Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
230x60 ^^

I see that Topaz 2 230x60 should fit then
1665153047093.png

what about 230x65mm (or at least 62.5)? do you think there is a space for additional 5mm? (and flip chip in high position)

Last edited:

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
I picked up a Large Rail 9.7 several weeks ago and not very satisfied with the stock suspension. Im just looking for opinions on what is the latest consensus on front and rear shocks. Just doing regular trails nothing crazy. Not doing any major downhill stuff or huge jumps or gaps. Im just looking for a nice super squish that works. The stock Domain fork it feels a bit harsh for me I have spent countless hours trying to dial it in. I'm afraid to go above 30% sag with out using any tokens. Just not sure if it's worth upgrading the tokens / RC charger. Anyone feel the same are you guys using any tokens and going above 30% on the sag?

Are most people going with the Zeb or Fox 38? I don't have a preference to any particular brand my preference is to softer plusher ride. How about the rear is there a goto shock that fits and just works with out a lot of fiddling around? I do like a very plush and soft ride.

Last edited:

Boltdude

Jan 18, 2022
California, USA
So the Zeb and Jade X upgrade are a fantastic combo on my 9.7 XL. I can bomb down chunky sections faster, with increased confidence. My settings are dialed pretty firm as it feels more responsive. It's definitely a bit plusher than stock, but I personally think $2K of upgrades might be a bit of overkill for what you have described. I might recommend starting with a coil then going the RC charger route (or vice versa). This will give you a lot bang for your buck.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Bro can you advise me? You upgraded the fox36 need to changed head set or anything?

since trek runs with the dimensions 230x62.5 and the dhx2 coil is only sold in the dimension 230x60, you have to remove a spacer so you get a 62.5 stroke.

then you also have to change the hardware on the coil from trunnion to metric. if you live in england it is possible to buy dhx2 from tftuned with ready trunnion hardware

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have Rockshox Deluxe Select+ with tuned Megneg, works great.

But you don't watch cheap shit like that, you'll be much happier if you spend at least £/$/€500.
getmecoat.gif

Edit 05 Nov 2022: Got to eat my words. Just bought an Ohlins TTX22m.2 ;)

Last edited:

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
I think I read some posts on here about over stroking the Rail. I have a 2021 Large with a Jade X, thinking of going from 57.5mm to 60mm. It looks like I clear the frame but hard to be certain. Anyone done this?

zerofunds

Nov 30, 2020
New Zealand
I think I read some posts on here about over stroking the Rail. I have a 2021 Large with a Jade X, thinking of going from 57.5mm to 60mm. It looks like I clear the frame but hard to be certain. Anyone done this?
60mm works no problem, 62.5mm works on an alloy large but I think 60mm is the sweet spot

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
In my undertanding the rear frame cross "beam" and seat tube are same in all sizes. So 65mm travel shock fits when mino link high. When mino link low 60 mm is really close but should not hit the seat tube (depending on manufacturing tolerances)

The frame size mainly affects the room for nitrogen can when suspension is fully compressed as the lower frame tube/battery tube is steeper angled from the bb.

If there are People with small frames i would be happy to see verification if you have the possibility to do so?

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
I'm just a noob so excuse my nativity Just curious I'm in the boat where I'm not happy with the performance of rear shock on my 9.7 Rail (RockShox Deluxe Select+, 230mm x 57.5mm) apparently neither are a lot of folks on here hence 16page thread. However why are people just not upgrading to the Trek Rail higher end shock like the (RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate RT3, DebonAir spring, Thru Shaft 3-position damper, 230mm x 57.5mm) it's designed for the Rail it's tuned for the Rail. There is no guess work no fitment issues etc... Why not is my question? Is it just not a good option or is it cost?

Please let me know the reasons why folks are choosing all these other brands and options besides the one's provided by trek in the higher end models? What am I missing? Are people going for the coil option because it's a softer ride, are you guys doing free ride jumps extreme downhill trails with your rails? I'm just trying to piece this all together. I know I'd like to upgrade my front and rear shock but not sure why I wouldn't just go with what's on the 9.8 to me that's a logical choice so help me fill in the gaps.

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
I'm just a noob so excuse my nativity Just curious I'm in the boat where I'm not happy with the performance of rear shock on my 9.7 Rail (RockShox Deluxe Select+, 230mm x 57.5mm) apparently neither are a lot of folks on here hence 16page thread. However why are people just not upgrading to the Trek Rail higher end shock like the (RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate RT3, DebonAir spring, Thru Shaft 3-position damper, 230mm x 57.5mm) it's designed for the Rail it's tuned for the Rail. There is no guess work no fitment issues etc... Why not is my question? Is it just not a good option or is it cost?

Please let me know the reasons why folks are choosing all these other brands and options besides the one's provided by trek in the higher end models? What am I missing? Are people going for the coil option because it's a softer ride, are you guys doing free ride jumps extreme downhill trails with your rails? I'm just trying to piece this all together. I know I'd like to upgrade my front and rear shock but not sure why I wouldn't just go with what's on the 9.8 to me that's a logical choice so help me fill in the gaps.
For the same money or bit more you can get öhlins or other proper air shocks.

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
But is Ohlins better? I saw a post recently where they showed the winningest racers and their gear they had a breakdown by components. One section had forks and shocks. For Downhill / Enduro type races Fox was the clear leader for Cross Country trail riding type races RockShox was the clear leader. Ohlins had a very small percentage. Suntour had a very small percentage and there might have been another vendor but it was dominated by Rockshox and Fox. I don't have any preference one way or another just doing some research trying to make a smart and good purchase decision.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I ran an Ohlins coil for ages and also tried a super deluxe ultimate air.
Both were great, I was actually quicker on the air but preferred the feel of the coil. I was very surprised how good the super deluxe ultimate was, even compared to the Ohlins.

Boltdude

Jan 18, 2022
California, USA

There are lots of articles, videos and forums out there debating air shocks vs coils. It's really a matter of personal preference. For me it boils down to the coil better absorbs big hits, is more supple and provides better contour holding traction as opposed to a "poppier" air shock. Let's be honest, coils also look pretty badass. Historically the added weight of a coil shock has been a major drawback but it really doesn't matter much on an EMTB.

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
I didn't mean to start a air vs coil war, i just oresumed we were taking air shocks. Öhlins coils are quality product also.

Fox and rockshox market their stuff a lot for mtb use. Öhlins is a racing shock for cars and bikes, so they might not spend money that much on mtb marketing.

Not staying anything is absolutely better than the other, but i have a certain undertanding that decades of racing experience tends to have some credibility behind it.
But rockshox might have a good product also.
I think ill just shut up now 😁

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
Has anyone put a 230x65mm shock in the rear of a carbon Trail? Is this not a good idea? Is it too much travel for the carbon frame. Stock is 230x57.5

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
Has anyone put a 230x65mm shock in the rear of a carbon Trail? Is this not a good idea? Is it too much travel for the carbon frame. Stock is 230x57.5
I have in alloy rail. Mino link needs to be high. Shouldn't the frame be same at least 2021?

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
Hey guys i have a couple of questions. I only have about 60 miles on my Trek Rail 9.7. I noticed quite a bit of fluid comming off the rear shock. Is this normal?

Im thinking of replacing the rear shock. To me this seems to be the weak link. But I found a 2022 Rock Shox Super Deluxe Select+ 230 x 65.5. It came off a 2022 Propain Spindrift Spindrift CF • Propain Bikes North America

It was a 180 / 180 travel Free ride bike. What is the travel of the suspension determined by geometry or rear shock???? Can you change the travel of the rear shock if so how? Does it have anything to do with the 230×65.5 dimensions?

Im assuming 180mm travel is to much for our rails correct?

Last edited:

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Hey guys i have a couple of questions. I only have about 60 miles on my Trek Rail 9.7. I noticed quite a bit of fluid comming off the rear shock. Is this normal?

Im thinking of replacing the rear shock. To me this seems to be the weak link. But I found a 2022 Rock Shox Super Deluxe Select+ 230 x 65.5. It came off a 2022 Propain Spindrift Spindrift CF • Propain Bikes North America

It was a 180 / 180 travel free ride bike. Is the gravel of the suspension determined by ???? Does it have anything to do with the 230×65.5 dimensions?

Im assuming 180mm travel is to much for our rails correct?
If you run a 65mm stoke shock on the rail you won't get 180mm. That depends on the frames leverage ratio. On the rail you will get ~170mm. Super Deluxe shock has too long of a Reservoir to fit on the Rail. The only ones that fit are the Trek only Trunnion mounted ones. I run a 2022 DHX2 230x65, many run Ohlins coils. You need a short resi to run longer stoked shocks on Rails.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
As said here: What did you buy your ebike this week?

DVO Jade X 230x60 for the 2022 Trek Rail 5. Now got to figure out what spring to buy, thinking VALT Progressive. Bike is 25kg, I am ~84 kg ready to ride, I like a plush ride and can't get a lot of air because my left ACL is very 'second hand' so can't risk a twisting landing. Will ask TF Tuned.

Edit: cancelled order because decided to instead tune existing shock before going coil.

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Hey Guy's - I just installed a RS Super Deluxe Ultimate on my Rail 7, looks like it won't fit. I let all the air out of the shock, and the canister hits the frame.. When the shock bottoms, will it go all the way to end of the shaft?

View attachment 76820

That’s no bueno at full compression.
Only Super Deluxe that will work is the trunion mount.

Was thinking about fitting a Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate MY23 to my 2022 Trek Rail 5 (Large) but seems that won't fit. But wondering if a Trunnion shock with specific mounting hardware could be mounted on eye-eye frame mounting. I think this would lift the shock by about 25mm which might mean the shock in full compression would no longer jam on the frame. Possible?

Edit: forget this question, bought an Ohlins TTX22M.2

Last edited:

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
Ok just looking for confirmation frome someone thats done this. On the rail you have some rear shocks with the trunion and others with the throughbolt design like mine. I have a 2022 9.7 its carbon. Before I go and do something that may jepordize something, can I get confirmation that I just need to swap over the parts from the RockShox to the fox and bolt it back up? Fox is a 230x60. I ordered a rockshox bearing tool to remove the sleeves and spacers.. I was gonna use a vice and some sockets but dont have one small enough for the ID of the spacers to push through.

20221210_102329.jpg

Kaip

Dec 8, 2022
Whistler
How is the clearance from the seatstay bridge to the seat tube on the ‘22 rail carbon? I have a L frame and it looks pretty close with the stock 57.5 shock fully compressed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles