Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
How is the clearance from the seatstay bridge to the seat tube on the ‘22 rail carbon? I have a L frame and it looks pretty close with the stock 57.5 shock fully compressed.
Do you ride in low or high mode? I swapped back up to high mode so should even be leas of an issue. Although its not installed yet waiting on the bearing tool to install the sleevs and spacers. I attached another pic. I dont think its going to be an issue on a large frame. Ive heard of issues with seat stay clearance with the 230x62.5 but not with the 230x60. The issue im more concerned with is getting 30% sag without going over the recomended 350psi. I do have a larger volume spacer just in case.

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
Easy peasy took the entire mounting hardware from the original Deluxe + and transferred over to the Fox DXP2 230x60mm everything fits perfect. I did have to buy the rockshock BU bushing removal installation too for $17. Seat stay clearance is more than adequate. This is on a large 2022 9.7 (carbon frame)

20221213_184606.jpg 20221213_184145.jpg 20221213_183846.jpg 20221220_085630_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Hondata

Aug 16, 2022
South West
Trek Rail 9.5 Size Large.

Will the 230x60 RockShox Super Deluxe Coil fit without interfering with the frame?

37adae3f-dsc06920.jpg

Same question about Ohlins TTX Air 230x60. Will there be a collision with the bottom tube? And in the case of Ohlins, its diameter at its widest point will not interfere with the seat tube.

TTX1Air_12_3000x.jpg

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
How is the clearance from the seatstay bridge to the seat tube on the ‘22 rail carbon? I have a L frame and it looks pretty close with the stock 57.5 shock fully compressed.
If you have the older geo and 625wh battery then it maybe close. If you have the modern geo and 750wh battery should be plenty of space. I'm about to fit a 230x60 Bomber for 165mm rear travel like Rob did.

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Trek Rail 9.5 Size Large.

Will the 230x60 RockShox Super Deluxe Coil fit without interfering with the frame?

Same question about Ohlins TTX Air 230x60. Will there be a collision with the bottom tube? And in the case of Ohlins, its diameter at its widest point will not interfere with the seat tube.
The only way to check is to test fit or measure. I would say the RS would be touch and go, the Ohlins should fit easier due to the much smaller piggyback but the outside diameter may be close.

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
In reference to the DPX2 on my 2022 Carbon Rail 9.7 there is no issue with clearance with the seatstay when the shock is fully compressed. Mine has the older GEO I have the 625wh battery not the bigger one. I probably have a pic somewhere but I took all the air out and compressed the shock by sitting on the seat and made sure as that was a concern for me as well. Also this is a 230 x 60. I have read that 60 is the largest you can go with out clearance issues. I want to say the 230x62.5 DOES have clearance issues. I'm almost positive I have read that in the past probably in an earlier post in this thread. Also another note worthy note. It has also been pointed out by others and I can confirm. If your shooting for 30% sag I had to put considerably more air in the shock. Fox recommends you start with your body weight in PSI and go up or down from there. I had to go up by 25PSI to achieve a 30% sag. AND I also had to add a volume spacer. I want to say it had the blue 86 I put in 102. All up weight I'm at a stout 250lbs. With the spacer I was pretty spot on as far as travel allowance. Now I dont do very large jumps but did do a couple of 2 foot drops and I'm not bottoming out the shock. Not sure if I would have bottomed it out with the other spacer either.

I will say for me and I may be Fox biased it made an immediate difference. It's Much more plush that the Select Deluxe + it replaced. I got mine used for about $200 and I would say it was definitely worth it. I wish I would have spent a little more and got the X2 as it's supposed to be considerably more plush than the DPX2.

20221220_085643.jpg

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
In reference to the DPX2 on my 2022 Carbon Rail 9.7 there is no issue with clearance with the seatstay when the shock is fully compressed. Mine has the older GEO I have the 625wh battery not the bigger one. I probably have a pic somewhere but I took all the air out and compressed the shock by sitting on the seat and made sure as that was a concern for me as well. Also this is a 230 x 60. I have read that 60 is the largest you can go with out clearance issues. I want to say the 230x62.5 DOES have clearance issues. I'm almost positive I have read that in the past probably in an earlier post in this thread. Also another note worthy note. It has also been pointed out by others and I can confirm. If your shooting for 30% sag I had to put considerably more air in the shock. Fox recommends you start with your body weight in PSI and go up or down from there. I had to go up by 25PSI to achieve a 30% sag. AND I also had to add a volume spacer. I want to say it had the blue 86 I put in 102. All up weight I'm at a stout 250lbs. With the spacer I was pretty spot on as far as travel allowance. Now I dont do very large jumps but did do a couple of 2 foot drops and I'm not bottoming out the shock. Not sure if I would have bottomed it out with the other spacer either.

I will say for me and I may be Fox biased it made an immediate difference. It's Much more plush that the Select Deluxe + it replaced. I got mine used for about $200 and I would say it was definitely worth it. I wish I would have spent a little more and got the X2 as it's supposed to be considerably more plush than the DPX2.

View attachment 103283
Looks to me that when the shock is compressed it will jam on the bottom of the water bottle.

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
Looks to me that when the shock is compressed it will jam on the bottom of the water bottle
I dont think that will be an issue. I have about 20 miles on it so far. I had the sag ring compressed to about 90% assuming if it had hit the rubbing /snagging would have made some sort of audible noise. So far so good.
I dont want to rule it out just yet though still need to do some bigger drops and jumps and may need to add another spacer. Not really sure at what percentage of fork compression I should consider adding another volume spacer.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I dont want to rule it out just yet though still need to do some bigger drops and jumps and may need to add another spacer. Not really sure at what percentage of fork compression I should consider adding another volume spacer.
Firstly, I did not say this:

"I dont think that will be an issue. I have about 20 miles on it so far. I had the sag ring compressed to about 90% assuming if it had hit the rubbing /snagging would have made some sort of audible noise. So far so good."

Secondly, I was talking about the water bottle.

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
Firstly, I did not say this:

"I dont think that will be an issue. I have about 20 miles on it so far. I had the sag ring compressed to about 90% assuming if it had hit the rubbing /snagging would have made some sort of audible noise. So far so good."

Secondly, I was talking about the water bottle.
I think its a bug in the software / mobile version of this site. I still cant back out "your comment" even on the desktop. Obviously you didnt say it. I backed space and it put you in the quote and couldn't cut and paste out of it. Secondly the water bottle does not interfere at all.

Last edited:

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
Looking at buying second shocks for our two 2021 Trek Rail 9.7's. Based on what I have read here and elsewhere it appears the size large frame has several non-rockshox air shock options (Ohlins, Fox X2 (if you are okay with the seat tube clearance), and several coil shock options. However, with regard to our size small Rail, I don't know if anything other than a new Rock Shox Deluxe will fit. Trek will not sell a thru shaft Rockshox Super Deluxe so that option is out. I am considering replacing the rear on the small frame with a new Rock Shox Deluxe ultimate. The new Deluxe Ultimate offers a linear or progressive can option which got me to thinking what is in the bike stock. Per Rock Shox Trail Head the rear shock is a Deluxe Select + B2, lockout force 430 lbs, medium rebound and compression tune and 2 tokens.

Has anyone dyno'd or pulled apart a Rock Shox Deluxe Select + rear shock to determine if Trek did a custom tune on the Rail Shocks ?

Does anyone know if the out of the box tune on a new linear or progressive rear Ultimate deluxe compares to the existing 2021 Deluxe Select + currently on the bike?

Any options other than sticking to Rockshox Deluxe that will fit on a size small frame ?

Thanks,

VM

SandroRiz

Sep 6, 2022
Italy
Trek will not sell a thru shaft Rockshox Super Deluxe so that option is out. I

Any options other than sticking to Rockshox Deluxe that will fit on a size small frame ?

Same question for a Rail 2022 size M. My Select+ is meh... and seems coil is unworkable...

and btw... if I let service my >150hours shock, do they have to pay attention to something, being a "custom thru shaft"?

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
Same question for a Rail 2022 size M. My Select+ is meh... and seems coil is unworkable...

and btw... if I let service my >150hours shock, do they have to pay attention to something, being a "custom thru shaft"?
Rockshox 2023 Deluxe Ultimate RCT easily fits our small rail 9.7, but a DHX 2 would not work in the small frame. The new Deluxe ultimate is a more plush shock than the Deluxe B2 select that came with the bike, I would consider just buying a new Deluxe C1 ultimate vs putting $200 in rebuilding an old B2 select.

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
Looking for some feedback from Jade X owners.
I am planning on finally upgrading the stock Delux shock on my high milage (but still favorite) Rail 7. As it’s old and my second bike I’m not in for spending a fortune. I have found a Jade X and a Super Delux Thru Shaft both at a decent price. I have read good and bad about both and am usually more of an air shock fan. However I’m interested to try a coil shock on the Trek.
Anybody who has run both, what would you choose if you were doing it again?

Tony tan

Sep 4, 2022
Malaysia
Anyone expert can advise me? due to my frame is rail S size, couldn't fit the float x2 230x57.5 due the solenoid valve hit the frame, on this situation still needed 6mm gaps, so I consider changing to DB Air-ll, but in the market size just have 216x57, so is possible to fit it? by the way I will adj the mino link too, and what issue can be happen?...cheers!

1679301064682.png

Last edited:

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Anyone expert can advise me? due to my frame is rail S size, couldn't fit the float x2 230x57.5 due the solenoid valve hit the frame, on this situation still needed 6mm gaps, so I consider changing to DB Air-ll, but in the market size just have 216x57, so is possible to fit it? by the way I will adj the mino link too, and what issue can be happen?...cheers!
No, it definitely won't fit.

You need either 230x57.5, 230x60 or possibly 230x62.5. Nothing else will fit. For something with a smaller piggy back look at the DVO Topaz

Jschlueter

Dec 31, 2019
Bentonville, AR
I've ran the x2. Much prefer the 21+ rockshox super deluxe thrushaft for my terrain. If you weight close to 200lb X2 will be at max pressure and not work well on the Rail IMO. Float X resi hits downtube and doesn't work even on a large gen3 frame.

Tony tan

Sep 4, 2022
Malaysia
No, it definitely won't fit.

You need either 230x57.5, 230x60 or possibly 230x62.5. Nothing else will fit. For something with a smaller piggy back look at the DVO Topaz
Thanks for your adviced, so as you means must have 230 diameter eye to eye, if not the chain stay length could be out, am I right?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles