Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Thanks for your adviced, so as you means must have 230 diameter eye to eye, if not the chain stay length could be out, am I right?

You have to find a shock with the 230 diameter thats the most imported for it to fit.

The other value is called stroke and can be changed with tokens so if you only find a stroke with exempel 230x62.5 you remove a token to get 60 stroke for exampel.

I'm not very good at explaining, but I hope you understand

Tony tan

Sep 4, 2022
Malaysia
You have to find a shock with the 230 diameter thats the most imported for it to fit.

The other value is called stroke and can be changed with tokens so if you only find a stroke with exempel 230x62.5 you remove a token to get 60 stroke for exampel.

Ok, Bro, thank you very much for your helpful answers, I'll take notes on this.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside

Eye to eye is 230mm length not diameter (y)
And generally you add spacers to reduce stroke not remove them .
Nearly there thou :)

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Thanks for your adviced, so as you means must have 230 diameter eye to eye, if not the chain stay length could be out, am I right?
No, it just won't fit.

230mm is eye to eye so you need that length shock to fit into the frame between the rocker and base mount. Next number is stroke (standard stroke on a Rail is 57.5mm) You can use 60mm or 62.5mm shock with a travel reducer. 230x60 will offer around 10-15mm more rear travel.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Looking for some feedback from Jade X owners.
I am planning on finally upgrading the stock Delux shock on my high milage (but still favorite) Rail 7. As it’s old and my second bike I’m not in for spending a fortune. I have found a Jade X and a Super Delux Thru Shaft both at a decent price. I have read good and bad about both and am usually more of an air shock fan. However I’m interested to try a coil shock on the Trek.
Anybody who has run both, what would you choose if you were doing it again?
I swapped at Christmas after two years of riding that awful thrushaft. Well the bottom seal finally gave way so I had an excuse!

I'm on a M 2021, 60*230, hardware from J-Tech as he makes a nice mounting kit (and will sell you the shims to tune it) I weigh 92kg, running a DVO 550lb spring the sag is perfect. However...

It's very lightly damped. I've had to significantly firm up the base valve in both compression and rebound, because it's a DVO it was easy to do with basic tools. DVO sent me specs on a firmer tune, and if that wasn't enough another that was firmer still. I ended up going all the way. I've also lightened up the lockout lever significantly so it's off/trail/pedal. The mod is incredibly easy to do. All the service parts are readily available + cheap so you can service it yourself.

I'm extremely happy with it, it's got that taught, controlled, bottomless feeling you get from a good coil shock. But dosen't feel harsh or pack up at all.

Mlopez

Jun 5, 2020
Córdoba, Spain
Finally got correct mounting hardware, fits great on Med frame with Reb adjuster on rear at the bottom. Mine came with the LS spring too.
For those asking about the stroke printed on the Jade they are a standard 65mm but use the bottom spring perch to alter stroke by supplying diff thicknesses for application.
Looking forward to trying it out, yes I fitted to a dirty bike haha, had just got back from ride and parts turned up.....couldn't wait ?

View attachment 36892
where can i find the spacer that you have placed on top of the spring

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Trek Rail 9.8 2024 is Trunnion or universal fit? Thanks
This picture on Trek USA site shows a Trunnion shock.

Screenshot_20231010_211812_Chrome~2.jpg

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
Happy Jade X owner here. Over stroked it to 60mm. Played with a few different springs, settled on 425-500 progressive and has a shop tweak the compression. Traction is insane, it feels very planted and superb small bump sensitivity. With rebound max’d out the bike has plenty of pop still.

I’ve got a 500lb LS and a green 475-575lb springs for sale. I’m in North Van but can ship to most places for a reasonable cost. Will post in the buy & sell, or DM me.

jlrenken

Oct 14, 2023
Iowa
Ok guys and gals. I’m new here and new to the ebiking scene. Thanks for the add. I just picked up a trek rail 7 GEN two and was wondering what shock set up can a person put on there to achieve the most travel in the rear. I tried going through the previous post and it sounds like a 62 and possibly a 65 mm shock. I have a large frame. Thanks for the input.

IMG_5157.jpeg

SandroRiz

Sep 6, 2022
Italy
A friend of mine (with my same bike, same color, same Size M) put a EXT eStoria 205/57,5 on his Rail 9.8 2022.
He's very satisfied and as you see, bottle cage is still usable.

I'm in doubt to do the same or going 205/60mm (if it fits); how much will the escursion grow from original 150mm?

Thanks

Trek-EXT-03b.jpg Trek-EXT-01b.jpg

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
A friend of mine (with my same bike, same color, same Size M) put a EXT eStoria 205/57,5 on his Rail 9.8 2022.
He's very satisfied and as you see, bottle cage is still usable.

I'm in doubt to do the same or going 205/60mm (if it fits); how much will the escursion grow from original 150mm?

Thanks
That will be a 230x57.5 a 205 shock won’t fit a Rail.

Rob put a 230x65 ohlins on his rail 9.8xt to make rear travel around 165mm. May pay to check clearances 1st

SandroRiz

Sep 6, 2022
Italy
That will be a 230x57.5 a 205 shock won’t fit a Rail.

Rob put a 230x65 ohlins on his rail 9.8xt to make rear travel around 165mm. May pay to check clearances 1st
OK sorry, I was thinking original was a Trunnion 205/57.5 but maybe you're right and its a metric 230/57.5
Anyway, EXT has all the sizes available... mounting a 2xx/60 is it possible to calculate the increased rear travel?

Screenshot 2023-10-15 194304.png

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
OK sorry, I was thinking original was a Trunnion 205/57.5 but maybe you're right and its a metric 230/57.5
Anyway, EXT has all the sizes available... mounting a 2xx/60 is it possible to calculate the increased rear travel?
I'm 100% right. Factory is 230x57.5 (you can check the Trek page) I own a Rail but Its easy to estimate..

If a 230 x 57.5 gives 150mm rear wheel travel and a 230x65 gives 165mm travel then you would estimate a 230x60 will give around 155mm rear wheel travel.

SandroRiz

Sep 6, 2022
Italy
I confirm that you're right :); just inserted my shock serialnumber... but, for my curiosity, what does it mean Shaft Eyelet Trunnion?

Anyway 155 it is not enough to upgrade my zeb to 170mm; 15mm of delta I'm afraid that are too much, better keep the natural geometry and wait if the next Rail will have more travel.

2023-10-16_084305.jpg

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
This picture on Trek USA site shows a Trunnion shock.

View attachment 126508
^^ it's not trunion

however it looks a bit more complicated, coz other models have ThruShaft

Rail9GXAXS_23_36992_A_Alt7

so the bottom eyelet is further from the shaft and then there is trunion mount at the top.

rockshox doesn't have 230mm (normal) shock with trunion mount (I think).

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
Anyway 155 it is not enough to upgrade my zeb to 170mm; 15mm of delta I'm afraid that are too much, better keep the natural geometry and wait if the next Rail will have more travel.
remember that 155mm at the back is because you can get more into travel (and SAG point is deeper as well), with 160mm at the back (with 230mm shock) even more, which upsets your geo even more. so don't tihink that 160mm at the back and 170mm at the front is good or better.

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
I confirm that you're right :); just inserted my shock serialnumber... but, for my curiosity, what does it mean Shaft Eyelet Trunnion?

I put a 170mm air spring in mine with the stock air shock, then later went to a Jade X coil at 57.5. Since then I changed the collar to allow for 60mm stroke. This was with the mono link in the low position.

Earlier this summer I swapped the 29" rear wheel for a 27.5" and set the mono link in the high position.

I have butchered, abused and completely disregarded the original geometry of the bike and it's so much more fun to ride now. I live at the bottom of a large, very steep and technical trail net work where the mullet version seems to thrive.

RS Air Shafts are not expensive and easy to change so go ahead and play with it. You can often change the stroke of the rear shock. You aren't going to break the bike and you might find, like I did, you can get the bike dialled in perfectly for your riding and terrain.

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
I have ridden 170mm on the front of my Rail for the past 3.5 years, I highly recommend it.

I installed a Fox DHX2 (550lb spring) on my large Rail 9.8XT, stroke was reduced to 62.5mm (mino link high position) to be safe on clearance and reduce pedal strikes (along with 155mm cranks).

I also noticed that Rockshox thru-shaft are no longer speced on US Rail bikes, last one I saw was from December 2022.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
^^ it's not trunion

however it looks a bit more complicated, coz other models have ThruShaft

so the bottom eyelet is further from the shaft and then there is trunion mount at the top.

rockshox doesn't have 230mm (normal) shock with trunion mount (I think).
"^^ it's not trunion" ...

... but "there is trunion mount at the top".

Oh.

Last edited:

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
"^^ it's not trunion" ...

... but "there is trunion mount at the top".

Oh.
oh yes, it wasn't trunion on aforementioned pic.

please read more carefully, trunion is only on thrushaft shock which is Trek specific and probably difficult to get.
Can you get (does anyone makes) 230mm trunion shock from anyone else ? (or even from RS but without ThruShaft....)

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
oh yes, it wasn't trunion on aforementioned pic.

please read more carefully, trunion is only on thrushaft shock which is Trek specific and probably difficult to get.
Can you get (does anyone makes) 230mm trunion shock from anyone else ? (or even from RS but without ThruShaft....)
The RS thru shaft shocks used trunnion mounts on both ends (for shaft clearance at the bottom), and RS super deluxe ultimate (non-thru shaft) are trunnion mounted only at the top with the rocker. I have not seen thru shaft spec'd on Rails for almost a year, the 2022 models made a running change and stopped using them.

Fox makes a 230mm trunnion.
Model Year: 2024
Collection: FLOAT X
Standard: Metric Trunnion
Size: 230 X 62.5
Product Code: 979-01-091

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
hm.... i can't find it anywhere...

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
hm.... i can't find it anywhere...
I agree with you, I checked those sites and did not see it. That site doesn't list the product code.

This is the site I use. It lists 979-01-091 as metric trunnion mount but shows it as clevis mount?

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
I am 99.9% sure that the top trunnion sizes are 205x60 and 225x75
All 230 length shocks are standard shock example to eyelets .
You might be right. I have the feeling the Fox website listing for 979-01-091 is incorrect.

Edit: I called Fox and the listing was incorrect on their website. They are fixing the description and search results.

Last edited:

jlrenken

Oct 14, 2023
Iowa
I’m looking to put the fox float x2 on a large frame. Can anyone confirm that the 62.5 will fit or is the 60 the max?

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
Which large? The front triangle on the aluminum large (625w battery) is smaller than the carbon large (750w batery). You could install with 62.5mm stroke and check clearance with valve core removed, and install another pair of shims to reduce to 60mm if needed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles