Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please

jlrenken

Oct 14, 2023
Iowa
Which large? The front triangle on the aluminum large (625w battery) is smaller than the carbon large (750w batery). You could install with 62.5mm stroke and check clearance with valve core removed, and install another pair of shims to reduce to 60mm if needed.
I have the large 625 W battery aluminum frame

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
I have the large 625 W battery aluminum frame
The large carbon can accommodate the 62.5mm stroke. If somebody else doesn't respond with first hand knowledge on the Al frame then I say you have to check with zero pressure in the shock. Are you buying a 60mm and removing shims? If you buy a 62.5mm you should buy a pair of shims just in case, they are inexpensive.

jlrenken

Oct 14, 2023
Iowa
The large carbon can accommodate the 62.5mm stroke. If somebody else doesn't respond with first hand knowledge on the Al frame then I say you have to check with zero pressure in the shock. Are you buying a 60mm and removing shims? If you buy a 62.5mm you should buy a pair of shims just in case, they are inexpensive.
I’m looking at a couple right now. It’s whichever has the best price. But I would spend a little bit more on the one that I know would fit for sure meaning the largest so I wouldn’t have to split the shock if not needed.

jlrenken

Oct 14, 2023
Iowa
I can confirm a 62.5mm will fit a 625wh large frame
I know I have just removed a fox dhx2 off a large frame with a 550 SLS spring
Cheap plug but it's for sale with around 20hrs on it 👍
I needed to know if the fox factory float X2 at 62 1/2 would fit not the dhx2.

Last edited:

jlrenken

Oct 14, 2023
Iowa
Can anyone give me a place in the USA that would sell the travel spacers individually and not in a package of 5. This is the style I’m needing. Thank you

IMG_5218.jpeg

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I have read every single one of these posts. 60 is the confirmed I was asking if anybody recently has done 62 1/2. Thanks
If you had read through them you would also realise there's sometimes a can fitment issue between frames as the X2 can runs extremely close to the seat tube not all bikes but some
Personally I find the X2 far to unreliable to use and would go for something else.

And here's the result of a two second search 😁

Last edited:

ThrottleAbuse

Nov 7, 2023
USA
I have a 2020 Rail 9.8 and have been going down this rabbit whole for awhile now. I run a push coil and valve kit in my Lyrik since day 1. I am very happy with it.

I initially wanted a coil to replace the shock. The more I look at everything for this frame geo its just not very progressive. So what is everyone that is not on the TTX22M.2 or DHX2 coil train running? Looks like the X2 is a really tight fit. TTX1 Air?

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I have a 2020 Rail 9.8 and have been going down this rabbit whole for awhile now. I run a push coil and valve kit in my Lyrik since day 1. I am very happy with it.

I initially wanted a coil to replace the shock. The more I look at everything for this frame geo its just not very progressive. So what is everyone that is not on the TTX22M.2 or DHX2 coil train running? Looks like the X2 is a really tight fit. TTX1 Air?
I found the same the rear end is not progressive enough for a coil if you ride hard
I use an ohlins TTX2 with all volume spacers fitted and a custom tune the TTX1 you could probably use less spacers as it ramps up quicker (y)

ThrottleAbuse

Nov 7, 2023
USA
I found the same the rear end is not progressive enough for a coil if you ride hard
I use an ohlins TTX2 with all volume spacers fitted and a custom tune the TTX1 you could probably use less spacers as it ramps up quicker (y)
The TTX2 fits? Ohlins doesnt show it as fitting. Maybe that is because the TTX1 works better with the smaller air can being more progressive.

jlrenken

Oct 14, 2023
Iowa
Its set at 62.5mm (y)
Nice. I have the x2 with 65mm travel setup seems to be no interference anywhere. I have 1/8” gap between the reservoir and down tube. I’ve hit some fairly big stuff doesn’t seem like there’s enough flex to cause any problems anywhere. At least not yet. But I keep an eye on.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Nice. I have the x2 with 65mm travel setup seems to be no interference anywhere. I have 1/8” gap between the reservoir and down tube. I’ve hit some fairly big stuff doesn’t seem like there’s enough flex to cause any problems anywhere. At least not yet. But I keep an eye on.
Tidy
The gab only gets bigger with compression at the seat tube for the air can so no worries there
They get close at the wheel side of the seat tube where the linkage gets close but if you run the flip chip in the high position all should be good (y)

jlrenken

Oct 14, 2023
Iowa
Tidy
The gab only gets bigger with compression at the seat tube for the air can so no worries there
They get close at the wheel side of the seat tube where the linkage gets close but if you run the flip chip in the high position all should be good (y)
I’m assuming now my flip chip is in high. Here’s a photo of the position it is in. Not really sure how to read it but with the set up that I am running I have no issues with clearance.

IMG_5327.jpeg

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
It was a size large.
I bought the shock from Tftuned who also provided the hardware, so not sure what the specs are.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
It's progressive enough, I'm running a heavily reworked Jade X and it's sublime on the big stuff. But obviously it's not a sofa any more.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Hiya, hey what size frame did you put this in and wat hardware/adapters do you need to install? Cheers
Put a TTX22m.2 230x57.5 coil shock + hardware supplied by TF Tuned on my 2022 Alloy Large Rail. Can not fault it. Am 80kg ready to ride with a 525lb spring. Tried a 500lb and much preferred the 525lb paired with Zeb A2 160mm up front.

HeyHey

Jan 9, 2024
Sweden
Did we reach consenus about if the Marzocchi CR Coil do fit a Rail?
Tried to search the thread and read some things about it might fit a certain year and size. But did not find anything about my Rail so here goes:

Has anyone tried to fit a Marzocchi CR Coil to a 2021 Rail 5 in large?
No need to gain more travel.

Big thanks.

ThrottleAbuse

Nov 7, 2023
USA
So I bought a TTX1 air for my Gen 1 rail. Mounting hardware got delayed and the bike got stolen that week. Sucks but here I am.

I bought a new Gen 3 Carbon Rail size Large and the mounting hardware for the TTX. I took the TTX apart to shorten the stroke and put in the wrong spacer. The info provided in manuals is lacking. I put in the spacer that reduces travel to 62.5mm. Oops. I had put everything back together and mounted it up before hearing back from Ohlins. I took all the air out of the shock and ran it through the travel. Clearance seems good on the shock from hitting anything in the front triangle area. Only thing that looks close is the linkage gets about 2 or 3mm away from the seat tube. I am adding a photo of the reducers and which on corolates to which travel simce I couldnt find it anywhere.

Screenshot_20240206_124518_Outlook.jpg

My big question is is there any other area I should be checking to make sure there is clearance? I dont mind the extra travel.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
I'm going to tread into murky waters next weekend, trying a Manitou Mara rear damper on my Rail5:oops:

back story, I have a gen3 Nukeproof Mega 290c (Wiggle discount frame set & self build) that runs Manitou Mezzer forks (180 travel) and was good with it's origonal-fit Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate damper (230x62.5). I tried a Manitou Mara (260x65) rear damper & found it excellent as back-back on the same day & trails in BpW...

I've been running the Rail with another Manitou Mezzer fork (set @ 180 because I can🤡) and an Ohlins TTX M2 coil damper (230x65 with 708Lbs spring🐷) for a few rides and found it good BUT how will the Manitou's Mara air sprung damper compare:unsure:

hopefully I'll get answers this weekend🤞

Rich.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That Mara has got a very long reservoir, what size is your Rail?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Did we reach consenus about if the Marzocchi CR Coil do fit a Rail?
Tried to search the thread and read some things about it might fit a certain year and size. But did not find anything about my Rail so here goes:

Has anyone tried to fit a Marzocchi CR Coil to a 2021 Rail 5 in large?
No need to gain more travel.

Big thanks.
It won't fit.

Bomber CR fits Rails with 750wh battery only

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I'm going to tread into murky waters next weekend, trying a Manitou Mara rear damper on my Rail5:oops:

back story, I have a gen3 Nukeproof Mega 290c (Wiggle discount frame set & self build) that runs Manitou Mezzer forks (180 travel) and was good with it's origonal-fit Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate damper (230x62.5). I tried a Manitou Mara (260x65) rear damper & found it excellent as back-back on the same day & trails in BpW...

I've been running the Rail with another Manitou Mezzer fork (set @ 180 because I can🤡) and an Ohlins TTX M2 coil damper (230x65 with 708Lbs spring🐷) for a few rides and found it good BUT how will the Manitou's Mara air sprung damper compare:unsure:

Rich.

Seems that from year to year Rail seat angles can change quite a lot, so no harm in trying it (in the garage of course).

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas

Rich.
Don't know much about the Mara shock, but one of the best rear air shocks I ever owned was the Manitou ISX-6. If you had the nerve and a couple of special tools, that shock could be manipulated to be as close to a good coil shock that I have run across. Overall it was a super tunable shock.

I agree with comments already made that the piggyback on that Mara looks way too long to fit an aluminum Rail.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles