The Crash Thread

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
my grand son first time over the bars good job it was very soft going not very happy.

iok52sm9RX+YDiRjwnHvuA.jpg

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
First one is my arm after a very low speed low side. the second dips my boy, who gouged his knee doing wheelies.

9E29CB9E-7234-40D3-A174-611831A3E12F.jpeg

DE7478E1-535F-4DEE-B085-1F002A53519F.jpeg

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
on the 8th of this month.
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1057.JPG
was on a pump track trying to improve my skills, went up a steep ramp about 3 metres high and didnt commit with enough speed. Front wheel came up and I rolled over backwards. tried not to put my hand down to brake my fall so that I wouldnt break my arm. Landed on my elbow which drove enough force into the top of my arm to collapse it and my shoulder. I'll be back.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
Going down the National trail with a prototype video camera on the helmet I got sloppy and went OTB; said some not very nice words rotating in the air.

Once my rear wheel left the ground the whole event was over in three video frames; or about a tenth of a second but it seemed like I was in the air forever; bike and I did a full 360 with the bike landing on top of me. No serious injury or even bleeding and the camera was unscathed despite the rocky landing. When I get to work I might add a still of the upside-down rotating world.

Testing another camera a random mountain biker laughed and pointed at the camera and said “You know that thing is the jynx of doom” and I think he may be right.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A mate of mine turned up at one of my guided rides in Sherwood Forest with a camera on the top of his helmet. I told him that "I'd give it no more then 1 mile before that gets knocked off!" He managed a few hundred yards more than a mile and it ended up in one foot of muddy water (with soft mud at the bottom). It was a big puddle and he got wet and muddy feet as well as wet and muddy arms! :LOL:

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
When using an action camera I use a chest mount. I have a helmet mount (the breakaway type) but as @steve_sordy mentions it is prone to get broken off, the few times it has happened I’ve been lucky to find it again :) - on the other hand I’ve had a few times where it was caught by a branch, stuck and I had some stress to the neck before it released it self.
If the breakaway doesn’t work properly it can be fatal in a crash - you’ve all heard of Michael Schuhmacher who stumbled while skiing and hit his helmet camera on a rock with fatal head injurie.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
I hate explaining my jokes. They never seem as funny afterwards!

@OldBean
You posted: AT 79 I think I am "over the edge!":eek:

@Trail-Niels said "Depends on how you define the edge"

I replied with: "In @OldBean 's case the edge is a hill.:ROFLMAO:"

In other words "AT 79 I think I am "over the hill!" :eek:

See! Not funny any more! :(
After all - it's better to be riding a bike than not getting out at all (y)

Chubba

Sep 17, 2019
Cape Town, South Africa
Jonkjershoek in Cape Town, very dry, sandy and rutted. Very lucky not to hit my head on one of those rocks - time to watch - 2.23. We all need mates that just laugh at you!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Came off on a greasy roundabout last night doing 25mph+
Slid across the damp tarmac on my hip and forearm moto GP style. Luckily no damage to me or the bike other than a tiny bit of road rash so I got straight up and dragged the bike out of the path of the following double decker bus.
DSC_2135.JPG

Still unsure of whether Schwalbe Moto X lacking grip are to blame or the surface truly is incredibly slippy... Both wheels Slid at exactly the same time at a lean angle far less than I'd commit to a flat corner on my roadbike with 23/25c tyres (or a hard packed flat corner on hard compound DHFs).
Am thinking (hoping) the road is the culprit as I've seen a few boy racers drift that roundabout at pretty low speed.
Winter commuting is going to be pretty interesting if it's just the tyres.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Still unsure of whether Schwalbe Moto X lacking grip are to blame or the surface truly is incredibly slippy

Just stick at it, you'll get the hang of it eventually. Have you considered any riding courses ? :) Did you spill your beer and chips ?

A splash of diesel on a roundabout and you're toast ! Don't worry though, you've got about 30mm of rain due starting later this afternoon that will wash it off nicely .. once it's been though the even slippier wet diesel phase ..

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Might be waiting a while. Its the driest area in Scotland, way way drier than the UK average. It also just happens to be the sunniest place in the UK. Quite a bit drier than Brittany too.

Ever been?

Bring warm clothes.

No. Chips or beer were damaged in this production

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Might be waiting a while. Its the driest area in Scotland, way way drier than the UK average. It also just happens to be the sunniest place in the UK. Quite a bit drier than Brittany too.

Ever been?

Bring warm clothes.

No. Chips or beer were damaged in this production

Edinburgh was my favourite goto place for Hogmanay for several years ... a long time ago !!!

As a newby to MTB .. I've never ridden there...

Brittany's kinda renown for being WET in the winter ... It's rained pretty much none stop for two weeks.. Went out with the dog last night to walk some trails to see what they'd be like for riding, most were just rivers of water .. the others were soupy mud... So I've got no excuses when I fall off this afternoon.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My youngest's Mother is born and bred from brittany... I've been there a lot... (I rarely travel without a bike) The mtb riding in brittany is pretty shit TBH! Great BMX Track in St Beuec though

I'm 19miles East of Edinburgh... Where it's far drier. The roundabout is half way between.
Mtb riding here isn't the best. But half an hour South of here it's some of the best in the world.
You should come!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
My youngest's Mother is born and bred from brittany... I've been there a lot... (I rarely travel without a bike) The mtb riding in brittany is pretty shit TBH! Great BMX Track in St Beuec though

I'm 19miles East of Edinburgh... Where it's far drier. The roundabout is half way between.
Mtb riding here isn't the best. But half an hour South of here it's some of the best in the world.
You should come!

It's worrying to think about how global "Gary Wet Lady Syndrome" has spread over the years ... :)

You're not wrong about Brittany and MTB. It lacks mountains !! I'm lucky that it's not too bad where I am at on the south side of lac de guerledan - still no mountains, but at least there's a reasonable variation of trails (if you're willing to go out with a chainsaw and brush cutter to keep them open) and some altitude variation, though the longest "entertaining" downhill segment is only 1km long.

I guess you're talking about Innerleithen ?? Looks pretty spectacular !!!!!!! I'm going to have to take a week or two out at some point and do a UK eMTB tour (with my paramedics).

Do you mean St-Brieuc BMX ?? I can never spell it properly either for some reason :) I'm about 40 mins south of there.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Auto correct fucked up my spelling of St Brieuc.

I'm not just talking about Innerleithen but the entire area (basically the valley from Galashiels to the other side of Peebles there are hills on either side littered with quality trails.. Pretty much every type of mtb riding you could want bar a proper jump bike park

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Auto correct fucked up my spelling of St Brieuc.

I'm not just talking about Innerleithen but the entire area (basically the valley from Galashiels to the other side of Peebles there are hills on either side littered with quality trails.. Pretty much every type of mtb riding you could want bar a proper jump bike park

I hope you've not slept with anyone I have ... this damned rash ....

Did you say bar ! I'm coming ..

Ok, sign me up on the Scottish Lowland Assisted Velo Excursion scheme next year, it sounds good ! :)

I'll have a proper look at the area later, hadn't realised it was quite so extensive !

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
Wet wooden skinnies that cross rivers and e bikes don't play nice together.
Just saying :p

Rider and bike fully submerged, no damage done to either thankfully, just a soggy ride home :LOL:

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
IMG_20200808_123455.jpg

One of the more serious falls two years ago. My front wheel locked up in a corner, the bike stayed between my legs and I did a massive OTB. The leg held, the handlebars bent. Observe the prescribed moments so that the stem bends more easily. IMG_20200808_123446.jpg IMG_20200808_124014.jpg IMG_20200808_124228.jpg IMG_20200812_115949.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles