the range. I’m not gonna ask how much you weigh, point is what works for me might not work for you or others, even on the same trail. Not the bikes fault.

On another note, how’d you get below 50lbs? Rocky lists the Instinct Powerplay Carbon 70 at 50.8lbs - with Exo+ tires. I’d assume the Altitude is heavier.
Added carbon fiber handlebar, carbon fiber cranks, and carbon fiber rims and took out the cushcores.

Stock, my old 2018 PowerPlay Altitude C90 weighed only 47.6 lbs.

rockymountaindude

May 6, 2022
Canada
You just seem to get very defensive when folks disagree? English is not my first language so maybe I am interpreting it wrong.

But to each their own; what works for me does not have to work for you and vice versa. I 100% believe that people have different wants and needs. And in some ways, bikes are subjective.

My BF rights a Norco Range VLT, and that bikes is a tank - but he loves it and wouldn’t wan’t to ride anything else.

I absolutely love the EXe after having tried a Levo, Kenevo, Orbea Rise.

I’m glad you’re loving the RM, they’re great bikes, and seem to have very little issues plus the extra year of warranty. Have a blast out on the trails :)!
What’s funny is you seem to be projecting onto others what you yourself are doing. It’s obvious and goes without saying that each person will have a preference for a bike. We’re here discussing what and why we prefer something, and don’t need to justify ourselves.

What you stated was that I came off as hating the Fuel EXE. My posts have never stated anything like that and I have praised it.

I liked the Fuel EXE enough to buy it. In the end… we all know the story now. But if I felt like I could use a lighter duty emountain bike, the Fuel EXE is the first bike I’d turn to.

I’ve already discussed with Rocky the need for them, in my opinion, to put out a Featherlight PowerPlay. For all you older Canadians who played hockey like me, you’ll know exactly what that Featherlight references: the old Sherwood wood hockey stick.

I hope Rocky does come out with a lighter emountain bike and calls it Featherlight PowerPlay in keeping with the hockey nomenclature.

I think, in reality, we will just see evolution in technology where the full powered PowerPlays just gradually get lighter.

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
For all you older Canadians who played hockey like me, you’ll know exactly what that Featherlight references: the old Sherwood wood hockey stick.
I miss my ole Sherwood. I never understood why my nickname was the “Dentist”. I’m not a Dentist 🤔

06640013-05FF-4275-AB45-EC5E486C6251.jpeg

I could probably buy a new EXE if I sold those sticks. 😄

Last edited:

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy
And this is why I ordered it: Until now i am an "organic" biker riding a Liteville 301 MK 12 with 160 mm travel front/rear. I live in the middle of the alps with long step climbs and after 30 years of biking I start losing my condition to do those climbs. I love going down very techical trails and therefore I was looking for a bike the rides down more or less like my actual one (I am not the fast riding downhiller that shuttles up but the technical one that loves switchbacks and blocked exopsed natural alpine trails) but gives me that little push uphill (50 to 80 watt help on a 15-20% uphill climb). This is why I ordered it and hopefully I will get it in the next 3 weeks.
I will let you know how my experience is once I get it...
Cheers
Thomas

rockymountaindude

May 6, 2022
Canada
I can't understand why you thought a 140mm travel trail bike was ever going to be a capable on double black trails in BC?

There aren't many long travel mid power/weight Ebikes yet. Sounds like you should have been looking at something like a Pole Voima or Kenevo SL
I was going to upgrade the shocks.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
Take the air can off. Inside you will find bright orange 2.5mm "C" shaped shims screwed in with M3 flat head screws. You can remove either 2.5mm or 5mm of shims to allow the shock to go from 160 to 162.5 or 165. You will need to get shorter 3mm screws depending on the travel you choose.

There is a vid on YT if you search a bit.
Where are the volumn spacers in relation to the shims, when I unscrew the shock can?

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Perhaps your challenge is that you don't seem to accept opinions that differ from yours at times, or acknowledge facts. The Internet is an open place, not subject to gatekeepers or thought police. I posted here and on Facebook because the Facebook group is closed. I want people to see what I'm posting because I love mountain biking and the people in it, and I want them to see the actual experience that people have with this bike and other topics in the hopes that it may help them make decisions.

The Fuel EXE is not enough bike for what I ride. That is a reality. Just like entry or mid-level hockey stakes are not enough for me either: I will blow the rivets on the blade housing in less than 10 skates and the boot won't generally be stiff enough.

Not only is trail difficulty a factor, it's the rider on them. I consider myself experienced and I ride pretty fast. I hit blacks and double blacks out here, including on Cypress. I've crashed multiple times and may eventually lose my life to this sport if I keep it up. My point is that I need a bike that is built tough with lots of travel and that has a lot of power to get me up very long and steep climbs. The Fuel EXE, as much as I wanted to jump into the SL category, will not work for me. And that's fine, because it does have a market and I think it's one of the best SL eBikes on the market. Save for not knowing its longevity yet.

There are objective things here. Amount of travel is objective when it comes to Enduro riding, which is what I do: at 150 mm travel vs. 170 mm, given the same rider experience on very rough stuff, you will not be able to go as fast and can increase your chances of crashing.

For the record, my PowerPlay weighs just under 50 lbs. with 108 nm torque.
Yeah, the Fuel EXe is a trail bike afterall and not my ideal weapon for the rowdy AM gnar at all and I am running mine with 160 Zeb up front and a bit overstroked Topaz3 out back. Mixed general trail and local DH/FR jump lines, all good. But, when trail gets really rough and fast, I grab my full powered Rail 170/157 w/coil. I agree the range on Fuel EXe not great for longer trail rides as well. About 1.5hrs of trail riding is my top end unless stay in ECO the whole time, then 1.75-2hrs max. My personal issue with most ebikes <625 w/hr battery or less. Range not great for me on rides, especially over 1.5hrs. Have Rail with two batteries that I lug in and stash battery mid ride or kill Fuel EXe battery, then come back for Rail when done.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
LBS told me that according to Trek my ordered Fuel Exe gets delayed because of TQ. They want to improve something on their drivetrain before.🤔 Are they already starting to deliver Rev2 of their Drivetrain?
I haven't heard anything,but it wouldn't surprise me that they are making running changes to the motor as they discover new modes of failure.

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
I haven't heard anything,but it wouldn't surprise me that they are making running changes to the motor as they discover new modes of failure.
Has to be a hardware improvement anything else could be improved/fixed by a software update and would not delay the delivery.

Will ask the LBS for details if he knows more or maybe he notice some changes when completing the bike.

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
Have to correct. Bike delivery got postponed 1month again to begin of may. LBS told me that Trek admitted that TQ at the moment is not able to produce enough motors.

Imo it doesnt sound its because of high demand its more likely due to missing components they struggle to get from suppliers. If it was because of the demand the date would have remain static since all orders could have been processed prioritized by the order date.

I hope TQ can fix that supply bottleneck soon.

Anybody else here who has had a similar experience?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Have to correct. Bike delivery got postponed 1month again to begin of may. LBS told me that Trek admitted that TQ at the moment is not able to produce enough motors.

Imo it doesnt sound its because of high demand its more likely due to missing components they struggle to get from suppliers. If it was because of the demand the date would have remain static since all orders could have been processed prioritized by the order date.

I hope TQ can fix that supply bottleneck soon.

Anybody else here who has had a similar experience?
Plenty of Fuel EX-e in New Zealand. 9.8, 9.7 and 9.5 all on 20% off currently too. Very tempting!

9.5 = €4585
9.7 = €5510
9.8 = €6750

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles