Fuel EXe New SRAM AXS Transmission for the Trek Fuel EXe 9.7?

ZillaG

Nov 15, 2022
Cary, NC USA
I installed a SRAM AXS derailleur+shifter on my otherwise stock 9.7. Now 'm considering putting the SRAM AXS X0 Transmission. What else do I need to make this work?
  • XD driver - can I just replace the current Shimano driver?
  • Different cranks?
  • Different chainring?
Whether it's a good idea to do this is beside the point here. TIA!

speed300

Dec 2, 2022
Phoenix, AZ, USA
A couple folks (including myself) looking at the same thing. Macbeth is closest afaik, see this page: Fuel EXe - Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

AFAIK the TT-specific direct mount chainring for the TQ motor won't be available until ~June. You could theoretically find a TQ-compatible SRAM spider that would connect to the TT-specific chainring, but I haven't been able to find that spider anywhere either.

Macbeth just ordered the 34T e-13 direct mount chainring and used that. He said the fit was good but we're waiting on a ride report.

If it works great then, we need (at least):
  • 34T e13 TQ direct mount chainring (pretty sure I have 32T)
  • TT shifter, chain, derailleur, cassette
  • XD driver for your specific hub

ZillaG

Nov 15, 2022
Cary, NC USA
A couple folks (including myself) looking at the same thing. Macbeth is closest afaik, see this page: Fuel EXe - Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

AFAIK the TT-specific direct mount chainring for the TQ motor won't be available until ~June. You could theoretically find a TQ-compatible SRAM spider that would connect to the TT-specific chainring, but I haven't been able to find that spider anywhere either.

Macbeth just ordered the 34T e-13 direct mount chainring and used that. He said the fit was good but we're waiting on a ride report.

If it works great then, we need (at least):
  • 34T e13 TQ direct mount chainring (pretty sure I have 32T)
  • TT shifter, chain, derailleur, cassette
  • XD driver for your specific hub
I was at a Trek store today, and their "expert" mentioned that the stock e13 32T can work with the new TT. What XD driver would I need?

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I was at a Trek store today, and their "expert" mentioned that the stock e13 32T can work with the new TT. What XD driver would I need?
XD body is hub specific, so you need the one that fits your hub.
My best guess is this one

but google it yourself it should be easy enough.

speed300

Dec 2, 2022
Phoenix, AZ, USA
I'm giving this a shot. Have an XO transmission on the way. Just going to try it with the current E13 32T chainring and crankset.

I have i9 355 Carbon wheels with Hydra hubs and a microspline freebody, so I ordered this XD driver (and end cap) from i9:
1681431400242.png

BuzzCanada

Nov 23, 2022
Canada
Wolftooth has TQ direct mount chainrings specific to T-Type chains. I am installed it on my Fuel and have got the XO Transmission. I can attest that the chain ring works great.

Here's the link for either a 32t or 30t. Note that your want the Drop Stop "B" for T-Type.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
All those with T-type cassettes, how much do you expect to cough up yearly with these chains and cassettes? The insane cost is keeping me away since I find it very convenient to be able to swap the smallest 4 cogs really cheap and therefore run an XTR cassette for 6-10k km

DethWshBkr

Jun 20, 2023
PA
Why
All those with T-type cassettes, how much do you expect to cough up yearly with these chains and cassettes? The insane cost is keeping me away since I find it very convenient to be able to swap the smallest 4 cogs really cheap and therefore run an XTR cassette for 6-10k km
Why not just run a Shimano cassette? I betcha it would work better. I run a Shimano cassette with my regular AXS group, and it comes as close as you can get to a full Shimano set as far as shift quality.

I highly, highly doubt the t type stuff would care at all.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Why

Why not just run a Shimano cassette? I betcha it would work better. I run a Shimano cassette with my regular AXS group, and it comes as close as you can get to a full Shimano set as far as shift quality.

Too expensive to experiment if it doesn't work

DethWshBkr

Jun 20, 2023
PA
Too expensive to experiment if it doesn't work
I'm only saying that because I have never been overly pleased with the shifting quality of my xx1 AXS group.

It shifted nice, but no where is nice as my m9100 with an m8100 cassette.

Just for fun I decided to put the AXS derailleur on the bike but with the Shimano cassette and chain, and it shifted beautifully. As close to an m9050 quality as you can get.
The only real difference between the SRAM groups is this new mounting style. The cassette widths and everything else should be exactly the same as I still has to fit in the same size frame.

BuzzCanada

Nov 23, 2022
Canada
I expect to cough up zero for a cassette. Check your chain for stretch often and replace when on the cusp. My cassettes last for thousands of Km’s before needing to be replaced. Checking and replacing the chain with the correct chain is the key.

BuzzCanada

Nov 23, 2022
Canada
I'm only saying that because I have never been overly pleased with the shifting quality of my xx1 AXS group.

It shifted nice, but no where is nice as my m9100 with an m8100 cassette.

Just for fun I decided to put the AXS derailleur on the bike but with the Shimano cassette and chain, and it shifted beautifully. As close to an m9050 quality as you can get.
The only real difference between the SRAM groups is this new mounting style. The cassette widths and everything else should be exactly the same as I still has to fit in the same size
Why

It would not work and for a few reasons. First off the distance between the rollers is different. As well, the new cassette is designed and built with different ramps. The new system can shift under load like a Shimano now. Mix and matching cassette and chains will not likely work and the shifting experience will defeat the whole purpose of the T-type transmission. Will it work ? Who knows, but I can guarantee you cassette mileage and chain wear will not equal the normal mileage you will receive from T-type parts. That’s my opinion. The new transmission shifts like my XTR under power and a nice upgrade. If you want a cheaper cassette go for the GX and GX chain. That’s just my opinion.

Colin46

Aug 11, 2023
United Kingdom
Great thread, I’ve just bought a 2023 trek fuel ex-e 9.9 xx1 axs and was going to purchase the new t type kit.

I just saw the new 2024 treks are coming with the t -type xx kit.

I know the chain, cassette and rear mech I want but can anyone send me a link to the correct crank arms I need to replace the carbon e-13 ones there seems to be a few different bb standards

thanks in advance

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
Hi

Just a quick question re the rear mech, when you remove the UDH and the bolt. do you remove the washer too?

presumably the bearings and the parts associated with the pivot all remain in place and don't fall out whe

thanks in advance
Yeah, you remove everything to do with the UDH including the washer this is all replaced by a bush frame insert (part No5 in the linked PDF), don't worry, the bearing wont fall out and there is no spacer to fall out ether.

Colin46

Aug 11, 2023
United Kingdom
Just an update I've installed the new T type XX transmission on to my Fuel EX-E 9.9 and it all works perfectly, really easy installation.

I have left the stock front chainring on which came with the bike (32T sram ring on spider) as I couldn't figure out how to get the retention ring off (I know now) and it works perfectly so it doesn't look like you need a T-type specific front ring for the system to work.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
Just an update I've installed the new T type XX transmission on to my Fuel EX-E 9.9 and it all works perfectly, really easy installation.

I have left the stock front chainring on which came with the bike (32T sram ring on spider) as I couldn't figure out how to get the retention ring off (I know now) and it works perfectly so it doesn't look like you need a T-type specific front ring for the system to work.

Are you using the AXS battery on the derailleur or did you hard wire it into the EX-E main battery? Just curious. I’ve got an EX-E and am contemplating the new AXS.

Colin46

Aug 11, 2023
United Kingdom
Are you using the AXS battery on the derailleur or did you hard wire it into the EX-E main battery? Just curious. I’ve got an EX-E and am contemplating the new AXS.
Hi, my old xx1 axs was hard wired into the main battery when I bought it so I have done the same with the new one and used the same lead / dummy battery. if the lead wasn't already there on the bike I would have just used a battery.

Last edited:

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
my LBS already done 9.7 with X01 Transmission running original CR with no issues. Meshes with the T type chain smoothly. Im not on a EXE currently but on a Gen 2 SL, and im also running Transmission using the ori CR and crank arm. (sold my X01 crank to GX owner)
No issues over 2 months of weekly rides. Used to run AXS RD with XTR cassettes, cos they were 1/2 the price compared to X01...unfortunately with transmission, this is no longer possible

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
The T-type is a game changer for me, especially on climbs where I'm able to shift under load.
Agree 100%
Riding the EXe compared to a full fat, you are shifting gear way more, the T type really comes into its own as you do not have to think about easing off the power, just shift when you need to and keep on on cranking!

I run the wolf tooth t type specific chain ring and it works perfectly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles