Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please

Nuckingfuts

Aug 15, 2021
Temecula, CA
203 front , not 220 ? I thought all rail , or at least 7 and up, come with 220 front rotor.
So 203 are enough as of trek. That’s nice to know

My Rail 9.7 as well as my girlfriends and buddy’s Rail 7’s all have 203mm Shimano discs. I have no complaints on the brake setup, work really well.

Seabird55

May 11, 2021
Vancouver
If you have the Thrushaft then probably similar performance but compared to the standard Deluxe that was on my Rail 7....it was a lot better. I only ran the DPX2 for a month until I swapped to a 21' DHX2

thanks …good to hear. Mine had the standard deluxe select + so I just put in a dpx2 tonight. Looking forward to trying it out

Seabird55

May 11, 2021
Vancouver
should add that theres lots of good information on this thread that helped me install the dpx2 on my 2021 med rail 7. i used the existing DU bushings from the fox but sanded down the lip so they were flush with the eyelets. once i did that it was pretty much a straight swap using the existing stock hardware.

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
Putting all the info I found in one post.

Trek rail 9.8 2021 Large Came stock with trunion rockshox shock which started leaking in a week.

Installed fox dhx2 230x65. Cannot run in low setting seat post hits. Reservoir clears in both settings.

bolts are 1mm shorter than shock + spacers
Fox mounting hardware. Upper shock bolt is 54mm shock width + 2x8mm spacer plus linkage = 70mm but 69mm bolt

Bolts

TR540755

TR599900

hardware
• Upper: 10mm x 54mm 803-03-311
• Lower: 10mm x 40mm 803-03-329

View attachment 66994

View attachment 66995

View attachment 66996

View attachment 66997

View attachment 66998

View attachment 66999
Are those bolt numbers for Trek? I can find the first one but not the second? What stroke length spring did you end up going with and spring rate? I'm 200lbs and trying to figure out what spring to buy for a 2022 dhx2.

Mark194

Nov 26, 2021
USA
Hey Guy's - I just installed a RS Super Deluxe Ultimate on my Rail 7, looks like it won't fit. I let all the air out of the shock, and the canister hits the frame.. When the shock bottoms, will it go all the way to end of the shaft?

Rail 7.jpg

Mark194

Nov 26, 2021
USA
That’s no bueno at full compression.
Only Super Deluxe that will work is the trunion mount.

thanks for the feedback, its the aluminum frame model, so its the standard mount, not trunnion

Anyone recommend an upgrades air shock? The stock one is under whelming...

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
It also depends on the size of tour frame. My Trek is XL sized aluminium (because I am too heavy) and I have new Fox DHX2 with 750lbs coil. Before coil shox I had Fox DPX2. Both of them fits perfectly (230x60).

F5F272DE-0525-4B19-9DE7-B67547F546AD.jpeg

Gropec

Dec 22, 2021
South of France
Hello, I went for the ohlins ttx, imo worth the extra cost, 60mm stroke and it works a treat. Rail 9.8 large.
Have you already fit the TTX22 on your bike?
I also have a 9.8 and i wonder if i ca use the bottom shock screw or if i have to buy the complete axle from the rail 9.7?

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Shillington, Bedfordshire
I also have a 9.8 and i wonder if i ca use the bottom shock screw or if i have to buy the complete axle from the rail 9.7?
Hello, I don't know, I wanted to have a shock I can just take off with all it's fittings, so I know have the original and all it fittings in a box, and I can just swap shocks over with no faff, not that I've taken the ohlins off since I put it on, it's a great shock imo, no faff, set n ride.
Here's a pic from todays ride.
20211224_131234.jpg

Gropec

Dec 22, 2021
South of France
Hello, I don't know, I wanted to have a shock I can just take off with all it's fittings, so I know have the original and all it fittings in a box, and I can just swap shocks over with no faff, not that I've taken the ohlins off since I put it on, it's a great shock imo, no faff, set n ride.
Here's a pic from todays ride. View attachment 78711
Thanks for your reply, my TTX22 is arrived at the shop, i will pick it up Monday and will see!!
Muddy time !!!

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I have a ttx fitted to a 9.8. It needed totally different mounts top and bottom from the standard shock. Tftuned supplied it all for me, they knew exactly what was needed. They do actually have everything listed on their website.
The bolts are a bit spendy, £27.50 each😱

Gropec

Dec 22, 2021
South of France
I have a ttx fitted to a 9.8. It needed totally different mounts top and bottom from the standard shock. Tftuned supplied it all for me, they knew exactly what was needed. They do actually have everything listed on their website.
The bolts are a bit spendy, £27.50 each😱
The TTX is already fitted on my bike, my supplier also gave me all top and bottom axles.

20211229_183324.jpg

Boltdude

Jan 18, 2022
California, USA
This thread has been very helpful informing my suspension upgrades to my Rail (9.7 XL 2021) so I thought I would post a few observations. Recently first upgraded to a Zeb Fork (Ultimate 160mm) followed by Jade X (650 LB DVO coil, 57.5 stroke with -7.5mm clip) and I’m pleased to report the combination is brilliant. Frankly I was a little disappointed in the results with just the Zeb upgrade and the old RS Deluxe. LSC was far improved and steering was more responsive, but it still was a rough ride and I really wasn’t any faster. Add the Jade and the results were undeniable. Long standing Strava times on long rocky downhill sections were destroyed on the very first ride, including one challenging black segment where I mistakenly left the compression setting in the middle as opposed to open. The combination is so buttery smooth and confidence inspiring, and will only get better when I dial-in my settings. If I had it to do over, I probably would have started with just doing the damper replacement to the Yari and saved a few bucks, but I’m starting to appreciate the Zeb now that it is paired with the Jade.

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
Help please… I’ve ordered a Jade X from my local suspension tuner. They refer me to my LBS to order the mounting hardware. My Rail currently has 897km on it, can’t I just reuse the hardware on the bike? I’ve read the post about Fox hardware working (local Suspension co is a Fox dealer too, I asked them on Friday if they have those part numbers in stock.
Can someone please explain what the issue is with the hardware? I understand the stock shock is Thru Shaft why does that change the bolts? Please and thank you.

Boltdude

Jan 18, 2022
California, USA
Help please… I’ve ordered a Jade X from my local suspension tuner. They refer me to my LBS to order the mounting hardware. My Rail currently has 897km on it, can’t I just reuse the hardware on the bike? I’ve read the post about Fox hardware working (local Suspension co is a Fox dealer too, I asked them on Friday if they have those part numbers in stock.
Can someone please explain what the issue is with the hardware? I understand the stock shock is Thru Shaft why does that change the bolts? Please and thank you.
Neither the stock shock nor the Jade would work with the thru bolt without adapters (an inner bushing and spacers on each side). Basically the mounting hole in both shocks is bigger than the thru bolt and needs a bushing to size it down. After removing the stock shock you could try to remove the the adapters/mounting hardware from the old shock and put them on the Jade, but this takes some effort and perhaps special tools. I also believe the bushing for each shock may be different and needs to be replaced regardless. I opted for all new fox mounting hardware and posted the part numbers on another thread. They work great and are very easy to install.

Last edited:

Boltdude

Jan 18, 2022
California, USA
Good luck, hopefully it’s worth the wait. Post your impressions once you‘ve run the Jade through a few rounds. For me it previously felt like my suspension was holding me back, now the weak link is clearly my skill level😂

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
More mental planning, the the guy at my LBS told me he only ordered the lower bolts (makes sense because of the thrushaft). Now I'm worried he should have ordered the top mounting hardware too? I don't have the tools to remove the old hardware. I'm quite convinced the suspension shop can sell me the Fox top part if needed but I can probably still add it to my Trek order.

I have the Zeb Select+ and have ordered a 170mm air spring and the Push HC97, spent weeks trying to find the 2.1 charger upgrade but too hard to ship to Canada. It's going to feel like a whole new ride!

Boltdude

Jan 18, 2022
California, USA
Oh, now I understand, you have a newer model than I do with thru shaft on top. The top of my old RS Deluxe was mounted top and bottom with the same style mount as yours is on the bottom. Therefore I needed bushings etc top and bottom. I have a Jade X metric 230, I’m guessing maybe yours unlike mine will be trunnion style mount top. I don’t have any experience with this type of mount but assume your LBS is all over what is needed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles