• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria
So I have done the speed up of my EP801 bike with EMAX soft yesterday and it works perfectly so far! Now the bikes goes up to way more than 40kph and also shows correct values on my EN600 bike screen. What a great difference! However going really fast also drains battery quite fast, but it is a lot of fun to have the possibilty to ride that fast now. Maybe I will also try to change the chainring size to a larger one in the future, because otherwise you need to pedal with high cadence when going fast, but not sure if larger chainring will fit to my bike.

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
So I have done the speed up of my EP801 bike with EMAX soft yesterday and it works perfectly so far! Now the bikes goes up to way more than 40kph and also shows correct values on my EN600 bike screen. What a great difference! However going really fast also drains battery quite fast, but it is a lot of fun to have the possibilty to ride that fast now. Maybe I will also try to change the chainring size to a larger one in the future, because otherwise you need to pedal with high cadence when going fast, but not sure if larger chainring will fit to my bike.
Did you do by yourself? Or with emax team remote support?
Are you using 360 or 540 battery?

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria
I have the new Merida eONE-SIXTY 975 with 750Wh battery and the tuning was done via remote support.
I now can adjust max. speed of my bike with EMAX software on my smartphone to up to 50km/h and also reduce back to 25km/h at any time.

shep

Nov 4, 2023
In a field
I have the new Merida eONE-SIXTY 975 with 750Wh battery and the tuning was done via remote support.
I now can adjust max. speed of my bike with EMAX software on my smartphone to up to 50km/h and also reduce back to 25km/h at any time.
Overtake some cop cars through the city and see if they can catch you 😁🤣

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
So this
So this means that you can NOW go back to 25 max speed and again to 50 only using your smartphone?

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
I had exactly this problem despite following the instructions perfectly, the downgrade reached 47% and the Bluetooth connection failed. I spoke to the Developer of ST Unlocker about the instructions they provided for this process and to say they were rude and unhelpful would be an understatement.
I was told I had not followed the instructions and it must have been my fault!
I had to take my bike to the LBS and have the firmware restored at a cost of £35.

Stupildly I then questioned if I had in fact made a mistake in the process and decided to have another attempt at the downgrade!! Followed instructions perfectly (again) and the process failed (again) at 47%. Bluetooth connection interrupted.

Too embarrassed to go to the LBS again I have since purchased a Shimano PC unit from German (£235) and have restored the Firmware myself.

Be warned this is not a guarenteed process and I think currently there is something in the Shimano firmware that is preventing a downgrade completing.

No doubt the Developer will tell me I'm wrong and don't know how to follow instructions!

Please note this is not a comment about the ST Unlocker App itself which I understand is very good. Simply the bluetooth downgrade instructions which may currently prove to be problematic.
I know I’m a bit late to this party but it can’t be posted often enough: Newer Android versions allow you to set each apps battery consumptions to modes like restricted, unrestricted and optimized. Each time the Shimano E-Tube app updates, it resets itself to optimized on my phone and each time I want to do a firmware update I go back and set it to unrestricted.
BEFORE I did that, I had firmware updates fail twice and had to have the firmware recovered. NOW, this does not happen any more. If you forget to set the battery settings and kick off an update anyway, be sure to stay in the app and move the screen around every ten seconds or so during the update. That keeps the app nice and active and the update will succeed. Put the phone down and there’s a good chance it will fail because the update takes SOOO long.

Last edited:

Froc

Feb 22, 2020
Åland
I have Firmware ver: 4.1.11 / 4.10, and I want to change market to US.
Is the license for STUnlocker_v2 (PC) for one bike? or can i change two bikes?
(Provided i have the shimano computer thing)
Do I have to be connected to a bike to order the premium, Im just trying the program now (without PCE) but at the moment that option it's grayed out.

Last edited:

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
I have Firmware ver: 4.1.11 / 4.10, and I want to change market to US.
Is the license for STUnlocker_v2 (PC) for one bike? or can i change two bikes?
(Provided i have the shimano computer thing)
Do I have to be connected to a bike to order the premium, Im just trying the program now (without PCE) but at the moment that option it's grayed out.
Best I know, the license is for one bike/motor and the program uses the serial it read from the motor to request the license.

Fatbez

Nov 1, 2023
UK
You changed region/circumference. Change it back to stock/default and you'll never see this message
my shop has produced the attached report it still says its been changed, i can see it mentions the circumference, do you know what circumference is required to make it not show?
1700066261535.png

Attachments

• shimano error.pdf
    20.5 KB · Views: 126

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria
my shop has produced the attached report it still says its been changed, i can see it mentions the circumference, do you know what circumference is required to make it not show? View attachment 129094
I´m not absolutely sure, but I think it is not the destination (region) or tire circumference which is "bad" in your case - it seems like the problematic values are related to the "drive unit output feature" of your motor, like mentioned in the red warning of your report.
So, please check that the Assist character, Max. torque and Assist start of the eco, trail and boost mode of both profiles are programmed to values on your bike which are "well-known" for Shimano, otherwise these values will be shown as "Unknown", see this section of your pdf - report:

1700069091261.png

Most probably if there is any "Unknown" value in the report, also a red warning will be created like in your case.

So, if the region/circumference would have been "manipulated" in your case, then exactly this would be shown in the red message, not "drive unit output feature". So, always check this red warning carefully and you will find the real reason for this red warning.
In your previous post you did mention "i didnt change any area settings, only power settings as didnt want to change the software on the bike." So this will match to my preceding thoughts and so just set these "power settings" back to the original or default settings. Or if you e.g. will set all "Unknown" values shown in your report (which are only values for max. torque) to 56Nm, this may work (because 56Nm is not "Unknown") and your red warning most probably will be gone.

BTW.: "sexy" as profile name for your bike sounds perfect. :LOL:

Last edited:

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
my shop has produced the attached report it still says its been changed, i can see it mentions the circumference, do you know what circumference is required to make it not show? View attachment 129094
Did you only use STUnlocker or other software as well?
Also, what region are you in? MY report says Type 1 under destination but in STUnlocker (the Windows version, I have a cable) it’s actually undefined or not defined. I have never used the mobile version of STUnlocker but the software I used on my old motor had no option to go back to undefined.
You’ll probably want to find someone with the cable so you can try to fix things before you go back to the bike shop as well.

Last edited:

Fatbez

Nov 1, 2023
UK
Did you only use STUnlocker or other software as well?
Also, what region are you in? MY report says Type 1 under destination but in STUnlocker (the Windows version, I have a cable) it’s actually undefined or not defined. I have never used the mobile version of STUnlocker but the software I used on my old motor had no option to go back to undefined.
You’ll probably want to find someone with the cable so you can try to fix things before you go back to the bike shop as well.
I used ST unlocker when i first got the bike, and also the standard shimano software later. im in the UK, so i dont know what region that should be? i havent changed region.

the bike shop is a friend which is why theyre happy to help me chekc things before sending the report to shimano.

does anyone knwo what the standard torque settings should be? i changed them to default, in the ST unlocker app, but perhaps these are not the shimano default?

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
I used ST unlocker when i first got the bike, and also the standard shimano software later. im in the UK, so i dont know what region that should be? i havent changed region.

the bike shop is a friend which is why theyre happy to help me chekc things before sending the report to shimano.

does anyone knwo what the standard torque settings should be? i changed them to default, in the ST unlocker app, but perhaps these are not the shimano default?
I have only used the Windows app on my new motor, set the region to US and changed circumference slightly as the Shimano guys set it somewhat higher than what the default on my Merida is. After I set things back to defaults, E-Tube pro does not complain and the report does not list any issues.
If you get the Windows app for STUnlocker it will show you the regulation log and what the original defaults for region and circumference are.

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria

Don´t change region, because the region / destination setting is absolutely fine for your (UK) bike.
If region setting would not be fine, then you would have gotten a different red warning, see e.g. in the situation of another biker where in fact the destination setting is not matching the current programmed setting, see here and following:
1700123901135.png

Also don´t mix the red warning with the regulation log data which is shown below the red warning in the report your dealer has created with the interface and Windows E-Tube.
The regulation log shows the original settings of your bike which were done most probably from your bike manufacturer on January 3rd, 2022.

Default values for max. torque for an EP8 drive unit are:
profile1: Eco: 34Nm, Trail: 85Nm, Boost: 85Nm
profile12 Eco: 27Nm, Trail: 85Nm, Boost: 85Nm

Last edited:

Fatbez

Nov 1, 2023
UK
Don´t change region, because the region setting on your (UK) bike is absolutely fine!
If region setting would not be fine, then you would have gotten a different red warning, see e.g. here.
View attachment 129159
Default values for max. torque for an EP8 drive unit are:
profile1: Eco: 34Nm, Trail: 85Nm, Boost: 85Nm
profile12 Eco: 27Nm, Trail: 85Nm, Boost: 85Nm
thank you, i'll give that a try tonight. do you know the standard tyre circumference? in case that is incorrect?

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria
thank you, i'll give that a try tonight. do you know the standard tyre circumference? in case that is incorrect?
There is no "standard" tire circumference, because each bike manufacturer may use different wheel sizes and tire types.
The initial wheel circumference which was programmed by the bike manufacturer will be shown in the regulation change history log:
1700124960988.png

So, your bike manufacturer was programming a wheel circumference of 2271mm on January, 3rd of 2022 to your bike and this is exactly the same tire circumference your bike is currently programmed to, see here in the report:
1700125078127.png

So, everything is absolutely fine with your Destination and Tire circumference settings currently, because these settings exactly match your regulation log.

So, don´t bother with tire circumference or destination settings, because these settings are absolutely fine on your bike. Otherwise, "Destination" or "Tire circumference" would have been shown (additionally) within the red warning. So, again: Always read carefully the red warning and you will exactly see what the real reason for this red warning will be. If there would be multiple reasons for this red warning, ALL reasons would have been shown within this red warning, separated via comma.

Last edited:

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
There is no "standard" tire circumference, because each bike manufacturer may use different wheel sizes and tire types.
The initial wheel circumference which was programmed by the bike manufacturer will be shown in the regulation change history log:
View attachment 129160
So, your bike manufacturer was programming a wheel circumference of 2271mm on January, 3rd of 2022 to your bike and this is exactly the same tire circumference your bike is currently programmed to, see here in the report:
View attachment 129161
So, everything is absolutely fine with your Destination and Tire circumference settings currently, because these settings exactly match your regulation log.

So, don´t bother with tire circumference or destination settings, because these settings are absolutely fine on your bike. Otherwise, "Destination" or "Tire circumference" would have been shown (additionally) within the red warning. So, again: Always read carefully the red warning and you will exactly see what the real reason for this red warning will be. If there would be multiple reasons for this red warning, ALL reasons would have been shown within this red warning, separated via comma.
You’re right. I totally missed that it listed multiple issues.
Is there a way to reset the region to ‘not defined’ in the mobile version of STUnlocker or is that only possible with the Windows version?

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria
You’re right. I totally missed that it listed multiple issues.
Is there a way to reset the region to ‘not defined’ in the mobile version of STUnlocker or is that only possible with the Windows version?
I´m using EMAX software via bluetooth and interface and there is the possibility to set destination back to "factory" - setting, which most probably will do the job you need, but not 100% sure and maybe depending on the motor type (I cannot use this on my new EP801).

Last edited:

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
I´m using EMAX software via bluetooth and interface and there is the possibility to set destination back to "factory" - setting, which most probably will do the job you need, but not 100% sure and maybe depending on the motor type (I cannot use this on my new EP801).
The original owner of my old motor used the etuning app to set the motor to US. That app has no way to set it back to ‘not defined’ which is the original setting or at least that’s what the unlicensed STUnlocker app tells me.
The EMAX software might be different and better but the pricing is just a bit more than what I want to spend.

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
Does anyone know whether there is any downside to going to 4.1.11? The motor came with 4.1.8 and I’m using the cable for changes anyway.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Does anyone know whether there is any downside to going to 4.1.11? The motor came with 4.1.8 and I’m using the cable for changes anyway.

If you have a pce-02 cable it doest matter what version you have , just plug it in to the display buy a license and then you are good to go.

Ivan_

Dec 8, 2023
France
Hello, anyone know where we can download specific firmware version for the drive Unit ?
I have downgrade my EP8 to 4.0.2, but i don't want to upgrade to the latest version in order to keep possibly to downgrade again.
I'm looking for FW DU-EP800 4.1.8 or 4.1.10, thank you.

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
Hello, anyone know where we can download specific firmware version for the drive Unit ?
I have downgrade my EP8 to 4.0.2, but i don't want to upgrade to the latest version in order to keep possibly to downgrade again.
I'm looking for FW DU-EP800 4.1.8 or 4.1.10, thank you.
My phone seems to have firmware files for 4.1.8, 4.1.10 and 4.1.11. Not sure whether it just keeps all files or jut the last three but theoretically, without internet, it should use the latest file it finds but I have not tried that.
Same set of files are on the laptop with E-Tube Pro

Ivan_

Dec 8, 2023
France
My phone seems to have firmware files for 4.1.8, 4.1.10 and 4.1.11. Not sure whether it just keeps all files or jut the last three but theoretically, without internet, it should use the latest file it finds but I have not tried that.
Same set of files are on the laptop with E-Tube Pro
Thank you for your reply.
It's possible for you to share files of those old fw version please?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles