Strive:ON problems

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Won't that make the battery non-removable though?

It’s a flexible polyurethane foam so the battery should be able to still be removed with a firm pull. It’s not a solid seal like expanding foam from a can.

My only concern would be the heat from the battery. The tape has a service temperature of -30 to +90 deg C. I’m not sure how much heat is omitted from the battery when in use

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
It’s a flexible polyurethane foam so the battery should be able to still be removed with a firm pull. It’s not a solid seal like expanding foam from a can.

My only concern would be the heat from the battery. The tape has a service temperature of -30 to +90 deg C. I’m not sure how much heat is omitted from the battery when in use
That was a concern I also had, and sealing either end will seal in any heat...

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
That solution also assumes any lateral movement is along the length of the downtube whereas the greatest flex could be the ally plate that the latch hooks into. It is not mounted across the full width of the downtube, is ally, and is mounted on the edge of a carbon tube. Any movement of the latch holder away from the cam operated latch lever would lead to the latch partially opening since it would allow the cam to move above the pivot point.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I’m sure @Zimmerframe has a thermal camera, maybe that could tell us how much heat a battery is omitting after a couple of hours of use
It gets less warm than you'd think.

I did mess around over a few days with a hub motored bike with an external battery (most things are exposed so you can monitor things more easily).

The warmer bits are the brake caliper and the actual cable going to the motor :

1699952453852.png

Different day : again, the power cable is the warm bit at the motor end :

1699952500513.png

Battery end : The cross is the bottom of the battery, where the cables and the battery control unit is. The warmer area under there is the frame which is acting as a heat sink. Interestingly (well, if you're sad :) ), you can see there's actually heat build up in the chain too.

1699952558382.png

I did recently test the battery temperature on the E-Mythique (Bafang M510). Test results over 7k, whilst trying to keep motor at max assistance (600+ Watts) - similar to my Gen4 in how it feels. 630wh battery. 5 Degree Celsius increase in battery temperature. Aluminium framed bike and underside of the battery is an exposed plastic case.

1699953142532.png

Unrelated, but interesting on the M510 you can monitor the torque sensor reading. 750 ish is no contact. The others are my foot resting on the pedal when taking screen captures - nice for testing if your Torque sensor is working properly.

Also totally unrelated, brake disks on different days after short runs.

1699952329661.png

1699952775188.png

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
It gets less warm than you'd think.

I did mess around over a few days with a hub motored bike with an external battery (most things are exposed so you can monitor things more easily).

The warmer bits are the brake caliper and the actual cable going to the motor :

View attachment 128982

Different day : again, the power cable is the warm bit at the motor end :

View attachment 128983

Battery end : The cross is the bottom of the battery, where the cables and the battery control unit is. The warmer area under there is the frame which is acting as a heat sink. Interestingly (well, if you're sad :) ), you can see there's actually heat build up in the chain too.

View attachment 128984

I did recently test the battery temperature on the E-Mythique (Bafang M510). Test results over 7k, whilst trying to keep motor at max assistance (600+ Watts) - similar to my Gen4 in how it feels. 630wh battery. 5 Degree Celsius increase in battery temperature. Aluminium framed bike and underside of the battery is an exposed plastic case.

View attachment 128987

Unrelated, but interesting on the M510 you can monitor the torque sensor reading. 750 ish is no contact. The others are my foot resting on the pedal when taking screen captures - nice for testing if your Torque sensor is working properly.

Also totally unrelated, brake disks on different days after short runs.

View attachment 128981

View attachment 128985

Love these and the absolute geekiness to take the time to obtain the images. The heat in the chain is great 😎

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
I managed to get out and test the latch fix kit from Tobias over on the EMTB Facebook page. Seems to have work and has held up after a couple of decent runs out (Rocky mountain terrain with lots of decent hits and a few modest jumps). No cut outs and the latch seems to be in one piece still. For such a small cost and a couple of minutes it seems like a great stop gap until Canyon and Bosch release the official remedy

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I managed to get out and test the latch fix kit from Tobias over on the EMTB Facebook page. Seems to have work and has held up after a couple of decent runs out (Rocky mountain terrain with lots of decent hits and a few modest jumps). No cut outs and the latch seems to be in one piece still. For such a small cost and a couple of minutes it seems like a great stop gap until Canyon and Bosch release the official remedy

Yes I fitted the Tobias latch too, all worked fine at the weekend but it was my first couple of rides on the new bike so early days yet

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
An email reply from Canyon after enquiring about when the new latch will be made available:

“We are working with Bosch on a solution which is currently in the final testing phase. We cannot yet give a date for this, but as soon as it is available, you are welcome to request an optimised lock free of charge in the future in the event of a defective lock. We would expect Bosch or Canyon to release a statement at this point in time.

You will need to take your bike to your nearest Canyon Service Partner for this to be fitted and for the upper battery mount fitment to be checked at the same time.”

CHUS

Nov 10, 2023
Valencia
An email reply from Canyon after enquiring about when the new latch will be made available:

“We are working with Bosch on a solution which is currently in the final testing phase. We cannot yet give a date for this, but as soon as it is available, you are welcome to request an optimised lock free of charge in the future in the event of a defective lock. We would expect Bosch or Canyon to release a statement at this point in time.

You will need to take your bike to your nearest Canyon Service Partner for this to be fitted and for the upper battery mount fitment to be checked at the same time.”
Good news, then we should send a Message to canyon or may be canyon will contact with all costumers?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Good news, then we should send a Message to canyon or may be canyon will contact with all costumers?

I emailed and asked. Canyon’s reply was that the updated latch will be made available to purchase from their website ‘parts’ list for owners that don’t claim under warranty following a broken current latch. It won’t be made a recall so doubt they’ll contact all existing owners. Just keep on eye on here and the FB groups for updates as to when it is available.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I emailed and asked. Canyon’s reply was that the updated latch will be made available to purchase from their website ‘parts’ list for owners that don’t claim under warranty following a broken current latch. It won’t be made a recall so doubt they’ll contact all existing owners. Just keep on eye on here and the FB groups for updates as to when it is available.
What utter BS, expecting customers to purchase the fix for a known fault in their product! And forcing customers to go to a dealer to have it "installed".

They should be just posting them to all customers who request one, FOC.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I doubt it will be sold as an upgrade.

For the time being, and since there isn't an official statement or information from Canyon or Bosch, it's just wishful thinking and bs talking

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I doubt it will be sold as an upgrade.

For the time being, and since there isn't an official statement or information from Canyon or Bosch, it's just wishful thinking and bs talking

Are you accusing me of spreading bs or Jake from Canyon Service Centre UK who I received the email from ?

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Are you accusing me of spreading bs or Jake from Canyon Service Centre UK who I received the email from ?
Accusing?

It's facts.
In resume:

Problems started in June, 5 months, and no word from Bosch nor Canyon
Any broken latch, is covered under warranty, and at no cost.
It can take several days or weeks.
There are patchs/solutions that have sort things out the best it can...
There are Customer Accounts from Canyon (from different countries) that reply stating that a solution is being worked, but since it's not an uniform response across all Customer Accounts, I'm inclined to think that it's total BS, and more a wishful thinking and total commercial response.

in conclusion:
Until CANYON acknowledge the problem, or start solving warranty claims installing THE Solution. All this supposably solutions and answers are all BS and Wishful thinking.

Do I ofend you? Why? This is a Canyon's and it's customer issue

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Do I ofend you? Why? This is a Canyon's and it's customer issue
No you did not offend me, your earlier shorter message wasn’t clear as to where you were directing the bs remark, but your more recent response has made that much clearer thanks.

Although it is frustrating for us, 5 months in the world of R&D is a relatively short time so I’ll remain optimistic that a solution is indeed imminent.

CHUS

Nov 10, 2023
Valencia
in today’s world where the social networks rules, this kind of politics goes against the company image. In lot of Strive:eek:n videos are appearing bad comments yet. Then I expect that canyon try to close all voices which a clear a definitely solution. Is their completely responsibility and they debt us.

CHUS

Nov 10, 2023
Valencia
Bike repaired but..., with the new same pieces, then solution still has not arrived.

Bosch recognize the problem and send them under warranty, thing that we known yet.

Now I will try to install the Tobias gadget in the new pieces to prevent the next breaking.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Today I went out and stuffed a microfiber cloth between the motor and battery. Not sure if it helped any, but no issues with the bike. My Tobias fix is in the post...

Giustizio

Mar 16, 2021
Italy
in today’s world where the social networks rules, this kind of politics goes against the company image. In lot of Strive:eek:n videos are appearing bad comments yet. Then I expect that canyon try to close all voices which a clear a definitely solution. Is their completely responsibility and they debt us.
100% agree!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
So. At the weekend I landed my Strive off a jump into a rock garden and the inevitable happened. Heard an immediate loud clunking sound, power turned off. Latch had come loose and therefore battery disconnected.

Contacted Canyon just to ask again when the new improved latch will be ready. I have been assured that the final solution has now been thoroughly tested and I have one being shipped direct to me. Upon receipt, I am taking my bike to a local (hours drive) Canyon service partner and they will fit the latch and also ensure the top mount (not motor end) is fitted correctly.

I have the ‘order is in picking’ confirmation email, and dispatch will be within 1-5 working days.

Once I receive the new latch I will post a photo here. Probably won’t receive it until the New Year due to Christmas holidays etc, but at least it looks like the new latch is finally on its way

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
I was set on buying the Strive:ON but the fix came too late and now I have already placed an order for the YT Decoy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles