Bought a Acoustic to keep myself honest!!

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
Soo I picked up a used Specialized Stumpjumper. The idea is that I will ride it once or twice a month just to see how my fitness is doing. Rode it today for the first time on a trail I normally ride. On the flat, no real difference, but uphill, boy does the EMTB make life easier. I was pleased that I did way better than I expected. Had fun , but for most of the time I will stick with the Levo!!

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
This thought creeps in every now and again. It's been at least 12 months since I rode a regular bike and I have no idea how the legs and knees would fair.

I wonder whether I'd get one and ride it once and then let it gather dust. I miss the fact my old stumpy was about 12-13kg... (26", alloy)... but I really can't remember how it rode now. Did you notice much difference on the downhill?

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I've kept my old Stumpy. I was hoping that with regular commutes into the office, my fitness level would increase enough to get back on it every now and again (it feels feather-light now!) Sadly with the lockdown, I'm just getting podgier.

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
It makes me laugh how we justify our toys. I think I'm minded to go and buy a Porsche Taycan so I can compare my driving skills. :ROFLMAO:.

You could always just turn the motor off. Just saying.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
All my friends have started buying hardtails for some reason. Most have full suspension bikes. So there will undoubtably be some rides where they are all on hardtails and i'm looking like the very overbiked idiot with my monster truck. :D I can't justify another bike, i sold my hardtail and full suspension XC bike when i got the whyte as the whole point of it is to be the one bike to do everything.

I have however been riding with the motor off as much as possible if riding with others just so i don't get complacent.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
They're all on hardtails round my neck of the woods as well now.
Someone probably saw someone riding one on YouTube gushing about all the virtues of gaining bike control etc etc.
This sport does bring out the sheep in people ?

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
I have 2 regular bikes and my ebike...I only ride the ebike with other ebike buddies. I send to ride my regular bikes more for fitness reasons. I know the argument is ebikes are just as good at fitness. They are in the cardio dept because you are spinning so much, but you do lose leg muscle endurance. When I had first started riding the ebike i was riding it a lot. When I would get on the regular bike i noticed the climbs that were once easy were a lot tougher.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Buying and riding my EMTB actually encouraged me to upgrade my acoustic and I do enjoy both. EMTB great for exploring new areas to go back to with the acoustic knowing its not going to be a hard slog up following by a disappointing down

motox155

Feb 4, 2020
socal
I have 2 regular bikes and my ebike...I only ride the ebike with other ebike buddies. I send to ride my regular bikes more for fitness reasons. I know the argument is ebikes are just as good at fitness. They are in the cardio dept because you are spinning so much, but you do lose leg muscle endurance. When I had first started riding the ebike i was riding it a lot. When I would get on the regular bike i noticed the climbs that were once easy were a lot tougher.
Agreed!

I have two "regular bikes. One lightweight cross country and a do-all trail bike. I bought an ebike so I could ride every so often with my buds (who were all on them), and they are a blast!. Also the wife, who rarely rides, enjoys riding it. I definitely notice a decline in fitness, compared to riding regular bikes, when I start riding my ebike more often than not. Nowadays I usually ride my non-e a few days a week, definitely helps.

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
I ride my ebike 40km pw in the winter and 80-100km a week in the summer.... way more than my old regular bike and I am under no uncertainty that the fitness levels have dropped..... especially peak/redline fitness.

I still redline on climbs and particular routes bit I am no where disciplined enough to maintain or suffer that when all I need to do is dib the thumb on a button. My overall enjoyment has risen so much as a result (and I bloody enjoyed it before switching to battery power)

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I ride my eMTB most of the time.

I wheel-out my hard-tail ~once a month, but I find it increasingly uncomfortable on my fuffen-hol and my spine, when bundu-bashing in the woods.

Marley

Jan 28, 2021
VA
Recently sold my Cannondale F29 and will only tolerate full suspension going forward.
My knees are fine but have degenerative disk in upper back and need some squish.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I ride my bikes 50/50in the summer, but now in the winter Ive only been on the ebike. The ebike makes winter biking a lot of fun and not just pure pain. Studded tiers and deep snow is just to much hard work on a analog bike to be much fun at all. I’m planning a ride this weekend with a friend on an analog bike. I’m wondering how my legs will keep up

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
went back today and rode the same trail again on the Levo. Difference is i rode twice as far. The biggest difference is honestly the amount ob burning on the climbs. Downhill they both do great. The acoustic is more playful and the Levo is way more planted. Both are fun.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I just switch mine off if I want more of a workout, keeping the cadence between 80-100. Calorie burn will be more than any mtb, due to the extra weight of an emtb. Then, when everything aches and the hills get bigger, turn it back on!

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I just switch mine off if I want more of a workout, keeping the cadence between 80-100. Calorie burn will be more than any mtb, due to the extra weight of an emtb. Then, when everything aches and the hills get bigger, turn it back on!
Then it feels like driving a car without motor
1612697039686.png

Fuch

Dec 13, 2020
Buckinghamshire
do about 50/50 on bike&emtb but I’m trying to keep it in eco mode as much as poss with 35 torque setting to get my fitness up as need to lose about a stone but I also always take out the emtb when riding with wife as she’s super fit & does triathlons & stuff and trying to keep up on a normal bike is just hard work and its good because we can ride together for 1/2 hrs plus wind her up on the climbs ? ...... only thing I don’t like is the handling on the emtb because of the weight on the tight slow stuff!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles