SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Ebike Motor Repair Center
Just saw a video about this place on EMBN. Great news but they don't support Bafang motors yet. We need to lobby them. They have affiliates all over the world so it could be great news for motor repairs.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
If you are interested in a source for EMTB Bafang motor repair it might be worth sending Peter or your local affiliate an email.
"
Hello Mike,
Thank you for your enquiry. Bafang is a motor we hope to support in the near future. The only problem in the UK is that there are only a few over here relative to the big players like Bosch etc. It maybe a good idea to ask this question of our US partner too. He may want to support these earlier than we do as the numbers over there may make it more economically viable. You can find Michael's contact details here: Where To Buy - eBike Motor Centre (Performance Line Bearings)
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Peter Collard
eBike Motor Centre
Unit 1, The Glenmore Centre
Sandleheath Ind. Est.
Fordingbridge
Hampshire
SP6 1TE
Tel: +44(0)1425 656656
"

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
If you are interested in a source for EMTB Bafang motor repair it might be worth sending Peter or your local affiliate an email.
"
Hello Mike,
Thank you for your enquiry. Bafang is a motor we hope to support in the near future. The only problem in the UK is that there are only a few over here relative to the big players like Bosch etc. It maybe a good idea to ask this question of our US partner too. He may want to support these earlier than we do as the numbers over there may make it more economically viable. You can find Michael's contact details here: Where To Buy - eBike Motor Centre (Performance Line Bearings)
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Peter Collard
eBike Motor Centre
Unit 1, The Glenmore Centre
Sandleheath Ind. Est.
Fordingbridge
Hampshire
SP6 1TE
Tel: +44(0)1425 656656
Being in the US my plan for Bafang motor repair was to fly to the China for repair assistance.You know, make it a vacation!😁.

Or just buy a spare, while I attempt to service the Bafang motor locally and leave it with them likely for several weeks or even months while servicing it. Bafang does eventually respond positively to the dealer shop.. For my M600, I had to let them borrow my BESST tool. Fortunately, the shop didn't even charge me extra to borrow it.🤣😵 Seriously, they are just now starting to deal with inboard mid mount motors rather than the older BBHD external motors that mount on the analog bottom bracket.

There needs to more Bafanger service shops if something happens. In part because the consumer may not be able to source the actual part needed even if the repair can be DIY-made, at least for the newer M820. Like a proper motor gasket replacement. Now I will have to make my own--too much DIY?😝

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
2 new items by Michael Bryant : A couple of small jumps on the CEF50.

I've lost some bolts off my linkage bushings. I replaced them with off the shelf washers and bolts but I think they are contributing to some extra squeaking. Am I going to have to order some from Shenzhen Zhaosheng or are there compatible busings sold by other brands?
I searched way back in May to source one locally. I lost one bolt (easy to find) and beveled washer (could not find) on the main pivot. I had to get it from SZZS unfortunately.😕

Also, decided to go Ti custom pins and shouldered bolts. Honestly, the OEM were a little too janky. They work for most, but I wanted more standard linkage fasteners. Kind of an inherent weakness in my mind.

Olafmetal

Nov 18, 2022
USA
I searched way back in May to source one locally. I lost one bolt (easy to find) and beveled washer (could not find) on the main pivot. I had to get it from SZZS unfortunately.😕

Also, decided to go Ti custom pins and shouldered bolts. Honestly, the OEM were a little too janky. They work for most, but I wanted more standard linkage fasteners. Kind of an inherent weakness in my mind.
They are pretty janky compared to my other bikes. Is the Ti hardware noticeably nicer? What company and how much ?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
They are pretty janky compared to my other bikes. Is the Ti hardware noticeably nicer? What company and how much ?
Quick answer...too much! $400 total. Sure they're Ti and turquoise for extra bling, but didn't save that much weight.😑

The mating bolts were made larger, so the pins had to accommodate. Figured that was the real value, greater torisonal strength for our bridgeless rocker swing arm.💪

But you could easily get the same mating shouldered bolts made with Aluminum to fit the existing OEM pins. I'd bet less than a $75 for all 6. My Ti bolts ran about $30/each. Alloy would be cheaper.

Here's the HukTek email. Derrick is the owner: [email protected].
171029073777431421552211620419.jpg

ymmr32

Jul 13, 2022
Japan
What is the weight of the fork in ruseltate? Did you get a new fork and upgrade kit or was the fork used?
I have Kitsune 38, 36, 34, 36 Denki, Manitou, Ohlins 36, and RS, but even when I used the thin fork 34, it never broke. I just have a lot of anxiety about braking and steep hills. The weight of the 38 and 36 Denki was almost the same. It's winter now, so I'm riding with a 36 coil and a 180mm stroke. DSC_0002_111116.jpg

Attachments

• Sample pdf.pdf
    98.8 KB · Views: 46

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Ebike Motor Repair Center
Just saw a video about this place on EMBN. Great news but they don't support Bafang motors yet. We need to lobby them. They have affiliates all over the world so it could be great news for motor repairs.
I asked a US ebike repair center about Bafang motors and this was their reply;

"We have a kit for them but are not servicing them yet because it is almost as much to have us service as it is to replace. But they are not difficult for a do it yourself job with our kit.

Sincerely,
Owner: Michael Damico"

They are based out of Tennessee and seem to do real quality work.

voigtkampff

Oct 18, 2023
Poland
View attachment 136282
M size frame, Fidlock 590ml bottle, the gap is barely there and it is difficult to put on and take off.
It seems they must have moved bottle cage holes at least 2cm down in later models - taking measurements from your photo I guess the upper hole is approx. 18cm from the tube start on your frame but it's like 20-21cm on mine. Could you measure this and confirm?

voigtkampff

Oct 18, 2023
Poland
I'm sorry if spamming too much, but after fixing all the initial issues (rattling cables, loose headset) I'm really starting to like this bike. Currently, the remaining issues that I see are:
  • minor cable rattling in the headtube - I haven't used foam tubes there so as not to increase friction while moving the handlebar. I will probably have to live with that;
  • mud ingress into the "engine compartment", any known solutions to sealing this?
  • mud accumulation in the lower suspension bearings area; I will look for a mudguard long enough to protect both chainstay and seatstay bearings (and my bottom too). Does anybody have a working solution to this problem, could you share link to your mudguard?
IMG_1169.jpg

Last edited:

masahirov

Jan 24, 2024
tokyo japan
It seems they must have moved bottle cage holes at least 2cm down in later models - taking measurements from your photo I guess the upper hole is approx. 18cm from the tube start on your frame but it's like 20-21cm on mine. Could you measure this and confirm?
IMG_7883.jpeg

The length to the top bolt of the bottle cage seems to be about 20cm. Is this method of measurement correct?

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
mud accumulation in the lower suspension bearings area; I will look for a mudguard long enough to protect both chainstay and seatstay bearings (and my bottom too). Does anybody have a working solution to this problem, could you share link to your mudguard?
Alot of people make a flap out of an old innertube and use double stick tape to cover pivots. I used @Zimmerframe method of trimming a spare zip tie front fender on the rear of my E-Mythique. Might be able to work something like this in.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Steve Jones of EMBN "M820 75nmn I call that full power" "for me this is probably state of the art"
2:51 is the Bafang section.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles