The term "acoustic" explained.

Marley

Jan 28, 2021
VA
Ok, I'm a relatively new member and are in and out of bike shops on a regular basis and the hip guys with hats turned backwards, logos on shirts refuse to succumb to the term " acoustic ".

I'm trying to educate them but they keep using words like " hardtail " and " FS " and even " downhill ".

I recently had my acoustic bike in the shop for new chain ring and he called and said " your guitar is ready "........BLASPHEMY ! ?‍♂️

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Ok, I'm a relatively new member and are in and out of bike shops on a regular basis and the hip guys with hats turned backwards, logos on shirts refuse to succumb to the term " acoustic ".

I'm trying to educate them but they keep using words like " hardtail " and " FS " and even " downhill ".

I recently had my acoustic bike in the shop for new chain ring and he called and said " your guitar is ready "........BLASPHEMY ! ?‍♂️
What are we supposed to call them then? How do we verbally distinguish the difference? Sign language? Colour code? Nose wrinkle?

Things are getting very complicated.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
MTB, EMTB

Thats what I call them - acoustic is a term though that the media seem to be using more and more in mainstream MTB bikes.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Most people can’t tell the difference when they are standing still. Except for a few kgs they are basically the same. The occasional new eMTB rider shows-off a bit. Even I did it. Lately it seems to be more and more accepted on the trails.
A gracious slang term for MTB’s would be nice.
I put my cap on backwards but it keeps returning to the correct position.

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
We managed long enough without having to invent new names like Acoustic / analogue etc..just call them what they have always been called ..and save yourself a few letters when typing ..?
Someone’s got to flip open the thesaurus and come up with a new name …yup. Keep it PC. ?

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
You know, “nonelectric” seems to be the most spot-on word. It means literally what it sounds like, and Merriam Webster has “a nonelectric guitar” as a usage example.

“manual MTB” seems to sound like an adaptive MTB for those who can’t use their feet.

“acoustic MTB” is nonsense without the contrast of “electric MTB” to reveal it as tongue-in-cheek slang.

“clockwork MTB” is nonsensical in any case since both nonelectric and electric MTBs can be considered “clockwork”.

Last edited:

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
You know, “nonelectric” seems to be the most spot-on word. It means literally what it sounds like, and Merriam Webster has “a nonelectric guitar” as a usage example.

sorry mate.... non electric???

that’s just a bike isn’t it??

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
sorry mate.... non electric???

that’s just a bike isn’t it??

Yeah, but that’s also applicable for guitars. Yet they have the same need for distinction within the original term, which is both encompassing (new usage given technological developments) and specific (old usage given traditional technological limitations), depending on context. And Merriam Webster illustrates this exact usage for distinction.

Besides, bluntly-speaking... we have a political/regulatory interest in defining/using “bike” as a general, encompassing catch-all; as opposed to defining/using it to mean only a certain subset of throttle-less two-wheeled vehicles. Because the latter is what enemies of eMTB trail access are doing... so why would we chose to play into their semantic framing? I honestly don’t understand how people here can’t seem to see this.

Do you not have eMTB access issues where you are?

Last edited:

Sean1.0

Aug 2, 2020
Kernowshire
I guess folks can use whatever term they want ... if it's clear what is meant (and 'acoustic' / 'analog' etc ar perfectly clear in context) then I don't see any reason the get wound up about it personally.

There's enough thought gestapo about in life these days.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Yeah, but that’s also applicable for guitars. Yet they have the same need for distinction within the original term, which is both encompassing (new usage given technological developments) and specific (old usage given traditional technological limitations), depending on context. And Merriam Webster illustrates this exact usage for distinction.

Bikes aren’t guitars......

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I guess folks can use whatever term they want ... if it's clear what is meant (and 'acoustic' / 'analog' etc ar perfectly clear in context) then I don't see any reason the get wound up about it personally.

There's enough thought gestapo about in life these days.

Don’t think anyone is sad enough to get wound up by it.

But it’s just a bit a daft imo.

But hey, if someone wants to sound a bit daft. Crack on ???

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Might start calling this my Orbea then.

s-l300.png

Sean1.0

Aug 2, 2020
Kernowshire
I'm sure there used to be just 'guitars' ... but on an electric guitar forum if you are chatting guitars and want to be clear you are referring to your not electric guitar you would add 'acoustic' to be clear. Maybe guitarists used to cringe at the term back in the day and write angry letters to the scarfolk music society.

If I texted a mate and said I had an off and wrecked my 'bike' or 'mtb' today ... he'd be asking if I meant my emtb or (insert whatever daft name you like to be clear) ... would've been easier to just use a term to be clear in the first place ... 'not electric' doesn't do it for me.... happy to use acoustic, analog or whatever is the go.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TBF most cyclists sound like dorks with all the cliched shit they come out with.

"Just back from GT shredding off piste gnar on the Acoustic. My assegais were hooking up so well in the loam. I also had a crack at the full black climb at FTP but had to pass a whole bunch of Ebikers and they probabaly cost me the KOM"

547_1000.gif

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
OTOH, a few hours watching the big youtubers, Pilgs, Matt Jones, Deaks & all that crowd will shrivel your vocabulary like a three week old apricot left in the back of the cupboard. Specifically:

Sick
Rad
Yeoh (with optional) 'boy'
Slick (usually accompanied with 'innit?')
Send it.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
TBF most cyclists sound like dorks with all the cliched shit they come out with.

"Just back from GT shredding off piste gnar on the Acoustic. My assegais were hooking up so well in the loam. I also had a crack at the full black climb at FTP but had to pass a whole bunch of Ebikers and they probabaly cost me the KOM"

547_1000.gif
Didn't you miss " It was totally rad dude" ..out of there ..somewhere ( insert anywhere its all shite anyway )

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles