• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

steps unlocker

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott
In my experience, to change the market from EU to US, yes. It worked immediately.

I haven't tried to completely de-restrict, or change wheel circumference. If I do, I'll report my experience!

fish

Sep 27, 2019
Slovenia
If I use the steps unlocker on my e8000 system and don't make any changes, will it void the warranty just by connecting it? The thing I am most interested in is the battery % after a ride. Right now I can only see the battery level with the bars on my display.

Johnnie

Sep 8, 2019
Ireland
I’m pretty sure that simply connecting Stunlocker to your bike is undetectable by Shimano should you subsequently have to return your drive unit under warranty.

However there has been some discussion on this forum and elsewhere where users have had repair/replacement requests rejected by Shimano where the latter has stated that the drive unit has been tampered with. In some instances I suspect that the unit was returned to the manufacturer with some unauthorised non-standard setting still present i.e. an EU drive unit set to the US market setting. Also there appears to be some evidence that Shimano are sometimes able to tell if the device has been run beyond its spec, perhaps via internal data logged by the drive unit - the maximum speed reached by the system figure (which can be viewed, but not adjusted, using the Android version of Stunlocker) is particularly suspicious.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles