Who’s kept their acoustic bike and why?

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Only using my normal bike on the winter time here in sweden beacuse of the cold weather and the amount of snow that comes ,

do not want to wear out my e-bike and battery in the winter

Last edited:

GOSBTS

Sep 24, 2018
Sussex
Yep, got a 29 Carbon Stumpjumper which I like to ride. I enjoy riding it when it's dry and I've got no time pressure and i just want to be outside and spinning! Last year I was training for an Ironman and used it to do low intensity rides.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Yep, got a 29 Carbon Stumpjumper which I like to ride. I enjoy riding it when it's dry and I've got no time pressure and i just want to be outside and spinning! Last year I was training for an Ironman and used it to do low intensity rides.

Ironman, wow that’s impressive.

I’m going to start with a jellyman competition and slowly work upwards

DDEADE04-7334-4578-ABA2-B68A50DC7C0A.jpeg

GOSBTS

Sep 24, 2018
Sussex
Ironman, wow that’s impressive.

I’m going to start with a jellyman competition and slowly work upwards

View attachment 50575
I cannot say no to jelly sweets. I'm an ex rugby player who struggles to get near 90kg and can demolish a pizza by looking at it. Ironman = bucket list thing and is about survival, estimate 14 hours....Luckily (???) it's been deferred to this year so I have to do all training again...

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
You know what they say, everyone's different. TBH, I never really had a great connection with the Jekyll. It is a good bike, don't get me wrong, but when I describe the bike, the first thing I always say is that it has no soul (maybe because it's my first plastic bike... lol!). I mean it can do it all, but I'm always afraid I will break it (well, the e-bike too at the moment). It also feels somewhat neutral (not lively like my previous bike... the Transition Bottlerocket). I know why, but I didn't think I would prefer the old, twitchier bike than this Jekyll. So as I re-read this comment, it's more a critique of the bike and not necessarily the need to keep an analog/acoustic bike. Again, I do have the Turner DHR that I can pedal up (not easily of course) so it isn't like the e-bike will be the only one (I also have a DJ bike but that doesn't count... lol!). I am riding this bike ONE MORE TIME tomorrow and if it doesn't spark joy, I will have to Konmari it. =)

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Would never part with my carbon xc hardtail , a do everything bike from touring to riding at trail park . Also got a carbon roadie I used to ride a lot but this last year I’ve got fed up with angry cyclist hating car drivers and the lack of being able to explore on / off road routes .
it was full suspension bikes that eventually led me to the ebike , trying to keep up with my daughter and her fella on increasingly more difficult trails led to heavier duty full suss bikes until a 2 day ride in wales nearly finished me , and I knew they were fed up waiting for me . For off road the ebike is the best fun I’ve ever had

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I have a Litespeed Obed from the 90's hanging on the wall. I keep it around because of the places it took me and memories it holds of old friends and places which I'm likely to never ride again...most notably - Moab, Grand Junction and of course Fruita.

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
Actually, I'm toying with the idea of buying a semi-vintage bike (like my Bottlerocket). I just don't like the idea of a high-end back-up bike... really goes against my principle of being cheap. LOL

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
I have always been an eggs in one basket kinda guy. I have the most fun on the eBike so I know I won't take the normal bike out, even though it looks sick. I have just sold it.

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
I weight-weenied my Levo SL to 35 lbs. Sold my Stump jumper to help pay for it. So I use my SL as an analog bike or an ebike due to the relatively light weight. One bike is all I need.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
After just smashing out 35 miles of singletrack and then 3 loops of the local bike park which I could never do on my old bike; I'm never going back!

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I have a Whyte E150- RS and love it but I’ve kept my Specialized Stumpjumper HT comp. It’s a bit like Triggers brush from Only fools and horses coz the frame and right hand shifter is all that’s left of the original bike with many upgrades over the years. After riding the Ebike, riding the light and entertaining (twitchy) Spesh is great fun. I’ve ridden this bike over thousands of miles all over the UK and will never part with it..

Happy Jack

Aug 23, 2020
UK
I still have an MTB and a CX / Gravel bike. Still use them regularly on less demanding rides. Horses for courses really (plus you can never have enough bikes!)

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
I have my YT Decoy for all around but just bought a new Commencal Clash 27.5”
for park riding and big jump days. Also there are several trails that still do not allow
ebikes in my area so I can use it on those too.

Marley

Jan 28, 2021
VA
We all evolve differently, much respect.

I personally knew that I'm getting older and lost my edge. Use to race cross country and 24 hr events but simply couldn't run from age.

Sold all my bikes and completely involved in e-bikes now " Trek rail " and very much enjoying riding at 60.

I very much miss my Cannondale carbon Scalpel but my body and legs were saying " it's time to retire ". But thankfully the e-bikes evolved......e-bikes for now on.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
5E985D93-2967-492D-A434-2FE6253586DE.jpeg

New acoustic bike to complement the eMTB.
Niner Rip 9 RDO.
DVO Diamond fork 160mm
Fox Float Shock 140mm
Crank Brothers 24 spoke wheel
Di2 Shifter

Love the suspension.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
I’ll always keep mine, as I race a bit and have no interest in racing the eeb.

And whilst the Rail is a really good bike, it’s not as fun to ride as my ‘21 Stumpy Evo, or as fast (other than up).

Oct 26, 2020
Wiltshire
Ok, so I’m relatively new to ebikes but not MTB in general, have been riding for 10 years plus.
Up until I bought my Trek Rail a month or so back, I’d be riding a Santa Cruz Hightower LT. Amazing bike, can’t fault it.
However, I’m not sure how much use it’s going to get as I’d much rather take out the ebike. Wondering whether to sell it on whilst the market for 2nd hand bikes is strong.
So my question is, who’s kept their acoustic bike alongside their ebike and if so, why?

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
Don't sell your suffer bike... there'll be days where you want to take that out instead of the cheater bike. I'm sure you're grabbing the ebike a lot more since you got it, but the novelty wears off (for me it did anyway). Plus you'll have rides where it'll be all suffer dudes... riding with an ebike won't be fun for anyone. Until I blew my ACL (operation in 3 weeks), I've been riding 3:1 suffer to ebike ratio.

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
Trance Suffer.jpg

@Gary, the balance bike as it currently stands. Mini-enduro with 160/147mm travel F/B. Suspension is pretty dialed, and the Zee brakes provide the best-value stopping power. I LOVE this bike! The cheater bike is almost identical aside from the 170mm fork (which I now think is overkill and slackens the front too much):
Trance Cheater.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles