Strive:ON problems

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
I think it is still possible that the issues is a the bottom.
if there is not enough force at the bottom to keep the battery in its place at the connector it will cause bad connection.
in your case , it seems like the battery was so low, the connectors pins were not inside the female side of the battery and made the damage to the plastic.
connector is probably suppose to be inserted 4-5mm, so this means the battery was too low for 4-5 mm.
i'm supprised canyon is still selling without solving , at least a temp solution.

good luck with trying to sort this out

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
I think it is still possible that the issues is a the bottom.
if there is not enough force at the bottom to keep the battery in its place at the connector it will cause bad connection.
in your case , it seems like the battery was so low, the connectors pins were not inside the female side of the battery and made the damage to the plastic.
connector is probably suppose to be inserted 4-5mm, so this means the battery was too low for 4-5 mm.
i'm supprised canyon is still selling without solving , at least a temp solution.

good luck with trying to sort this out
I think the issue is that the battery is not fixed well enough and is rattling around.
I kind of like YT´s solution with a thru axle through the battery and frame on both ends.

Nick314

Jun 9, 2022
Monmouthshire
So this happened to my battery today after multiple shutdowns....

View attachment 126382
Errrr...this is mine just now after 84 miles...!!!

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-09 at 17.09.36.jpeg

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Yes and my bikes live on an actual mountain. She's only had 5 rides out, but plenty to test her! So was happy to see this just now.
Have you had the bike long ? im hoping they have fixed the issue recently, my bike has just entered the country, Should be with me tomorrow...

Nick314

Jun 9, 2022
Monmouthshire
Have you had the bike long ? im hoping they have fixed the issue recently, my bike has just entered the country, Should be with me tomorrow...
I have a 625 battery, but zero issues so far. She's f***ing brilliant actually, far more planted than anything I've ridden before and almost silent once the motor is off. I've got the Hope's Rob added arriving tomorrow as the only issue was the DB8s are not up to it. Too tiring. But other than that, its a wicked bike, enjoy!!

Shaunovan

Mar 2, 2019
Paisley
I'll add that I always charge my battery on the bike and being aware of the latch issues I've tried to be very careful on the 2 or 3 times I've removed it...Canyon have already admitted they are aware of the latch problems and have sent me a new latch...it wasn't until I took out the battery to investigate that I noticed the damage to the female receiver on the battery itself....I'm raging!!!

20231009_111651.jpg

Nick314

Jun 9, 2022
Monmouthshire
Well ill be looking at mine before i use it. ill post some pictures of it in hear, see if they've done anything different to it.
There are two bolts at the very top after you take the battery out. Mine were fine, but there's a photo in this thread where they looked half out.

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
I'll add that I always charge my battery on the bike and being aware of the latch issues I've tried to be very careful on the 2 or 3 times I've removed it...Canyon have already admitted they are aware of the latch problems and have sent me a new latch...it wasn't until I took out the battery to investigate that I noticed the damage to the female receiver on the battery itself....I'm raging!!!
is the latch still ok, or also already broken again (small lips)?
1696930190684.png

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
Did you had the disconnection frequent during this 3 months, or only recent before you saw the connector issue?

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Now reading all this makes me wonder...I would think prototypes and the prototype that Fabian B. was riding was out in the wild way before they released it to the masses.

How the fu... is it possible that they didn't find any issues with this during testing.

This brings out another question, do they even test the bikes in the wild?

Did they know about the issue, but decided to sell anyway because the business world works like it does(the customer is the last in the food chain).

I am amazed that there still Is no solution for this after all this time, and really it's an easy fix, just a good engineer and machinist needs to look at it. The best solution IMO would be a bolt fixed battery.

I hope for all you guys they sort it out, because it's obviously a design issue and I don't believe a new latch is going to solve it. ✌️

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Same with the new Whyte’s, they had a very similar problem that should have been caught with testing.
Levo was still the worst for me😀
I think the companies just use customers as their testers sometimes.

Shaunovan

Mar 2, 2019
Paisley
I shouldn't have to do this but I now have a non removable battery that is secure...for now. I know it looks crap but the battery shouldn't move around until I get a reply from Canyon...shocking that on a "high end" EMTB that I had to resort to this to be able to ride it...

20231010_135617.jpg

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
I shouldn't have to do this but I now have a non removable battery that is secure...for now. I know it looks crap but the battery shouldn't move around until I get a reply from Canyon...shocking that on a "high end" EMTB that I had to resort to this to be able to ride it...

View attachment 126503
So its the weight of the battery hammering down on that clasp then. Bike coming tomorrow now, Hoped they've done somethin g to cure this...

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Quick comment from me - I also bought 223 golfer wave rotors, in normal up down and along riding they are great, but I also had terrible issues with them in the alps this summer. I did not know there was a recognised problem.

At the end of a really long fast descent, usually on a bit of road on the last bit into town, they would fade gradually (not totally), but much much more concerning was that when this happened and I looked down at my front rotor, it was visibly wobbling/warping horribly from side to side as if melting. Once stopped, you could watch it cool and snap back into original normal shape.

If you want to shit yourself, have that happen when you are doing 60kmh down a steep bit of road. Parp!

Changed to different rotors and all good (FWIW, swiss stop).
Got a link to those rotors please?

As for the latch, still no fix from Canyon?

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
IMG_5793.jpeg
IMG_5792.jpeg
IMG_5791.jpeg
IMG_5790.jpeg
IMG_5789.jpeg
So bike has landed, This is how the battery was held. is this different to, or the same as the bikes that have been failing ?

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Curious to see what fix they come up with.

Ideally a full metal clip system or some better way of securing the weight of the battery by replacing the Canyon bottom battery bracket part.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles