Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please

vertrkr

Nov 19, 2021
California
I put a '22 Fox Float X2 230x60 on my '21 Rail 5 XL.

Not much clearance when unloaded but works great.
IMG_0459.JPG

DubbyMcDubs

Nov 14, 2021
Sydney
Great thread. I have skimmed over it all but undecided on which way to go with my new 22 Rail 7 Medium. Is the DHX2 a better option over the X2? Will a DHX2 even fit in the medium?

I am not as concerned with increasing the travel as I am getting it to feel smooth through bigger hits and rougher stuff.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I have the Zeb Select+ and have ordered a 170mm air spring and the Push HC97, spent weeks trying to find the 2.1 charger upgrade but too hard to ship to Canada. It's going to feel like a whole new ride!
IMBY cycle in Coquitlam had a 2.1 charger on the shelf …so I bought it.
They usually deal in high end MTB stuff so maybe they can get it fairly quick. Email only though but they answer right away. Just google them.

DubbyMcDubs

Nov 14, 2021
Sydney
After reading over the thread again, it is still unclear to me if the 21/22 DHX2 or X2 will clear on a medium frame when fully compressed.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Cheers!

DubbyMcDubs

Nov 14, 2021
Sydney
Below are some reference images for anyone wanting to use a Fox Float X2 on a medium size aluminium Rail, in this case a 2022 Rail 7. The shock size is 230x57.5. It is at full compression with all air removed. Stock Trek hardware was used, and new DU bushes installed.

As can be seen from the images, the clearance is incredibly tight, therefore stroke lengths greater than 57.5mm are not acheivable. If you wanted to increase that, an alternative air shock or a coil option (Ohlins or Jade X) would be required.

With coil shock options, the Fox DHX2 has the same 87.1mm high (from eyelet center) control/resevoir/piggy back as the Float X2, therefore theoretically it would have the same limitations as the Float X2. That same measurement on the Ohlins TTX22 is only 42mm, and Jade X 73mm. For reference, this is the dimension I am referring to:

1644832225854.png

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:

Battman85

Feb 10, 2022
Wollongong
Below are some reference images for anyone wanting to use a Fox Float X2 on a medium size aluminium Rail, in this case a 2022 Rail 7. The shock size is 230x57.5. It is at full compression with all air removed. Stock Trek hardware was used, and new DU bushes installed.

As can be seen from the images, the clearance is incredibly tight, therefore stroke lengths greater than 57.5mm are not acheivable. If you wanted to increase that, an alternative air shock or a coil option (Ohlins or Jade X) would be required.

With coil shock options, the Fox DHX2 has the same 87.1mm high (from eyelet center) control/resevoir/piggy back as the Float X2, therefore theoretically it would have the same limitations as the Float X2. That same measurement on the Ohlins TTX22 is only 42mm, and Jade X 73mm. For reference, this is the dimension I am referring to:

View attachment 82117

I think you could probably actually go a little more on the stroke. Although it looks close, if you were to measure in a straight line directly down from the bottom corner of the resevoir you've probably another 10mm there. Food for thought...

i just mounted my shock at 65mm stroke. Will post in a minute.

Battman85

Feb 10, 2022
Wollongong

DHX2 just installed on my rail 7 at 65mm stroke. have just posted over in the DHX2 on trek rail forum. cheers

DubbyMcDubs

Nov 14, 2021
Sydney
I think you could probably actually go a little more on the stroke. Although it looks close, if you were to measure in a straight line directly down from the bottom corner of the resevoir you've probably another 10mm there. Food for thought...

i just mounted my shock at 65mm stroke. Will post in a minute.

Agree. Although I think it’s prudent to leave a buffer for any frame flex, if any. I’m not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze.

Oupy

Feb 22, 2022
Australia
Some great info in this thread, about to pull the trigger on a 22 Rail 9.8 in L and was looking for validation on the following:

Is it possible to remove spacers/install smaller spacers in the stock Super Deluxe Ultimate to achieve 230x62.5 stroke?
And would their likely be any clearance issues (minolink low or high)?

I'd also be looking to upgrade the fork to the Zeb Ultimate Damper and up to 170mm.

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
Some great info in this thread, about to pull the trigger on a 22 Rail 9.8 in L and was looking for validation on the following:

Is it possible to remove spacers/install smaller spacers in the stock Super Deluxe Ultimate to achieve 230x62.5 stroke?
And would their likely be any clearance issues (minolink low or high)?

I'd also be looking to upgrade the fork to the Zeb Ultimate Damper and up to 170mm.
No idea about the shock, I just put a Jade X on mine at 57.5mm.

I have put a 170m spring in my Zeb and it feels amazing. It allowed me to move the mono link to the low position and have the same level of clearance.

Boltdude

Jan 18, 2022
California, USA
No idea about the shock, I just put a Jade X on mine at 57.5mm.

I have put a 170m spring in my Zeb and it feels amazing. It allowed me to move the mono link to the low position and have the same level of clearance.
How are you liking the JadeX so far? What made you decide on 57.5 in the rear? I went that route as well (160 zeb up front) but also have a -5 clip to make the Jade 60mm that I have yet to try. Mono link needs to be high for me as I still get some occasional pedal strike on rock garden climbs.

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
How are you liking the JadeX so far? What made you decide on 57.5 in the rear? I went that route as well (160 zeb up front) but also have a -5 clip to make the Jade 60mm that I have yet to try. Mono link needs to be high for me as I still get some occasional pedal strike on rock garden climbs.
Loving the jade only had 3 rides so far but it’s everything I thought it would be. Rear end tracks like a train. I went stock 57.5 to not change too many things at once.
I always had to you high mono too but the fork bump gave me the same clearance and I like slack.

ckkone

May 21, 2021
UTAH USA
The TTX 22M 16 series is the more 'traditional' looking one with a normal piggyback, against the above. Just advise which you want/prefer, the performance is identical between them.

I have an EXT Storia coming for mine as i've sold my TTX, on a large frame. The only issue the piggyback is quite big so i'm not 100% sure it will fit at this stage. Have to wait and see...

So did the EXT Storia fit your large frame?

ricko

Mar 8, 2022
NSW, Australia
I went with a Jade X Coil 230 x 60mm for 156mm rear travel, and jumped to 170mm on the front courtesy of a Fox 38. Very happy first ride out, about to test next ride with the flip chip in the high position which I think should put head angle right back to where it was stock, but with increased travel. *note the 38 wasn't fitted for these pics
20220321_145703-01.jpeg
20220321_145711-01.jpeg

Oupy

Feb 22, 2022
Australia
So having a rail 9.8 on order i can only live vicariously through this forum...

Seeing everyone put longer travel on their Rails is giving me a travel envy. Is the stock 150/160 just not enough? Are people that are upgrading exceeding the stock bikes capability or is it just more of a want than a need? And is it entirely terrain dependant?

In Australia we have hills and definitely not mountains, is 150/160 likely to be suitable?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
170 38s are a fairly recent mainstream item - only a year or so. For many years 150 were seen as heaps of front suspension then 160 was deemed more desirable & now of course 170 is the goal. We all want the newest & bestest.
It's not really about the size of the hill that dictates what length front fork you need but the height of the drop.
For what it's worth my mates & I ride some pretty challenging grade 5-6 tech terrain on 150-160 & it's not the length of the front fork that makes us chicken out of some drops. I don't really know if the 170s would make me a better rider.
In saying that of course, if I was buying new I'd go for the 170s

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I just got my Jadex serviced. They replaced almost most of the parts under warranty. Rebound was bent/broken, shaft replaced as shims rubbed anodising off, shims removed, bladder replaced & something was broken inside that made my lockout not work.
If it was out of warranty I'd have been very unhappy.

For other owners of the Jade x I would suggest maybe not using the lockout on firm as apparently it can cause problems.

ricko

Mar 8, 2022
NSW, Australia

Seeing everyone put longer travel on their Rails is giving me a travel envy. Is the stock 150/160 just not enough? Are people that are upgrading exceeding the stock bikes capability or is it just more of a want than a need? And is it entirely terrain dependant?

In Australia we have hills and definitely not mountains, is 150/160 likely to be suitable?

I am in Australia. Increasing travel is free if you are upgrading the shock or fork. With a coil on the rear I can run a bit more sag and not run out of travel, and the extra at the front balances out the geometry.

Boltdude

Jan 18, 2022
California, USA

160/150 is plenty for me 99.9+% of the time. I suspect some who have extended travel hit massive drops and ride like pros and many others are hobbyist who like to collect the nicest best things that they honestly don’t really need. That’s part of the fun of it for many. Lots of buddies have the best guitars (and play like crap), the best surf boards, best golf clubs…Your 9.8 will be amazing stock and likely crush anything you throw at it. Upgrade suspension later if you really feel you need or you just like having the best stuff. Both are fine but don’t sweat it while you wait.

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
As others have said above it would depend on what and how hard your riding is. I mainly ride my Rail at bike parks now and use it for gnarlier local laps. Anything covering miles I’ll still use my analogue. I’m going to Morzine in July so my Zebs at 170 and Ohlins TTX at 160 are going to handle well out there. If I were you, I’d ride it as it is for a while and then you’ll be able to judge whether you actually need/want more travel. No point spending money before you’ve tried what you already ordered. You’ve made a cracking purchase tho, you’re gonna love it!

katoomkiwi

May 15, 2022
NZ
I went with a Jade X Coil 230 x 60mm for 156mm rear travel, and jumped to 170mm on the front courtesy of a Fox 38. Very happy first ride out, about to test next ride with the flip chip in the high position which I think should put head angle right back to where it was stock, but with increased travel. *note the 38 wasn't fitted for these pics
View attachment 85510 View attachment 85511
Did you need hardware to fit or was all the standard stuff God to fit it?

Mini Me

Apr 21, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
Has anyone had a chance to look at the dimensions of the 2023 rockshox coil to see if it might fit on the rail? With the HBO it’s looking like a decent option. I’m Currently on a large 2021 alloy rail 7, and have been thinking of trying DVO or Ohlins

Antti525

Jun 6, 2022
Finland
IMG20220606124109.jpg

This is the shock just resting on the bump stop and bump stop is about 18mm tall. The gap from shock to frame is about 6mm, so I think 57.5mm stoke will hit the frame too. Somebody need's to try it with the 57.5mm stroke shock to confirm this.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles