Who’s kept their acoustic bike and why?

backcountry00

Jun 29, 2020
London/Kent UK
I think the type of riding you do makes a massive difference to whether an ebike or standard bike makes sense.
For me, descending is what it’s about. Surrey Hills is my ‘local’ spot so on a typical ebike ride I’d probably cover about 25 miles. I’ll be riding the same routes several times and making the climbs easy so I can focus on getting back down as fast as possible. I’m not chasing Strava times, but I get a real buzz out of hitting stuff as fast as I can so I do push it. It’s my escape from parental and work responsibilities, and the 4 months I’ve been working from home which have taken its toll - that few minutes of full focus descending is where I can’t think of anything else as if I do it’s likely I’ll wrap myself round a tree.

That being said, I’ve definitely lost some of my fitness as I just don’t work as hard on an ebike as I would on my normal bike.

My SC Hightower is up for sale, I’ve had a few tyre-kickers but I’m not committed to selling it as I’m not completely convinced that I want it gone, yet I don’t know how much use it’ll get (time contstraints mainly, plus nowhere very local worth riding, everything is an hour+ drive for me).
So it looks like I may be keeping a foot in each camp.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Ordered a Canyon Spectral AL6. So now the ebike is outnumbered by normal bikes.

I find the ebike too easy to ride. I’ll keep it for when I want to venture to hilly places but otherwise it will stay hanging off the wall.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I guess I'm an odd one out. I had a hardtail that I fitted a kit to, I removed the kit & sold the bike. I purchased a 2020 Zobop, but afterwards purchased an analogue fs.
I use both for my commute, but it depends on the wind :LOL:

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
Good for you all.. some of you have 3, 4, even 5 bikes .. I don't have money nor place to buy new bike every single year coz I am bored with my old one.. I have an ebike and sold XC next day.. I did 1000 km in one month, with old bike I did that kind of a distance in 6 months so I will never go back to analog bike. I'm spending much more time outside and I am not getting any younger. Some of you mentioned durability of ebikes and their motors as a reason to go back analog.. I didn't have any problems whatsoever with Bosch gen4.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have a Trail bike Ripley V4 bought frame only & Gravel bike Tripster AT also frame only with DI2 both more bling than ebike Trail bike frame same price as the ebike ? Vitus e-Sommet basic one although upgraded loads now ?

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
BAN HIM ?
one website / forum less. more riding ?

for more clearance. i do XC MTB. XC is NOT covered by any eMTB brand because of the speedlimit of 25km/h in europe.
I am faster with my xc (Spesh Epic full SRAM AXS).
i wish they would change the limit to 32kmh or 20mph. i would ride a lot more eMTB

Last edited:

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
I use/purchased my eMTB for solo riding.

Definable kept my other MTB for rides with friend/friends, its different riding. If they all had eMTBs maybe that would be different. Wont happen for a long time many couldnt afford / wouldnt spend on an eMTB of equivalent quality/capability as their current MTB, not to mention running costs (drivetrain and eventually battery, maybe even motor).

Does everyone with only their eMTB just ride solo?

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I will always have a mechanical in my quiver for a few reasons:
  • Fitness
  • Bike parks and jump lines
  • and something to ride when the Eeb is fekt (which is often)
bike.jpg

backcountry00

Jun 29, 2020
London/Kent UK
Excellent comments, great to get some different opinions on why you kept (or didn’t keep) the acoustic/analogue/lung (whoever called it a ‘lung’ bike earlier cracked me up) bike.
I did Bike Park Wales twice recently. One weekend on the Trek Rail - did 6 full climbs each day over two days.
Then went back the following weekend on my SC Hightower and coincidently did 6 runs again.
Made me think about what I preferred, and actually I quite liked the climbing on the eeb. Perhaps it’s novelty as I’ve only ever done BPW with uplift, but it felt more like my standard rides I.e explore for a while then find something fun to ride. It also felt more like my own day, rather than relying on the uplift.
Also quite like the heft and weight of the eeb, yes it’s harder work physically but it feels more like a downhill bike on the descents due to the weight. The momentum once it gets going makes for some pretty fast descents. Ploughing through Rim Dinger and Watts Occuring at full pelt on the eeb felt good.
Going back the next weekend and riding the same trails on the SC gave me a helpful comparison.
If I had to go back to BPW and take one bike it would be the Trek Rail. I’m genuinely surprised I came to that conclusion.

For now, the Hightower is staying as I know I’ll regret selling it at some point. And I hope I do use it before my fitness levels start going backwards!

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
I kept this (about 20 yo, but in perfect condition) Canadian made stallion because it would hurt seeing him go...
(Even while I don't use him anymore).
It's less than half the weight of my actual eMTB, handlebar is about half as wide also... :sneaky:
Marzocchi Bomber Superfly, XTR, Race Face, Mavic Crossmax etc...

Rocky Mountain 2014-1 kopie.jpg

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Glad i bought one or id be missing out while i wait for e8000 warrantee. 2200ft climb off the top of the gondi for a 6000ft+ decent. Would have done it a couple times with the eeb though

20200827_161008.jpg

20200827_160846.jpg

20200827_155220.jpg

20200827_152830.jpg

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
I recently purchased a Levo SL due to health issues (cancer), and promptly sold all of my "acoustic" bikes. But I'm already in the market for a used, light weight hardtail.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I recently purchased a Levo SL due to health issues (cancer), and promptly sold all of my "acoustic" bikes. But I'm already in the market for a used, light weight hardtail.
Best of luck with everything dude. Some sweet hardtails out there these days.
Also #fuckcancer

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
I have couple acoustics still in use. Here's my Canyon Sender AL 5.0 2018. Picked it up dirt cheap from Canyon outlet. Best value for fun ever. Great frame, coil front and rear, love it!
Adjustments.jpg

Aug 31, 2020
Sospel
Where you ride and who you ride with will make the biggest difference to the decision on whether to keep a non-e bike or not. For me, living in the mountains, with regular 1000m climbs, no uplifts and everybody else riding e bikes ( it is very rare to see non-e bike here), I couldnt see a reason to keep the other bike and sold it straight away. I also really like the ebike on the downhill terrain here too (long, very rocky descents) and steep techy ascents have become the 'new downhill'! And now, because I haven't ridden a non-e bike for over 2 years my ebike is just 'normal' mountain biking for me.

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
I'm going to revive this discussion because I'm having a similar dilemma. I bought an e-bike a few weeks ago and I have not touched my enduro bike until today. I had to take it out because I prematurely posted the enduro bike for sale on Pinkbike and I was having seller's remorse (I have a few people offering to pay my asking price). Anyway, I was hoping this bike would reconnect with me (which was kind of weak to begin with), and the ride today did not blow my mind. It felt very similar on the descents (albeit lighter and easier to change directions), and it was a pig on the climbs (which is funny, because this is probably one of the lightest enduro bikes at under 30 lbs with lockout).

So I am so sure that I won't get more than 2-3 rides on this bike every month. Is it even worth keeping? BTW, I have a DH bike that I will never get rid of... so that's another factor (I only want to sell the Jekyll/enduro bike).

My 2018 Cannondale Jekyll (the one I'm thinking of selling)
IMG_3597.jpg

My 2020 Giant Trance E (slacked out to 65 deg)
IMG_3551.jpg

My 2011 Turner DHR (keeper)
IMG_3568.jpg

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
B07DCA8D-A3E1-44A6-8A30-27183CAC343D.png

Bought my Ebike a partner. This picture is close but not actual bike since I’m doing a custom build. I couldn’t hardly find parts. I went with Sram G2 ultimate because Codes were back ordered. I went with Fox 36 because Fox 38 was like April. I went with Sram XX01 because every other sram was may availability.

Ohhh, by the way...... anything shimano is unavailable until august.

Custom built Rip 9 RDO Carbon (26.6 lbs)

Fox 36 Factory 29” 160mm 51mm offset

Fox X2 Factory
Fox Performance Dropper
Shram XX01 drivetrain (gold cassette, gold chain, gold cranks)
Shram G2 Ultimate Brakes 200mm F/R
Renthal Fatbar 800mm 35mm
Maxxis DHF/DHR

Yes, I still enjoy my acoustic bikes.

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
From my personal experience, I think having an acoustic bike that is in a very different category from ones e-bike is the key. I've had my Levo SL since it came out and love it. Recently I got a Yeti ARC hardtail and love that in a completely different way. This huge spectrum keeps things really fun.
That's a good point, Alex, and probably one of the reasons I am almost certain I won't be using the Jekyll (because it overlaps so much with the Trance E).

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
Totally get it. Just wanted to share that when you climb on a 25 lb bike, it goes like a rocket and almost feels like an e-bike. Sure, you have to go slower on the downs and pick a line carefully but that's a great skill to develop.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I bought a 25lb, 100mm cross country bike with front and rear lockout. If I'm going to climb without a motor, it's going to be as efficient as possible! :)

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I'll give you a different angle. I owned two ebikes - first a 2018 Levo and then a Commencal Meta Power 29. I now own none. After riding the Levo for around 18 months I lost interest in it. I had mechanical issues with the Levo and was generally not enjoying it so switched to the Shimano & coil eqiupped Commencal. 6 months later I realised it wasn't the bike. With the eBike I annihilated my local trails very quickly, just over an hour to ride all the trails. I could link up another set of trails and go longer, but it just didn't... excite me. It was too easy and while the bike was crazy fast strava-time-wise, it was a steam train. There was just no danger, no playfulness, the handling was meh. So I went back to a normal bike. I now have a Knolly Fugitive and love it. It's harder, I cover less trails but it's challenging and the handling is something special. What that Knolly does in 120mm is on par with the 140mm Commencal on our chunkier trails - and times prove this - and it pedals great.
I'll own another ebike in the future. A lighter one. Maybe something like the Levo SL if it gets a better battery tech. Especially if I move somewhere with a lot of elevation.
The lesson here: things change. I'd keep the analog bike if it's a good analog bike.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
That's a good point, Alex, and probably one of the reasons I am almost certain I won't be using the Jekyll (because it overlaps so much with the Trance E).
I agree.I think the best thing is to have a different category of analogue bike to your ebike to provide more variety. I sold my 140mm full sus when I got my Kenevo but bought a hardtail to use when the Kenevo was in for warranty work. I don't use it as much as my ebike but I still get a buzz riding it when I do as it's so different. Plus hardtails are so capable these days and much simpler to maintain and of course generally lighter than full sus. My advice sell your full sus and get a hardtail!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles