• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

Stevodm

Apr 4, 2023
Adelaide
Hi all, new member here.

Just wanted to share my experience using ST Unlocker. I have a Norco Fluid VLT A1 and was not happy with the 25kmh cut-off as it is right on cruising speed.

I followed instructions found on the internet to downgrade the firmware via Android, connected ST Unlocker and requested a licence (which arrived promptly) and changed the region to US. I then reconnected E-Tube on my iPhone and upgraded to the latest firmware.

I'm happy to report everything worked smoothly and I've now ridden ~70kms and from my perspective, it has transformed the bike.

IMG_3289_edit.jpg
IMG_3353_edit.jpg

I have kept the older versions of E-Tube and firmware on the Android phone (dedicated for this use) in case I ever need to revert the changes for whatever reason.

For those who notice the change in battery health, well that is another story. I purchased the bike with a 900Wh battery but discovered the LBS had installed a 540Wh battery so they had to order me a new battery which I had just installed prior to capturing the screenshot, hence the 100% (0 cycles).

msim3011

Apr 9, 2020
SCOTLAND
Hi Vadll

My new motor needs your attention. Unfortunately it has the latest firmware.

Trying to follow your instructions to downgrade E-Tube. I’ve downloaded the .APK file (1.) but not sure which app to use to open and hence it with on my IPhone (2.)

Your recommendation please!

Regards
Mike

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hi Vadll

My new motor needs your attention. Unfortunately it has the latest firmware.

Trying to follow your instructions to downgrade E-Tube. I’ve downloaded the .APK file (1.) but not sure which app to use to open and hence it with on my IPhone (2.)

Your recommendation please!

Regards
Mike
You need an android phone to install an app from an APK file.
it's androids version of a windows .exe
If you have a PC/laptop with bluetooth you can probably also use an android emulator and install the apk file onto there.

msim3011

Apr 9, 2020
SCOTLAND
You need an android phone to install an app from an APK file.
it's androids version of a windows .exe
If you have a PC/laptop with bluetooth you can probably also use an android emulator and install the apk file onto there.
I have a laptop - an android emulator?? Da fuq is that? An app??!!

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne

msim3011

Apr 9, 2020
SCOTLAND
yes that emulates an android phone and lets you play mobile games on pc etc, it was really big during the pokemon hype cos you could spoof your location as walking around whilst sat in your house.

nox and bluestacks are the main ones Noxplayer – Fastest and Smoothest Android Emulator for PC & Mac – Free and Safe BlueStacks – Best Mobile Gaming Platform for PC & Mac | 100% Safe and FREE
Thanks pal, appreciate your replies. Tried LDplayer but wouldn’t connect to the bike. Need to find an old Android phone! PITA

lockin

Dec 1, 2020
Wrocław
Hi all, new member here.

Just wanted to share my experience using ST Unlocker. I have a Norco Fluid VLT A1 and was not happy with the 25kmh cut-off as it is right on cruising speed.

I followed instructions found on the internet to downgrade the firmware via Android, connected ST Unlocker and requested a licence (which arrived promptly) and changed the region to US. I then reconnected E-Tube on my iPhone and upgraded to the latest firmware.

I'm happy to report everything worked smoothly and I've now ridden ~70kms and from my perspective, it has transformed the bike.

View attachment 112950 View attachment 112951

I have kept the older versions of E-Tube and firmware on the Android phone (dedicated for this use) in case I ever need to revert the changes for whatever reason.

For those who notice the change in battery health, well that is another story. I purchased the bike with a 900Wh battery but discovered the LBS had installed a 540Wh battery so they had to order me a new battery which I had just installed prior to capturing the screenshot, hence the 100% (0 cycles).
Yes actually my expirience is the same. 25km cut off is bulshit low. It's not that that I need more then that but around 24km motor actually slows the bike itself. It is almost impossible to have a pleasant ride like this. 32km is fine.

djull

May 29, 2023
france
Hi,

I actually hesitate between orbea 2022 discounted and 2023 range and I'm asking myself if you are confident to get unlock of new ep 801 and ep 600 motors in the future or not, even only by a pc interface and not as easy as today by BT. I live in europe so the 25 km limit is just too small. Thanks a lot for this.

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
Hi,

I actually hesitate between orbea 2022 discounted and 2023 range and I'm asking myself if you are confident to get unlock of new ep 801 and ep 600 motors in the future or not, even only by a pc interface and not as easy as today by BT. I live in europe so the 25 km limit is just too small. Thanks a lot for this.
Right NOW only using Pce02…i deem in 2 months will be possible using app

Eethon

Jun 9, 2023
UK
I’ve just bought the following bike: Orange Phase RS 2023

Can I change the region etc with your app and the premium licence? If so is there anything else I need to order in advance like cables etc please? @vadII

Eethon

Jun 9, 2023
UK
I’ve just bought the following bike: Orange Phase RS 2023

Can I change the region etc with your app and the premium licence? If so is there anything else I need to order in advance like cables etc please? @vadII
Bugger just read the motor is ep801 and seems not to be supported.
Where I ordered the bike it only referred to the motor as an EP8. Manufacturer website says otherwise

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
Yes looks promising. I think I might wait to see if STUnlocker gets an update.

I’d also probably wait until the app can reset the error code that cripples the motor if it detects manipulation.
Anyway this mofidification, power limit change for rs ,right NOW it is only possible using pce02 interface

Lou

Mar 11, 2023
Mol Belgium
Hello, can I post my question in Dutch?
Ik heb de ST UNLOCKER op mijn Orbea Rise gezet via mijn iPhone. Ik wil nu de Bike verkopen en de EP8RS terug in de fabrieksinstellingen. zetten, maar hoe doe ik dat? Plaese houd het eenvoudig want ik ben niet zo geweldig in deze dingen...
Thanks in advance....
Regards,
Lou

Eethon

Jun 9, 2023
UK
Hello, can I post my question in Dutch?
Ik heb de ST UNLOCKER op mijn Orbea Rise gezet via mijn iPhone. Ik wil nu de Bike verkopen en de EP8RS terug in de fabrieksinstellingen. zetten, maar hoe doe ik dat? Plaese houd het eenvoudig want ik ben niet zo geweldig in deze dingen...
Thanks in advance....
Regards,
Lou
So are you hoping to find a Dutch person to respond? Or expecting everyone who wants to read it to use google translate?
I personally would try and translate to the main language used on the forum I was asking for help on, I’m trying to understand what the reasoning is you haven’t done it?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Anyway this mofidification, power limit change for rs ,right NOW it is only possible using pce02 interface
Are you able to change power and torque settings on the ep801? I have the pce02 + STunlocker on 2021 Rise, I run at 75nm max and 500W max and love it, can't go back, I'm asking for future Rise purchase (2023 model)

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
Are you able to change power and torque settings on the ep801? I have the pce02 + STunlocker on 2021 Rise, I run at 75nm max and 500W max and love it, can't go back, I'm asking for future Rise purchase (2023 model)
No possible any change in power limit using app for ep801

pawelww

Aug 27, 2023
Polska

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles