• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Anyone tried the new Sep 6, 2023 Ver. 4.1.11 - General bug fixes firmware with STU yet?
Don't install latest firmwares (4.1.11, 4.9.5, 4.7.7) if you have derestricted bike or you want to derestrict it. You can't do anything after that, even downgrade will not work

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Well, bugger. My E7000 is playing up so was going to get the shop to swap it out. Bit of a pain if the new motor then can't be derestricted.

Will there be a work around do you think?

digs777

Sep 8, 2023
Canada
My bike came with 4.7.7 (e7000) am I out of luck?
Sorry I stand corrected. Upon closer, less knucklebrained, reflection my came with 4.7.6. It did request to upgrade straight away, and not knowing any better (before I research the whole ST Unlocker thing) I obliged.

Now my bike was a May 2023 release, so the new bikes/motors today may very well come with 4.7.7, or at least may soon.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Thanks, VadII; you give me some hope! Would PCE(2) really work with 4.1.11? emax-tuning warns on their site: "It is also not possible via cable-bound PCE interface any more!"
I thought that this was so, since everything else (connection to a bike, reading settings) seemed to work as before. I have no way to check as I don't have access to supported motors.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Derestriction via PCE interface still works despite on latest firmware.
Moreover, the new STUnlocker for Windows allows to change power/torque limiters for new EP801/EP6 motors (useful for EP8/EP6 RS owners).

Shreddy

Sep 14, 2021
Surrey
So we can update ep8 to 4.1.11 and use the PCE2 to change all the usual derestriction settings via STU for Windows?
If so, do we need to reset settings to stock before upgrading?
Is it best to update to 4.1.11 via the PCE?

Just trying to work out the best approach.

Many thanks.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
So we can update ep8 to 4.1.11 and use the PCE2 to change all the usual derestriction settings via STU for Windows?
Yes, but is it worth it to upgrade from 4.1.10 to 4.1.11? I would not recommend upgrade to latest firmware 4.1.11. The 4.1.10 is fine and it's possible to downgrade via Bluetooth if you suddenly need it. My downgrade instruction has link to 4.1.10, so it possible to upgrade from 4.0.2 to 4.1.10 after the derestriction.

If so, do we need to reset settings to stock before upgrading?
No
Is it best to update to 4.1.11 via the PCE?
Bluetooth is not stable protocol, so the upgrade may fail.

KODAKHODAK

May 22, 2023
Australia
Hi all, new member here.

Just wanted to share my experience using ST Unlocker. I have a Norco Fluid VLT A1 and was not happy with the 25kmh cut-off as it is right on cruising speed.

I followed instructions found on the internet to downgrade the firmware via Android, connected ST Unlocker and requested a licence (which arrived promptly) and changed the region to US. I then reconnected E-Tube on my iPhone and upgraded to the latest firmware.

I'm happy to report everything worked smoothly and I've now ridden ~70kms and from my perspective, it has transformed the bike.

View attachment 112950 View attachment 112951

I have kept the older versions of E-Tube and firmware on the Android phone (dedicated for this use) in case I ever need to revert the changes for whatever reason.

For those who notice the change in battery health, well that is another story. I purchased the bike with a 900Wh battery but discovered the LBS had installed a 540Wh battery so they had to order me a new battery which I had just installed prior to capturing the screenshot, hence the 100% (0 cycles).
Hi Guys, I have a DU-EP800 with ver. 4.1.11 software updated, is it simple to derestrict? Little new to this stuff and keen to get my Norco Range unlocked to get more speed.

Evan

Aug 30, 2020
Sevenoaks
Hey @vadII, I have a 2022 Orbea Rise M-ltd - so EP8RS motor. I have changed the region to US to increase max limit to 32Kph. To get it higher than that, I believe I need to reduce the wheel size to the smallest possible (on a 29 inch wheel) and that I should be able to get to 42km/h max by doing so. Is that correct?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hey @vadII, I have a 2022 Orbea Rise M-ltd - so EP8RS motor. I have changed the region to US to increase max limit to 32Kph. To get it higher than that, I believe I need to reduce the wheel size to the smallest possible (on a 29 inch wheel) and that I should be able to get to 42km/h max by doing so. Is that correct?
Yes, with 1300mm you'll get around 42km/h of the real speed

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Don't install latest firmwares (4.1.11, 4.9.5, 4.7.7) if you have derestricted bike or you want to derestrict it. You can't do anything after that, even downgrade will not work
Since the someone posted a patched ETube App for Android - the downgrade from latest firmware versions is available again. The downgrade instructions are updated.

Evan

Aug 30, 2020
Sevenoaks
How do you set to 1300mm? The smallest option I get is "700c" (whatever that means) which equates to 2072. I can adjust that by -5% but that's it. There's no 1300mm option.
Don't worry about answering that. I worked it out (rtfm). What would the effect of using the correction field be. If I set it to -5%, would that give me a further 5% on top of that? Or would it need to go in the other direction to do that?

Evan

Aug 30, 2020
Sevenoaks
There is a custom option where you can set any value from 1300 to 3000
Yep found that now, thanks. What about the correction field? If I set it to -5%, would that give me a further 5% speed? Or does it need to be +5% to do that? What is it correcting?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Yep found that now, thanks. What about the correction field? If I set it to -5%, would that give me a further 5% speed? Or does it need to be +5% to do that? What is it correcting?
The Display speed correction affects on values on a display only

roqrockus

Nov 10, 2022
oahu hawaii
Hello I have a question that might have been answered already but i'll try anyway. If I have the pce-02 with the windows STunlocker program can I derestrict without downgrading firmware on a E8000?

The VooDoo

Sep 26, 2023
Italy
Because in the Shimano E-Tube app there is no way to see battery health but only the battery charge level (if I'm not wrong), may I use STUnlocker to view this data without voiding the warranty?

In other words, if I use STUnlocker just to view the Shimano motor and battery data, without changing anything, this may cause any problems to the shimano systems or void the warranty?

Thanks!

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Can you explain why connecting to a Bluetooth device (Shimano display) should violate the warranty? In any case, Shimano can say anything (without presenting any evidence, for sure) , even if you have never turned on the bike to ride on it. I saw many such cases even on this forum.

The VooDoo

Sep 26, 2023
Italy
Can you explain why connecting to a Bluetooth device (Shimano display) should violate the warranty?
You're right...I'm just asking as double-check, to be sure to don't make any mistake! ;)

In any case, Shimano can say anything (without presenting any evidence, for sure) , even if you have never turned on the bike to ride on it.
I'm new to this forum and surely new to Shimano motors (I've used Giant/Yamaha), can you explain me what you mean?

Thank you so much for your reply!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles