Who’s kept their acoustic bike and why?

backcountry00

Jun 29, 2020
London/Kent UK
Ok, so I’m relatively new to ebikes but not MTB in general, have been riding for 10 years plus.
Up until I bought my Trek Rail a month or so back, I’d be riding a Santa Cruz Hightower LT. Amazing bike, can’t fault it.
However, I’m not sure how much use it’s going to get as I’d much rather take out the ebike. Wondering whether to sell it on whilst the market for 2nd hand bikes is strong.
So my question is, who’s kept their acoustic bike alongside their ebike and if so, why?

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I have to make myself ride mine, and my goal is to ride it one day a week. Some weeks twice, but more likely not at all..... However having it there keeps me honest and gives me a basis in reality. Plus it's an awesome bike.
5010 20.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Kept all my normal bikes.
Because other than uphill and commuting I honestly prefer riding each and every one of them to any Ebike.

This question comes up a fair bit
eg.

backcountry00

Jun 29, 2020
London/Kent UK
I have to make myself ride mine, and my goal is to ride it one day a week. Some weeks twice, but more likely not at all..... However having it there keeps me honest and gives me a basis in reality. Plus it's an awesome bike. View attachment 37775
Love the bike, also love the subtle colours that SC have on some of their bikes. You make a good point about keeping a basis and having a regular target to use it. Here’s mine:
1BB0D404-AA3F-4813-92F2-021B041AC4CE.jpeg

backcountry00

Jun 29, 2020
London/Kent UK
Kept all my normal bikes.
Because other than uphill and commuting I honestly prefer riding each and every one of them to any Ebike.

This question comes up a fair bit
eg.
I figured this would be asked before, but I’ll check out the other posts. I don’t want to keep the bike and not use it, but don’t want to sell it and regret it!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I figured this would be asked before, but I’ll check out the other posts. I don’t want to keep the bike and not use it, but don’t want to sell it and regret it!
I don't really see how anyone elses input can answer your quandry.
whether you continue riding normal bikes or not is entirely your decision.

backcountry00

Jun 29, 2020
London/Kent UK
I think purely on the limited time I have to ride it probably makes more sense to just stick to the ebike. I’ll drink some beer and ponder ?

D

Deleted member 7464

I love riding all my bikes. To be totally honest it all depends on how I feel at that moment to which bike I take. I get the same amount of enjoyment from them all especially when thay are all lined up together and I can sit and admire them????

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
My Giant ebike is 25kg and my XC Hardtail is 9.8kg. They are totally different. Short fast rides on the non-ebike as apposed to long brisk rides on the Giant.

I have a gravel-tyre’d roadie too. Haven’t ridden that more than once this season.

Just banged out 22 miles on the ebike and out for 10miles 45 mins tomorrow AM with an ebike ride in the evening. Chasing a beachbod....dunno why I bother

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Kept mine.

It's nothing special really - a 2017 Giant Trance 2 - but it's light, quick, huge fun to ride, and it's earned its place in my affections, even though I'm not riding it much right now - who knows how I'll feel tomorrow?

Plus, I've got room for it; and it'd probably be more hassle than I'd get for it, to sell it.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Tourque sensor went on my e8000. Without power for close to 2 months now. Ordered an acoustic enduro bike so im not bikeless. I think itd be nice to also have a good fazua equipped emtb to cover a problem with the regular emtb or the acoustic bike

Aug 7, 2020
West Midland, UK
I would hold onto it, I sold mine then ended getting one again a year later. Two different bikes. I use my other bike for parks with uplifts. Riding with the wife when she’s on her ebike I enjoy the challenge trying to keep up.

Ebikes are great for saving time and getting plenty of laps on the trails but its still a good feeling just to get out on a normal bike sometimes and just peddle not needing to worry about battery and feeling like you didn’t cheat ?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
after a while on my Rail, i really love the feel of the analogue bike. It feels so light and nimble. I also like to try to keep my legs fit as I don’t manage to get the same workout leg wise on an emtb.

This!

After a year on the eMTB, when I switched to the non-eMTB for a vacation trip, my bike felt super light and agile (even though the Supreme SX is on the heavier side of non-eMTB bikes)!

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I don't really see how anyone elses input can answer your quandry.
whether you continue riding normal bikes or not is entirely your decision.
Finally someone says it.
We put too much stock in other people’s opinions.
Opinion does not equal fact.
So do what’s right for you and don’t rely on other people to tell you what that is.
This excludes my opinions as well as Gary’s of course

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Finally someone says it.
So do what’s right for you and don’t rely on other people to tell you what that is.

Yep.
You see it every day. People so worried about what other people think if they ride an eMTB.
It's because we live in a time where too many of these people need the likes and the thumbs-ups and the follows from social media and the Internet to feel relevant. In the end, I just enjoy riding bikes. eMTB, road, dirt jump, enduro - who cares, a bike is a bike.

Who's Gary? Oh right, I blocked him the first day I was here, his attitude is so toxic LOL :LOL:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I'll be keeping my Yt capra for uplift days (BPW , antur stiniog etc) , trip to foreign places (spain,alps,finale,madeira etc), rides where the majority dont have e bikes, rides with lots of lifting over stiles etc. And the occasional ride where I fancy a lightweight bike - funny how my 14kg capra has now become my lightweight bike.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
The chances are, whether you want to ride your acoustic or not, you're probably going to be without your emtb waiting on parts or repair. They're not particularly reliable. Do you want to keep riding when that happens?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
When I first had the ebike buzz I was tempted to sell my lung bike but was too lazy.

I'm so glad I didn't - there's no avoiding the fact a 50lb ebike is a lump downhill and a 30lb trail bike is way more fun. I've also got fitter and lighter so "need" the assistance less.

When I ride solo I mostly ride my Levo to get maximum trail bang for time buck. It's also great for low consequence exploring or for if I'm riding very frequently when I mix elec and lung days so not to be permanently fatigued.

With my lung powered mates I take my lung bike.

If I was obliged to reduce to just one the Levo would go and I'd keep a high end 29er trail bike.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I've ridden my Remedy twice since purchasing the eeb 13 months ago lol. Because I commute on the Rocky daily, I'm very used to it and ride the trails every weekend-weather permitting. The Trek is awesome and I keep it for lift access or shuttle days with mates. Besides, it cost $5k 3 years ago and I'd be lucky to get a grand for it if I sold it now.
20180929_113117.jpg

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Finally someone says it.
In defence of the OP, sometimes it's just interesting to talk about these things: asking what other people think about this thing or that can be a purely conversational device.

I'm interested in other folks' opinions simply because I find other folks' opinions interesting; and I think it's probably overthinking the OP's question to infer that he wants us to tell him whether or not to sell...

Last edited:

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Yep, will always keep it.

I race a reasonable amount & will always do so, and won't be doing that on an ebike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles