• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I'm new to this forum and surely new to Shimano motors (I've used Giant/Yamaha), can you explain me what you mean?

Thank you so much for your reply!
Shimano refused to provide a warranty for the motor due to the alleged connection of third-party software, without any evidence. The owner of the bike never connected any software/App with his bike.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
:eek: This scares me quite a little bit.

Thanks.
Well, you've already made the wrong choice - you bought a bike with a Shimano motor ;). So it doesn’t matter anymore whether you connect App/software with your bike or not. Shimano can easily refuse your guarantee without presenting any evidence.

Cooperman

Sep 27, 2023
UK
vadll, can you tell me which versions of windows STUnlocker is compatible with please? I have several old PC’s to choose from (windows 7,10 and11), is there a preference?
I have an Orbea Rise M10 which I want to switch from UK to US region for increased top speed. I plan on connecting PC via SM-PCE 2 connected at the EW-EN100.
thanks

MoCox

Sep 28, 2023
Europe
Hi Vadll,

Do you know if your software works with the Giant Revolt E+ with EP8? I'm not 100% sure, but this looks like a collaboration between Giant and Shimano. Some users have reported issues when trying to upgrade the EP8 motor firmware via etube, so may have some giant customisation on the firmware. I'm interested in modifying the wheel circumference and setting the region to USA.

Thanks!

GuyBouchard

Oct 2, 2023
Matane, Quebec, Canada
Since the someone posted a patched ETube App for Android - the downgrade from latest firmware versions is available again. The downgrade instructions are updated.
How can i find this patched eTube App for Android?

I never update my EP8-RS (Unlocked to get 85nm on Boost, everything else is RS-styled) but last week because i was having a problem, in the trail i updated it and it was 4.1.11. Bad idea! I was not aware... Now, with the PCE2, i get a warning SO i would at least get rid of the warning if i can.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
How can i find this patched eTube App for Android?
The link is in downgrade instructions
I never update my EP8-RS (Unlocked to get 85nm on Boost, everything else is RS-styled) but last week because i was having a problem, in the trail i updated it and it was 4.1.11. Bad idea! I was not aware... Now, with the PCE2, i get a warning SO i would at least get rid of the warning if i can.
You don't need to downgrade if you have PCE2. Just use STUnlocker for Windows

Cooperman

Sep 27, 2023
UK
Vadll,
I have downloaded the free software version onto my windows pc. please can you describe the process for obtaining the premium version of the software. I understand that I have to connect the PC to my bike via a PCE2. once I've done this what happens to get the premium version? can I purchase it imeadiately? I ask only in that I will be using a friends PCE and will only have a short window of opportunity to use it - approximately 30-45 mins.

roqrockus

Nov 10, 2022
oahu hawaii
Vadll , could you PM me the key code for the windows premium license, the one that received does not work , it's really long. I paid for it about 2 months ago
Cheers

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Vadll , could you PM me the key code for the windows premium license, the one that received does not work , it's really long. I paid for it about 2 months ago
Cheers
Your license key is valid. Email me if you have any questions

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I'm trying to help @Endurip here on the forum with his ep8 engine and stunlocker.

I have put the dl file in the FW folder, restart the phone and put it in airplane mode and then connect the steps to the bike. but then when you press the bike with a red dot in the shimano steps app, nothing happens.

what could be wrong? . I have double checked and both files are copied to the FW folder.

Fatbez

Nov 1, 2023
UK
Decoy1.jpg

I've just taken my bike into YT as motor has a E010 code, and theyve said it wont be warrantied as i've used ST unlocker, has anyone else had experience of this and how to help get round this?

i didnt change any area settings, only power settings as didnt want to change the software on the bike.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
View attachment 128119
I've just taken my bike into YT as motor has a E010 code, and theyve said it wont be warrantied as i've used ST unlocker, has anyone else had experience of this and how to help get round this?

i didnt change any area settings, only power settings as didnt want to change the software on the bike.
You changed region/circumference. Change it back to stock/default and you'll never see this message

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria
It seems like the only solution to speed up an EP801 is using the EMAX software. I have found some information of some bikers who have done this already here and here. This seems to be promising and I think I will give it a try too.

Last edited:

Froc

Feb 22, 2020
Åland
I get that it's hard to tell but i'm guessing you (vadll) are working on making it possible to change the market from the app again with the 4.1.11 Firmware?
Or should one start thinking about buying the PCE?
Thanks //F

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles