Strive:ON problems

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I received the temporary solutions from canyon. It is 100% what I did. So I'm happy. View attachment 128667

View attachment 128666
That is the latch, the original from Bosch, and what comes originaly in the Strive :ON.

Canyon hasn't developed anything...

Repeating:
It's Bosch part, EQUAL to the original part.

In conclusion:
If you don't use a zipmod, it will be a mater of time, to replace the part, AGAIN.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
The kit...or better still, the replacemen kit.

20231110_190515.jpg

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
That is the latch, the original from Bosch, and what comes originaly in the Strive :ON.

Canyon hasn't developed anything...

Repeating:
It's Bosch part, EQUAL to the original part.

In conclusion:
If you don't use a zipmod, it will be a mater of time, to replace the part, AGAIN.
i disagree, it Looks like they have fixed a black spacer into it. But i do agree he should still strap it up with cable ties

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
i disagree, it Looks like they have fixed a black spacer into it. But i do agree he should still strap it up with cable ties
It's not a matter of agreeing, or disagreeing.

IF you KNOW what you are speaking about, you would know, that it's a rubber to isolate the end of the battery.

Took some pictures of the "rubber", and assembled to the latch.

This "RUBBER", IS assembled on the Canyon Strive :ON, and is NOT an aftermarket or solution.
If, your Canyon doesn't have, then it's missing.
The rubber WILL NOT solve the problem.

20231110_190837.jpg 20231110_190840.jpg 20231110_190849.jpg

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Sorry mario but you must have poor eyesight, his looks nothing like yours, mine or anyone else's... look again...
Had to see it on the PC to check what you're said.

If this is actually a Canyon's solution, then I drop. all my hopes on actually having the problem solved.

@jonas, sorry for my post, but this part you received, with the plastic bit, came from Canyon, meaning official Canyon?
Because there is a guy, that has all Canyon images in FB, and is selling "Canyon's solution"...

Please take photos from the underside, to show the added part, since it looks like a bit of plastic, and I want to ask my contact at Canyon about it

Thanks

Last edited:

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Had to see it on the PC to check what you're said.

If this is actually a Canyon's solution, then I drop. all my hopes on actually having the problem solved.

@jonas, sorry for my post, but this part you received, with the plastic bit, came from Canyon, meaning official Canyon?
Because there is a guy, that has all Canyon images in FB, and is selling "Canyon's solution"...

Please take photos from the underside, to show the added part, since it looks like a bit of plastic, and I want to ask my contact at Canyon about it

Thanks
no problem mario.. aslong as you KNOW what your speaking about :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I'm hoping this is a temporary solution - that's what the guy who posted the photos of it said.

What sort of thickness is the spacer? I may try to find something to wedge in there rather than pay for the Facebook mod# which i assume does the exact same thing.

diablo

Jan 24, 2022
Italy
Hi, I'm seriously thinking about buying a Strive ON after a Rise;
given that I invite all those affected by the problem to watch the Cascade Components spoiler on their latest ig story, if I saw correctly they have fixed the problem ;)

However, I believe that a good portion of users have no interest in often removing the battery to recharge or switch it; for example, if I purchase it I will do so with the 625 battery, but with an eye on the 500 for lunch or sunset rides. But I will (almost) never take it off the bike.

So I really think I will make a modification to move the connector lower like Orbea Wild, creating a custom-made elongated bracket in the upper part of the tube, to be fixed in place of the current one.
This will lower the suspended masses downwards to the advantage of driving, will remove at least 100/200 grams of useless plastic and with the battery pressing on the connector the system will be "safer".
I will also be able to recover the spacer mounted on the 625 and use it in case of 500 (+/- 1 mm), with another weight and ride benefit.

The entire process is perfectly reversible in the event of sale or shipment of the bike to Canyon for repairs.

If I get the Strive I will evaluate the Orbea connectors / brackets but also those of the Neuron ON and if everything goes well I will not fail to post the modification here.

I attach the fixing and connection diagram of the Orbea Wild

p.s. as you can see Orbea indicates the blue Loctite threadlocker for the fixing screws of the upper and lower bracket

1699660321552.png

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
This ?
given that I invite all those affected by the problem to watch the Cascade Components spoiler on their latest ig story, if I saw correctly they have fixed the problem ;)

watch the Cascade Components spoiler on their latest ig story

This ?

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal

However, I believe that a good portion of users have no interest in often removing the battery to recharge or switch it; for example, if I purchase it I will do so with the 625 battery, but with an eye on the 500 for lunch or sunset rides. But I will (almost) never take it off the bike.

So I really think I will make a modification to move the connector lower like Orbea Wild, creating a custom-made elongated bracket in the upper part of the tube, to be fixed in place of the current one.
This will lower the suspended masses downwards to the advantage of driving, will remove at least 100/200 grams of useless plastic and with the battery pressing on the connector the system will be "safer".
I will also be able to recover the spacer mounted on the 625 and use it in case of 500 (+/- 1 mm), with another weight and ride benefit.

The entire process is perfectly reversible in the event of sale or shipment of the bike to Canyon for repairs.

If I get the Strive I will evaluate the Orbea connectors / brackets but also those of the Neuron ON and if everything goes well I will not fail to post the modification here.

I attach the fixing and connection diagram of the Orbea Wild

View attachment 128684

The idea is good, you would need to swap cables, but it's a solution, if (like you said), won"t be removing the battery.

And yes, battery would be lower placed lowering cg of the bike.

But I would prefer the Cascade solution.

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
Out of interest, do you have any pics and what does the "fix" appear to achieve? Does it just better spread the weight of the battery across the latch or something?
I don’t have any pictures but can take some later (currently the bike is covered in Lake District muck). The part makes the latch clip in more securely as it takes up the slack and movement in the latch once it’s clipped shut. It also then and most importantly spreads the weight across the sides. I can certainly see what it does to help. I’ll get some piccies up later

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
I'm hoping this is a temporary solution - that's what the guy who posted the photos of it said.

What sort of thickness is the spacer? I may try to find something to wedge in there rather than pay for the Facebook mod# which i assume does the exact same thing.
It is indeed a temporary solution from canyon. It is similar to what many people have done, including myself. My temporary solution worked well. It takes away the weight of the battery from the small clips which brake. I swapped the latch . Feels solid. Canyon said the final solution will take longer, which makes sense the need to order molds and test thoroughly,...

I'm still really happy with my bike. It rides amazing. I would advise it, regardless of this issue.

diablo

Jan 24, 2022
Italy
The idea is good, you would need to swap cables, but it's a solution, if (like you said), won"t be removing the battery.

And yes, battery would be lower placed lowering cg of the bike.

But I would prefer the Cascade solution.
I don't have the bike in front of me hehe but it should be enough to remove the cable track plate and then bring the connector to the bottom.

Another solution I'm thinking of for the 625/500 configuration, more plug & play, is to leave the connector at the top as stock but lengthen the aluminum plate to which it is fixed (shown in post no. 140) by a "gap " equal to the thickness of the original spacer mounted on the 625 battery (to be removed and kept for the 500 battery); in this case a little less weight saving but lowered center of gravity and improved handling like previous trick.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I don't have the bike in front of me hehe but it should be enough to remove the cable track plate and then bring the connector to the bottom.

Another solution I'm thinking of for the 625/500 configuration, more plug & play, is to leave the connector at the top as stock but lengthen the aluminum plate to which it is fixed (shown in post no. 140) by a "gap " equal to the thickness of the original spacer mounted on the 625 battery (to be removed and kept for the 500 battery); in this case a little less weight saving but lowered center of gravity and improved handling like previous trick.
The connector is bolted to the battery, or how is it secured?
It seems it has some kind of wook.

Screenshot_20231111_100555_Chrome.jpg

CHUS

Nov 10, 2023
Valencia
It's not a matter of agreeing, or disagreeing.

IF you KNOW what you are speaking about, you would know, that it's a rubber to isolate the end of the battery.

Took some pictures of the "rubber", and assembled to the latch.

This "RUBBER", IS assembled on the Canyon Strive :ON, and is NOT an aftermarket or solution.
If, your Canyon doesn't have, then it's missing.
The rubber WILL NOT solve the problem.

View attachment 128669 View attachment 128670 View attachment 128671
My new one (September) come with this lack and has broken too.

CHUS

Nov 10, 2023
Valencia
Glad your service support works properly, I've sent a service request almost 2 weeks ago, still nothing back from canyon, I did get a feedback request survey email for such service ticket, of course I've valued as 0 stars....I'm never buying a canyon again
Hola, yo soy de Valencia también. Y tras sufrir la desconexión contacté con canyon y me enviaron a The bike run en La Avenida de Aragon. Ya era hora que tuviéramos un servicio autorizado de Canyon en nuestra ciudad. De todos modos no dieron con el problema, he tenido que referirles a este foro y mostrarles la pestañas rotas. La bici la he recogido tras una actualización del firmware porque han pedido la pieza. En cuanto llegue la sustituyo y pongo el apaño de las bridas porque parece que va para largo la solución oficial. De todos modos la pieza de aluminio ultima de cascade parece buena opción.

diablo

Jan 24, 2022
Italy
The connector is bolted to the battery, or how is it secured?
It seems it has some kind of wook.

honestly to me it looks the same as the one shown in post n. 140
also because they are Bosch or compatible spare parts; and like the Canyon one it is screwed, moreover even the set of screws is a Bosch replacement (code EB1210001G)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It should be easy to check if the battery has any vertical movement once the clamp is closed on the latch. If there is no vertical movement the physical weight of the battery even including dynamic vertical forces when riding is ( in my opinion) unlikely to damage the latch. What will weaken the cam/lever action of the latch is any lateral movement of the battery. The zip tie hack, whilst not exactly elegant, is probably doing enough to prevent that lateral movement. I believe any permanent solution needs to focus on how the battery is held securely in the downtube rather than the latch......although it may also require a redesign of the ally plate used as the latch lever post. For me that should be steel and also have a much wider ( full width) fixing to the downtube, and that section of ( carbon) downtube should be reinforced to prevent flex.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hi everyone, I think that the plastic skidplate is destined to last a short time, I hope that in the aftermarket, like Rockguardz, will soon make a more robust skidplate, in carbon or aluminium.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
It should be easy to check if the battery has any vertical movement once the clamp is closed on the latch. If there is no vertical movement the physical weight of the battery even including dynamic vertical forces when riding is ( in my opinion) unlikely to damage the latch. What will weaken the cam/lever action of the latch is any lateral movement of the battery. The zip tie hack, whilst not exactly elegant, is probably doing enough to prevent that lateral movement. I believe any permanent solution needs to focus on how the battery is held securely in the downtube rather than the latch......although it may also require a redesign of the ally plate used as the latch lever post. For me that should be steel and also have a much wider ( full width) fixing to the downtube, and that section of ( carbon) downtube should be reinforced to prevent flex.
I wonder if you could put a bit of stiff foam between the battery and the inside of the downtube to stop it moving whilst waiting for the fix?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I wonder if you could put a bit of stiff foam between the battery and the inside of the downtube to stop it moving whilst waiting for the fix?

I suggested this a few weeks back within this thread and will be adding ‘Compriband’ seal to the length of the battery on all four ‘corners’ , but will initially wait for Canyon to send me the new designed replacement latch so I can then fit and forget.

Compriband is very thin (around 3mm) when first fitting, comes in a roll with self adhesive backing strip, but then expands over time (to around 15mm), which should create a nice firm fit within the downtube and eliminate any movement and rattle, especially on large hits or fast rocky terrain. Search for Tremco Compriband for further info. I’ll be fitting the TP651 variety.

That’s my unscientific and untested theory anyway!

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I suggested this a few weeks back within this thread and will be adding ‘Compriband’ seal to the length of the battery on all four ‘corners’ , but will initially wait for Canyon to send me the new designed replacement latch so I can then fit and forget.

Compriband is very thin (around 3mm) when first fitting, comes in a roll with self adhesive backing strip, but then expands over time (to around 15mm), which should create a nice firm fit within the downtube and eliminate any movement and rattle, especially on large hits or fast rocky terrain. Search for Tremco Compriband for further info. I’ll be fitting the TP651 variety.

That’s my unscientific and untested theory anyway!
Won't that make the battery non-removable though?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles