Status
Not open for further replies.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Thanks! Interesting it looks like the Android version of Blevo is much more feature-rich with more customisation. I notice a lot of folk using a BV6000 so perhaps i need to invest in one of these to get the very best out of Blevo?

Thanks very much for the tips, really appreciate it. I'll give the Smart HR settings a go on my iOS version and see how i get on.

I do like the idea of maximising the battery. Im about 95kg and i've been doing approx 1500-1800ft elevation on each ride 15-16 mile ride and the battery is coming down to about 50% with Wh anywhere between 240-300 Wh.

May i ask if you can explain Smart Power in lamens terms for me please? I have looked through the manual and again through this thread but can't get a clear explanation on that!

I don't understand what you mean with the word "lamens" but I assume for "dummies"? ;) Smart Power is based on an algorithm for HR and Leg Power which automatically increases and decreases the assistance %. (which is normally a fixed assistance setting for eco, trail and turbo) The algorithm sets the assistance % between the min and max values which are selected in the smart power and smart HR configuration page.

When I started to use BLEvo I used my iPhone 6, bought a special waterproof case and waterproof powerbank. I bought the powerbank as I used BLEvo as a cockpit with screen always on.

Then @PaoloBLEvo advised me to buy the BV6000 (IP68 (wash it just with a gardenhose when I return after a ride), huge battery and barometer). It was around $150 but if you find this too much money you could consider the BV6000S too. Later I bought the O Synce remote and GUB Plus 8 phone holder. I use the O Synce control to change smart power wattage, change screen from bike monitor to map view, zoom in and out on the map, etc. without having to remove my hands from the handle bar. I would highly recommend to buy the remote when using BLEvo.

I use the BV6000 just as a bike display (not as a phone). With the GUB holder you can rotate the phone on the handlebars. I have it now in landscape position. With BLEvo Android version (which is a more detailed BLEvo version than the ios one) you can download detailed openandroidmaps once to the device. From that moment you download gpx tracks via wifi if you don't like to insert a simcard. A simcard is not required to use BLEvo during the ride.

Like @Indigo also pointed out, I would recommend to you just to test how you like smart HR, smart leg power and the combination of both together. Just leave the assistance % settings at the levels I have shared with you and you will the difference for sure. You can then later fine tune all settings and %'s according to your own preferences.

By the way I weigh around 98kg so I think, if required, you can extend you rides much further but that will require more human leg power and most likely a reduced average speed. Of course even more efficient would be to ride the bike in "off" :unsure: and that's certainly not what I try to say but in case you know upfront that you want to ride a long route than it could be smart to increase your smart leg power threshold and reduce the max. assistance % to get the most distance out of a 500Wh battery. When I ride a shorter and fast ride and I know upfront that the battery capacity will be enough, then I ride with higher assistance settings just to increase average speed and fun.

Last but not least, as @Indigo already said, most likely you have firmware version 2.019. This is an old version and therefore smart power might not always work as expected. I would say just try it. If you have issues (could be with walk assist or shuttle mode too) than upgrading your bike could resolve these issues. However you will not be able to increase speed anymore above 28,8km/h. (in case you ask your LBS to set the WC to 2000) If 28,8km/h is not enough for you than you might need to consider the Levociraptor, LSS, Planet3 or Badass box. I just have my WC set to 2000 which offers me a max speed of 28,8km/h which already makes a big difference in ride feeling compared to the original setting of 2300.

I hope this helps...

Last edited:

PaoloBLEvo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
I have just released version 3.5.5 of BLEvo for Android.
I added the very useful bell functionality via the remote control. In the attached video you can hear an example (ps: activate the audio).
Another useful feature is the possibility of viewing GPX in fullscreen mode.

Here are all the changes:
- Added GPX support without end point tag </trkpt>
- Added GPX import checks
- The privacy field is no longer possible to use for uploading activities (Strava decision)
- Added the sound of the bell (and of General Lee) in the remote commands
- Added possibility to remove the WayPoint of beginning and end of the course
- Added possibility to save WayPoints with date and time without having to enter a text
- Added possibility to remove buttons from the map
- Added buttons to display / hide the elevation graph and the buttons on the map (also with remote control)
- Fixed vocal message of ascent (now without comma)
- Fixed vocal message of the distance under the km
- Now the scan button on the home page has no timeout
- Correct display of speed and min / max slope in the map
- Correct display of the bike name in the title bar
- Now the tour map does not display the battery value at zero
- Correct reading of data for the elevation chart with <ele> tag at the beginning of the line
- Added average assistance percentage in short statistics
- Now the total km of the bike are always displayed in the bike monitor. The last value received is displayed
- Now the full screen of the GPX import is "more" fullscreen
- Now the speed multiplier is in scale x 10

Update from Google Play.
Have fun with BLEvo.

Screenshot_20190908-132757.png

Screenshot_20190911-180350.png

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California
Are they water and shock proof?
Every phone has different ratings. The LG G5 hasn't given trouble for me in light rain or vibration on the bars. I would say it is not waterproof. You will need to pick a phone that has the size and qualities and price you wan't. The used android phone market is cheap and easy to come by.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I don't understand what you mean with the word "lamens" but I assume for "dummies"? ;) Smart Power is based on an algorithm for HR and Leg Power which automatically increases and decreases the assistance %. (which is normally a fixed assistance setting for eco, trail and turbo) The algorithm sets the assistance % between the min and max values which are selected in the smart power and smart HR configuration page.

When I started to use BLEvo I used my iPhone 6, bought a special waterproof case and waterproof powerbank. I bought the powerbank as I used BLEvo as a cockpit with screen always on.

Then @PaoloBLEvo advised me to buy the BV6000 (IP68 (wash it just with a gardenhose when I return after a ride), huge battery and barometer). It was around $150 but if you find this too much money you could consider the BV6000S too. Later I bought the O Synce remote and GUB Plus 8 phone holder. I use the O Synce control to change smart power wattage, change screen from bike monitor to map view, zoom in and out on the map, etc. without having to remove my hands from the handle bar. I would highly recommend to buy the remote when using BLEvo.

I use the BV6000 just as a bike display (not as a phone). With the GUB holder you can rotate the phone on the handlebars. I have it now in landscape position. With BLEvo Android version (which is a more detailed BLEvo version than the ios one) you can download detailed openandroidmaps once to the device. From that moment you download gpx tracks via wifi if you don't like to insert a simcard. A simcard is not required to use BLEvo during the ride.

Like @Indigo also pointed out, I would recommend to you just to test how you like smart HR, smart leg power and the combination of both together. Just leave the assistance % settings at the levels I have shared with you and you will the difference for sure. You can then later fine tune all settings and %'s according to your own preferences.

By the way I weigh around 98kg so I think, if required, you can extend you rides much further but that will require more human leg power and most likely a reduced average speed. Of course even more efficient would be to ride the bike in "off" :unsure: and that's certainly not what I try to say but in case you know upfront that you want to ride a long route than it could be smart to increase your smart leg power threshold and reduce the max. assistance % to get the most distance out of a 500Wh battery. When I ride a shorter and fast ride and I know upfront that the battery capacity will be enough, then I ride with higher assistance settings just to increase average speed and fun.

Last but not least, as @Indigo already said, most likely you have firmware version 2.019. This is an old version and therefore smart power might not always work as expected. I would say just try it. If you have issues (could be with walk assist or shuttle mode too) than upgrading your bike could resolve these issues. However you will not be able to increase speed anymore above 28,8km/h. (in case you ask your LBS to set the WC to 2000) If 28,8km/h is not enough for you than you might need to consider the Levociraptor, LSS, Planet3 or Badass box. I just have my WC set to 2000 which offers me a max speed of 28,8km/h which already makes a big difference in ride feeling compared to the original setting of 2300.

I hope this helps...

Really very helpful. I accidentally changed the speed to 25 km/h & was wondering how to get back to exactly 28.8 km/h as it was not 28.0 or 29.0. I'll try that.

Also the Battery Monitor is very useful & I think should be more prominent! Also I wonder if individual cell data could be displayed as an option though I'm guessing that would require CAN bus type access to the battery.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
@PaoloBLEvo
Is it possible to increase the size of of the +/-1 and +/-5 assistance level buttons on the monitor when not using smart power? They're very difficult to use, especially with gloves on rough trails! In landscape mode there's lots of space to the sides of the "activate smart power" button. Maybe there and bigger?

This wouldn't be an issue if I had the O-synce remote but the website says "This product is currently not available." Is there another source in the USA or other remotes?

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
@PaoloBLEvo
Is it possible to increase the size of of the +/-1 and +/-5 assistance level buttons on the monitor when not using smart power? They're very difficult to use, especially with gloves on rough trails! In landscape mode there's lots of space to the sides of the "activate smart power" button. Maybe there and bigger?

This wouldn't be an issue if I had the O-synce remote but the website says "This product is currently not available." Is there another source in the USA or other remotes?
I saw that the osynce remote is not available..
I don't understand why they have so few units to sell.. I will ask..
About the buttons, I will try to increase the size.. Thanks..

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
@PaoloBLEvo - I have a suggestion

On the home screen:
  • if scan is stopped, the flashing dots always stop as black not grey.
  • if I don't have my HRM; it connects to bike (blue dot) and continues scanning for HRM. If I stop the scan, both dots change to black.
In both cases, a black dot could be mistaken for meaning connected. Wouldn't the following be more self explanatory (user friendly): When scan is stopped, the devices "found" changed to black, and "not found" changed to grey.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden

I hope this helps...
When I look at the power figures I just see random crap. I will try smart power with my old bike firmware but I guess it wont work at all. I will order the Remote as well. Nice addition.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
@PaoloBLEvo

You are right, the remote for these kind of smart changes (but also zooming in and out on the map) works superb! I called o synce about two weeks ago and then they told me that there is another production order running. They should be on stock again soon.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Really very helpful. I accidentally changed the speed to 25 km/h & was wondering how to get back to exactly 28.8 km/h as it was not 28.0 or 29.0. I'll try that.

Also the Battery Monitor is very useful & I think should be more prominent! Also I wonder if individual cell data could be displayed as an option though I'm guessing that would require CAN bus type access to the battery.

Do you have a fake wheel circumference set at 2000 in the motor? If so, then you might touched the real wheel circumference slider in BLEvo. BLEvo calculates the real max speed based on the fake WC and the real WC which you should set. I recently changed the original real wheel circumference from 2300mm to 2270mm and this resulted now in a theoretical max. speed of 28,4km/h. However the power in reality drops around 30km/h. (so there is a slight overshoot)

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hi BLEvo friends,

As I noticed many new users have sometimes challenges to setup their initial settings as BLEvo offers many options to customize each individual riders preference. Therefore I thought it would might be helpful to share my settings as a guideline:
1568364654327.png

Side note: Theoretical speed limit of 28,4km/h above is based on wheel circumference of 2000. LBS can change this setting to this minimum 2000 value if desired. However in practice the assitance drops around 30km/h. (so there is a slight overshoot above the theoretical speed limit)

1568364671543.png

With normal mtb riders I use the settings below but change smart power level to around 250W in eco which resulted for last two rides with a total of 66,64km with 630hm in an average consumption of 2,6Wh/km. Both rides together I only consumed 173Wh which would offer a theoretical range of 192km with 1815hm based on a Levo 2019 Comp with 500Wh battery.

If you get too tired during the ride, simply reduce the smart power via the optional remote control and/or switch to trail:
1568364699627.png

Underneath screenshots of the offline high quality OpenAndroMaps which I downloaded to the BV6000 only once:
1568364728803.png

1568364744146.png

1568364758577.png

Last edited:

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Does this app calculate the range left on the battery in miles/Km. the Bosch Purion does this and it’s quite useful.

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
@PaoloBLEvo - I have a suggestion

On the home screen:
  • if scan is stopped, the flashing dots always stop as black not grey.
  • if I don't have my HRM; it connects to bike (blue dot) and continues scanning for HRM. If I stop the scan, both dots change to black.
In both cases, a black dot could be mistaken for meaning connected. Wouldn't the following be more self explanatory (user friendly): When scan is stopped, the devices "found" changed to black, and "not found" changed to grey.
Why you need to stop the scan?
If you stop the scan, BLEvo cannot be sure that the peripheral is present and able to be connected..
I know that the LED colors are not user friendly but it is correct.
Do you prefer color grey when the scan is stopped?

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Why you need to stop the scan?
I agree. I have no reason to stop the scan but the option is there.
If you stop the scan, BLEvo cannot be sure that the peripheral is present and able to be connected..
I know that the LED colors are not user friendly but it is correct.
Do you prefer color grey when the scan is stopped?
Yes, grey when stopped would be more user friendly. (y)

I'm just trying to help you polish your excellent app, cheers :)

Last edited:

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I have 2 more suggestions, sigh :unsure:
  1. In Bike Monitor, I see initially 4 flashing red dots. The first 3 change to a yellow thumbs up icon when connected. The 4th dot (HRM) disappears when connected, on closer inspection a number representing my heart rate is displayed. I think it would be better to display both a thumbs up as well as the HR value. If HRM is always the last item in the list of devices then displaying both (icon & value) shouldn't be a problem.
    1. My aviation friend says the "thumbs up" icon colour should be green. Just a green dot would be fine. From his point of view: green = fully functional; amber = an issue; and red = non-functional.
  2. Could you please make it easier to change bikes?
    Currently to change bikes, I go into menu Configuration -> Bike/cardio/remote control scan... and it immediately finds my other bike, I select it and it prompts me enter a name. I know it doesn't take long to enter a name, but it would a nice feature if BLEvo could remember the name from the first time I named it.

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
Peak District and Cornwall, UK
  1. In Bike Monitor, I see initially 4 flashing red dots. The first 3 change to a yellow thumbs up icon when connected. The 4th dot (HRM) disappears when connected, on closer inspection a number representing my heart rate is displayed. I think it would be better to display both a thumbs up as well as the HR value. If HRM is always the last item in the list of devices then displaying both (icon & value) shouldn't be a problem.
    1. My aviation friend says the "thumbs up" icon colour should be green. Just a green dot would be fine. From his point of view: green = fully functional; amber = an issue; and red = non-functional.
    Currently to change bikes, I go into menu Configuration -> Bike/cardio/remote control scan... and it immediately finds my other bike, I select it and it prompts me enter a name. I know it doesn't take long to enter a name, but it would a nice feature if BLEvo could remember the name from the first time I named it.
I also think the “thumbs up” should be green for functional. Dots would be fine too, my old eyes can’t really see the small icons anyway...?

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
About the LED color, I will try to change in something more user friendly.
About the request of the name, I will check because the name should be asked only the first time, or when you have a long press on the bike name..

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
I’m configuring the data fields for my display. Is there a diagram that shows which data field is on the display, or do I just use trial and error to get the information in the box I want..?
Sorry but I don't understand.. the name of the field should be auto-explaned..
Could you describe better what you want? Thanks..

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
Sorry but I don't understand.. the name of the field should be auto-explaned..
Could you describe better what you want? Thanks..
I knew I wasn’t clear...!

For the example, when I select “Data 5” = Descent, I don’t know which box on the screen this will be shown. I can do it by trying each one to find out, but it would help if there was a map that showed which box was which field.

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
I knew I wasn’t clear...!

For the example, when I select “Data 5” = Descent, I don’t know which box on the screen this will be shown. I can do it by trying each one to find out, but it would help if there was a map that showed which box was which field.
The fields are in order from left to right, then from top to bottom..
For the horizontal display is the opposite
I will do a map.. that I think it is better..

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
There is a lot of talk about phones on here, and I thought I'd share what I have done.....

Phone - I purchased a Ulefone Armor X2, reasons I chose this phone are...
- GPS (Obvious)
- Fingerprint / face unlock - Easier than typing a PIN every time
- NFC - So I can use it for google pay when out and about should I need to buy something
- Screen - Pretty high res / pretty large which is great for maps
- Wifi - Beware, not all cheap android phones have wifi!
- 3g/4g - Supportrs all frequencies used in Europe (again beware as many cheap ones are either 3g only, or don't support all frequencies)
- Price - I think it was less than £150
- Dual SIM - Or in this case SIM + Expandable memory via Micro SD
- Protection - Waterproof / Shockproof / Mudproof / Smash Proof - Its been dropped / rained on / thrown around and it still looks like new!
- Battery Life - it never seems to run out! on a 4-5 hour ride with screen always on will often use <25% battery!

The phone however does have some let downs.
- Its not very fast compared to more modern phones.
- Its heavy

Phone mount - just a basic (aluminium) one from Amazon. It has a threaded adjustment bar to accept multiple phone sizes and can be in landscape or portrait orientation (needs an allen key to change though). Very sturdy and grips the phone well. Price was around £10

SIM Card (UK) - I have an o2 pay as you go SIM so that in an emergency I can make calls / send texts. The SIM was £10 (which included £10 of credit, when I registered it online I got another £10 and then after registration o2 sent me an email with another free £10 credit - in total I got £30 worth of credit with the SIM card. Calls are 3p per minute, texts are 2p each, data is 1p per MB. Only caveat is that I have to perform a chargeable "event" every six months, to achieve this I have a calendar reminder and send a text message (2p) to my main phone once every 3 months! I switch off the data on the phone and only use wifi.

SDCard - I put a spare 32gb SD card into the phone and downloaded the free OpenAndro maps to this card. I have most of Europe on there with room to spare! They work perfectly when out and about without requiring a data connection.

And then of course I have the Blevo app - in all honesty I really do think that this app would still be a bargain at 5x the price! Theres more than enough detail regarding the app on this thread and Paolo obviously listens to feedback and is constantly improving the app, sometimes with big features, sometimes with very small tweaks.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
About the LED color, I will try to change in something more user friendly.
About the request of the name, I will check because the name should be asked only the first time, or when you have a long press on the bike name..
About the bike name, I checked just now; your correct, my mistake. Sorry.
Sometime back I was trying to get "Stealth mode" to work and I couldn't so I removed the app and reinstalled; hence why I had to enter names again.

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
Hi Couplands,

Hereby an overview of the customizable data fields in combination with the different Android displays:

View attachment 18572
View attachment 18573
Personally I really like the "Horizontal BM 4+1+1+4" version where you can configure for map view 4 data fields.

Paolo will add them to the manual.
Perfect, just what I was looking for. I agree that the "Horizontal BM 4+1+1+4" is a great configuration.

I just need to decide what my favourite data fields are...?

kellermann

Nov 2, 2018
Germany
I have just released version 3.5.5 of BLEvo for Android.
I added the very useful bell functionality via the remote control. In the attached video you can hear an example (ps: activate the audio).
Another useful feature is the possibility of viewing GPX in fullscreen mode.

Here are all the changes:
- Added GPX support without end point tag </trkpt>
- Added GPX import checks
- The privacy field is no longer possible to use for uploading activities (Strava decision)
- Added the sound of the bell (and of General Lee) in the remote commands
- Added possibility to remove the WayPoint of beginning and end of the course
- Added possibility to save WayPoints with date and time without having to enter a text
- Added possibility to remove buttons from the map
- Added buttons to display / hide the elevation graph and the buttons on the map (also with remote control)
- Fixed vocal message of ascent (now without comma)
- Fixed vocal message of the distance under the km
- Now the scan button on the home page has no timeout
- Correct display of speed and min / max slope in the map
- Correct display of the bike name in the title bar
- Now the tour map does not display the battery value at zero
- Correct reading of data for the elevation chart with <ele> tag at the beginning of the line
- Added average assistance percentage in short statistics
- Now the total km of the bike are always displayed in the bike monitor. The last value received is displayed
- Now the full screen of the GPX import is "more" fullscreen
- Now the speed multiplier is in scale x 10

Update from Google Play.
Have fun with BLEvo.

Since Version 3.5.5 i am not able to upload my ride to Strava, even when the privacy field is unchecked. A new authorization to Strava changed nothing. I always get this error message

Screenshot_20190915-144826.png

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
This is probably a very simple issue, but when I’m running BLevo, on a ride in monitor mode, the app doesn’t allow the phone to time out and turn the display off. Consequently the battery drain is higher than I’d like.

Any help getting it to auto turn off the display much appreciated.

I’m using an old Samsung Galaxy S5 with BLevo v3.5.5.

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
Hi Paolo,

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but thought I'd let you know......

- When not following a track (GPX) the elevation profile on the map view is obviously blank, so I turn it off - however if the ride is paused (manual pause by hitting the pause button) when the ride is resumed the elevation profile is shown again and has to be switched off again. Auto pause does not do this, just manual pause. Would it be possible for the on/off setting to be remembered between manual pauses of the ride?

I also have an idea for an enhancement related to this.....

- If no GPX / Elevation is loaded, could the elevation section at the bottom of the map be used to build up a picture of the elevation of the ride so far? Blevo has the data of elevation and distance and it might be good to have a visual of this as we ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles