• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Yes ,I get that when i try to down load the ST unlocker Android app
Where did you get it? App doesn't have such messages
p.s. Anyway, what is your question?

Last edited:

shushu

Apr 2, 2023
Switzerland
Hello All,

For 2 years now, I used St unlocker for my EP8, and I derestricted my EP8. It works great :).
Do I need to update my firmware with the last version of E-TUBE ? Or it's not necessary ?

Thank you very much

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
If I update EP8 to the new firmware 4.1.10 will it reset any changes made with Stunlocker and has anyone updated to 4.1.10 that has used Stunlocker?

Tribanas

Jul 13, 2021
Portugal
Hello,

I instaled stunlocker only to see how many battery cycles i had and also the numerical battery status. I did not change anything.
Do this app void the garanty only by conecting it to the bike ?
I realy need to know this because i probably will need to send my motor unit to shimano in the future

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
Hello,

I instaled stunlocker only to see how many battery cycles i had and also the numerical battery status. I did not change anything.
I realy need to know this because i probably will need to send my motor unit to shimano in the future
No problem for connections

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
Hello,

Model 2023?

stuart_75

Apr 12, 2023
UK
Hi, hoping someone here can help!

I'm trying to downgrade/upgrade the firmware on my new EP8 and the Bluetooth connection keeps dropping out mid way through for no reason. The phone is right next to the handlebar display/computer and I've tried several times.

Has anyone has the same issues? Is the only way to use the rather expensive PC connection?

After several attempts to re-write the f/w using Android steps app, it now displays the E035 error which I guess means its bricked. 😭

Last edited:

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
Hi, hoping someone here can help!

I'm trying to downgrade/upgrade the firmware on my new EP8 and the Bluetooth connection keeps dropping out mid way through for no reason. The phone is right next to the handlebar display/computer and I've tried several times.

Has anyone has the same issues? Is the only way to use the rather expensive PC connection?

After several attempts to re-write the f/w using Android steps app, it now displays the E035 error which I guess means its bricked. 😭
I had exactly this problem despite following the instructions perfectly, the downgrade reached 47% and the Bluetooth connection failed. I spoke to the Developer of ST Unlocker about the instructions they provided for this process and to say they were rude and unhelpful would be an understatement.
I was told I had not followed the instructions and it must have been my fault!
I had to take my bike to the LBS and have the firmware restored at a cost of £35.

Stupildly I then questioned if I had in fact made a mistake in the process and decided to have another attempt at the downgrade!! Followed instructions perfectly (again) and the process failed (again) at 47%. Bluetooth connection interrupted.

Too embarrassed to go to the LBS again I have since purchased a Shimano PC unit from German (£235) and have restored the Firmware myself.

Be warned this is not a guarenteed process and I think currently there is something in the Shimano firmware that is preventing a downgrade completing.

No doubt the Developer will tell me I'm wrong and don't know how to follow instructions!

Please note this is not a comment about the ST Unlocker App itself which I understand is very good. Simply the bluetooth downgrade instructions which may currently prove to be problematic.

stuart_75

Apr 12, 2023
UK
I had exactly this problem despite following the instructions perfectly, the downgrade reached 47% and the Bluetooth connection failed. I spoke to the Developer of ST Unlocker about the instructions they provided for this process and to say they were rude and unhelpful would be an understatement.
I had to take my bike to the LBS and have the firmware restored at a cost of £35.

Stupildly I then questioned if I had in fact made a mistake in the process and decided to have another attempt at the downgrade!! Followed instructions perfectly (again) and the process failed (again) at 47%. Bluetooth connection interrupted.

Too embarrassed to go to the LBS again I have since purchased a Shimano PC unit from German (£235) and have restored the Firmware myself.

Be warned this is not a guarenteed process and I think currently there is something in the Shimano firmware that is preventing a downgrade completing.

No doubt the Developer will tell me I'm wrong and don't know how to follow instructions!

Please note this is not a comment about the ST Unlocker App itself which I understand is very good. Simply the bluetooth downgrade instructions which may currently prove to be problematic.
Hi Lenny,

Thanks for the reply. Could you PM me please re the PC adapter?

Thanks
Stuart

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
So if that is definitely not your fault, am I correct in assuming that this is my fault? If so, can you please explain to me what exactly my fault is?

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
So if that is definitely not your fault, am I correct in assuming that this is my fault? If so, can you please explain to me what exactly my fault is?
Here we go again! Give it a rest fella. You are boring.
You assume wrong yet again so therefore you are incorrect in your assumption.
Where have i said this is your fault?
Give it a rest and just accept that people are having issues with the downgrade following the instructions that you provide.
You shouldnt be putting the blame back onto your customers, not good practice. But whatever, I have no interest in you, my initial reply was to someone else with the same issue as me, so do one! I have no interest in your input.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Where have i said this is your fault?
Everywhere, including this thread: "rude, wrong, broken bike, spend extra money and etc. "

Give it a rest and just accept that people are having issues with the downgrade following the instructions that you provide.
What's wrong with the instructions exactly? You didn't answer on this question in the email. So please answer here.
You shouldnt be putting the blame back onto your customers, not good practice. But whatever, I have no interest in you, my initial reply was to someone else with the same issue as me, so do one! I have no interest in your input.
You blamed me first in your email, blamed my work, blamed my instructions and etc.

I am a human being, not a bot. I work 17 hours a day, seven days a week. This includes answering your questions and complaints in real time. I try to help absolutely everyone, but when a bunch of crap gets dumped on me right away, I have no desire to act friendly with that person.

P.S. I'm still waiting for your answer about "wrong instructions"

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
Everywhere, including this thread: "rude, wrong, broken bike, spend extra money and etc. "

What's wrong with the instructions exactly? You didn't answer on this question in the email. So please answer here.

You blamed me first in your email, blamed my work, blamed my instructions and etc.

I am a human being, not a bot. I work 17 hours a day, seven days a week. This includes answering your questions and complaints in real time. I try to help absolutely everyone, but when a bunch of crap gets dumped on me right away, I have no desire to act friendly with that person.

P.S. I'm still waiting for your answer about "wrong instructions"
Ha ha, point proven.

Go away and re-read my initial post it would seem you are adding extra narrative of you own.

I think you also may need to assess exactly which "customer" you are referring to as my emails do not contain any of the above so you appear to be confused amongst all the customers that may contact you with problems.

Keep ranting, I wont be responding so continue to create your own narrative that suits.

The customer is always wrong!!

Keep doing what you are doing, enjoy the money.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Ha ha, point proven.

Go away and re-read my initial post it would seem you are adding extra narrative of you own.

I think you also may need to assess exactly which "customer" you are referring to as my emails do not contain any of the above so you appear to be confused amongst all the customers that may contact you with problems.

Keep ranting, I wont be responding so continue to create your own narrative that suits.

The customer is always wrong!!

Keep doing what you are doing, enjoy the money.
OMG... Such a shame...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sounds understandably frustrating from both sides.

In fairness to @vadII he does normally seem to go out of his way to provide answers to people and normally very quickly. Admittedly some of his answers are short and not sugar coated, but when you see that most of the conversations go something like :

User : It doesn't work.
Vadll : Did you follow the Instructions.
User : What instructions ?

User : It doesn't work, it's sh1t.
Vadll: What doesn't work, did you read the instructions.
User: Of course I read the instructions, I'm not stupid.
Vadll: Where did you download the firmware from ?
User : I didn't want to downgrade the firmware so I didn't need it.

and so on ..

Obviously doing something for the first time which you're not familiar with can be stressful and confusing. Trying to help someone do that remotely by e-mail will also be difficult, especially when you can't see what they're doing and they might not be giving the correct information as it's all new to them and they're probably frustrated and worried about what they're doing.

There used to be another member who always helped out, answered the questions, shared files and so on, butthey got so pissed off with people complaining who'd not read the instructions or read the wrong ones, they gave up.

In this case, as to who's fault something is isn't overly relevant but @lenny74 did say :

Whilst you're not openly saying it's Vadll's fault, it is implied in all of your posts - if you mean it or not.

You're obviously and reasonably frustrated but saying things like :

Keep doing what you are doing, enjoy the money

When the normal version is free anyway seems a bit unfair ? But hey, you're pissed as you had to go buy more crap to fix it.

More importantly, for nearly everyone it works. For @lenny74 and @stuart_75 - it hasn't.

From Vadll's perspective, as it works for him and everyone else following the instructions, the most logical conclusion is that you guys must be doing something wrong. This might be an etube version thing or a faulty firmware download which is corrupted - who knows. It could also be something to do with your phone type ? Your bluetooth configuration/version phone power saving options/optimisations. Other Bluetooth interference (anything on 2.4ghz) or something specific to your particular bikes which is different to everyone elses.

I'm not saying you'll be able to work out between you what the problem is but maybe if you all get together in a PM and start with a white flag .... note each of your bike specs, how you did the downgrade, phone types and anything else you can compare with each other. Stuart_75 can't start the conversation as he doesn't have enough posts.

Or you can just not bother, all be angry with each other and say feck it :)

JanSan333

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Does the licence expire over time?
Using stunlocker several years now and I'm no longer abel to change the wheel circumference or restriction area.

Screenshot_2023-04-27-08-05-31-02_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg IMG_20230426_185844.jpg

JanSan333

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
When you bought the Premium license - you got the email message with the license and instructions how to apply it
Yes, But that was years ago. Don't think i still have that mail.
Any idee why the premium license has stopt.?
Still same battery's, still same motor.
Thanks for the reply.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles