Fuel EXe so who's ordered the Trek Fuel EXe?

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
Yes, Model 3. put a hitch on it just recently
High Five GIF by MOODMAN

Same car same color and soon same bike same color 😅

The Reverend

Aug 13, 2022
Melbourne
I'm a few months in now and have a much better view of the bike and some mixed experiences.

First off, I think this is an excellent bike / ebike. It's fun to ride, incredibly capable and rides like a very planted, fun and adaptable bike. On the uphill it like you've been training a LOT and are just very fit.

The power is enough to take the sting out of the worst climbs.

As has been mentioned, it won't keep up with a full fat ebike when they're on the boost / intelligent settings.

Ride it at your own pace and you'll be fine I find.

After 4+ months with it I have found the support level satisfactory, but it must struggle with my 107kg weight. This has to reduce range relative to someone at ~80kgs.

Regarding travel and geo, personally, it could do with 10mm plus at either end, making it 160mm / 150mm.
The geometry is balanced and quite progressive for Trek. Some of the adjustability from the standard Fuel Ex would be welcome, like the chip to alter suspension progression, and the size specific rear centre length. That said, it rides really well so it's difficult to imagine how much better it would be.

Issues / problems?
It definitely needs a bashguard as it'll tempt you into riding some chunky terrain at pace. I've already lost one chainring and chain.

The TQ display has needed replacement (all done easily enough under warranty).
Early on in ownership it's thrown up some error codes, been a little strange in power delivery on the odd occasion but that all seems to have settled down.

Some driveline creaking took a few efforts to resolve but Trek seem to have that solved now too.

It's got me considering whether for my weight it'd be better to have a full power bike but I don't want the noise, looks or weight.
Hopefully in time they're able to produce more power and torque without rinsing the battery in no time. As a first lightweight effort, it's mighty impressive.

Either way, all things considered, I'm very happy with it and would recommend it to someone looking for assistance rather than a rocket to carry them uphill without effort.

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
The only thing that worries me, is the range of it… I would like the possibility of at least a range of 75km and 1000hm.That’s why I am considering the new Rise 2023 with the bigger battery of +500W… for the same price also much better equipped, without saying the specs are better or not, but they are more expensive if you compare Exe 9.8 XT vs Rise team, both 10000€ in Belgium. XT drivetrain vs XT DI and rockshox vs FOX factory… I did testdrive on the rise 2022, 50km and 750hm ,90% in eco and 45% battery left…I am 75kg.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
The only thing that worries me, is the range of it… I would like the possibility of at least a range of 75km and 1000hm.That’s why I am considering the new Rise 2023 with the bigger battery of +500W… for the same price also much better equipped, without saying the specs are better or not, but they are more expensive if you compare Exe 9.8 XT vs Rise team, both 10000€ in Belgium. XT drivetrain vs XT DI and rockshox vs FOX factory… I did testdrive on the rise 2022, 50km and 750hm ,90% in eco and 45% battery left…I am 75kg.

The range on the Rise with the 360 wh battery has more range than the EX-e. I really hope TQ can improve their battery technology and make it backwards compatible. I only get about 20-25 miles and 2,200-3,000‘ elevation. I used a combination of all 3 power levels. With the Rise I was able to get 25-30 miles and 3-3,500’ elevation. With the Rise, I only rode trail and boost, I NEVER used eco. I am 175 lbs ready to ride (water, tools, etc.).

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
You are making some good points here. In terms of range, it certainly matters what you ride most of the time. my rides are usually 20 miles with maybe 1800 feet of climbing. I usually have 40-50% of battery left on my EXe and I ride in trail most of the time. weight around 155 lbs. I prefer the smaller battery and love the lower weight as I would not use the capacity most of the time. if I was riding much longer, steeper rides most of the time, then I would also look at a bike with a larger battery and the new Rise is not much heavier, nor is the new Wild for that matter.
something I also thought About was suspension. I always had Fox but with the XT build got the Rockshox. I have to say that the RockShock fork and shock are performing extremely well on this bike.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
View attachment 104295
Fuel ex-e 9.5. Nearly everything changed (dropper and cranks not). Mullet. 17.6 kg. Used for about 400 km now. Love it!
What's the full spec on that?

I also have a 9.5 with nearly everything changed,but it's nowhere near that weight.

I'm at 19.2kg with no pedals.

Fox 36
One up carbon bars
Magura mt7 brakes
Axs gears
Xt cassette
Dtswiss hx1501 wheels (quite heavy) 29 both ends.
Assegai exo+
Dhr ii DD
Stock cranks , dropper,shock.
Charge spoon saddle

souldriver

Jan 9, 2023
Berlin
What's the full spec on that?

I also have a 9.5 with nearly everything changed,but it's nowhere near that weight.

I'm at 19.2kg with no pedals.

Fox 36
One up carbon bars
Magura mt7 brakes
Axs gears
Xt cassette
Dtswiss hx1501 wheels (quite heavy) 29 both ends.
Assegai exo+
Dhr ii DD
Stock cranks , dropper,shock.
Charge spoon saddle
  • Lyrik RCT3 DebonAir Airshaft 160mm non-boost
  • PRO Korjak Carbon handlebar 770mm, Newmen SL stem 40mm, LizardSkins DSP 32.3
  • XTR-Brakes: front 4-piston, rear 2-piston
  • Eagle XO1 Trigger, XO1 rear derailleur, XO1 chain and XO1 cassette 10-50
  • Front wheel: 29" non boost, Tune hub, Newmen SL A.30 rim, DT Aerolite spokes, XT disc 203mm, Wolfpack Trail (875 g), tubeless
  • Rear wheel: 650B", DT 240s hub, Newmen SL A.30 rim, DT Aerolite spokes, XT disc 180mm, Continental Mountain King (705g), tubeless
  • BikeYoke SAGMA saddle
  • BikeYoke alpha dropper remote trigger
  • Supercaz Smash pedals

Frame is a size L

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
  • Lyrik RCT3 DebonAir Airshaft 160mm non-boost
  • PRO Korjak Carbon handlebar 770mm, Newmen SL stem 40mm, LizardSkins DSP 32.3
  • XTR-Brakes: front 4-piston, rear 2-piston
  • Eagle XO1 Trigger, XO1 rear derailleur, XO1 chain and XO1 cassette 10-50
  • Front wheel: 29" non boost, Tune hub, Newmen SL A.30 rim, DT Aerolite spokes, XT disc 203mm, Wolfpack Trail (875 g), tubeless
  • Rear wheel: 650B", DT 240s hub, Newmen SL A.30 rim, DT Aerolite spokes, XT disc 180mm, Continental Mountain King (705g), tubeless
  • BikeYoke SAGMA saddle
  • BikeYoke alpha remote trigger
  • Supercaz Smash pedals

Frame is a size L
ha - my rear tyre weighs only slightly less than both your tyres put together

cshumphries

Jan 25, 2020
New Zealand
Hi - I have just ordered a 9.7 in Galactic Grey to Black Fade - am going to cover with ride wrap. Looking for recommendations for gloss or matte wrap? The pictures of the 9.7 colour on the Trek Website look matte - can anyone with a 9.7 in that colour confirm?

Free_Tibet

Aug 30, 2022
Australia
Hi - I have just ordered a 9.7 in Galactic Grey to Black Fade - am going to cover with ride wrap. Looking for recommendations for gloss or matte wrap? The pictures of the 9.7 colour on the Trek Website look matte - can anyone with a 9.7 in that colour confirm?
I have that exact bike and I wrapped mine using Gloss. For me the paintwork is a bit metallic and what I considered to be on the gloss side of things. I am very happy with the way it looks. (I am in Australia and purchased my kit via a local company called Frameskin). I also purchased some extra film to go around any exposed bottom bracket areas as I found the topcoat seems very soft and was showing scuffing and scatches very readily. Hope this helps.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I have that exact bike and I wrapped mine using Gloss. For me the paintwork is a bit metallic and what I considered to be on the gloss side of things. I am very happy with the way it looks. (I am in Australia and purchased my kit via a local company called Frameskin). I also purchased some extra film to go around any exposed bottom bracket areas as I found the topcoat seems very soft and was showing scuffing and scatches very readily. Hope this helps.
Any pics?

Free_Tibet

Aug 30, 2022
Australia
Any pics?
Apologies, I haven't taken many pics of my bike... I will clean the bike on the weekend and try and get some good shots outside in decent lighting. But here are a couple of random (indoor) pics I currently have on my phone. The one with the wheels off looks very shiny but that is due to the ceiling downlights on max as it is when I was actually finishing applying the protective film. Outdoors in sunlight the gloss film looks quite balanced and not too glossy (in my opinion). There is one close-up to try and show the speckled finish of the (grey) paintwork. Hope this helps.

20230113_085529.jpg 20221007_175507.jpg 20221009_174348.jpg

cshumphries

Jan 25, 2020
New Zealand
Apologies, I haven't taken many pics of my bike... I will clean the bike on the weekend and try and get some good shots outside in decent lighting. But here are a couple of random (indoor) pics I currently have on my phone. The one with the wheels off looks very shiny but that is due to the ceiling downlights on max as it is when I was actually finishing applying the protective film. Outdoors in sunlight the gloss film looks quite balanced and not too glossy (in my opinion). There is one close-up to try and show the speckled finish of the (grey) paintwork. Hope this helps.

View attachment 104513 View attachment 104514 View attachment 104515
Thanks that was really helpful

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia

View attachment 104513 View attachment 104514 View attachment 104515
Mate, absolutely nothing wrong with those pics!

I really like the look and shape of these bikes. Keen to see the new Transition Relay too but one of these is on the list of possible buys for sure.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
The range on the Rise with the 360 wh battery has more range than the EX-e. I really hope TQ can improve their battery technology and make it backwards compatible. I only get about 20-25 miles and 2,200-3,000‘ elevation. I used a combination of all 3 power levels. With the Rise I was able to get 25-30 miles and 3-3,500’ elevation. With the Rise, I only rode trail and boost, I NEVER used eco. I am 175 lbs ready to ride (water, tools, etc.).
Why is that? The Rise has more power, you’d think it has less range!

How do you like it compared to the Rise? I am considering a switch from Rise to EXe.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

How do you like it compared to the Rise? I am considering a switch from Rise to EXe

I have a friend with a rise m20, we ride a lot together. When I first got the exe it would use a lot more battery than my friend on the rise riding along side me, and I think out of the box the exe in eco mode is set to a higher level of assist than the rise in its lowest mode. I adjusted the exe eco mode down from 100% assist to 60% assist, (which I think is similar to the out of the box eco mode for the rise - but its hard to tell because the shimano app doesnt give actual assist percentages, just a scale from 1 to 10) and now the two bikes pretty much match each other in terms of battery usage on a ride, as long as the ride is mostly done in a combination of eco & mid with only the occasional use of max.

I think cell4soul is correct in that when in the higher power settings the exe uses the battery more than the rise in its highest mode, which is odd as the rise max power is 350w when the exe is 300w,so you would expect it to be the other way round. I think there is something odd going on with the exe power delivery in the highest power settings, hope that TQ sort this in a firmware update, because logically it should be able to go further given the lower overall max power of the exe.

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
Why is that? The Rise has more power, you’d think it has less range
Rise is sandbagging. Mentioned that already somewhere else here in the forum. A german bike magazin measured the battery of the rise. Its close to 400wh not 360wh as labled. On the other hand tq lables it 360wh but its actually 350wh.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Rise is sandbagging. Mentioned that already somewhere else here in the forum. A german bike magazin measured the battery of the rise. Its close to 400wh not 360wh as labled. On the other hand tq lables it 360wh but its actually 350wh.
that would explain a lot, but it seems to contradict various range tests that other mags have done on the exe vs the rise, where they come out with broadly similar ranges in boost/max mode, for example.

1673606228637.png

This is from the Flow MTB review of the exe ( 2023 Trek Fuel EXe Review | This brand new lightweight e-MTB is the stealthiest we've ever tested)

Last edited:

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
that would explain a lot, but it seems to contradict various range tests that other mags have done on the exe vs the rise, where they come out with broadly similar ranges in boost/max mode, for example.

View attachment 104525

This is from the Flow MTB review of the exe ( 2023 Trek Fuel EXe Review | This brand new lightweight e-MTB is the stealthiest we've ever tested)
This tests are not apples to apples. For example the modes are not even equal regarding max watts. So its possible that you get a lower range on a bike where the eco mode is at higher power. This tests are good to get a feeling for the bike or clicks😉

But if you want to compare the range accross several bikes then lab tests are the way to go. Most important metric is the drive train efficiency. In general the higher the efficiency the more range you will get out of a battery. The tuning of the motor then is just trade in range for power or vise versa.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

How do you like it compared to the Rise? I am considering a switch from Rise to EXe.

I rode the Rise for 1 year and never used eco. I’ve been on the EXe for about 3 months. I have tried different settings on the EXe. Using a combination of eco quite a bit, I only do about 20 miles on the EXe with 15% or so battery left. With the Rise I did 28 miles ever using trail. This is real world testing. Rob had a similar experience between the Shuttle SL and the EXe. The Shuttle had significantly more range.
of that, my battery is down

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles