The MTB videos Thread. Funny, Serious, Cool ... Share them here.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I don't think she is fearless; she is gutsy! Often she'll say that she is shaky or scared; other times she just has confidence where her partner doesn't :)
You’ve nailed it on the head!

What can I say, I’m a fan of hers and a recent subscriber to her channel. It’s a known fact that Japanese get their L’s and R’s mixed up... it’s a quirk that I actually find adorable. Speaking of quirks, my wife pointed out to me many years ago that I have this tendency to very quickly and unknowingly mirror the accent of whom ever I’m speaking with - because I’m inherently empathic.

So with mixed fear and fondness - and no disrespect to her accent, I could just about imagine her calling me out to say “GlanPa Blogan San, it’s youl tuln to do the big dlop!” To which I would answer, “Solly Yuka, Blogan don’t have big Barrs!“ ??

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Excellent ! I do the same, it's almost got me into trouble a few times as people have thought I was taking the piss ! :)

There is a proper term for it, but I can't remember what it is.
Same here. Do you speak more than one language @Zimmerframe ? I do, so I thought that was why.

Funny thing is that my daughter and son have the same tendency but they only speak Kiwi English (not Aussie English let's be clear ;)). My son who has been living in Vancouver for less than a year now speaks fluent Canadian English and we give him a hard time a-bouwt it, when we're face-timing haha. So a strong sense of empathy appears to be the culprit. Unfortunately it can also be misconstrued as a form of racism.

Google calls it the Chameleon Effect or sometimes called Mirroring - but I think that encompasses everything like copying hand gestures, body movements, speech patterns and even vocal tone. But that's not it - for me it's just the accent, I think it's just plainly called Empathic Parroting. My wife and I met in an international school which is where she noticed my accent kept changing when we were having a discussion in a mixed group (be it all in English). It was a constructive environment, so no harm no foul. These days I can catch myself doing it early enough, and stop myself as soon as I do.

I think the one you're thinking of is another thing entirely which is called ECHOLALIA. It's considered a psychiatric disorder that involves the subconscious if not uncontrollable tendency to repeat a word by the other person. I have two friends that have this. They unknowingly repeat the last word I say in just about every sentence I speak - even if they're just listening. *Listening. Yes that's what I just said. *Said. You get the picture. *Picture.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Same here. Do you speak more than one language @Zimmerframe ? I do, so I thought that was why.
I do, but I used to do it before hand and weirdly used to pick up new languages really easily/quickly. As far as I know, I only mimic accents in English though.

I only need to be about three words in and I'm in Kiwi or Aussie.

My wife and I met in an international school
Were you her teacher ? :)

These days I can catch myself doing it early enough, and stop myself as soon as I do.

I still struggle to stop. I then sometimes find I carry on for 48 hours !!! Pro Parrot ?

I think the one you're thinking of is another thing entirely which is called ECHOLALIA. It's considered a psychiatric disorder that involves the subconscious if not uncontrollable tendency to repeat a word by the other person. I have two friends that have this. They unknowingly repeat the last word I say in just about every sentence I speak - even if they're just listening. *Listening. Yes that's what I just said. *Said. You get the picture. *Picture.

I wouldn't be able to resist trying to control the conversation direction to abuse this for amusement !! :)

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I'm not trying to create a Yuka bandwagon; I thought there is some good info here that I haven't come across before. Yuka has recorded her crashes and what sort of features she crashed on. This seems like a useful idea; it can give direction to what skills you need to improve for what you are riding.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I'm not trying to create a Yuka bandwagon; I thought there is some good info here that I haven't come across before. Yuka has recorded her crashes and what sort of features she crashed on. This seems like a useful idea; it can give direction to what skills you need to improve for what you are riding.

That's what I like about Yuka's channel... she is relate-able for the average (or above average) rider. Whereas most other video channels are about race pros or highly advanced skill level riders... great to watch but there's a disconnect (for me anyway).

Yuka takes you along with her growth journeys, her fails, crashes, etc. And when she achieves what was considered insurmountable to begin with... I cheer her on. I have to watch myself and not be carried away by her enthusiasm, often wishing I was young again and can just simply stand up right after casing it. These days, I can't even open a jar of pickles let alone hold on to a handlebar as long as she had to on that video!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
That's what I like about Yuka's channel... she is relate-able for the average (or above average) rider. Whereas most other video channels are about race pros or highly advanced skill level riders... great to watch but there's a disconnect (for me anyway).

Yuka takes you along with her growth journeys, her fails, crashes, etc. And when she achieves what was considered insurmountable to begin with... I cheer her on. I have to watch myself and not be carried away by her enthusiasm, often wishing I was young again and can just simply stand up right after casing it. These days, I can't even open a jar of pickles let alone hold on to a handlebar as long as she had to on that video!
Another coincidence, of course :ROFLMAO:; yesterday I rode a black trail that I've been avoiding for a year or so. Last time I tried was on an ancient 26" clockwork, and I was shaky; ended up getting my knee stitched. Yesterday I ran through without stopping or eyeballing anything - got a quick look just before dropping in to the various features. I know I took better lines than last time and back then I stopped and looked. And the beauty of the emtb - I rode up my techy climb and down the black track a 2nd time :). Thanks Yuka :ROFLMAO:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Another coincidence, of course :ROFLMAO:; yesterday I rode a black trail that I've been avoiding for a year or so. Last time I tried was on an ancient 26" clockwork, and I was shaky; ended up getting my knee stitched. Yesterday I ran through without stopping or eyeballing anything - got a quick look just before dropping in to the various features. I know I took better lines than last time and back then I stopped and looked. And the beauty of the emtb - I rode up my techy climb and down the black track a 2nd time :). Thanks Yuka :ROFLMAO:

This is me below standing on the very edge of a double black diamond 10 foot ladder drop...

needing-approval.gif

Me: (looks back and asks) What do you think... should I do it, Yuka?

Yuka: (Nods her head like Master Yoda, as if to say...) Ah just do it GlanPaBlogan San, maybe it won't hurt so bad!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
EPIC !!! and head hurting ..

Start at 2:15 on this one for where Sam said he got the idea ... I think @Rob Rides EMTB should do his next bike review third person like this .. or maybe get @TheBikePilot to do it as he's the camera guy :) .. what could go wrong ..

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Think you can ride your emtb quicker than normal bikes?

Think again

Reminds me of what till this day is still the sketchiest thing I ever did on a bike, when I lived out in the alps in the late 90's towards the end of one season with did the descent from the top of the Col de L'Iseran (highest paved road in Europe) down to Bourg St Maurice, group of us (mostly mad frenchies in the Cedric Garcia mould) got kitted up in full faces and whatever protection we could find, borrowed what MTB' the local shop would let us have, and pinned it from top to bottom - top part was only just rideable as snow was still melting, but we where flying past cars, all over the road, cutting switch backs over the grass etc etc - miracle no one go seriously injured but one hell of a buzz!

The road down ends next to the only McDonalds in the region, and that was our celebratory meal at the end :cool:

Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 12.01.51.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That sounds amazing @R120

Longest road descent I've ever done was Le Col Du Tourmalet in the Pyrenees on a busy sunny late summers day. I think it's one of the highest TDF climb/descents, certainly in the Pyrenees anyway. and the descent off each side is 11miles long.
My partner at the time and I were driving over the Col and I had a DH bike in the van so it semed rude not to. I'm not a bad road descender by any standard but the speed some of the better roadies overtook the DH bike at and cornered at was eyeopening to say the least. Early on a Cow jumped off a grass verge straight onto the road infront of me and in another section the road went into mist/fog and exiting one of the open tunnels with collumns/pillars through the thick fog there was a lone dog wandering around in the middle of the road with no owner. Mental! Even after stopping and using my best 1st year secondary school French to get the dog to "arret" by the side. the wait for my GF and the van at the bottom took ages. She did say had passed a dog sat obediently by the roadside :)

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Freewheeling single speed... rim brakes... foot-long stems... rigid forks... no saddle... and platform pedals + flat sole shoes... ?

Wonderful! ?

gee, some people can do whatever they can imagine. I've never seen that before - hanging on with the front wheel while the rear is floating nearly horizontal!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Think you can ride your emtb quicker than normal bikes?

Think again

I cracked 79km/h on an ancient mtb with rim brakes once. And it was down this long gravel downhill road running above a creek - I called it the wallaby descent - there were always wallabies crossing to the creek or back from it :oops:. I get anxious thinking about it now :LOL:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Woohoo! :ROFLMAO: A few of us here seem to have motorcycling backgrounds and are in the age group to probably remember this. I remember being inspired by this film as a kid - first time I'd seen trials. And looking at it now, it looks like dragster bikes were pre bmx! Geez, they were shitful things; all the weight on the seat, stupid great handlebars with a one bolt clamp to hold all that leverage.

Also interesting, Mert Lawwill, one of the main subjects of this film, was later well know for designing Lawwill DH-9 full-suspension downhill bike

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I cracked 79km/h on an ancient mtb with rim brakes once.
Cool. but get a roadbike. I hit 70km/h almost every road ride I do. rim brakes. 23mm tyres. no helmet.
There's one descent local to me where if the wind's kind to you you can hit 90km/h. A couple of hundred meters after the fastest point there's a cattle grid. hopping it at 40mph+ is a lot of fun ;)

On any Sunday is an awesome film. whether you're into motorbikes or not. (I'm not)

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Cool. but get a roadbike. I hit 70km/h almost every road ride I do. rim brakes. 23mm tyres. no helmet.
There's one descent local to me where if the wind's kind to you you can hit 90km/h. A couple of hundred meters after the fastest point there's a cattle grid. hopping it at 40mph+ is a lot of fun ;)

On any Sunday is an awesome film. whether you're into motorbikes or not. (I'm not)
Geez, you ride road too! Not for me - too many people driving cars that aren't drivers. I do scuttle about the back roads, paths etc when cutting through suburbia like a rabbit running from cover to cover :LOL:. I assume all drivers are out to get me :oops:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I cycle commute 80-100 miles a week into the City and through rush hour traffic. But from home ride my roadbike for 4 hours and see maybe 10 cars the entire ride it's so quiet.

Drivers aren't out to get you. but you do need to pre-empt their next move and not assume they even have seen you. Pedestrians are just as bad. I turned a blind corner in the cycle lane of a 2 lane city centre road this morning to be confrunted by a fucking runner running in the wrong direction up the cycle lane, railings on the inside, no pavement and a drop 15ft behind the railings so the tracksuited gimp couldn't even jump out of the way had something large been passing me.

I kinda enjoy playing in traffic

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles