Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
Hi guys I'm riding a trek rail 9.8 large and was wondering has anyone swapped the rear shock , I have always loved the fox float x2 but not sure if it the piggy back will hit the frame , or any other suggestions would be great thanks

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
39268F2D-405E-4131-B691-E02BD07D68AE.jpeg
Ohlins TTX 22 for me! Will work with XL and L frames and mine has mounting hardware for Trunnion frame. ?

Branny21

May 22, 2020
california
I installed a DVO jade X on a large and it fits. i had to swap the orientation for the rebound knob and its kind of hard to adjust but doable. Since i dont adjust it all the time its really not an issue. The jade X is butter smooth and so far shit tons better then the stock shock on the 9.7.

Arcadyus

May 19, 2020
WA
I installed a DVO jade X on a large and it fits. i had to swap the orientation for the rebound knob and its kind of hard to adjust but doable. Since i dont adjust it all the time its really not an issue. The jade X is butter smooth and so far shit tons better then the stock shock on the 9.7.

Well anything will be better. My vote would be the DVO Topaz 2. Our bikes weigh 50 lbs I don't think you need a coil. They are already very planted. Small bump sensitivity will still be a bit better with a coil but you'll lose some pop. What's more important to you? To me although it love coil shocks I'm going to buy a Topaz since the new X2 is too fucking expensive and complicated.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Can you post some pics please, especially of the modification.

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
Well anything will be better. My vote would be the DVO Topaz 2. Our bikes weigh 50 lbs I don't think you need a coil. They are already very planted. Small bump sensitivity will still be a bit better with a coil but you'll lose some pop. What's more important to you? To me although it love coil shocks I'm going to buy a Topaz since the new X2 is too fucking expensive and complicated.
I’m not sure if X2 fits at all to Rail due to OD of air spring cannister. There are not much space between shock and seat tube.

Branny21

May 22, 2020
california

Most likely a topaz will not fit. the piggyback is about the same size as the super deluxe and the super deluxe only went to MAYBE 50% travel before the piggyback hit the frame.

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
I tried installing a Topaz3 a few weeks ago, on a medium 9.7, the piggyback hits the frame halfway through the stroke.The Topaz2 isn't long enough, since the Rail requires a 230mm and the longest Topaz2 is 205mm. Unless you're going for shorter travel, or is the Trunnion longer (in general)? The JadeX might be the ticket, just waiting on a restock order to come in.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Any thoughts about a Fox dpx2 non trunnion? Had the Factory on my Trance and loved it. Am thinking there wouldn't be much that would interfere.
Is there a kit available for top and bottom eye mounts that I assume has through bolts and bushings?
Have only ridden the 9 once in slippery conditions so haven't noticed an issue with stock shock yet, felt plush with enough support.

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
I ride a medium frame Rail and I'm waiting for my LBS to get a DVO Jade X coil shock in from the distributor to check fitment. Hopefully it'll be this week and I'll report back have you fitted the new shock yet? Pics would be great thanks as I'm looking at the buying the same shock but have no idea about hardware and weight etc

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm going to the bike shop tomorrow morning, I'll report back afterwards.

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
Nice , I have been looking at coil shocks never had a coil before so would be interested in seeing how they ride was it a massive improvement?
Apologies for delayed response. Been too busy riding!!!!
What can I say?.......Night and day difference. It
seems to track the ground better, still allow me to be playful and get the wheels off the ground and performs consistently run after run. Definitely got the spring rate right. I was a bit worried but doesn’t blow through the travel no where as near as the stock Re:aKtive. Bike feels really balanced with the coil MRP up front! ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That is almost full compression, there’s plenty of room. Not sure if I’ll be able to keep the bottle cage though.
Just waiting for the right spring now.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yeah, Windwave are OOS of the right spring for my weight, but the LBS are trying to get a Cane Creek Vault which has the happy bonus of being £40 cheaper than the DVO.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Is that a 230x65 you’ve fitted and on a medium frame?
Medium frame, yes.
I requested a 230 * 60, but I hadn't noticed the size printed on the shock body. Too excited I guess. :D

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There is a possibilty it is a 60mm stroke shock. I know for certain that on the Marzocchi Bomber CR the difference between the 57.5, 60 and 65mm stroke is an external limiter. The shaft and body is the same on all three. The DVO may be the same.

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
Can someone tell me what jade x coil I need to order as i have no idea about sizes trunnion mounts ect ect thanks

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
There is a possibilty it is a 60mm stroke shock. I know for certain that on the Marzocchi Bomber CR the difference between the 57.5, 60 and 65mm stroke is an external limiter. The shaft and body is the same on all three. The DVO may be the same.
I think you're right. From my experience with the DVO Topaz3, they actually was able to limit the stroke internal with a spacer.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles