Strive:ON problems

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
This is Whyte’s fix for their very similar issue. A rubber block inside the bashguard.

E39A73A2-88D5-4E3A-B090-C98D2667B44C.jpeg

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
I still beleive the root cause is the fact that the battery is not puched up far enough into the connector.
Your damage could be explained by side to side movement of the battery at the top. but normally such a connection needs to be 'floating' left/right.
View attachment 126538 View attachment 126539 View attachment 126540 View attachment 126541 View attachment 126542 So bike has landed, This is how the battery was held. is this different to, or the same as the bikes that have been failing ?
Not 100% sure, but didn't they change the position of the cylindrical features a bit , so they are no longer under the clips that brake.

old: new:
1697029745370.png
1697029762263.png

Would you mind taking of the of the plastic around the latch, to see the sides?
then we can see if they added material (simular to what we I with the red spacer):
1697030053094.png

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The broken latch is a long running saga now. To repeat some of my comments from earlier in the thread for the benefit of later purchasers I own a 2022 (2023 model) Whyte E160RSX that uses the same battery latch. I have 750 miles on that bike with no issues of cutting out or damage to the latch. That said, some Whyte models experienced the problem during summer 2023 but it seemed to be a much smaller number of bikes affected which led me to believe a faulty batch of latches may have been the reason. I am beginning to doubt that theory now but what seems clear and probably a common cause is the battery not being held securely. The issue on those Whyte bikes was I think unrelated.
So given the Bosch latch works as designed on my bike and most other 23 Whyte bikes what is different to the Strive set up?
1.The Whyte bikes are all ally....the Strive is carbon
2.Whyte bikes use the Bosch rail system which is steel and includes the "slot" that the latch lever fits to. The Strive does not use the Bosch Rail and has its own separate "slot" component which is ally and bolted to the bottom of the downtube.

Obviously the main forces imposed by the weight of the battery accentuated by dynamic riding forces, are on the connection between the latch and the "slot" it uses to fix into with a cammed lever mechanism. A lot of focus has been on the latch itself........but I suspect the issue could equally be the "slot". If that piece of ally or the carbon section of downtube it is bolted to flexes at all it will allow the cammed lever action of the latch to change angle and therefore weaken.
What I believe Canyon should do as a fix is to replace the ally "slot" component with a longer steel replacement bolted both at the bottom of the downtube and further up the downtube.
Meanwhile pending a fix by Canyon I believe the most effective DIY hack would be to add a strap (zip tie) that holds the battery tight to the ally "slot". That would prevent any partial separation of the latch lever from the slot caused by any flexing of the "slot" or the section of downtube it is bolted to. In addition I would add a section of hard rubber between the battery and downtube opposite the latch.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
One more latch going wrong...
Info:
Total Odometer- 958km
Usual ride:
Average Distance - 35km
Average climb (cumulative) - 1600m
Terrain: some gnar, some jumps and drops (nothing massive like 2m to flat or anything similar).
No mud, all dry rides.

Charging system: never took off the battery.
Number of times battery was removed before this: 1 (when new, never riden).

Bike cut off, if I keep forcing the battery up, bike will turn on, but as soon a bump appears, it shuts down.

Latch with a lot of movement when closed.
If the next latch survives another 900km, Canyon should provide another spare while keeping working on the solution...

Big BUmmer....
Bike started doing this when I was 15km away from anywhere, and had to climb over 1.000m!
Really, really pissed at the monent! Just arrived at home, completly wasted!!!!
Was doing a range test, in eMTB, an All Day Epic Ride (ADER), and being strandled like this, is a big concern in the future.....

PS: REALLY PISSED AND WASTED!!!!!

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I shouldn't have to do this but I now have a non removable battery that is secure...for now. I know it looks crap but the battery shouldn't move around until I get a reply from Canyon...shocking that on a "high end" EMTB that I had to resort to this to be able to ride it...

View attachment 126503
Shaunovan,
Does it work?

There are zipties attatched to the engine, correct?

Care to take more pictures?

Thanks!

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Hard to believe this is ongoing from June/ July and they are still sending out faulty bikes.
Very frustrating because I want to buy one when they get it fixed😀

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Hard to believe this is ongoing from June/ July and they are still sending out faulty bikes.
Very frustrating because I want to buy one when they get it fixed😀
If I knew about it... I would save my Euros, or would go Levo!

I like the bike, but not being able to ride and wait for repair is just unacceptable...
Meanwhile Warraty period is not stoped or extended, with the bike inop!

This really annoys me!

F.....

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
If I knew about it... I would save my Euros, or would go Levo!

I like the bike, but not being able to ride and wait for repair is just unacceptable...
Meanwhile Warraty period is not stoped or extended, with the bike inop!

This really annoys me!

F.....
They will Come up with a fix, in the meantime few cable ties does the job.. im riding mine...

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
So What are they saying you must do ?
Since yesterday, when the problem started, nothing has been said.

For the moment, and since I prefer not to damage anything else, I'll wait for Canyon's response (seated or lay down....)

When the Ebike arrived, had loosen headset, because the star nut was moving upwards... simple fix, after finding out what was happening...
Then the noisy cables inside the headset - easy fix.
Now, this, and nothing from Canyon.
Already call then, but after 32min on hold earing music, I think is enough!
Forward new mail...and nothing!
Sincerelly, if YOU are a new buyer, I would stay away until everything is fixed up, and HOPEFULLY, it's the "only" major problem with the bike!

Bike run noiselly for 5month... now is in silence in the garage!

PS: If the bike wasn't in warranty, it would be fixed for ever, and would be much more silent than Canyon delivered!

Bummer!

Just thinking I'm on holidays, with great weather (+28°C, Blue Sky, October sundown colors....
F......
F...this stupid locking system!

Last edited:

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I guess the main issue is whether the broken latch damages other parts, such as the battery terminal.

@Rob Rides EMTB do you think you'd be able to squeeze additional info out of Canyon on Bosch about this supposed replacement latch/part?

Let's hope they get it right first time and it solves the problem entirely.

Karkiler

Oct 13, 2023
Gdańsk, Poland
Hi, I almost clicked to buy Strive but just after I read all posts here I am really dissapointed. I suppose that Canyon hasn’t solved that problem yet despite of so many customer’s claims. Is that bike worth to buy it?

Monkey80

Sep 3, 2023
Uk
Will my bike shut down 3 times yesterday I’ve contacted canyon the made me fill out a warranty form witch I now have to wait and see what they say.i checked the battery latch witch looks ok but does not seam to clamp down very well at all. Also has anyone else had the motor cover rub of the paint on there frame ???

IMG_4479.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I am hoping Canyon will release fixed bikes in 2024 and „retrofit” part solving issues for all you guys.
I do not give up yet and I will hold my purchase so far cause geometry and spec of this bike is as I want

Hope is the last to die 😉
But I'm with you.

PS: Strive :ON is sold as a 2024 ebike

Last edited:

toidatheman

Oct 12, 2023
West Sussex
I ‘ve just bought my Strive:ON, went on my first ride, only done 49 miles, then the battery kept cutting out, five times. Took the battery out and put it back in and still the same issue. I think this is a big problem, many Stive:ON Owners, will experience the battery latch fault at some point in the future knowing it’s going to fail.Canyon even supplied me with a spare latch in the box when it was delivered so clearly they knew about the issue. Shouldn’t be selling them until this is fixed.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
I ‘ve just bought my Strive:ON, went on my first ride, only done 49 miles, then the battery kept cutting out, five times. Took the battery out and put it back in and still the same issue. I think this is a big problem, many Stive:ON Owners, will experience the battery latch fault at some point in the future knowing it’s going to fail.Canyon even supplied me with a spare latch in the box when it was delivered so clearly they knew about the issue. Shouldn’t be selling them until this is fixed.
Sorry to hear this mate, Get the cable ties out... iv had two runs on mine now "smashing round cwmcarn" no issues a t all, presume the cable ties are doing there job. Canyon/Bosch will soon have something out to us..

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
K
Sorry to hear this mate, Get the cable ties out... iv had two runs on mine now "smashing round cwmcarn" no issues a t all, presume the cable ties are doing there job. Canyon/Bosch will soon have something out to us..
Tempted to do this to mine, even though mine hasn't broken yet, just to prevent damage and excess slop in the battery. Do the cable ties touch the carbon at all, or is there a way to make a sorta hammock of cable ties purely between metal parts?

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
It's a TWO part problem:
1) Bosch Latch, has a very poor design/material seleccion, leading to play and battery disconection.
2) Canyon didn't design the Strive :ON to use the Bosch Rail, that is part of the Powertube system, probably due to weight.

What I think it's happening is that the problem, and SOLUTION, should be a TWO company issue, but I'm afraid it ain't!
Bosch may state that Canyon should have worked with the Powertube guide, and Canyon should be replying that there weren't any problem if the Latch would be well designed and material was correctly selected.

Now, imagine what Canyon could do?
Develop THE Solution, and recall all bikes to fit?
Pay bikeshops to fit (With all variables regarding how well it is fitted)?

Then there is the image they create in the market.
Recalls is something no one is willing to do

The rope will break on the weakest side, and between the two (Bosch and Canyon), it is Canyon side!

Presently, and at the end of the day, the owners have to invent something to use their bikes has it should.

For this, let us see your solutions, and sincerelly I wouldn't hold my breath over a solution any time soon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles